Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

mallamp
Nov 25, 2009

Is anyone familiar with American Book Review? I'd really love to access one of their backlog issues, they got digital issues but only on project Muse which you can only access if you're in partnered university. Like you can't even buy Access, wtf? Don't they like money or am I missing something

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

V. Illych L.
Apr 11, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT LUMBER

Kant is also awful to read and lucid enough that secondary literature is usually sufficient for getting the gist of his arguments

no idea how vital that is to Schopenhauer, but I'd do almost anything to avoid having to read Kant or Hegel

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

On this topic I'm gonna be reading Heidegger soon, did he write anything short and good to put on the list besides Being and Time?

e: I'll note there's a dedicated philosophy thread for questions about these authors.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
schopenhauer owns uncontrollably bc he wrote things like this

Schopenhauer posted:

For the world is Hell, and men are on the one hand the tormented souls and on the other the devils in it.

quote:

That the most perfect manifestation of the will to live represented by the human organism, with its incomparably ingenious and complicated machinery, must crumble to dust and its whole essence and all its striving be palpably given over at last to annihilation - that is nature's unambiguous declaration that all the striving of the will is essentially vain.

quote:

We begin in the madness of carnal desire and the transport of voluptuousness; we end in the dissolution of all our parts and the musty stench of corpses.

quote:

If, having taken stock of human wickedness...you feel a sense of horror at it, you should straight away turn your eyes to the misery of human existence. Then you will see that they balance on another; you will become aware of the existence of an eternal justice; that the world itself is its own universal Last Judgment, and you will begin to understand why everything that lives must atone for its existence, first by living and then by dying.

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

chernobyl kinsman posted:

He's history's grumpiest Gus. It's funny to me to imagine him writing this stuff scowling out the window with his cat on his lap.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

Badass

Nostos
Nov 2, 2012

quote:

People keep a dog and are ruled by this dog, and even Schopenhauer was ruled in the end not by his head, but by his dog. This fact is more depressing than any other. Fundamentally it was not Schopenhauer's head that determined his thought, but Schopenhauer's dog. It was not the head that hated Schopenhauer's world, but Schopenhauer's dog. I don't have to be demented to assert that Schopenhauer had a dog on his shoulders and not a head.

david crosby
Mar 2, 2007

is that Thomas Bernhard? if it isn't it reads exactly like him lol.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

david crosby posted:

is that Thomas Bernhard? if it isn't it reads exactly like him lol.

it is

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
What's that bernhard bit against quotations

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
whats the best way to read the ramayana and mahabharata?

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

fridge corn posted:

very carefully

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

fridge corn posted:

start on the first page, friend

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
dont even bother if you're not reading it in the original Latin

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
So I am reading this book that was described to me as Faulkner with river-monsters and as the 100 Years of Solitude of Paperback Horror novels and I thought those were ridiculous statements so I found a copy and holy poo poo its actually Faulkner with river-monsters.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

So I am reading this book that was described to me as Faulkner with river-monsters and as the 100 Years of Solitude of Paperback Horror novels and I thought those were ridiculous statements so I found a copy and holy poo poo its actually Faulkner with river-monsters.

Isn't that by the dude who wrote Beetlejuice?

It sounds cool.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Franchescanado posted:

Isn't that by the dude who wrote Beetlejuice?

It sounds cool.

yup

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

Ras Het posted:

very carefully

ulvir posted:

start on the first page, friend

i was wondering if there was a preferred translation or maybe please don't troll me in this difficult time thanks

jsoh
Mar 24, 2007

O Muhammad, I seek your intercession with my Lord for the return of my eyesight
I just finished catch 22. it was good. what should I read next?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

i heard that the Beetlejuice movie we all know was like, agressively re-written so I guess this Faulkner w/ river monsters might be weird, although it decidedly is not literature.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

fridge corn posted:

i was wondering if there was a preferred translation or maybe please don't troll me in this difficult time thanks

Apparently this one is the first English translation of the ramayana to use the critical edition, although i don't really know that much about sanskrit epics so this isn't an ironclad recommendation or anything: https://press.princeton.edu/titles/1040.html

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

i heard that the Beetlejuice movie we all know was like, agressively re-written so I guess this Faulkner w/ river monsters might be weird, although it decidedly is not literature.

Based on?

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

the river monsters.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Mr. Squishy posted:

the river monsters.

seems an arbitrary boundary

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

Be just and if you can't be just be arbitrary, as the old judge said to another.

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
did a couple le carre novels which were v good, and now i'm on great expectations. my first dickens ! !

its funny and enjoyable

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

Mel Mudkiper posted:

seems an arbitrary boundary

Though it opens up a question of whether The Essex Serpent is literature.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

derp posted:

did a couple le carre novels which were v good,

no one le carres

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

Mel Mudkiper posted:

no one le carres

your mom did when she came in from the cold last night

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

derp posted:

your mom did when she came in from the cold last night

She was lonely because your mom was already with the Tinker, the Tailor, the Soldier, and the Spy

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

She was lonely because your mom was already with the Tinker, the Tailor, the Soldier, and the Spy

Sounds like a deadly affair

Officer Sandvich
Feb 14, 2010
god drat you people are unfunny

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Officer Sandvich posted:

That's not what I'd call a delicate truth.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Officer Sandvich posted:

thehoodie
Feb 8, 2011

"Eat something made with love and joy - and be forgiven"
I'm reading Libra by Don DeLillo. I think this might be my favourite book by him. Maybe because they are real people (or "real people") and not like philosophical archetypes and so the characters and dialogue feel a lot more natural and therefore interesting? Who knows. It has been a while since I read him last, in any case.

On another note, anyone have favourites for who will win the Nobel Prize this year?

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

thehoodie posted:

I'm reading Libra by Don DeLillo. I think this might be my favourite book by him. Maybe because they are real people (or "real people") and not like philosophical archetypes and so the characters and dialogue feel a lot more natural and therefore interesting? Who knows. It has been a while since I read him last, in any case.

On another note, anyone have favourites for who will win the Nobel Prize this year?

Oh cool, I just picked up Libra too. Always thought the way DeLillo wrote dialogue was atrocious so this makes me happy.

Also, some Asian dude.

Chamberk
Jan 11, 2004

when there is nothing left to burn you have to set yourself on fire
Libra was probably my favorite DeLillo as well. I liked White Noise too, but his writing for those kid characters was awfully artificial at times.

I read Underworld a long time back as well. I wasn't a huge fan of the book as a whole, but that first chapter is probably the best thing he's written.

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
i will lol irl if atwood really wins as the signs seem to point

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
no lols this year, just a boring dude winning the award

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
At least it wasn't a Paul or a Phil