Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

I dunno, tough to imagine that True Grit for example would've been as popular as it is if LaBeef had been the narrator instead of Mattie

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

The classic example here - and yes, this is a rec! - is Crime and Punishment. The main character is a murderer, certainly not a person I'd want to hang with, but he's more fascinating than obnoxious. It's just a more interesting book to me than Pale Fire because of that.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Pale Fire's narrator is supposed to be off-putting though. He's a complete narcissistic, which is part of the story and its execution.

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

A human heart posted:

that's a bad book though

I know — that's why I stopped reading it!

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

A human heart posted:

What a weird way to think about a book.

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

StrixNebulosa posted:

The classic example here - and yes, this is a rec! - is Crime and Punishment. The main character is a murderer, certainly not a person I'd want to hang with, but he's more fascinating than obnoxious. It's just a more interesting book to me than Pale Fire because of that.

How much of Pale Fire did you actually read before stopping?

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

CestMoi posted:

How much of Pale Fire did you actually read before stopping?

The opening, the first few pages of the poem, and several pages of the notes. I'd say that's enough to give the book a solid look.

Queering Wheel
Jun 18, 2011

[url=https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3876906]
What are some good stories about exploring really strange/creepy places? Things like ancient caves/tombs/catacombs, or alien megastructures, or the impossible place in House of Leaves, or anything else along those lines. Can be scifi, horror or adventure.

Queering Wheel fucked around with this message at 12:25 on Oct 12, 2017

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
The Southern Reach trilogy by Jeff Vandermeer?

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

WAR DOGS OF SOCHI posted:

Eh, I get it. Started in on the Thomas Covenant series and I decided early on that there were other books I'd rather read instead of dealing with several hundred pages of rapist angst.

i can't even make fun of you for comparing the thomas covenant series to nabokov's pale fire. it's such a shockingly idiotic take that i'm staring dumbfounded at my computer screen, spit dribbling onto my lap

AARP LARPer
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord
You're missing the point which was that I was simply commiserating with a poster who couldn't finish a book due to an unlikeable narrator. I was sharing a comparative experience about that, not the books themselves or their quality, so you can call off the DEFCON alert now.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

The opening, the first few pages of the poem, and several pages of the notes. I'd say that's enough to give the book a solid look.

I disagree. The poem's not even written in the same voice as the main narrator, and it's only 999 lines long. Pale Fire's cool because John Shade doesn't sound anything like Kinbote, which comes into play with questionable passages in the poem. It's like watching 10 minutes of The Godfather and saying "I get it, but I'm not big on this Vito Corleone guy." Like, sure, but not really. Sorry you didn't like the book, you don't have to read anything that disinterests you, but don't act like your opinions are solid based on reading 5% of a book who's mystery isn't even revealed until you start getting into Kinbote's notes.

There's no wrong way to read Pale Fire (except not reading it), but who doesn't read the whole poem before getting into the notes?

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
The best way to read pale fire: you can read either the notes or the poem, but you can choose only one, not both

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Franchescanado posted:

I disagree. The poem's not even written in the same voice as the main narrator, and it's only 999 lines long. Pale Fire's cool because John Shade doesn't sound anything like Kinbote, which comes into play with questionable passages in the poem. It's like watching 10 minutes of The Godfather and saying "I get it, but I'm not big on this Vito Corleone guy." Like, sure, but not really. Sorry you didn't like the book, you don't have to read anything that disinterests you, but don't act like your opinions are solid based on reading 5% of a book who's mystery isn't even revealed until you start getting into Kinbote's notes.

There's no wrong way to read Pale Fire (except not reading it), but who doesn't read the whole poem before getting into the notes?

I felt I'd read enough of it to get a feel for the book. :shrug:

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I mean, the question of whether or not a protagonist should be likeable has been debated in literary circles for ages so its not exactly a settled issue

On the other hand, I think if you are the kind of reader who stops reading because you don't like the protagonist, you are not a particularly meaningful reader.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I mean, the question of whether or not a protagonist should be likeable has been debated in literary circles for ages so its not exactly a settled issue

On the other hand, I think if you are the kind of reader who stops reading because you don't like the protagonist, you are not a particularly meaningful reader.

... :confused:

I'm reading for leisure! Some books compel me to read them deeply and study them. Some don't. Pale Fire didn't.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

StrixNebulosa posted:

... :confused:

I'm reading for leisure! Some books compel me to read them deeply and study them. Some don't. Pale Fire didn't.

There’s your problem. Never read for leisure. Reading should be painful.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Bandiet posted:

There’s your problem. Never read for leisure. Reading should be painful.

This but unironically

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!

Bandiet posted:

There's your problem. Never read for leisure. Reading should be painful.

Yeah, if you start doing that you might "like" things and be "entertained" and have a "good life", and we can't have that.

Not enjoying the point of view of a particular protagonist is a very good reason to stop reading something; if the narrator didn't have a huge influence on the texture of the book, why would anyone use an unreliable narrator in the first place? The same factor that gives that narrator the ability to enhance the narrative gives them the ability to detract from it as well.

Here's my more general hot take: If you don't like reading the book, stop reading the book, and if anybody thinks you should read the book or doesn't like your reasons for stopping, record yourself farting for the longest time you can possibly manage and mail them a WAV. Uncompressed, so it takes up more space. That is all the response that is required.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

idonotlikepeas posted:

Here's my more general hot take: If you don't like reading the book, stop reading the book, and if anybody thinks you should read the book or doesn't like your reasons for stopping, record yourself farting for the longest time you can possibly manage and mail them a WAV. Uncompressed, so it takes up more space. That is all the response that is required.
Yeah, I don't get people who have to finish books/TV shows/movies/games/whatever. It's entertainment. If you're not being entertained you're wasting your time. Do something you'll enjoy instead.

Ras Het
May 23, 2007

when I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child - but now I am a man.
A constant search for "entertainment" is a spiritual flaw

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tiggum posted:

Yeah, I don't get people who have to finish books/TV shows/movies/games/whatever. It's entertainment. If you're not being entertained you're wasting your time. Do something you'll enjoy instead.

Video games and tv shows are entertainment, but literature isn't.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Ras Het posted:

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

How do I submit an SA thread to /r/gatekeeping

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

regulargonzalez posted:

How do I submit an SA thread to /r/gatekeeping

/r/gatekeepinggatekeeping

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
mentally pronouncing "SA" as its individual letters insead of "sah" is also a spiritual flaw

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Ras Het posted:

A human heart posted:

Video games and tv shows are entertainment, but literature isn't.
:jerkbag:

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Nice counterargument there mate.

funkybottoms
Oct 28, 2010

Funky Bottoms is a land man
Nice derail, everyone.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Recommend me a book that’s not entertaining at all

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ready Player One

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

This is purely a matter of taste but I hated reading the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

StrixNebulosa posted:

This is purely a matter of taste but I hated reading the Adventures of Huckleberry Finn.

i hope you loving die

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Huckleberry Finn is probably the most fun required reading I had in school, except for maybe To Kill A Mockingbird, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Frankenstein.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i hope you loving die

This is, uh, a bit much. Having bad taste in books isn't a death sentence.

Franchescanado posted:

Huckleberry Finn is probably the most fun required reading I had in school, except for maybe To Kill A Mockingbird, One Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest and Frankenstein.

Mark Twain's a cool author - I loved reading his adventures on a river boat - but something about Huck Finn just stuck in my craw and made it a hellish experience for me. I genuinely would've been happier if we had done more Shakespeare instead. Or, hell - either of the last two books you mentioned. We didn't read those in High School and I feel like I missed out. (To Kill A Mockingbird happened, but I'll be damned if I can remember reading it. I might need to revisit it!)

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Babyfucker by Urs Allemann

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Hunter by James Huggins

edit: also anything by Steinbeck

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Wikipedia posted:

Originally, Sylvester Stallone wanted to base Rambo: Last Blood on Hunter. Stallone had the film rights to Hunter for a while but never managed to make a film adaptation. But on November 12, 2009, it has been reported that Stallone is saving the Hunter plot for another film,[1] possibly for a Hunter film adaptation.

e: Cannery Row was fun, with the guys just trying to do something nice for Doc and ruining everything

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

e: Cannery Row was fun, with the guys just trying to do something nice for Doc and ruining everything

Don't forget Sweet Thursday

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Don't forget Sweet Thursday

I liked Steinbeck's version of The Adventures of King Arthur. He was the only writer I've seen who made the Guinevere-Lancelot romance interesting.