Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Phanatic posted:

The resemblance is uncanny!

The ones on the film are based on their modern look

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

And More posted:

So, it's actually horrifying nudity? I also think there is a bit of a contradiction in your definition of nude. A nude painting is exhibiting someone else for the gratification of the spectator. Exhibiting the own body, however, is a sign of power. Being able to look the way you want is empowering, while being merely naked seems to imply vulnerability.

I guess I have to source my weird quotes, too. Foucault says:
"Mastery and awareness of one's own body can be acquired only through the effect of an investment of power in the body: gymnastics, exercises, muscle-building, nudism, glorification of the body beautiful."

Also, I can kind of see Cyborg being "castrated" to be socially acceptable, but I doubt the film is gonna discuss the absence of his dingus.

Cyborg does not look the way he wants. He doesn't have a choice. Remember, I have not stated that nudity or nudism is inherently bad, so whether or not the individual can find empowerment in being nude is irrelevant. But when Foucault describes nudism as being a means of many to acquire "mastery and awareness of one's own body," he is nonetheless confirming Berger's observation that nudity is a form of dress. The only difference is that Foucault describes this process in terms of the individual mastering and glorifying themselves. Berger, when discussing the nude painting, is not contradicting this characterization of nudism, but merely contributing to its implicit understanding of nudity as being about exhibition and idealism - that even to the extent that one might enjoy being nude or glorifying their body, we are not merely looking upon ourselves as we are. We are imagining ourselves as the outside observer looking upon ourselves, and conforming ourselves appropriately to these ideological values and conventions.

As to whether or not the characters in the movie will talk about Cyborg's castration, they don't have to. The character is castrated. His visual appearance is psychologically significant already, and does not require explicit commentary.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
In the comics at least, Cyborgs arm can turn into a gun or a USB port or whatever, depending on the circumstances. There's no reason to assume that shapeshfting is limited to his arm. Maybe he can grow a robot dick like Tetsuo the Iron Man

Just Offscreen
Jun 29, 2006

We must hope that our current selves will one day step aside to make room for better versions of us.

This does a good job convincing me to continue to not watch any of these.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
I like how overwrought and biblical all that stuff is.

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

So is all of the Justice League promo material trying to replicate the "where's Luke" from the TFA rollout? I haven't seen BvS but as I understand it they will have to do a big reveal of Superman's return in JL

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos
I mean Superman's logo is on the loving posters so if they want people to think he's not in the movie they're doing a real bad job.

Angepain
Jul 13, 2012

what keeps happening to my clothes

The Saddest Rhino posted:

what does the "all in" tagline of the justice league posters mean

it means that some guy in an office saw people going wild for "Avengers Assemble" as a slogan and said well then we need one of those

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This entire movie is the result of a decade long process that started when someone saw Avengers 1 and said "We need one of those"

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Apokalips is the blasted future earth marked with the Omega symbol from the Knightmare, as well as the carpet of skulls that Superman sees in MOS.

More than that, Apokalips is the setting of Snyder's other sci-fi film, 300.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.
I'm still optimistic about JL as a movie, but the marketing has been incredibly scattershot. They're definitely throwing whatever they can against the wall to see what sticks. Some posters have Superman front and centre, some hide him, there are like three or four different taglines and styles.

I think the best stuff they've put out is the Alex Ross-ish group poster and All In character posters.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

The Saddest Rhino posted:

what does the "all in" tagline of the justice league posters mean

Texas Hold'em.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Schwarzwald posted:

More than that, Apokalips is the setting of Snyder's other sci-fi film, 300.

Yeah it's the featureless battlefield of Armageddon or whatever.

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

Yeah it's the featureless battlefield of Armageddon or whatever.

err like from warhammer 40k?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Kharn_The_Betrayer posted:

From the drat book of revelations!!!

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

Guy Goodbody posted:

In the comics at least, Cyborgs arm can turn into a gun or a USB port or whatever, depending on the circumstances. There's no reason to assume that shapeshfting is limited to his arm. Maybe he can grow a robot dick like Tetsuo the Iron Man

Hopefully not exactly like Tetsuo the Iron Man or else he'll have a mess on his hands.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Lizard Combatant
Sep 29, 2010

I have some notes.
That 'stache is pretty drat suspect

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

This looks so loving bad.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

I wish they could put that imagine dragons song on the poster

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Guy Goodbody posted:

Combine these two and I would see that movie day 1, probably multiple times, just to see what kind of clusterfuck it ends up as. It would definitely not be like any other superhero movie.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.

Combining the post, username and av, I have to suppose yousee the world entirely through the lens of 40k.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?

I dunno how close they are sticking to OG Murder on the Orient but that tagline, WOOF!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Shoehead posted:

I dunno how close they are sticking to OG Murder on the Orient but that tagline, WOOF!

I was gonna say.

And More
Jun 19, 2013

How far, Doctor?
How long have you lived?

Waffleman_ posted:

I was gonna say.

Eh, it's fine. They could have gone with: "Everyone could be the culprit."

Kharn_The_Betrayer
Nov 15, 2013

Fun Shoe

From the drat book of revelations!!!

oh... right

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

Polar Express sequel not lookin' too great

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

This whole thing is such a bad idea

Gynocentric Regime
Jun 9, 2010

by Cyrano4747

morestuff posted:

Only way it could be creepier is if it was being produced by the Weinstein Company.

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
Give it a chance guys, Louis CK could be like...I dunno the new Woody Allen or something!

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

I wonder which cast members had to watch Louis masturbate.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

It's a pretty powerful move to slowly walk down the train tracks while blowing smoke out of both of your nostrils at the same time - mocking the dumb steam train coming from behind you. "Look at me, I'm a stupid train on tracks! Choo loving choo!" In the end though the train always wins.

ThisIsWhyTrumpWon
Jun 22, 2017

by Smythe

morestuff posted:

Which part was a bad idea?

The one where he made this movie?

Or the one where he had his daughter in it argue that statutory rape laws are anti-feminist?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Palpek posted:

It's a pretty powerful move to slowly walk down the train tracks while blowing smoke out of both of your nostrils at the same time - mocking the dumb steam train coming from behind you. "Look at me, I'm a stupid train on tracks! Choo loving choo!" In the end though the train always wins.

Murderon, the Orient Express.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Hence Dr. Miles Dyson. The alien world in this case is literally just a future Earth and a bad ending for humanity, as seen in MOS and BVS.

Making Cyborg a kind of obverse Superman, and also the bridge between Supes and Doomsday

Unoriginal Name
Aug 1, 2006

by sebmojo
Ignoring the true secret depth of Justice League (lol), the advertising campaign has been loving terrible.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Y’know, now that you mention it, that movie comes out in 38 days I haven’t seen a single fuckin’ ad for it on any TV channels.

not trolled not crying
Jan 29, 2007

21st Century Awezome Man

Unoriginal Name posted:

Ignoring the true secret depth of Justice League (lol), the advertising campaign has been loving terrible.

I like how they are trying to put so much color into all of the posters and I see people talking about how the movie looks so colorful and more fun now! But...haven't they seen any of the trailers? It looks the same monochromatic and drab as always. WB pulled the same poo poo with Suicide Squad (and I guess with WW, too) where all the marketing stuff is really vibrant and bright colors, yet the movies themselves are mostly that drab sewage water-colored nightmare. I don't actually mind the visual style in and of itself, but I'm confused how people can't seem to differentiate the promotional poo poo from the actual movies and then probably will get angry when they see the films and they are once again the green screened yet grey concrete hell as always.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Wonder Woman had plenty of colour for me for a movie splitting its time between London and the front lines of World War 1. Amd Themyscira was a gorgeous paradise.