Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
Looks like Mecha Gaikotsu is going to be done with videos for a bit, he's leaving Japan:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qtLhohj5Lyk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Is that the suit from hathaway's flash?

Yeah, that's the Xi. You can kinda see the Penelope next to it, but I don't have a photo until I get home.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

asterioth posted:

Looks like Mecha Gaikotsu is going to be done with videos for a bit, he's leaving Japan:

As someone who's been living in Japan for longer than him, I would have to disagree with him, it's still pretty awesome. :v:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

asterioth posted:

look at this guy who thinks he can escape the end of the world

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Decided to build the SD Hi-Nu Gundam, I did a small amount of painting mostly with a chrome pen I got, it worked alright on some areas, the shield mainly. But it doesn't look that great on the feet/arm cuff area, I'm probably going to strip that later and go with some silver paint or something. Went with a thick panel lining on this to make the details come out a bit more since its such a small kit. Overall I really like this kit alot, it's also nice and cheap too, cost me like $12 I think. Also tried using a lightbox I got for cheap:

With bazooka and no effect parts:

With it's bigger much different brother, I still need to go back and do all the waterslides on the ver.ka at some point:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
It might just be my love for SRW, but I feel a lot of the hero suits look better in SD form than full scale. I think it's just the style of exaggerating what makes them unique while downplaying the more standard aspects.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Does anyone know what makes for a good container/folder for extra/leftover waterslide sheets?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Taintrunner posted:

Does anyone know what makes for a good container/folder for extra/leftover waterslide sheets?

Comic book backboards cut down to fit in sandwich bags, if you're serious about preserving them. Takes up a bunch of space, though.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

So I'm working on the Hayaku Shiki 2.0, while covering one of the few nub marks i've noticed that the gundam markers take the HK's coating off. Good thing I found that out on the underside of the hands, plus the gold marker matches nicly. Panel lining this thing is going to be a loving nightmare though.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

I finished bunny gundam. I painted the hatch red cuz it looks better that way. now to build it's guns.

E: is this thing actually capable of it's transformation or is it not really possible? it has so many of the necessary thing there but i can't for the life of me figure out what to do.

Diabetes Forecast fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 28, 2017

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
So GMC's facebook page is reporting that Dragon Momoko's factory might be getting shut down by the Bandai cops. I really hope they can rebrand and get back to work in the future. The timing sucks too - I JUST preordered their Astray Blue Second/Third Frame. :(

Sefal
Nov 8, 2011
Fun Shoe
Progress

Not as hard as i thought it would be. Need to find some time this weekend to finish it

Sefal fucked around with this message at 11:39 on Sep 28, 2017

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

asterioth posted:

So I'm working on the Hayaku Shiki 2.0, while covering one of the few nub marks i've noticed that the gundam markers take the HK's coating off. Good thing I found that out on the underside of the hands, plus the gold marker matches nicly. Panel lining this thing is going to be a loving nightmare though.

Hayaku? Perhaps, 3 times hayaku? :hurr:

I did see that about Gundam Markers taking off metallic coatings in a book I have. The gold marker is pretty much the most reliable color I've tried though, it worked great for some details on Beargguy P. On the other side of things I find red never mixes properly.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
So after finishing Neo-Yokio I now want a Charles plamo.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Diabetes Forecast posted:

E: is this thing actually capable of it's transformation or is it not really possible? it has so many of the necessary thing there but i can't for the life of me figure out what to do.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hX8KNrV9qCg

Around 5:00 she shows how, sorta; it cant use the gun, involves removing the top half of the figure, and a lot of elements aren't facing the right way.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

TaurusOxford posted:

So GMC's facebook page is reporting that Dragon Momoko's factory might be getting shut down by the Bandai cops. I really hope they can rebrand and get back to work in the future. The timing sucks too - I JUST preordered their Astray Blue Second/Third Frame. :(

Eh don't want to be a huge dick about it, but they are pirating bandai's stuff. Can't blame Bandai on this one.

asterioth posted:

I used a black enamel wash for panel lining my shiki 2.0 and cleaned up the excess with zippo lighter fluid. Didn't touch the gold coating at all.

That Gobbo
Mar 27, 2010
That's unfortunate, I've heard good things about their kits and I was considering picking up that blue astray.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm mostly just surprised it didn't happen sooner, since DM got their start just selling Tallgeese variants, including one that was just the original Tallgeese + spear.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Monaghan posted:

Eh don't want to be a huge dick about it, but they are pirating bandai's stuff. Can't blame Bandai on this one.

Then I hope Bandai intends on releasing their own MG Astray Blue Frame Third. :colbert:

Makes me glad I grabbed their MB Exia Repair when I did, as that has also been removed from GMC's site. That build is gonna be bitter-sweet.

Edit: Reading more into it, apparently this is Daban's fault cause they got pissy at DM for getting their MB Avalanche Exia out before Daban could release theirs, so Daban snitched to Bandai in retaliation.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Sep 28, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
How slim are the margins for third party stuff? Seems like the win-win situation would be Bandai licensing out suits that they don't see as profitable enough to make for themselves.

I mean I assume that's how a lot of third party figures survive so long despite not exactly being secretive; the owning company just doesn't think that there's enough interest to design a figure themselves, and cracking down on -all- of them would lose fan trust.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sefal posted:

Progress

Not as hard as i thought it would be. Need to find some time this weekend to finish it

I finished one a while ago, fuckin' godspeed man. That thing is an absolute marathon, but it's so worth it at the end. Of course, I went out and bought the Phantom Pain one because I hate myself.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Neurolimal posted:

How slim are the margins for third party stuff? Seems like the win-win situation would be Bandai licensing out suits that they don't see as profitable enough to make for themselves.

I mean I assume that's how a lot of third party figures survive so long despite not exactly being secretive; the owning company just doesn't think that there's enough interest to design a figure themselves, and cracking down on -all- of them would lose fan trust.

That would be a really bad idea. Bandai is company that makes plastic models. Other companies that make plastic models are Bandai's competitors. Bandai doesn't want competing companies producing Gundam model kits. If the other company makes a subpar product, then that damages the entire brand. If the other company produces a superior product, then that just drives consumers to the other company's products. And either way, the competing company is making money from Gundam models, which they can use to expand and compete more with Bandai.

The actual reason Bandai doesn't go after the third party companies has nothing to do with fan trust, or some belief that the third party companies fill a niche. It's because those third-parties are all based out of China and going after them legally is expensive and a pain in the rear end.

Diabetes Forecast
Aug 13, 2008

Droopy Only

Darkman Fanpage posted:

So after finishing Neo-Yokio I now want a Charles plamo.

preferrably with a SIGNIFICANT redesign because holy gently caress he's ugly.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I always feel torn on stuff like this, there are quite a few angles working here:

1: It is IP theft
2: It's competing with the actual licence holder.
3: People loose their job (assuming it wasn't just 1 dude running a knockoff gunpla factory)
4: IP laws in general need a big overhaul, stuff doesnt go into public domain if companies can help it.
5: With the knockoff companies moving more into their own designs like metal build kits and kits-from-resin-ones (obviously heavily based on excisting work though) they sorta cater to a different segment of the model kit market.
6: The knockoffs are almost easier to get than the actual brands online exclusives.
7: They are still knockoffs though.
8: If its Daban making GBS threads on Dragon Monoko after all that is just a super lovely move.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Well gently caress I need to figure out how to afford that Exia Avalanche

I hope they rebrand and get back at it.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Five gets you ten that Momoko simply wasn't giving the local Party boss a big enough cut to prevent the raid.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

mikeycp posted:

I hope they rebrand and get back at it.

yeah, that's one of the reasons it's such a pain to try to go after Third Party groups

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I fully admit I am a giant hypocrite because I just a metalbuild 00Q kit. (or affordable real one)

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Diabetes Forecast posted:

preferrably with a SIGNIFICANT redesign because holy gently caress he's ugly.

no he's good to me.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Oh my loving god. :fap: :shepspends: :fap: :shepspends: :fap: :shepspends: :fap: :shepspends: :fap:
http://bandai-hobby.net/item/2130/

It looks so drat good.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
Where's my PG Hy-Gogg

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
I was thinking about what my first PG would be and now I think my decision has been made.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
i want that exia more than i want anything else

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Improbable Lobster posted:

Where's my PG Hy-Gogg

This. Very much this.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Makes sense why the LED version is so expensive, those ribbons probably have a disproportionate manufacturing cost.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
this is happening

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
That Exia is making me salivate. I'll have to save my pennies for a few months.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Guy Goodbody posted:

this is happening

gimme

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

Makes sense why the LED version is so expensive, those ribbons probably have a disproportionate manufacturing cost.

Unless i'm mistaken, aren't they just slightly opaque clear plastic funneling the light from the LED at one end through its form? Doesn't seem like the most expensive thing but maybe it's more complicated than I'm thinking. It's just what I'm figuring from the inner frame pics where the light ribbons are bright as one end.

In any case, that thing is gorgeous and despite not being really into 00 stuff in general it's the first PG I legit want.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Guy Goodbody posted:

this is happening

Scopedog?