Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arcsquad12 posted:

You say this even after the Tristan released?

The Tristan's not a hero suit.

I mean, it's impressive that it's worse than its base kit, which is more than a decade old, but it's supposedly an antagonist suit. The stuff the protagonists used is P-Bandai.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Neurolimal posted:

It also has one of the best MG's IMO, so its not exactly dying for a new kit.

I'd kill for an MG Bandit, and I'd commit a robbery for an HGCC WaDom.

I would not steal the WaDom, though.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Is there any were I can get another copy of the foil sticker sheet for the QanT? Screwed up one of the head stickers.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Mimir posted:

I'd kill for an MG Bandit, and I'd commit a robbery for an HGCC WaDom.

I would not steal the WaDom, though.

Oh god. Even a 1/144th WaDom would be pretty drat huge given they're 40 meters tall.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So apparently Dragon Momoko isn't going out of business. Seems like they got raided because of Daiban of all company's ratted them on the police about copyright infringement. Apparently DM will be back up and running after the 15th.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Gunpla/comments/73khkk/an_undead_dragon/

asterioth fucked around with this message at 18:31 on Oct 3, 2017

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
What kits does Daban make? Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on much if I avoid buying their stuff in the future.

E: missed this response:

Guy Goodbody posted:

That would be a really bad idea. Bandai is company that makes plastic models. Other companies that make plastic models are Bandai's competitors. Bandai doesn't want competing companies producing Gundam model kits. If the other company makes a subpar product, then that damages the entire brand. If the other company produces a superior product, then that just drives consumers to the other company's products. And either way, the competing company is making money from Gundam models, which they can use to expand and compete more with Bandai.

Doesn't this depend on both 1) the other companies' product being subpar (in which case they just could not work out a deal on licensing that suit's IP) and 2) work off the assumption that a sale earned by the third party is a loss by Bandai? In a licensing arrangement Bandai would profit off of the 3rd party release, and there's few 3rd party companies making gundam kits alongside original properties, so driving a consumer to that companies' products would mean driving them to other licensed gundam models.

I mean I understand the first point if we're talking stuff like the Deathscythe kits, but ones that are very obviously outside Bandai's scope production or conception-wise I don't see how it would harm them.

quote:

The actual reason Bandai doesn't go after the third party companies has nothing to do with fan trust, or some belief that the third party companies fill a niche. It's because those third-parties are all based out of China and going after them legally is expensive and a pain in the rear end.

Don't most companies have legal staff on salary, precisely so that they're always on hand and can work cases without worrying about being overcosted by case spam?

Apologies if you dont want to argue about this, I'm only pressing the point because I've seen other companies do this with fan releases. Also note that I'm writing this with niche release kits like DM's in mind, rather than competing redesigns like Daban.

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Oct 3, 2017

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

Neurolimal posted:

What kits does Daban make? Just want to make sure I'm not missing out on much if I avoid buying their stuff in the future.

Yeah don't buy kits from snitches.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neurolimal posted:

Daban just straight up makes bootlegs of most bandai kits. They have a couple of original designs, but that's it.

While I have my problems with DM, they at least make gundam kits of designs that haven't been released yet or significantly alter existing designs.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
So after building the SD Hi-Nu, the MG HS 2.0 and working on a MG Exia I can definitely say that a pair of god hands are so loving worth it.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

asterioth posted:

So after building the SD Hi-Nu, the MG HS 2.0 and working on a MG Exia I can definitely say that a pair of god hands are so loving worth it.

I'll back this, even if it means now I need to buy and get used to using a file. The cat clippers were rounded and on some pieces that made a difference in a flush cut or some plastic leftover.

I guess any recommendations or tips there?

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

END ME SCOOB posted:

I'll back this, even if it means now I need to buy and get used to using a file. The cat clippers were rounded and on some pieces that made a difference in a flush cut or some plastic leftover.

I guess any recommendations or tips there?

The other option is carefully shaving off the remains of the gate with a craft/hobby knife.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
The third-party Perfect Zeong insanity has begun and Samueldecal posted photos of the box and runners!

:stare:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Its probably just the zoomed out nature, but I figured there'd be more runners.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
I think a bunch of them have more than one runner in 'em.

aqu
Aug 1, 2006

But Mooooooooom

Bluefin just launched its own online store for con exclusive stuff.

You can get 10% off and free shipping with promo code 10EM0

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I picked up HG Banshee Norn... the stickers.. oh dear lord、 the stickers... :negative:

I think the worst part is even if you plan to paint it, some of the stickers are pretty much mandatory because they cover great big holes.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

I picked up HG Banshee Norn... the stickers.. oh dear lord、 the stickers... :negative:

I think the worst part is even if you plan to paint it, some of the stickers are pretty much mandatory because they cover great big holes.

That's funny, I picked up the HG Phenex (G-Reco version) at Gundam Front Tokyo, and it barely had any stickers.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

Regularly scheduled check in.
HG Kapool?
MG G-Arcane?
MG G-Self?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Hopefully never.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

everythingWasBees posted:

HG Kapool?
MG G-Arcane?
MG G-Self?

You'll get Rick Do Gyanko and you'll like it

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

aqu posted:

This is cool. They're not even super overpriced! Not much of a selection at the moment, though.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

aqu posted:

now if they could somehow get p-bandai stuff everything would be golden.

Paper Kaiju
Dec 5, 2010

atomic breadth

everythingWasBees posted:

HG Kapool?
MG G-Arcane?
MG G-Self?

The G-Self just won a Bandai poll for the next ver.Ka kit, so may see an MG of that one in a year or two (I have no idea what development time for an MG is).

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
I do not believe it;

A couple of years back, I made an order on HLJ for a Nirvash Spec 2 Bandai kit while it was Backordered, and it's just sat that way ever since. I never really minded, just never bothered cancelling it just to see what'd happen.

I just got a payment request for it :allears:.

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I do not believe it;

A couple of years back, I made an order on HLJ for a Nirvash Spec 2 Bandai kit while it was Backordered, and it's just sat that way ever since. I never really minded, just never bothered cancelling it just to see what'd happen.

Impressive it took that long. Bandai tends to do reprints of just about every drat kit they own on at least an infrequent basis, just to keep at least some stock around. Pretty sure they still print at least some of the old, original Gundam kits in small quantities just for the weirdos that want to suffer pain but haven't worked themselves up to self-harm through more traditional methods.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Guy Goodbody posted:

You'll get Rick Do Gyanko and you'll like it

are those giant bolt nipples

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Caitlin posted:

are those giant bolt nipples

It's a Dom chest light on her left and a really unfortunate crease in her blouse on her right.

Caitlin
Aug 18, 2006

When I die, if there is a heaven, I will spend eternity rolling around with a pile of kittens.

Midjack posted:

It's a Dom chest light on her left and a really unfortunate crease in her blouse on her right.

so what you're saying is she has a single lightbulb nipple

phenomenal :golfclap:

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.
One of the ball joints on the hand of my FM Barbatos Lupus is loose and someone either on here or Discord suggested covering it with clear nail polish. Is this a smart thing to do?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Beelerzebub posted:

One of the ball joints on the hand of my FM Barbatos Lupus is loose and someone either on here or Discord suggested covering it with clear nail polish. Is this a smart thing to do?

It's what I've done in the past with my stuff. Shouldn't react to the plastic or polycap material, but if you're worried test it out first I guess. I usually apply a light coating to the balljoint/peg, let it dry for 5 minutes to be sure, then put it back together. If you're worried about it reacting with the plastic you can just take a piece of paper/tissue and lay that over the balljoint as well so it's hidden by the ball.

Beelerzebub
May 28, 2016

I came here to laugh at you.

Zebulon posted:

It's what I've done in the past with my stuff. Shouldn't react to the plastic or polycap material, but if you're worried test it out first I guess. I usually apply a light coating to the balljoint/peg, let it dry for 5 minutes to be sure, then put it back together. If you're worried about it reacting with the plastic you can just take a piece of paper/tissue and lay that over the balljoint as well so it's hidden by the ball.

I don't know jack about nail polish. Any particular brand you recommend?

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Beelerzebub posted:

I don't know jack about nail polish. Any particular brand you recommend?

I've had a small bottle of, looking at it for the first time probably ever, Sally Hansen "SuperShine" Top Coat and it's lasted me literally years with no signs of anything going bad with it. I'd imagine anything along those lines would be fine. I've done it with models in the past, and pretty regularly use it on various Bandai made action figures (Robot Spirits, Figuarts, etc) without issue. The worst is that if you mess around with the joint a lot you might have to reapply it at a later date as friction wears it down.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I do not believe it;

I just got an order filled that I placed 2 years ago...and they sent it to the apartment I lived at 2 years ago.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

That's funny, I picked up the HG Phenex (G-Reco version) at Gundam Front Tokyo, and it barely had any stickers.

I counted and it has 30 small gold highlights/vents for the base Banshee and an additional 20 large gold stickers for the Norn backpack crap. Ironically enough, this is the unicorn mode but the fully splayed out destroy mode has less stickers.

Somehow between my collection of Tamiya, Mr. Color and Aqueous Hobby Color, the gold Gundam marker is still the best gold paint I own.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Do you have any gaianotes? Bright Brass is really good for gold.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Neurolimal posted:

Do you have any gaianotes? Bright Brass is really good for gold.

None of the hobby stores around me stock gaianotes so I hadn't really bothered with them yet. If they're good though I'll probably pick some up next time I see some!

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

If you can find a bottle that hasn't gone all gluey, vallejo liquid gold is loving incredible.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Ez-Sr is so much fun to mess around with. There is a fuckload of variety in this kit.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

If you can find a bottle that hasn't gone all gluey, vallejo liquid gold is loving incredible.

Seconding this. Vallejo do really good golds but they can go bad. I keep a pot on my desk to shake every day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Not entirely related to gundams, but I'm surprised by how prolific Bandai model kits are becoming, at least among toy coverage/YT channels/nerds. I certainly wasn't expecting a random glowing review of one during Ashen's stormtroopers video (especially since he seems to only have the patience for lego wrt building stuff).