Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

this feels like it happened months ago

https://twitter.com/jemelehill/status/913023949394595840

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
Most of my issues with the Ringer have been minor but putting "The Ski Lift" at #60 on the Curb Your Enthusiasm episode rankings is a loving crime

The_Hat
Sep 24, 2008

Grittybeard posted:

The Slurs? How does that even make sense?

L and P are pretty close together on the keyboard? idk thats all i got

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
They are slurring regular hard-working white folks with their liberal PC filth

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Slurs makes about as much sense as Libtards.

I guess what I'm saying is that conservatives/assholes usually aren't very clever, thoughtful, or funny.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Mahoning posted:

Slurs makes about as much sense as Libtards.

I guess what I'm saying is that conservatives/assholes usually aren't very clever, thoughtful, or funny.

"Libtards" makes sense- it's a portmanteau of 'liberal' and 'retard', the clear implication being that liberals are retards. 'Slurs' rhymes with 'Spurs', but there's no clear. Is the word 'Spur' a slur against someone? When he changes Spur to Slur, does 'Slur' become a euphamism for the N word? So maybe he's just trying to call them the N word.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

General Dog posted:

"Libtards" makes sense- it's a portmanteau of 'liberal' and 'retard', the clear implication being that liberals are retards. 'Slurs' rhymes with 'Spurs', but there's no clear. Is the word 'Spur' a slur against someone? When he changes Spur to Slur, does 'Slur' become a euphamism for the N word? So maybe he's just trying to call them the N word.

It's this:

morestuff posted:

They are slurring regular hard-working white folks with their liberal PC filth

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Ah, that old saw- the old "who are the real racists?"

Imagine being that mad at the Spurs about anything other than Lamarcus Aldridge.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

General Dog posted:

Ah, that old saw- the old "who are the real racists?"

Imagine being that mad at the Spurs about anything other than Lamarcus Aldridge.

Well if you're a Suns fan still mad about Rob Horry hip-checking Steve Nash into the scorer's table...

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair
Jesse Spector out here single-handedly selling us all on 280 characters.

https://twitter.com/jessespector/status/913097176074657797

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

Ski Lift is an all-time great Curb

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

R.D. Mangles posted:

Ski Lift is an all-time great Curb

these big vagina women are getting away with murder

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
If they put Palestinian Chicken outside the top 10 I will send an angry letter

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

So I really like Ben Lindbergh's work, both on baseball and video games. But man, does he have a weird voice. It's like he's constantly terrified that he's going to piss his pants or be interrupted by his dad. Does anyone else notice this? It's so weird.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

BWV posted:

So I really like Ben Lindbergh's work, both on baseball and video games. But man, does he have a weird voice. It's like he's constantly terrified that he's going to piss his pants or be interrupted by his dad. Does anyone else notice this? It's so weird.

That's just how geeks sound all the time

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
Yeah Linbergh is super good but has perpetual geek voice

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
It's like Klosterman (except without the eyerolling takes). I just feel an instinctive need to shove him in a locker.

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

BWV posted:

When I got to meet him the other week I said "I know how you sound, obviously, and I know how you look from Twitter and whatnot, but seeing your voice come out of your face was...weird." and apparently I'm not the first person to tell him that.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Be sure to check out the newest Ringer podcast "Smug Nails on a Chalkboard", with Chuck Klosterman and Malcom Gladwell.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/wyshynski/status/913796800678711296

given the state of yahoo i'm not surprised

is only r-lam left there for hockey

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

They're speculating the athletic in the main hockey thread but I'm not sure, everyone else who left for them just said so outright.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Remember the like 18 month period where Yahoo Sports was quietly the best sports site on the internet

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Remember the like 18 month period where Yahoo Sports was quietly the best sports site on the internet

I remember being linked to a lot of good content from Yahoo Sports to the point where I bookmarked it and started going on it every day. It was so poorly designed and/or ugly that I found myself struggling to find the good content or the things I wanted to read. At least compared to other sites I frequent. So i unbookmarked it.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends

Mahoning posted:

I remember being linked to a lot of good content from Yahoo Sports to the point where I bookmarked it and started going on it every day. It was so poorly designed and/or ugly that I found myself struggling to find the good content or the things I wanted to read. At least compared to other sites I frequent. So i unbookmarked it.

I follow the three decent writers they have left (Passan, Wetzel and Robinson) on twitter and wait for them to publish the links there then read it. It's design is so poor that you can't tell who's written what

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
Whenever a site does a redesign there are always people mad but when Yahoo Sports did basically everyone hated the new design and they were absolutely right to.

Wasn't it forced on them by some higher up who didn't actually work with them on it?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Feels Villeneuve posted:

Quietly? IIRC there was a brief time where they got more traffic than the main page of ESPN. And then they redesigned everything and :ughh:

It's the entire history of Yahoo in a nutshell: they get their hands on something that works, let it do it's own thing for a time, then decide they need to shake it up for *reasons*, and then they gently caress it all up and make it nearly worthless.

Crazy Ted fucked around with this message at 03:13 on Sep 30, 2017

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
This is the worst idea of all-time

https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/914171176120971269

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Bob Costas: <long monologue about respect and the olympics that never goes anywhere>

Jason Whitlock: COLIN KAEPERNICK IS A PAID RUSSIAN AGENT

Mahoning
Feb 3, 2007
Who let Tunch Ilkin out of his cage outside of a Steelers game?

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

Imagine how weird your experience of everyday life would be if you believed Jason Whitlock was a sane and insightful person.

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

and then

https://twitter.com/SI_PeterKing/status/914179036863221760

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

So glad I unfollowed King on Twitter.

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
"How Clay Travis rode the Trump wave from ordinary sports blogger to well-paid darling of the alt-right"

Interesting thru-line of how easy, cheap clickbait about sports turned into politics for Clay Travis.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This big republican dude I work with sent me a video that he said was hilarious by this guy who he said is "the best thing going today" and when I opened it, it was the Clay Travis boobs thing.

American McGay
Feb 28, 2010

by sebmojo
As a huge fan of the general entertainment league that is the NBA, these are my favorite write-ups of the year.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20849806/zach-lowe-2017-18-nba-league-pass-rankings-part-1

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20849807/zach-lowe-2017-18-nba-league-pass-rankings-part-2

Lowe is incredibly knowledgeable and knows how to touch on all the little details that make watching an NBA game fun.

soggybagel
Aug 6, 2006
The official account of NFL Tackle Phil Loadholt.

Let's talk Football.

Coco13 posted:

"How Clay Travis rode the Trump wave from ordinary sports blogger to well-paid darling of the alt-right"

Interesting thru-line of how easy, cheap clickbait about sports turned into politics for Clay Travis.

Leitch is right. He's put himself in a corner that he cannot escape.

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel

soggybagel posted:

Clay Travis getting himself stuck in a hell of his own making is going to be the most positive media development in the months and years to come

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.

AsInHowe posted:

Clay Travis getting himself stuck in a hell of his own making is going to be the most positive media development in the months and years to come

It won't matter. He's gonna be the bizarro version of Dave Zirin, the sports journalist for The Nation. They'll be booked to scream at each other for decades on television or FB Live or whatever brain implant is trendy in 2030.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

soggybagel posted:

Well, it depends if he wants to escape or not. If he doesn't, it's squeezing as much money as he can out of these morons before the well runs dry or the gig is up. Basically the usual playbook when it comes to fleecing the right wing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Donald Trump is our loving President. Is it really a corner he's going to be desperate to escape from anytime soon?