Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Black August posted:

the second I found out he's apparently voiced by a Jotaro VA,

poo poo the english dub already used Matt Mercer on Hit what are they gonna do

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

Augus posted:

They could just have Mercer voice him too. Dude has the skill to pull it off.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Augus posted:

Wait I'm an idiot

I meant Kenshiro

Black August fucked around with this message at 19:42 on Oct 3, 2017

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011

Monaghan posted:

I'm glad that the writers seem to be making jiren live up to all his hype.

I just hope Jiren has an actual personality and isn't just a generic silent fightman, because so far there's not much going for him other than 'is absurdly strong'.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

IncendiaC posted:

I just hope Jiren has an actual personality and isn't just a generic silent fightman, because so far there's not much going for him other than 'is absurdly strong'.

I hope that once he stops being able to no-sell Goku, he just starts going into absolutely awesome Protagonist Tirades about justice, and the nature of courage. Like, just reveal that he's exactly as goony as all the other Pride Troopers, but he keeps a lid on it unless he needs to do some Effort.

I would accept other things, too, I just hope that his silent, stoic thing is just like a mask he wears when he doesn't give a poo poo.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

deadly_pudding posted:

I would accept other things, too, I just hope that his silent, stoic thing is just like a mask he wears when he doesn't give a poo poo.

My personal hope is that he does speak, but he's just a very soft-spoken and a coldly disgusted being who sees Goku's fightlust as just plain reprehensible in the face of all the poo poo he's had to deal with

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

I think the best they can do with him is to keep his all-business thing going as long as he is winning; It's a job to him, an assignment.
Whatever they do once he starts losing I am happy to be surprised by.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Am I the only one who secretly hopes Jiren is evil? Not in the space-piratey Frost way, but like Buu-levels of genocide way. And Toppo knew.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
That would make literally no sense, but we've heard worse theories of DBS so

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Kashuno posted:

That would make literally no sense, but we've heard worse theories of DBS so

Their justice poo poo feels like a huge sham already though.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I want Jiren to be a good guy with a pure heart so the spirit bomb just bounces off of him or passes through him or whatever, completely leaving him unharmed

it would be a cool moment without making a no-sell of a spirit bomb seem super lame again

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
They 100% believe in Justice, it's just that in U11 "Justice" means "rape and pillage"

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

pik_d posted:

Their justice poo poo feels like a huge sham already though.

People keep saying this but I really doubt that's what the showrunners are going for. I mean, we had that Kahseral guy save a kitten from a burning building while putting his own life at risk, pretty sure we are meant to take their justice deal at face value.

What will actually happen is that Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Kaioken Times Twenty Limit Breaker Goku and Jiren fuse and fight the Grand Priest again, entertaining the Zenos so that they decide not to erase everything.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Kelp Plankton posted:

I want Jiren to be a good guy with a pure heart so the spirit bomb just bounces off of him or passes through him or whatever, completely leaving him unharmed

it would be a cool moment without making a no-sell of a spirit bomb seem super lame again

This would be an excellent no-sell. And hilarious when it gets bounced back at Goku, whose single-minded selfishness defines an evil heart. I'm pretty sure he's going to use the trick he *just* learned from Frieza in that Hakai bubble to eat the spirit bomb instead of getting nuked by it, and that's how he'll get his new form.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

well I mean, Goku was only able to originally make the Spirit Bomb because he had a pure heart. I doubt that it's changed now even though he's being a dick

like it makes more sense that he absorbs the energy of the Spirit Bomb as an SSB and that's what triggers the Limit Break

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

Kelp Plankton posted:

I'm going to be shocked if this isn't exactly what happens.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

It'd be weird if they pulled Frost again with the Pride Troopers

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Blue Star posted:

ehhhhh, he's not really wrong, to be honest. I've felt the same way about dbz. Like we never see the characters do anything different to show off their new levels of power. They've always been able to blow up mountains (or moons) and create big-rear end craters, they've always made the entire planet shake whenever they power up, they've always flown at jet speed, they've always moved so fast that they're basically teleporting around each other. It's just that some characters arbitrarily can't hurt others with their attacks.

But the narrator is a bit harsh of Toriyama. Toriyama was just writing a gag manga at the beginning, he wasn't trying to seriously "worldbuild" or any of that poo poo. He just figured "Well, Master Roshi is really strong, I'll have him show his power by blowing up Mt. Frypan with his energy attack and everyone will be like 'Whoa!'", and that was it. But later as the manga got more serious and became about fighting, it was necessary to introduce stronger and stronger dudes even though we had already started with a dude that could blow up the moon.

If you were to do Dragon Ball over again, like if someone was going to "reboot" Dragon Ball or some poo poo, then yeah obviously you fix that poo poo ahead of time because now you know where the series is going and have the benefit of hindsight. So maybe in early Dragon Ball, the characters are like Street Fighter characters: they got ki techniques but they aren't one-man armaggeddons. And then maybe by early DBZ, they're kinda like X-Men level: they can shoot beams that could level a building and they can fly but aint nobody is blowing up the whole earth or moving at the speed of light. And then in late, post-Super Saiyan DBZ, THEN you've got the ki beams that can level mountains and actually threaten the integrity of the planet itself. Like maybe have Freeza be the first guy who can actually blow up the planet, but even then he can't do it "casually", he has to hit it in its "weak spot" and let the chain reaction do the rest. Then by the time we get to Beerus, now we've got Gods of Destruction who can do it with their pinky in an instant. And manipulate time itself.

Just farting out some ideas. But point is the guy is right but its not really Toriyama's fault. Dragon Ball was always light hearted and non serious, never intended to be a serious exercise in Shonen "worldbuilding".

Reading this post prompted me to watch the video, holy moly that's some whiny nonsense.

I always feel a bit odd liking Dragonball because I really like the elements most people don't care for (the general goofiness) and don't care about things that seem to make everyone else blow a gasket, usually because I perceive Dragonball as an intrinsically goofy thing that just can't be taken seriously enough for Toriyama's supposed bad world building to matter.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Oct 3, 2017

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

jiren is actually just a broom covered in a coat and wig

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Augus posted:

You're talking about dragon ball dub, where Piccolo and Vegeta are voiced by the same guy

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Kelp Plankton posted:

Jiren gets hit by the ball,

And after a pause, is seen to be holding it, and then throws it back.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Wait poo poo so if we're looking at a theme where Freiza is now learning how to be immune to Hakai and even control its power, making him an effective Destroyer, then duh it makes sense that the conceptual opposite in the spirit bomb would go to Goku jacking himself up to GoD levels to stay even with ol' cold storage

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

khwarezm posted:

Toriyama's supposed bad world building to matter.
Other than the power levels thing that I don't want to start again, what exactly are people taking issue with here?

Is it just the inconsistencies created by the DBZ anime's filler?

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I think it's that people conflate DB with something else rather than taking it at face: a manga/anime that shifts between serious and goofy depending on what the scene calls for

it's the primary complaint about Super, how it's not at all like Z which is what everyone grew up on

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
It's a big thing for the kind of stuff people grew up with. You remember those awesome moments like WHOA REMEMBER WHEN GOKU WENT SUPER SAIYAN THE FIRST TIME HOW EPIC WAS THAT? OR PICCOLO KILLING HIM IN THEIR RADDITZ FIGHT!!" and act like DBZ is some big epic show with hella hardcore fighting.

But then they forget stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSezN0fXF9w https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpRNCDcstcQ

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Even Z, in its serious moments, had that same kind of poo poo.

You guys remember the drat near Looney Toons esque faces Freeza made when SSJ Goku literally slapped him silly right?

Or his death face?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I remember the lengthy arc of Dragonball Z where the protagonists fought a magic bubblegum genie who turned people into candy while trying to teach their children a magic dance that made them fat if they messed it up.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

ImpAtom posted:

I remember the lengthy arc of Dragonball Z where the protagonists fought a magic bubblegum genie who turned people into candy while trying to teach their children a magic dance that made them fat if they messed it up.

To be fair that fight got serious quick.

Then Vegetto happened.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Carlosologist posted:

I think it's that people conflate DB with something else rather than taking it at face: a manga/anime that shifts between serious and goofy depending on what the scene calls for

it's the primary complaint about Super, how it's not at all like Z which is what everyone grew up on
That seems more like an issue with tone or maybe genre, but I've definitely heard those complaints before.

When people say world building, I dunno I expected maybe there were some harcore Tuffles fans or something that were mad they had nothing to do with anything anymore.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

a cartoon duck posted:

People keep saying this but I really doubt that's what the showrunners are going for. I mean, we had that Kahseral guy save a kitten from a burning building while putting his own life at risk, pretty sure we are meant to take their justice deal at face value.

What will actually happen is that Super Saiyan God Super Saiyan Kaioken Times Twenty Limit Breaker Goku and Jiren fuse and fight the Grand Priest again, entertaining the Zenos so that they decide not to erase everything.

he also went 5 on 2 against another team...

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Kashuno posted:

It's a big thing for the kind of stuff people grew up with. You remember those awesome moments like WHOA REMEMBER WHEN GOKU WENT SUPER SAIYAN THE FIRST TIME HOW EPIC WAS THAT? OR PICCOLO KILLING HIM IN THEIR RADDITZ FIGHT!!" and act like DBZ is some big epic show with hella hardcore fighting.

But then they forget stuff like https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MSezN0fXF9w https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpRNCDcstcQ

hm. do you not understand the epicness of snake way?

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Snake way is inspirational to me. I like to run, and I ran 3100+ miles in 2014, 2015 and 2016. I figure we all have our own snake way to run, in one way or another.

a cartoon duck
Sep 5, 2011

Condiv posted:

He had to, or risk that kitten getting erased.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.

Condiv posted:

While literally saying "I don't like doing this but I have to protect my Universe."

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

khwarezm posted:

Reading this post prompted me to watch the video, holy moly that's some whiny nonsense.

I always feel a bit odd liking Dragonball because I really like the elements most people don't care for (the general goofiness) and don't care about things that seem to make everyone else blow a gasket, usually because I perceive Dragonball as an intrinsically goofy thing that just can't be taken seriously enough for Toriyama's supposed bad world building to matter.

Like if he wasn't such a massive douche in his video I could probably agree with his conclusion which is that creative power use is cool, but your man spends what, 20 minutes describing how Ki works and doesn't think at any point:

"Perhaps Ki increases how quickly you can react?" or "Perhaps these beams could blow up a universe, but none of the characters want to do that?"

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

As in turns out when you're dealing with a constant escalation of characters wielding earthshaking power it becomes really really difficult to illustrate the growth at a point without going full Gurren Lagann and just going absurd galactic scale.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Condiv posted:

Going 5 and 2 doesn't mean you're not a bad guy. Superhero teams fight a single baddy all the time.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

The Pride Troopers are in a situation where there is no good alternative and I do not think they can be blamed for trying to save their homes. I fully expect Toppo or Jiren's plan is to wish for every universe to come back, and if that is not possible, that all planets and stars affiliated with sentient beings be safely relocated into U11.

Some of them seem to kind of be assholes but this is true for a lot of superheroes too. Batman's an rear end in a top hat. Superman is sometimes a dick. Spider-man would be totally awful if you were opposed to him because he clowns on you and then calls you hurtful things.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Yorkshire Tea posted:

Like if he wasn't such a massive douche in his video I could probably agree with his conclusion which is that creative power use is cool, but your man spends what, 20 minutes describing how Ki works and doesn't think at any point:

"Perhaps Ki increases how quickly you can react?" or "Perhaps these beams could blow up a universe, but none of the characters want to do that?"

He does address that; he says if you're going faster than light or super reacting or whatever you're spending like 80% of the 'real time' talking because that doesn't fundamentally change because of Ki (also that there's no real way to even convey this other than Krillin or Roshi or whomever the commentator is going OH WOW THAT'S TOO FAST TO EVEN SEE) and that using a beam that took out half the universe would be loving stupid which you can see in the DBSuper version of the Beerus fight.

Kild fucked around with this message at 22:42 on Oct 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Kild posted:

He does address that; he says if you're going faster than light or super reacting or whatever you're spending like 80% of the 'real time' talking because that doesn't fundamentally change because of Ki and that using a beam that took out half the universe would be loving stupid.
The whole "giving lengthy speeches in the middle of action" is just a thing in these situations, I think the first clear example was a dude giving a full speech in the time it took an arrow to go from "the archer" to "the dude who was talking" in some Chinese classic.