Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
I’m shocked a show about aliens living on an earth that still has dinosaurs and talking animals isn’t super realistic.

Seriously that video is the dumbest clickbait crap

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Kashuno posted:

I’m shocked a show about aliens living on an earth that still has dinosaurs and talking animals isn’t super realistic.

Seriously that video is the dumbest clickbait crap

yeah it turns out you can suspend your belief that dinosaurs still exist but if you keep getting told people are faster than faster than fast or stronger and stronger than strong it starts getting hard to believe when they're shown doing the same things as 20 years ago.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
In fairness, one of the complaints that annoyed me was him constantly going 'its the same thing since Tao Pai Pai but with more numbers'. I'm not the biggest fan of Z, but I have to admit that by the time that they were fighting Frieza it was clearly on a hugely different scale in terms of ostentatious power displays than it was at any point in the original Dragonball series and you could tell by just watching the nutty fireworks on display without knowing about power levels.

It was in the succeeding arcs that what he's talking about really became obnoxiously distracting. It's true there isn't really anything the audience could garner that really suggested Cell or Buu were a bazillion times more powerful than Frieza just from watching the fights without resorting to someone going 'Wow, this guy's way stronger than Frieza! Even Super Saiyan can't handle him!'.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Oct 3, 2017

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum
I want Jiren to be voiced by Christopher Walken.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

khwarezm posted:

In fairness, one of the complaints that annoyed me was him constantly going 'its the same thing since Tao Pai Pai but with more numbers'. I'm not the biggest fan of Z, but I have to admit that by the time that they were fighting Frieza it was clearly on a hugely different scale in terms of ostentatious power displays than it was at any point in the original Dragonball series and you could tell by just watching the nutty fireworks on display without knowing about power levels.

It was in the succeeding arcs that what he's talking about really became obnoxiously distracting. It's true there isn't really anything the audience could garner that really suggested Cell or Buu were a bazillion times more powerful than Frieza just from watching the fights without resorting to someone going 'Wow, this guy's way stronger than Frieza! Even Super Saiyan can't handle him!'.

Well Frieza's 'show of power' or whatever you want to call it is destroying planets which a like 200 power level Roshi did back in the first Tournament which is the crux of his argument. But yea the aftermath of the battles is different up until vegeta/frieza then after that its planet shaking and cliff destroying even tho they're suppose to be at least 50 times stronger.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Kild posted:

Well Frieza's 'show of power' or whatever you want to call it is destroying planets which a like 200 power level Roshi did back in the first Tournament which is the crux of his argument. But yea the aftermath of the battles is different up until vegeta/frieza then after that its planet shaking and cliff destroying even tho they're suppose to be at least 50 times stronger.

The whole argument leans super heavily on Roshi destroying the moon, but honestly that's the most ludicrously over the top thing that happens in the original series and after it happens they don't really go in for that sort of theatrics again until Z starts up, it isn't really representative of how things generally go in Dragonball. For comparison just look at the Frieza's fight with Goku in general and how much they wreck their surroundings, even apart from blowing up the planet its a god drat post-apocalypse with these two going at it. Not to mention the pure length of the fight and the amount of ridiculous energy attacks that get thrown around (remember that Giant energy ball Frieza conjures up?). It's way, way beyond what you see in Dragonball overall, and also the previous saiyan saga.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Dragonball definitely scales up further. It's really noticeable when you watch pre-frieza movies vs post.

On the other hand, it does generally cap somewhere in there, but his point here is: Power levels are stupid, enjoy the show when it is creative instead of about power level.

He does take way too loving long to hit his points though, and you know maybe, there's room for both?

Also his points about Toriyama's flaws as a writer belong elsewhere. I mean he's right, but it makes the whole thing come off as way too cynical for its own good. The poster that earlier said he's too bitter sounding and becomes unbearable is right.

Condiv
May 7, 2008

Sorry to undo the effort of paying a domestic abuser $10 to own this poster, but I am going to lose my dang mind if I keep seeing multiple posters who appear to be Baloogan.

With love,
a mod

the pride troopers don't have much pride if they're quintuple teaming injured people...

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

The pride troopers are all insanely boring and I wish they weren't around

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
I don't know why they didn't swap some of the Universe 2 members and them around if they're all the ones who were getting individual screentime.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Idk why people keep equating “pride” with “stupid dumb idiot fighters”

Jeabus Mahogany
Feb 13, 2011

I'm mad because of a thorn in my impenetrable hide

Kashuno posted:

They've spent too long equating it with Vegeta

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Condiv posted:

the pride troopers don't have much pride if they're quintuple teaming injured people...

It would be a pretty lovely move for super heroes who dedicate their lives to protecting the people of their universe to risk their universe being deleted from existence because they got cold feet about being unfair to an extremely powerful opponent. Hell, those two poor injured people that the troopers oh-so-honorlessly ganged up on proceeded to kick the poo poo out of the five pride troopers combined, proving only that the Pride Troopers should have used even more force.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Condiv posted:

If the Pride Troopers efficiently dumpster everyone else in the tournament while Jiren tanks the Super Monkeys, Smirking Androgynes and Big Green, the Pride Troopers can wish to save everyone (if not necessarily their universes).

Gotta think on the big scale!

reignofevil
Nov 7, 2008

Kanos posted:

It would be a pretty lovely move for super heroes who dedicate their lives to protecting the people of their universe to risk their universe being deleted from existence because they got cold feet about being unfair to an extremely powerful opponent. Hell, those two poor injured people that the troopers oh-so-honorlessly ganged up on proceeded to kick the poo poo out of the five pride troopers combined, proving only that the Pride Troopers should have used even more force.

In fact the only rear end in a top hat on the show who always lets his opponents almost win is........

It's goku

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg
So do the tournament rules prohibit the earrings or fusion dancing? Seems if the entire universe is on the line they might want to bring Vegito in the fray at some point

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

g0lbez posted:

So do the tournament rules prohibit the earrings or fusion dancing? Seems if the entire universe is on the line they might want to bring Vegito in the fray at some point

Iirc Goku and vegeta don’t know the fusion dance and the earrings are banned yes.

Side note: usually I just catch DBS on Monday morning on my way to work, but I want the full big screen experience for the special. Is there a simulcast?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Goku definitely does since he's the one who taught it to Goten/Trunks. Vegeta doesn't and would probably be unwilling to do it though

g0lbez
Dec 25, 2004

and then you'll beg

Saagonsa posted:

Goku definitely does since he's the one who taught it to Goten/Trunks. Vegeta doesn't and would probably be unwilling to do it though

It's been established Vegeta hates fusing with Goku but he absolutely will do it if the stakes are high enough

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

g0lbez posted:

It's been established Vegeta hates fusing with Goku but he absolutely will do it if the stakes are high enough
I figure this is why Vegeta will get rung-out before the very end, to take this one off the table.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

gogeta would last half a second if vegito is anything to go by

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Manatee Cannon posted:

gogeta would last half a second if vegito is anything to go by

That's just enough time to put a KICK ME sign on Jiren's back.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Fuses for 13 seconds, 12 of that is spent talking, 1 second is kicking Jiren out of the ring.

Sets up the next arc where they need to train to increase their fusion time to fight the newly fused Topjiren on their grand tour of the universes.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Spiderdrake posted:

Fuses for 13 seconds, 12 of that is spent talking, 1 second is kicking Jiren out of the ring.

Sets up the next arc where they need to train to increase their fusion time to fight the newly fused Topjiren on their grand tour of the universes.

Toppo fuses with Quitela to make the ultimate being.

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Spiderdrake posted:

Dragonball definitely scales up further. It's really noticeable when you watch pre-frieza movies vs post.

On the other hand, it does generally cap somewhere in there, but his point here is: Power levels are stupid, enjoy the show when it is creative instead of about power level.

He does take way too loving long to hit his points though, and you know maybe, there's room for both?

Also his points about Toriyama's flaws as a writer belong elsewhere. I mean he's right, but it makes the whole thing come off as way too cynical for its own good. The poster that earlier said he's too bitter sounding and becomes unbearable is right.

It scales up higher in the manga pretty obviously; I think a lot of people just didn't read it and go by a bunch of Toei filler that messes things up in the anime.

Travel speed - Goku runs across Snake Way noticeably faster after training with King Kai. Freeza saga, he crosses Namek waaaaay faster than it took him to get to Gohan/Krillen/Vegeta; it was like a minute or something, and not on a dumb cloud. Then he could teleport. Meanwhile, in Buu saga, Gotenks circles the earth like 7 times in a few seconds.

Reaction speed - those were basically a lot of jumps where someone who was faster than someone else can't see someone else. But in Z, some of those jumps were super obvious and happened with Freeza, especially when Freeza is shooting finger beams, and nobody even notices or can move when they're coming except Vegeta after he gets a boost, then Goku casually smacks them away with his hands.

Strength - this is more iffy because they aren't Superman and never lift stuff, but you do have Goten casually tossing rocks through mountains when not Super, and Buutenks smacking a blast immediately through the planet with pure strength.

Blasts - Goku starts off knocking over cars, then blasts holes in walls, then fights a guy that can blow up cities, then in the Ma Jr fight, Roshi acknowledges Goku's kamehameha is better than his super amped one that blew up the moon. Then Piccolo can blow up the moon with his third best attack, then Nappa lifts up his fingers nd makes country sized explosions, then Vegeta aims at the planet and says he will blow it up with his best attack, then Goku equalizes that attack and does a little better. Then they go fight this guy that can casually blow up planets without even trying, and Goku is more powerful than him.

Then, here's the kicker, nobody aims their kamehamehas/big bang attacks/other stuff like that at the planet because it destroys it. They do it only to trick people or force them to take it themselves. So there's nothing left to really show to blow up (the movies do have stuff punching through the sun). And then you have Gohan, who is literally too scared to fight because he thinks even trying will blow up the world. Oh and Cell says he could blow up the solar system.

Buu, you have people getting so powerful that they are felt in other dimensions/across the universe, two characters yelling their way out of a pocket dimension, Kid Buu making the babiest planet destroying thing that Vegeta easily knocks away, etc.

BoG you have a whole thing where Goku is trying to figure out how to contain god power so it won't destroy the universe for the entire fight to the point where it's making funky shockwaves that don't hurt the immediate vicinity but still start destroying the universe.

Then they literally say "we got the hang of this, now we don't have to do this anymore because we have nothing else to show."

So I don't really know some people's problem there, when they progressed to "blowing up the universe just by fighting" nd then said "okay we'll negate that because we reched the end of visual escalation here." I think those people just hang on vs. forums and need feats for Goku to beat Galactus or something.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Condiv posted:

considering the injured people won that fight I don't think their thinking was without merit

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

Kashuno posted:

I mean, we already got Super Saiyan Lesbians so maybe it's actually a different kind of pride. :hellyeah:

Nessus posted:

I figure this is why Vegeta will get rung-out before the very end, to take this one off the table.

It's wishful thinking, but I wish Goku's the one who gets knocked out and Vegeta and Gohan have to be the ones to finish this. Vegeta's performance in the ToP has been pretty good, but Gohan's is just...odd for all the hyping of him finding a new path/being stronger.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Goku is a genuine God now, clearly he prestiged, so now he must start over again by barely knocking over Zen-chans' little mattel play car with a Limit Break Kaiokenx100 Final Kamehameha

Desumaytah
Apr 23, 2005

Intensity, .mpeg gritty, Intelligence
Jiren should be the new Goku because he's way stronger and I'm bored of the one we have now.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
I just wish Goku had a bit more to him than "fightin' stronger guys" even if that's Toriyama's intention. But Vegeta and Piccolo have character growth (even if it's a predictable "bad guy turned good" one).

Really, there needs to be a time skip to where Goku is training the younger crowd, and is more of an advisor. Give Trunks / Goten / Marron / Pan (pretend GT didn't happen) their moments.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

I think it's entirely possible Goku rings out, BUT if he does it means that A. the tourney proper is nearly over and B. there's some poo poo at the end. Keep in mind that if Jiren chucks Goku over the side, he doesn't die (unless he was the last U7 guy) - he's just now in the stands.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

goku could definitely ring out against jiren. it'd fit the general trend of goku getting owned in super

they could have a tie between a few universes. like jiren/toppo, gohan/freeza, and caulifla/kale stick it out until time runs out for example

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

Manatee Cannon posted:

goku could definitely ring out against jiren. it'd fit the general trend of goku getting owned in super

they could have a tie between a few universes. like jiren/toppo, gohan/freeza, and caulifla/kale stick it out until time runs out for example
What would be some baller cheese is if a fusion entered and de-fused purely to goose up that number. But that might get them erased like Frost.

Ham Cheeks
Nov 18, 2012

Feeling hammy
Caulifla will turn ssj3, do something awesome, and never use it again because it makes her eyebrows vanish

amigolupus
Aug 25, 2017

seiferguy posted:

I just wish Goku had a bit more to him than "fightin' stronger guys" even if that's Toriyama's intention. But Vegeta and Piccolo have character growth (even if it's a predictable "bad guy turned good" one).

Really, there needs to be a time skip to where Goku is training the younger crowd, and is more of an advisor. Give Trunks / Goten / Marron / Pan (pretend GT didn't happen) their moments.

If Vegeta and Piccolo can have character growth from bad guys to good guys, then surely Goku can do it too. :v: Personally, I don't want them to cop out by using a timeskip to give Goku a different characterization. As he is right now, I really cannot see him as the mentor type, much less train others since Goku would just get bored and want to fight someone strong instead.

My wish is for Goku to be served a huge slice of humble pie soon, and we can see in the next few arcs how he transitions from battle junkie to a zen master. The ToP's biggest disappointment for me is that it tried to do something new and interesting with Goku, but the writers backed down hard from it.

Manatee Cannon posted:

It'd be an amazing troll if there was a tie and Freeza jumped off the ring as a huge gently caress you towards Goku.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

amigolupus posted:

It'd be an amazing troll if there was a tie and Freeza jumped off the ring as a huge gently caress you towards Goku.
That sounds like a great way for Freeza to join Frost in "the people who got erased for loving up Zeno's good times."

The Bee
Nov 25, 2012

Making his way to the ring . . .
from Deep in the Jungle . . .

The Big Monkey!
I could see 2 or 3 being left from universes 6, 7, 2, and 11, leading to a slightly more traditional tournament.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
some stuff about the special and beyond, spoilered just in case

Son Goku's eyes are silver...!! What in the world's going on?!
Witness a shock the like of which has never before been seen in DB history!!!
The "Tournament of Power" is heating up!! In this super-anticipated 1-hour special, Goku and the rest of Universe 7 wage a super-fierce battle against Universe 11!! And keep your eyes peeled for something big that's going to happen to Goku!!
Son Goku and Jiren the Grey finally get down to business!! What's more, Goku puts a new technique into operation?! Definitely pay attention to the "eyes" in the main visual!!

Looks like something about Goku's eyes is beyond just the color change. Some new technique related to changing his eye color? Also looks like a full on brawl between U11 and U7 which should be interesting. also :lol:

Memo: Goku has all of his attacks deflected, and is knocked down. However, a ki never seen before erupts from his body.

Looks like the ability is going to be the technique Whis had mentioned: "Goku awakened to a new power called "Mastery of Self-Movement", where his body reacts on its own! What could this be?!" Note that this is post special after Jiren is now confirmed to whoop the ever living poo poo out of Goku.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I knew it
Goku has awakened the Sharingan

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

Lol why would anyone spoil DBS, the amazing punchy show. "I can't take the suspense! I must know who is punched before I see it!"

Cue reams of spoiler bars before people start just blatantly mentioning them