Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

I couldn't make out what was in the teaser for next episode, but come on just give me Fellini already.

It was a collection of 00 Gundams with the title "Our War". It's probably going to involve the Cherudim Build Fighters kit.

And yeah. That was less terrible than anticipated.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Any Gundam Versus owners want to get in on a goon room tonight/this weekend?

I've got two teams right now, but a bigger room would be even better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I don't really find the designs from 00 very appealing. The exia and the tieren are alright but the others (especially the non Gundam suits) look so basic and barebones that they have no character whatsoever. I may say that okawara was being lazy as gently caress with his grunt suits in SEED being straight lifts from UC, but at least he was copying designs with some actual visual flair.

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

I will always love that the Flag visual design is basically the exact kind of design by committee test bed boondoggle you'd expect the Pentagon to produce if someone in the world built a giant robot.

bacon flaps
Mar 1, 2005

every day im hustlin

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Any Gundam Versus owners want to get in on a goon room tonight/this weekend?

I've got two teams right now, but a bigger room would be even better.

I have PM'd you (twice in fact because I am an idiot)

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't really find the designs from 00 very appealing. The exia and the tieren are alright but the others (especially the non Gundam suits) look so basic and barebones that they have no character whatsoever. I may say that okawara was being lazy as gently caress with his grunt suits in SEED being straight lifts from UC, but at least he was copying designs with some actual visual flair.

Virtue is one of the best suits of all time

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I love the Flag but it's one of the few 00 designs I really like. The Exia is excellent but I'm pretty sure the 00 Gundam/00 Raiser is my least favorite protagonist Gundam suit design besides maybe the FX.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

bacon flaps posted:

I have PM'd you (twice in fact because I am an idiot)

Oh, yeah, I suppose a PSN name would be good if people want in, because the lobby system is kinda weird

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

ImpAtom posted:

I love the Flag but it's one of the few 00 designs I really like. The Exia is excellent but I'm pretty sure the 00 Gundam/00 Raiser is my least favorite protagonist Gundam suit design besides maybe the FX.

Conversely, I think the Exia is okay but I really love the base 00. The Raiser ruins the design, but the regular version is great. Especially the swivelling shoulder mounted GN drives, which a lot of people seem to find the worst part of the whole thing. I think they give the unit a fairly unique silhouette and make sense since they give it so much maneuverability. It's just a shame the show only did the GN drives facing forward forming a shield thing once (maybe twice, can't recall) and quickly forgot it leaving a massive OO symbol as thruster wash too. I thought those were neat and would love to have seen more of them, especially the second bit.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Oh, yeah, I suppose a PSN name would be good if people want in, because the lobby system is kinda weird

PSN: Craigabdul

I'm still pretty bad but I am kind of getting the hang of it. I can win occasionally now

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

tsob posted:

Conversely, I think the Exia is okay but I really love the base 00. The Raiser ruins the design, but the regular version is great. Especially the swivelling shoulder mounted GN drives, which a lot of people seem to find the worst part of the whole thing. I think they give the unit a fairly unique silhouette and make sense since they give it so much maneuverability. It's just a shame the show only did the GN drives facing forward forming a shield thing once (maybe twice, can't recall) and quickly forgot it leaving a massive OO symbol as thruster wash too. I thought those were neat and would love to have seen more of them, especially the second bit.
The 00 releasing burst of particles directly from the engines to basically strafe into different directions was a really cool detail they didn't show enough.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

TheKingofSprings posted:

Virtue is one of the best suits of all time

The Hygogg is the best suit of all time

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

for the gundam vs thing my psn's is gundam3235

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Arcsquad12 posted:

The grunt suits are meant to be like "20 minutes in the future" designs, rather than perfected Mobile Suits down to a science like in UC. The American and EU fliers are spindly as hell to shave off as much weight as possible so the drat things actually fly, while the russian/chinese faction have a walking tank that in all likeliness could sit in mud or swamp for 20 years and still start first-try.

The Gundams contrast this with their super-sci-fi design because what the hell IS that thing killing our best air squadron like it's child's play? :stare:

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 7, 2017

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I like 00 Raiser but don't care much for 00 basic. The swiveling drives is a cool idea but the way they hang off doesn't look well integrated.

Also the GN-X is funny because apparently nobody in any nation thought hey maybe we should make them look less evil. It's surprisingly fun to play in Versus for a basic rear end grunt suit, too.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Is there a gundam show where a pilot keeps dodging despite having a barrier (because he's used to it), and he's told to stop dodging? Or am I thinking of a different show entirely?

Dulkor
Feb 28, 2009

My schedule is wonky as hell again, but my PSN is the same as my user name here.

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Tae posted:

Is there a gundam show where a pilot keeps dodging despite having a barrier (because he's used to it), and he's told to stop dodging? Or am I thinking of a different show entirely?

If I remember right they stick Char in a mobile armor that has a anti-beam shield and he gets mad at himself whenever he gets hit, even though it doesn't matter.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ElBrak posted:

If I remember right they stick Char in a mobile armor that has a anti-beam shield and he gets mad at himself whenever he gets hit, even though it doesn't matter.

That's probably from CDA then, it's the only time Char's been in an MA other than the Nightingale AFAIK.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The Nightingale is still technically a mobile suit, but it's right at the upper edge of that category.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
I wonder if they'll do anything for the tenth anniversary of 00, like an OVA.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Droyer posted:

That's probably from CDA then, it's the only time Char's been in an MA other than the Nightingale AFAIK.

It was. Char in the Zero GR was pretty funny - he kicked tonnes of rear end in it, but hated every second and kept waiting for them to put him back in his custom Gelgoog.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

Guy Goodbody posted:

I doubt it. If they were going to they'd probably have announced it by now at least, since the anniversary is this year isn't it? The setting must not have been successful enough to be worth anything new like several UC entries and the art and animation isn't worth updating like the CE stuff.

Darth Walrus posted:

It was. Char in the Zero GR was pretty funny - he kicked tonnes of rear end in it, but hated every second and kept waiting for them to put him back in his custom Gelgoog.

Char piloted Giant Robo?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

tsob posted:

I doubt it. If they were going to they'd probably have announced it by now at least, since the anniversary is this year isn't it? The setting must not have been successful enough to be worth anything new like several UC entries and the art and animation isn't worth updating like the CE stuff.

It is technically this year, but they're holding an event with all the voice actors next year.

The fact that they're holding an event with the voice actors gives me hope, the fact that they got the year wrong somewhat dampens that hope

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Guy Goodbody posted:

Well they are releasing a Perfect Grade Exia, but that's the gunpla side of things; not anime.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Anyone picked up any particularly good tips and tricks for particular suits in Gundam Versus? One thing I have found is that for machines with bits and funnels like the Sazabi, it's a good idea to deploy them while the enemy is downed and recovering, because the launch animation leaves you vulnerable and there's a significant delay before they do damage. This way, you're constantly harassing them and making it far easier for them to make a mistake.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Zedd posted:

Well they are releasing a Perfect Grade Exia, but that's the gunpla side of things; not anime.

And Petitgguys. 5 of them.

And I'm gonna buy every last one of them. :3:

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Darth Walrus posted:

Anyone picked up any particularly good tips and tricks for particular suits in Gundam Versus? One thing I have found is that for machines with bits and funnels like the Sazabi, it's a good idea to deploy them while the enemy is downed and recovering, because the launch animation leaves you vulnerable and there's a significant delay before they do damage. This way, you're constantly harassing them and making it far easier for them to make a mistake.

ZZ when transformed can fire its br and sub at literally the same time and transform back with no recovery, you just fart a cloud of missiles in someones face and they have to deal with it along with whatever you start doing next.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
The Psycho Zaku is kind of ridiculous. You can fire a million things at your opponent at all times

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Dangerous Person posted:

The Psycho Zaku is kind of ridiculous. You can fire a million things at your opponent at all times

The tradeoff, though, is that you've got a mediocre lock range and a mediocre boost gauge, and your auto-firing bazookas on your main ranged attack can run out of ammo that can only be restored with your super-mode, meaning that you have to make careful use of your secondary toolkit to get the most out of your suit.

It's powerful but flawed, and can be picked apart pretty easily by a skilled or knowledgeable pilot - apart from anything else, it'll have to land more often than most suits, which is your opportunity to unleash hell on it.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

What are everyone's favorite basic rear end grunt suits in Versus?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

chumbler posted:

What are everyone's favorite basic rear end grunt suits in Versus?

The Kapool, because you get to listen to Sochie constantly trash-talking your opponent. It's surprisingly dangerous, too.

If we're including ace custom suits, Graham's Flag feels genuinely fun and powerful, and the Tieren Taozi is hilarious - you're basically serving as a big, pink distraction while you surreptitiously signal your dad to go for the kidneys.

Darth Walrus fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 8, 2017

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
Come to think of it, mass-produced suits don't make up very much of the Versus roster. Let's see now, there's the:

* Guncannon (if you count the movies and supplementary material)
* Gouf
* Dom
* Rick Dias
* Nemo
* Marasai
* Hizack
* Jesta
* ReZEL
* Gun-EZ
* Kapool
* Silver SUMO
* GN-X
* Gundam Ground Type
* GM Custom
* GM Cannon II

That's sixteen suits out of over a hundred.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012
https://twitter.com/sakkan69/status/916156088004657152

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet

Darth Walrus posted:

The tradeoff, though, is that you've got a mediocre lock range and a mediocre boost gauge, and your auto-firing bazookas on your main ranged attack can run out of ammo that can only be restored with your super-mode, meaning that you have to make careful use of your secondary toolkit to get the most out of your suit.

It's powerful but flawed, and can be picked apart pretty easily by a skilled or knowledgeable pilot - apart from anything else, it'll have to land more often than most suits, which is your opportunity to unleash hell on it.

Yup, it's definitely balanced enough that you can get around one if you go up against it. I still haven't tested out a wide variety of suits and it was by far the most shooty one yet

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I got Gundam Versus and it's really fun. G Gundam, Gundam X and War in the Pocket are noticeably absent, though. It's weird that none of these got in when you have multiple suits from Crossbone and from that mediocre Side Stories game for PS3 that people thought would be a HD collection of the Side Story games but totally wasn't.

Which is a shame, you know. Rise from the Ashes on Dreamcast was what got me hooked on UC Gundam, and Blue Destiny, Zeonic Front and Journey to Jaburo were all cool as hell too.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

I used to adore Gundam vs Zeta and Versus is supposed to be an evolution of those games?

Artum
Feb 13, 2012

DUN da dun dun da DUUUN
Soiled Meat

Azubah posted:

I used to adore Gundam vs Zeta and Versus is supposed to be an evolution of those games?

Yes though they havent been doing the big single player campaigns for over a decade now.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
It's also kind of a shame that Gundam Versus has no local play period. The games are balanced around 2v2 so you really need 4 people for a match. In EXVS this meant you needed 2 PS3s for a single setup. In the latest one, you need four PS4s...

The other thing that's just kind of baffling is that they block the PS4's share features and only let you upload every 1 out of 100 replays. Why the hell would you do this? I don't think you can even buy upload tickets with money.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Gammatron 64 posted:

I got Gundam Versus and it's really fun. G Gundam, Gundam X and War in the Pocket are noticeably absent, though. It's weird that none of these got in when you have multiple suits from Crossbone and from that mediocre Side Stories game for PS3 that people thought would be a HD collection of the Side Story games but totally wasn't.

Which is a shame, you know. Rise from the Ashes on Dreamcast was what got me hooked on UC Gundam, and Blue Destiny, Zeonic Front and Journey to Jaburo were all cool as hell too.

I didn't play Journey to Jaburo, but I can confirm that Zeonic Front was pretty rad. I think the reason why Encounters in Space worked alright in terms of being a space game is because they tried to crib the controls from Zone of the Enders (which is still pretty much the pinnacle of single-player mech controls to this day).

Seriously, I just picked up the HD collection for ZOE and it's been over ten years since I last played. The controls are so good it felt like I never stopped playing it.

I'm actually fairly interested to see what they do with IBO suits. They have a fair amount of room to maneuver when it comes to putting in DLC IBO suits (Kimaris Vidar, Baal, etc.), although I hear Gusion Rebake is pretty half-baked.