Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
Things like the ability to use modern resolutions are considered a base feature on PC though. Whether something is or isn't a port isn't particularly relevant, Dark Souls could've been a PC exclusive and lacking such basic features would've still been considered bad.

The devs literally came out and said they had no clue what they were doing, there's zero need to defend that particular porting job. They improved tremendously with the later installments anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire
Dark Souls is also unplayable on my laptop because the game crashes on anything but a 60 hz refresh rate even with mods, and my laptops locked at 75 hz. Thats a nasty oversight too.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Guy Mann posted:

Having a game run at your resolution/aspect ratio/framerate of choice and not run like garbage compared to other similar titles from the same console is like the bare minimum you can expect from a PC port and they hosed that up. People react poorly because it's a sign of incompetence and/or laziness when a professional publisher can't provide basic functionality that a single modder with no access to the source code can mod in the day after the game comes out; even if you can't do it yourself, give Durante a call and pay him to get it working for you or something.

The difference here is the single modder will work for free.

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Jerry Cotton posted:

The difference here is the single modder will work for free.

Is there any other kind of modder? :smith:

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Don't be silly, modders can be in a relationship like anyone else. They just have to find someone that enjoys living in a cave.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.

Nuebot posted:

What is it with PC ports that turn people's graphical standards completely insane?

My preferred way to play a game is borderless windowed at 1920x1080, on my primary monitor. Nier: Automata frequently refuses to accomplish any of these. The game likes to freak out when I use common borderless window programs (because it doesn't support it natively), so I play it fullscreen. That's not a huge deal, just more of a personal preference. When I have to gently caress with the game for a good 5 minutes to make it display at my primary monitor's native resolution (usually it launches either on my secondary monitor first, and then refuses to move to my primary, or it launches on my primary in 1600x900 or 1680x1080, and changing the resolution doesn't work), then that's not acceptable. The port is kind of a shitshow.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer
Sometimes I think maybe I should get a PC then I read conversations like this and nope I'm good with my dumb console.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.
A favorite thing in Heat Signature is standing next to a window on a space ship, shooting my loudest gun at a wall to attract the attention of as many guards as possible, then hiding somewhere until they've all gathered into a conveniently large ball that can be jettisoned with a single bullet.\

e: Here's a video from the developer(?) showing off a whole bunch of awesome little things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKpSHa3RT-A

LawfulWaffle has a new favorite as of 18:17 on Oct 3, 2017

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Tyranny is a really good rpg. It gives you scaling degrees of being a horrible monster, but because of this you're constantly pushing yourself in order to be the best monster for the glory of Kyros (I have his poster above my bed). My own moral horizon showed itself when I was trying to get info from a prisoner and after gaining seemingly useless intel you're left with a choice. Either let the prisoner die or force the prisoner to kill her fellow prisoners for her freedom. So I gave her a rock.

It didn't even faze me until after it was done. I suppose it's a testament to the writing that I was able to immerse myself into such a repugnant character without realizing it.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

RagnarokAngel posted:

Dark Souls is also unplayable on my laptop because the game crashes on anything but a 60 hz refresh rate even with mods, and my laptops locked at 75 hz. Thats a nasty oversight too.

I didn't look into why that was being weird but that makes sense. Now I can replay a classic because I can adjust hz. Thanks man.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Goofballs posted:

I didn't look into why that was being weird but that makes sense. Now I can replay a classic because I can adjust hz. Thanks man.

Glad some good came of it!

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I never grabbed any Mario and Luigi game past Bowsers Inside Story but I gotta hand it to them, the counters and special moves for the later games look really neat.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RareAcumen posted:

I never grabbed any Mario and Luigi game past Bowsers Inside Story but I gotta hand it to them, the counters and special moves for the later games look really neat.

You made the right choice stopping at BIS. The moves look cool but they go on forever. Dream Team was one of the worst games I played that year.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
The Bros Attacks and counters in Dream Team are so elaborate, and there are so many of them, that I started to feel genuinely overwhelmed after a while. Especially with bosses, who have tons of attacks that require multiple dodges with different timings -- and you're only going to see any of these once. The game was really too much and it went on too long. BIS on the other hand is pretty much a perfect game except for the crummy giant fights.

scarycave
Oct 9, 2012

Dominic Beegan:
Exterminator For Hire

RyokoTK posted:

BIS on the other hand is pretty much a perfect game except for the crummy giant fights.

I seriously dropped all interest in Dream Team when I saw Giant Luigi and got flash backs to that loving train.
And then the paper mario cross over got skipped because it wasn't with the paper mario I was hoping for.

A cool thing about Bowsers inside story is that Bowser is alot stronger than the brothers, so the enemies he fought on his own at the start of the game are actually pretty strong when you finally get to have the brothers go back to those spots.
Also one of Bowsers attacks involves washing a dog - and then that dog rams into the enemy, trailed by a parade of cats. :3:

rodbeard
Jul 21, 2005

Bowser's Inside Story was the last mario RPG I've played. I love the style of the games, but they all tend to be too easy and tutorial heavy.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

The moves look cool but they go on forever. Dream Team was one of the worst games I played that year.

Oh trust me I know. I gave a Dream Team demo a shot, either on my 3DS or a Best Buy or something and came away from the experience thinking 'Wow, kids are way better at games than I am now, that was really complicated.) The Dream Luigi attacks were easy to pull off but the Bros attacks weren't.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Paper Jam was really good

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
everytime i think about paper mario or the mario and luigi games i get a bit sad that we've never had a proper Square-made Mario rpg sequel.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
I got a SNES Mini more or less through a windfall and while I'm super happy in general to play some good old poo poo again, I am half looking forward to and half dreading Super Mario RPG. I've tried it out emulated two or even three times and could never get past the first few sections, first a purple crocodile was kicking my loving rear end over and over, then I surmounted it on my next try and promptly failed like crazy against the next boss. I think I'm doing something super wrong...or should maybe actually read the loving manual like it's 1996??? I had a great time with Partners in Time which everyone hates, so...

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Simply Simon posted:

I got a SNES Mini more or less through a windfall and while I'm super happy in general to play some good old poo poo again, I am half looking forward to and half dreading Super Mario RPG. I've tried it out emulated two or even three times and could never get past the first few sections, first a purple crocodile was kicking my loving rear end over and over, then I surmounted it on my next try and promptly failed like crazy against the next boss. I think I'm doing something super wrong...or should maybe actually read the loving manual like it's 1996??? I had a great time with Partners in Time which everyone hates, so...

I mean you're using healing items right? That's the only thing I could think of that would stop you from beating Croco.

Edit: I don't mean that in a dismissive way, just that a lot of people sort of forget about healing stuff in RPGs sometimes.

ImpAtom has a new favorite as of 15:28 on Oct 5, 2017

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

ImpAtom posted:

I mean you're using healing items right? That's the only thing I could think of that would stop you from beating Croco.

Towards the end of the game my inventory is like 60% Pick Me Ups because they're a full heal from KO. And I would have Peach in the Lazy Shell (I don't give a gently caress) so there was never a chance that I would have a fully wipe.

Also, trying to get that Geno Whirl timed hit for a colossal 9999 damage.

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

LawfulWaffle posted:

Towards the end of the game my inventory is like 60% Pick Me Ups because they're a full heal from KO. And I would have Peach in the Lazy Shell (I don't give a gently caress) so there was never a chance that I would have a fully wipe.

Also, trying to get that Geno Whirl timed hit for a colossal 9999 damage.

Pick me ups are also ridiculously cheap for what they do, because balance. I can't remember what made them worse than, say, higher level mushrooms, but I imagine the devs had reason for the price. Probably.

Zinkraptor has a new favorite as of 17:07 on Oct 5, 2017

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
It's possible, even easy, to not use Peach until you get the Lazy Shell. Hell, I've beaten the game without using her even once (don't do this. The final boss is all but impossible).

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔

ImpAtom posted:

Edit: I don't mean that in a dismissive way, just that a lot of people sort of forget about healing stuff in RPGs sometimes.
It's been a while since my last attempt, so I honestly can't remember in what way I had trouble. I think the fight was taking far, far longer than I thought (I might really suck at timed inputs) and healing all the time would make it take even longer and I was getting really frustrated. I'll soon try it again (the console itself is currently waiting at my mother's), so if I still somehow suck at Classic Game Everyone Loves, I'll be sure to report back and whine so everyone can make fun of me!

Nostradingus
Jul 13, 2009

I'm playing through Mario RPG as well and trying to do a Mallow and Geno run, since I always ended up using Bowser and Peach in previous playthroughs. It's still one of my favorite games but I lost to Croco because I forgot to buy and equip armor. I also forgot that the mole village is a little uncomfortably racist

Danger - Octopus!
Apr 20, 2008

Nap Ghost

LawfulWaffle posted:

A favorite thing in Heat Signature is standing next to a window on a space ship, shooting my loudest gun at a wall to attract the attention of as many guards as possible, then hiding somewhere until they've all gathered into a conveniently large ball that can be jettisoned with a single bullet.\

e: Here's a video from the developer(?) showing off a whole bunch of awesome little things
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKpSHa3RT-A

In a recent mission, I shot a window to suck an assassination target into space. This also sucked me into space too so I shot him while he was suffocating just to make the point then called my pod to come pick me up.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Playing Golf Story right now, and it's a good game overall. One thing I really like is the amount of personality that the speech bubbles coming out of people give. The speech bubbles are animated, getting big when they yell, tiny when they are muttering to themselves, they droop and bounce, and manage to convey so much emotion that would normally be hard to perceive in a 16-bit(ish) game.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Nostradingus posted:

I'm playing through Mario RPG as well and trying to do a Mallow and Geno run, since I always ended up using Bowser and Peach in previous playthroughs. It's still one of my favorite games but I lost to Croco because I forgot to buy and equip armor. I also forgot that the mole village is a little uncomfortably racist

Okay what the gently caress did I miss in mole village.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
Mario RPG is an absolute joy to look at, and there's so many tiny things that really make you feel like part of the world, just dumb poo poo like getting yelled at for jumping on a piano/on a cake/on someone's bookshelf :allears: Also every time it makes fun of an RPG cliche, like when the Chancellor interrupts everyone going back into Mario, and they all bump heads, I could gush about that game forever :allears::allears:

My only problem is for some reason, every time I start to play Mario RPG, something catastrophic happens that makes me lose everything. At first the game cartridge battery broke and wouldn't save anymore so I'd just leave the system on, then my snes broke, then I moved on to emulators and my PC got a virus and had to be wiped, then the entire PC poo poo out and we had to get a new one, even my memory stick on my PSP suddenly became unreadable. It always happens just before or just after Exor. I must have played through the game like ten times up to that point but I've never once actually got to Smithy before something happened to my save :saddowns: I'm kinda nervous to play through it anymore,

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Blind Sally posted:

everytime i think about paper mario or the mario and luigi games i get a bit sad that we've never had a proper Square-made Mario rpg sequel.

Everytime I think about Square crossovers, I squint a little bit as my thoughts inexorably drift towards Kingdom Hearts and how incomprehensible that story got and how little Final Fantasy it contains.

Danaru posted:

Mario RPG is an absolute joy to look at, and there's so many tiny things that really make you feel like part of the world, just dumb poo poo like getting yelled at for jumping on a piano/on a cake/on someone's bookshelf :allears: Also every time it makes fun of an RPG cliche, like when the Chancellor interrupts everyone going back into Mario, and they all bump heads, I could gush about that game forever :allears::allears:

My only problem is for some reason, every time I start to play Mario RPG, something catastrophic happens that makes me lose everything. At first the game cartridge battery broke and wouldn't save anymore so I'd just leave the system on, then my snes broke, then I moved on to emulators and my PC got a virus and had to be wiped, then the entire PC poo poo out and we had to get a new one, even my memory stick on my PSP suddenly became unreadable. It always happens just before or just after Exor. I must have played through the game like ten times up to that point but I've never once actually got to Smithy before something happened to my save :saddowns: I'm kinda nervous to play through it anymore,

Go play it in North Korea, so that when you obliterate the entire concept of power, it'll at least do some good. :v:

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Skyrim: Casting Fury on rabbits and chickens. They have no attack animations, so all they can do is follow you with a :catstare: of impotent hatred.

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Glagha posted:

Okay what the gently caress did I miss in mole village.

Don't worry about it. People have an unhealthy obsession of going through everything with a microscope to find every grain of "omgracism".

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.
Just started playing Trails in the Sky this morning, a game I had literally never heard of until I found it through the Steam Discovery queue.

And it's actually like, pretty fun? I'm surprised I've never heard of this game but apparently there's a bunch of them. I like that the encounters don't gently caress around, even in the beginning, but you can also save anywhere and instantly retry a fight if you wipe (which I already have twice!), so the stakes aren't super high. Also the music is super good and I'm a huge fan of the fact that the main character Estelle is just a stupid idiot and everyone in town already knows it.

Also there's a turbo button, which is probably the best part of all. :)

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

RyokoTK posted:

Just started playing Trails in the Sky this morning, a game I had literally never heard of until I found it through the Steam Discovery queue.

And it's actually like, pretty fun? I'm surprised I've never heard of this game but apparently there's a bunch of them. I like that the encounters don't gently caress around, even in the beginning, but you can also save anywhere and instantly retry a fight if you wipe (which I already have twice!), so the stakes aren't super high. Also the music is super good and I'm a huge fan of the fact that the main character Estelle is just a stupid idiot and everyone in town already knows it.

It's quite good, but I hope you didn't start it on Hard difficulty. The difficulty will become an impassable wall really fast.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

RyokoTK posted:

It's a constant topic in the RPG thread in games but aside from that and the few LPs of it that've been done, I haven't heard of it in conversation anywhere else either.

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Oxxidation posted:

It's quite good, but I hope you didn't start it on Hard difficulty. The difficulty will become an impassable wall really fast.

No that was one thing that came up a whole bunch in the Steam reviews, so I'm playing on normal.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Morpheus posted:

Playing Golf Story right now, and it's a good game overall. One thing I really like is the amount of personality that the speech bubbles coming out of people give. The speech bubbles are animated, getting big when they yell, tiny when they are muttering to themselves, they droop and bounce, and manage to convey so much emotion that would normally be hard to perceive in a 16-bit(ish) game.

Also great is how you can just drop a golf ball down where and hit it, which lets you interact with the environment.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FredMSloniker
Jan 2, 2008

Why, yes, I do like Kirby games.

SuddenCactus posted:

I've been playing Golf Story for the Switch and recently went to a course that is high up in the mountains It took me a while to realise that if you hit your ball off the side of the mountain the rumble in the controller makes a little falling noise, like Wile E Coyote falling off a cliff.

I was playing Game Dev Story the other day and was surprised to discover that a Golf RPG is one of the second best type/genre combinations. Prophetic!