Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

Loutre posted:

Somebody shoot out a classic for me to read, preferably something that's truly enjoyable and not just Important. I've read all of Mark Twain and Kurt Vonnegut, and most of Jack London, but I never went to school so I've never read like 90% of the classics people are mostly assumed to have read.

I read The Great Gatsby last night and loved it so I'm gonna keep this not-sci-fi/fantasy train going.

the count of monte cristo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

If you liked Fitzgerald, I think his superior work is Tender Is the Night. You might also like The Beautiful and the Damned (Edith Wharton's The House of Mirth is a similar concept and also quite good, but I wouldn't immediately suggest trying Wharton).

On a sci-fi-ish note, there is Shirley Jackson's The Haunting of Hill House. I'd also suggest Ken Kesey's One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest if you want some humor.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

One of my faves: Of Mice and Men. Or for a lighter tone, Cannery Row.

And of course, The Grapes of Wrath.

Loutre
Jan 14, 2004

✓COMFY
✓CLASSY
✓HORNY
✓PEPSI

RC and Moon Pie posted:

And of course, The Grapes of Wrath.

I ended up starting Master and Commander before bed because I had it lying around and couldn't decide, but I think this'll be my next book. My parents are massive Steinbeck fans but I've never read any.

Thanks everyone! I'll look back in a few days for my next one.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Loutre posted:

I ended up starting Master and Commander before bed because I had it lying around and couldn't decide, but I think this'll be my next book. My parents are massive Steinbeck fans but I've never read any.

Thanks everyone! I'll look back in a few days for my next one.

Master and Commander is insanely good, enjoy it!

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

Loutre posted:

I ended up starting Master and Commander before bed because I had it lying around and couldn't decide, but I think this'll be my next book.

Yeah, that's an awesome book.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Have you considered reading a book?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

We or The Martian Chronicles for sure, if you're looking for stuff you'd normally see assigned in college courses. The latter is one of my personal favs

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Loutre posted:

Somebody shoot out a classic for me to read, preferably something that's truly enjoyable and not just Important. I've read all of Mark Twain and Kurt Vonnegut, and most of Jack London, but I never went to school so I've never read like 90% of the classics people are mostly assumed to have read.

I read The Great Gatsby last night and loved it so I'm gonna keep this not-sci-fi/fantasy train going.

Russian lit has an intimidating air about it but The Idiot was a great, engaging read and is one of my all time favorites. The translation on offer from Project Gutenberg has the perfect flavor, accessible while still feeling quite Russian.

For just pure enjoyment it's tough to beat The Count of Monte Cristo. Just a purely enjoyable Gary Stu revenge fantasy, but much better than that description makes it out to be.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Classic-wise, I'll never pass up a chance to pimp John Dos Passos's "U.S.A." trilogy. The first one is The 42nd Parallel.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Hello, SA. I haven't really read books in a while, but after talking with my friends, I'd like to get into it again. I've pretty much only read fantasy/sci-fi all my life, but the last few I read were kind of lackluster. I want something really gripping to get me back in again.

I stopped many years ago after reading too many bad R.A. Salvatore books. I kind of got into it again with Name of the Wind and a Song of Ice and Fire, but after trudging through the Dark Tower (I only really enjoyed the first and maybe third book) series, Mistborn: Alloy of Law, and Harry Potter I kind of lost interest again.

I want something modern (i.e. written in the past 60 years, not necessarily a modern setting), fiction, and not written for young adults. I don't really care what genre, as long as the characters are interesting, the theme is thought provoking, and some poo poo actually happens (I don't like it when the entire book is just a build up to one big event where everything happens). Just something... gripping.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Stele007 posted:

Hello, SA. I haven't really read books in a while, but after talking with my friends, I'd like to get into it again. I've pretty much only read fantasy/sci-fi all my life, but the last few I read were kind of lackluster. I want something really gripping to get me back in again.

I stopped many years ago after reading too many bad R.A. Salvatore books. I kind of got into it again with Name of the Wind and a Song of Ice and Fire, but after trudging through the Dark Tower (I only really enjoyed the first and maybe third book) series, Mistborn: Alloy of Law, and Harry Potter I kind of lost interest again.

I want something modern (i.e. written in the past 60 years, not necessarily a modern setting), fiction, and not written for young adults. I don't really care what genre, as long as the characters are interesting, the theme is thought provoking, and some poo poo actually happens (I don't like it when the entire book is just a build up to one big event where everything happens). Just something... gripping.

Stars My Destination was written in 1957 but fits your other criteria perfectly; it's probably the single fastest-paced SF novel I can think of, and a lot of its themes are still very relevant (it was arguably the first cyberpunk novel, forty years before the rest of the genre showed up).

Otherwise I'd say Lies of Locke Lamora for action and a fast pace, Bridge of Birds for an enjoyable light read.

Edit: Yeah the below suggestion of Altered Carbon is good too.

I also found the Alex Verus series by Benedict Jacka to be a real page turner but it might be an acquired taste.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Sep 29, 2017

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Stele007 posted:

Altered Carbon and Silence of the Lambs were both page turners for me.

For something thought-provoking and weird, Dietmar Dath's Abolition of Species is incredible.

Stele007
Aug 12, 2007

Great! I like the variety in the suggestions. I will start on Stars My Destination this weekend. Thank you both!

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ras Het posted:

The Stranger

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Three Men in a Boat or Right Ho, Jeeves.

Radio Spiricom posted:

the count of monte cristo
These are all great suggestions. I'll add Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler and Murder on the Orient Express by Agatha Christie.

Stele007 posted:

Short stories OK? If so:
Otherwise:

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Stele007 posted:

For some reason, Christopher Moore's Lamb came to mind immediately. It's a biography of Jesus as told by his childhood best friend, Biff (yes, Biff). I'm not sure "gripping" is quite the word I'd use, but it kept my interest at a high level all the way through--a pretty good feat for a book where you already know the ending.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.

Secret Agent X23 posted:

For some reason, Christopher Moore's Lamb came to mind immediately. It's a biography of Jesus as told by his childhood best friend, Biff (yes, Biff). I'm not sure "gripping" is quite the word I'd use, but it kept my interest at a high level all the way through--a pretty good feat for a book where you already know the ending.

I think he should read Saramago's The Gospel According to Jesus Christ instead

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Ras Het posted:

hell, same

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
all of you would benefit from reading the real gospels written by the divinely-inspired evangelists

Secret Agent X23
May 11, 2005

Dave, this conversation can serve no purpose anymore.

Ras Het posted:

Had not heard of that one. (Click to Amazon...look at listing...purchase Kindle version.) Thanks!

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008
i feel ashamed asking this but what are some decent zombie books? apart from day by day armageddon

Big Bad Beetleborg
Apr 8, 2007

Things may come to those who wait...but only the things left by those who hustle.

Waroduce posted:

i feel ashamed asking this but what are some decent zombie books? apart from day by day armageddon

"The Girl With All The Gifts" was pretty interesting, but has a fairly different take on zombies from your Walking Deads or Romero movies.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Waroduce posted:

World War Z (the book, not the movie) hit all the right notes for me. Creepiness, pandemic, and some fun writing. It actually sated my desire for zombie books well enough back in the day that I haven't felt the urge to read any others in the genre.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

World War Z (the book, not the movie) hit all the right notes for me. Creepiness, pandemic, and some fun writing. It actually sated my desire for zombie books well enough back in the day that I haven't felt the urge to read any others in the genre.

I should have mentioned I've read wwx, day by day and zombie survival guide. It was really good. Something like that would be cool, just no smart zombies

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Waroduce posted:

i'm ashamed answering but i read a lot zombie trash when i was 14-15. i can only recommend books from that time period and i am of course recommending books that i liked when i was 14 and have not read since, but with those caveats:

dave wellington's monster island
brian keene's the rising and city of the dead, and his other one about zombies. dead tide or something. dead sea. i don't remember.
travis adkins' twilight of the dead
z. a. recht, plague of the dead
a lot of people liked world war z but i did not

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 05:56 on Oct 2, 2017

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Waroduce posted:

probably Die Kinder der Toten by Elfriede Jelinek, but it hasn't been translated into english yet.

Waroduce
Aug 5, 2008

A human heart posted:

probably Die Kinder der Toten by Elfriede Jelinek, but it hasn't been translated into english yet.

....I think I got to like level 60 On that In COD and never knew it was a book

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Waroduce posted:

The New Dead: A Zombie Anthology

A bunch of short stories about zombies from quite a few good authors with some pretty unique takes on the zombie lore.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Waroduce posted:

The Sandman Slim novels by Richard Kadrey are pretty good

Toast King
Jun 22, 2007

I'm really in the mood for some good stories with unreliable narrators/detective or mystery-type books. It's hard to describe what I'm really thinking of, but Dermaphoria by Craig Clevenger and Two For The Show by Jonathan Stone are two books that I couldn't get out of my head, even months later.

Dermaphoria especially, it had just the right combination of beautiful prose and semi-confusion as the main character is trying to backtrack through his memories and actions to figure out what was going on.

And the constantly twisting story of Two For The Show was just good fun, I liked the perspective of a guy who considered himself a good detective but is just constantly blindsided by all these events from his wrong assumptions.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Toast King posted:

I'm really in the mood for some good stories with unreliable narrators/detective or mystery-type books. It's hard to describe what I'm really thinking of, but Dermaphoria by Craig Clevenger and Two For The Show by Jonathan Stone are two books that I couldn't get out of my head, even months later.

Dermaphoria especially, it had just the right combination of beautiful prose and semi-confusion as the main character is trying to backtrack through his memories and actions to figure out what was going on.

And the constantly twisting story of Two For The Show was just good fun, I liked the perspective of a guy who considered himself a good detective but is just constantly blindsided by all these events from his wrong assumptions.

Lolita and Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabakov are the go-to's, especially Pale Fire

If you're in the mood for more detectives, you should try Inherent Vice by Thomas Pynchon, which is a deconstruction of hard boiled detective fiction with a detective who is constantly stoned and very prone to paranoia taking a case from his ex-girlfriend to find her millionaire real-estate mogul lover. It's one of the funniest books I've ever read. There's also The Little Sleep by Paul Tremblay, which is about a private eye who suffers from severe narcolepsy (and is prone to hallucinations, false memories, etc.) trying to solve a missing persons case. My Name Is Red by Orhan Pamuk is a murder mystery set among a group of artists in 16th century Turkey. Each chapter is narrated by a different character (one of which is the killer), including inanimate objects. It's very fun, playful and clever.

A non-mystery you should try is Mother Night by Kurt Vonnegut, which is full of twists and turns and has an unreliable narrator trying to come to terms about past crimes against humanity (Nazi spies). It's funny and heartbreaking.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Toast King posted:

A couple other recommendations for unreliable narrator include House of Leaves and Shutter Island. There's also the Southern Reach / Area X trilogy, although that's less "unreliable narrator" than "narrator with unreliable perceptions."

Boz0r
Sep 7, 2006
The Rocketship in action.
I've been playing the Eldritch Horror and Mansions of Madness board games, and I'm looking for something in that vein. Something Lovecraftian mixed with Indiana Jones. It doesn't have to be high brow or anything, just something adventurous I can listen to in my car.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry
Charles Stross's Laundry Files

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

Lolita and Pale Fire by Vladimir Nabakov are the go-to's, especially Pale Fire

Pale Fire has the most obnoxious, hateable narrator I've ever met, and realizing that essentially the entire book would be through his pov made me decide it wasn't worth it. An interesting concept for a novel, but I'm just not up for that kind of thing right now.

So, uh, if you read it, you'll know how you stand about it pretty quickly! If you dig it, it's well-written. If you don't, give it back to the library.

As for an actual rec: The Rynox Murder by Philip MacDonald. As I was discussing this topic with a friend, she made me come back here to rec this, because she loves it.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

Pale Fire has the most obnoxious, hateable narrator I've ever met, and realizing that essentially the entire book would be through his pov made me decide it wasn't worth it. An interesting concept for a novel, but I'm just not up for that kind of thing right now.

What a weird way to think about a book.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

A human heart posted:

How so?

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

A human heart posted:

[quote="“A human heart”" post="“477288670”"]
[/quote]

Eh, I get it. Started in on the Thomas Covenant series and I decided early on that there were other books I'd rather read instead of dealing with several hundred pages of rapist angst.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

You stopped reading a book because the narrator isn't someone you'd want to be friends with.

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Eh, I get it. Started in on the Thomas Covenant series and I decided early on that there were other books I'd rather read instead of dealing with several hundred pages of rapist angst.

that's a bad book though

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

It's more like sharing a room with the narrator for however long it takes me to read the book. Pale Fire, for all that it's well-written and has an interesting premise, wasn't compelling enough to make me want to spend that time with the narrator.

A neat thing about books is that I'm not going to hurt any character's feelings if I don't read their book.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foutre
Sep 4, 2011

:toot: RIP ZEEZ :toot:

A human heart posted:

You stopped reading a book because the narrator isn't someone you'd want to be friends with.

The narrator obviously plays a huge part in shaping your experience of the book/its content, and can definitely make it unpleasant to read in ways that extend beyond "I don't want to be friends with this guy". There's a lot of great books to read, and there's a lot of books that have unsympathetic narrators that are great that they might like more, so why not read one of those instead? Just because a book is 'good' doesn't mean that you shouldn't stop reading it, or that there aren't a whole mess of legitimate reasons not to like it...