Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

LupusAter posted:

Oh gently caress, just realized that the next season of the anime will bring back the nerdraging about one million percent. I hope they go with an alternate wording.
Looking forward to see how many (wrong and bad) people won't Believe in All Might, tho.

i was a catchup reader so i missed this - what was the issue?

like obviously it wasn't ACTUALLY 1 million % or deku would have instantly vaporized. thats still one of my favorite moments of the entire series

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

tbp posted:

i was a catchup reader so i missed this - what was the issue?

like obviously it wasn't ACTUALLY 1 million % or deku would have instantly vaporized. thats still one of my favorite moments of the entire series

Stubborn nerds taking hyperbole at face value and arguing to the death that either he really did go 1 million percent or that the comic is LYING (not exaggerating for the sake of impact, LYING) about how much power he used.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I forget, did he yell "ONE MILLION!!!" or "1000000!!!!"?

Sarcophallus
Jun 12, 2011

by Lowtax

Mraagvpeine posted:

I forget, did he yell "ONE MILLION!!!" or "1000000!!!!"?

Are you suggestion he yelled out,

"ONE ZERO ZERO ZERO ZERO ZERO ZERO"

?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I took it as him really extending "one hundred".

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Fabricated posted:

I took it as him really extending "one hundred".

That's where I was going with that.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
I actually hate how long this current arc is going because it means less school stuff which means less chance of seeing Hatsune Mei animated ever again before I'm like 40 years old.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I wonder if Vigilantes will ever get an animated thing. I doubt they'd get their own series, but maybe an OVA?

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I do think Vigilantes has more room to explore interesting stuff about the setting even if it's by a different author.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Xarbala posted:

I do think Vigilantes has more room to explore interesting stuff about the setting even if it's by a different author.

It's already had better world building that the whole main comic

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

Top tier moms.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

This is the best.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Gotta say, those sneakers are still pretty rad IRL.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

quote:

Thanks for following us, everyone.

It’s finally time for Fallen Angels to bid goodbye to this as yet incredible, engrossing and revolutionary series. We’ve all decided it’s time we made a clean break from scanlating the mainline series in favor of focusing on continuing to translate the side material that’s not already being translated elsewhere, such as SMASH, the volume extras, and the side guides and novels. (The existing work on the character guide will be migrated to a separate archive.)

It’s been a privilege and a joy to have played a part, however small, in the history of this series and its global fandom.
Now go follow the official release.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

They did that for Shokugeki too :(

It's a shame, they did a way better job than MS

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

Isn't the official translation worse than their stuff though, like the Viz version of OPM compared to the good fan translation team? :( Aw well, at least there's the dub for a good script.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

it would seem less stupid to me if they hadn't cited moving to projects like databooks and the 4koma spinoff, poo poo i couldn't care less about in the face of the main series

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Last Celebration posted:

Isn't the official translation worse than their stuff though, like the Viz version of OPM compared to the good fan translation team? :( Aw well, at least there's the dub for a good script.

Viz is fine, calm the hell down and get the drat subscription.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

dogsicle posted:

it would seem less stupid to me if they hadn't cited moving to projects like databooks and the 4koma spinoff, poo poo i couldn't care less about in the face of the main series

More than enough translators for the main series (MS, JBox) and not many ways to access the side stuff. I don't see any problem with this even if I'll miss their translations.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

Hate-Senpai posted:

More than enough translators for the main series (MS, JBox) and not many ways to access the side stuff. I don't see any problem with this even if I'll miss their translations.

i don't particularly pay attention to translation differences so if jbox isn't a big step down yeah i guess it's fine. i wasn't aware the series had so many competing scans. mangastream sucks though.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I got the impression they sort of handed it off to jaiminis box. They were both translating it for a while there.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Waffleman_ posted:

Viz is fine, calm the hell down and get the drat subscription.

No

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
My only complaint with jaiminis box was that they were not doing Hunter X Hunter when it was coming out as well.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Please?

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
My only issue with the official translations is some characters lack a bit of flavor. All Might sometimes comes across a lot less jolly and boisterous than in most of the scans.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Viz is very dry and literal as most professional translations are. They've messed up pretty bad a handful of times too.

I need to check my official volumes again but they completely botch some lines and mix up who is actually speaking.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.

Fabricated posted:

Viz is very dry and literal as most professional translations are. They've messed up pretty bad a handful of times too.

I need to check my official volumes again but they completely botch some lines and mix up who is actually speaking.

Viz isn't awful, but yeah, the amount of times they get speech bubbles wrong across their catalog is kind of surprising. Sometime's it's not even particularly difficult layouts or anything where they get them switched, either. I remember that the first print run of the 2nd or 3rd volume of the One Piece manga had the last few pages of the thing replaced with the first few pages of the last chapter, I think missing out on a big ending move. It was so long ago that I don't remember the exact details, but it really hurt their reputation with me for awhile.

Of course, this isn't unique to them, and scanlations do it a lot too, but I'd expect more from a professional team with, ostensibly, a similarly professional QA team.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
One of my main issues with fan translations is they will always, throughout all of time and history, translate "drat you!" To "suck a gently caress rear end in a top hat, eat my dick idiot fucker bitch!!!", presumably because they feel defensive about spending all their free time translating comics aimed at 12 year olds.

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

RabidWeasel
Aug 4, 2007

Cultures thrive on their myths and legends...and snuggles!

A Good Translation

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Work Friend Keven posted:

One of my main issues with fan translations is they will always, throughout all of time and history, translate "drat you!" To "suck a gently caress rear end in a top hat, eat my dick idiot fucker bitch!!!", presumably because they feel defensive about spending all their free time translating comics aimed at 12 year olds.

I'm honestly more bothered by translations that try too hard to avoid profanity, the classic example being "darn you!" or "you jerk!" as a response to someone murdering your best friend (which I'm pretty sure I've seen from Viz more than once). There is usually a way to write a scene like that non-absurdly without using profanity, but it takes a bit more imagination than the translators seem to be capable of.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Silver2195 posted:

I'm honestly more bothered by translations that try too hard to avoid profanity, the classic example being "darn you!" or "you jerk!" as a response to someone murdering your best friend (which I'm pretty sure I've seen from Viz more than once). There is usually a way to write a scene like that non-absurdly without using profanity, but it takes a bit more imagination than the translators seem to be capable of.

VIZ are pretty good for this now, even in MHA they had All Might say "poo poo" when Deku is holding onto him mid-air in the opening chapter. I loving hate instead of Bakugo saying "Shut the hell up, Deku, you drat nerd" fan translator's write "shut the gently caress up you loving asswipe" it's terrible. The worst. Only villains do that.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Bakugou doesn't even strike me as the kind of character who'd know many curse words, and who'd just use a lot of the same ones over and over. He's blunt as a stack of hammers, getting creative instead of using mainstays like "drat" and "poo poo" and other stuff like that feels more his style.

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Silver2195 posted:

Yeah, I will admit that I wish Viz used at least a little profanity in One Piece. I'm 100% fine with them staying away from words like "poo poo", "gently caress", and "rear end in a top hat" which don't really fit with the tone of that story, but from what I've seen they seem to shy away from even using "drat you".

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Bakugou's speech is so lame when literally translated because how insanely rude he's being doesn't come across in a literal translation. Bakugou uses plainforms and kuso a lot. Everything is lovely. lovely Deku. lovely Hair. lovely this. lovely that.

I think Mangastream in particular goes over the top a lot but lacing the translation with expletives and insults is about as close as you can get to conveying how much of a prick he is to everyone. It's a tone thing.

SpacePig posted:

Viz isn't awful, but yeah, the amount of times they get speech bubbles wrong across their catalog is kind of surprising. Sometime's it's not even particularly difficult layouts or anything where they get them switched, either. I remember that the first print run of the 2nd or 3rd volume of the One Piece manga had the last few pages of the thing replaced with the first few pages of the last chapter, I think missing out on a big ending move. It was so long ago that I don't remember the exact details, but it really hurt their reputation with me for awhile.

Of course, this isn't unique to them, and scanlations do it a lot too, but I'd expect more from a professional team with, ostensibly, a similarly professional QA team.
I've always been of the opinion that a lot of this stuff gets rushed and the real translators are just looking at a text script or something because there are some seriously boneheaded fuckups in the official volumes.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009
Bakugou seems to be the one time the super swear heavy translation is probably the best way to do it. He's exactly as nasty as he comes across with that language.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I rank the translations

Hypothetical translation handled by me in my everlasting greatness>Viz>Mangastream>Funimation>Everyone else'

TL note: i haven't read anyone other than the official and MS versions

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Ive finally gotten to that part Bakugo and Midoriya gently caress. Finally all that tension is let off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
MHA has definitely taken a beating in the Jump ratings department. It's been like 8th/9th place for 3-4 chapters now. It hadn't fallen out of the top 5 for almost its entire 3 year run until now.