Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

padijun
Feb 5, 2004

murderbears forever

They've been doing gary glitter/jimmy savile/jared fogle jokes for a straight year and no one's batted an eye

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I wonder if people are going to demand the DSA fire Nick Mullen again.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
whom amongst us stopped??

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
That picture is perfectly fine unless Cosby is found guilty by a jury of his peers. Maybe the boys are just fans of his standup?

HelixFox
Dec 20, 2004

Heed the words of this ancient spirit.
I feel a bit bad for seeing people mad at Chapo about something on Twitter and thinking "What has Felix done this time?"

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
They should not apologize for that, it's funny

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

Josh Lyman posted:

But I thought they "don't give a gently caress about being politically correct"???

lol I'm really getting the sense that this show is not going to click for you.

Le Saboteur
Dec 5, 2007

I hear you wish to ball, adventurer..

GalacticAcid posted:

They should not apologize for that, it's funny

I seriously can not work out the joke in it. If there is a joke, its absolutely poo poo timing and Will is right to be apologizing right now.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
hollywood is vigorously anti-weinstein all of the sudden but couldn't summon that level of vigor against cosby and his star is still out there

i'm not saying it's a good take, just that's what they were going for

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I'm offended 24/7, personally, by the pod cast men,

Bryter
Nov 6, 2011

but since we are small we may-
uh, we may be the losers

padijun posted:

They've been doing gary glitter/jimmy savile/jared fogle jokes for a straight year and no one's batted an eye

Yeah but to pretend to not understand the podcast jokes and their targets with your pals you'd have to post a link with a timestamp and poo poo, lot of effort

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Le Saboteur posted:

I seriously can not work out the joke in it. If there is a joke, its absolutely poo poo timing and Will is right to be apologizing right now.

Bill Cosby still has a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. That's the joke. He's a bad person, but that hasn't gone away. I think Trump's star is still there, too.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Le Saboteur posted:

They're mocking people who defend Confederacy/Columbus statues, which support monsters and their horrific ideologies, just like how Bill Cosby's also a monster. See also: The Jared Fogle Innocence Project.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

GalacticAcid posted:

lol I'm really getting the sense that this show is not going to click for you.
In this case I was pointing out that when they only had 5 eps and few listeners, they claimed the mantle of subversion, but now that they make over $1 million/year they've sold out and have to backtrack and apologize for something they would've leaned into just 15 months ago.

Though obviously I could be completely wrong.

coathat
May 21, 2007

Never apologize

Hot Dog Day #91
Jun 19, 2003

Just to help with the money numbers:

Their patreon has been live for over a year, but it obviously hasn't drawn 100k/month for that whole run. It also cannot predictably draw 100k/month forever. They have costs: they're incorporated, they have office space, they travel for shows and they have audio equipment they have to buy/maintain. I don't think they have server costs though.

Then there are more than 3 members. Brendon, Amber, Virgil are all getting paid. I think they have an additional producer now. I'm guessing their guests are getting some money (if they're not paying Tim Faust good god).

Even if you just count the 3 dry boys, Brandon, Virgil, and Amber, 100k/month is 16k/month each, which means annually 200k pre tax in New York City. We know that they do not earn that much, because of overhead. We also know the time period they earned 100k/month is not a year, nor is it long term predictable income.

In short - they are making money off their podcast, as they should. But they're not each millionaires because of it.

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
I thought the joke was extremely obvious but I get that it's a bad look and I'll agree with the take that they should run all posts by Amber.

Also Patreon must take some off the top, right?

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hot Dog Day #91 posted:

Just to help with the money numbers:

Their patreon has been live for over a year, but it obviously hasn't drawn 100k/month for that whole run. It also cannot predictably draw 100k/month forever. They have costs: they're incorporated, they have office space, they travel for shows and they have audio equipment they have to buy/maintain. I don't think they have server costs though.

Then there are more than 3 members. Brendon, Amber, Virgil are all getting paid. I think they have an additional producer now. I'm guessing their guests are getting some money (if they're not paying Tim Faust good god).

Even if you just count the 3 dry boys, Brandon, Virgil, and Amber, 100k/month is 16k/month each, which means annually 200k pre tax in New York City. We know that they do not earn that much, because of overhead. We also know the time period they earned 100k/month is not a year, nor is it long term predictable income.

In short - they are making money off their podcast, as they should. But they're not each millionaires because of it.

I heard they each drive solid-gold Ferraris to the country club, where they drink champagne and laugh at the poors who paid for all of it.

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

Yeah that's really tone-deaf at best and incredibly poorly timed on top of that.

ffs don't give your enemies cudgels to beat you with by doing an edgy rapist joke that can be so easily misinterpreted and taken out of context. They're smarter than this.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
They were probably both high and drunk

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I genuinely don't get how you could look at that and not immediately recognize it's a joke. Like, there's really no other way to interpret it?

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

You know I thought the bend the knee thing was stupid and not their fault at all but you'd think it would have gotten them to check their necks in general so they wouldn't do something as poo poo-awful dumb as this

Maybe podcast irony bros should just stay the gently caress away from rape jokes how about that.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Saagonsa posted:

I genuinely don't get how you could look at that and not immediately recognize it's a joke. Like, there's really no other way to interpret it?

It's a joke about a sex monster, so people immediately think it's pro-sex monster.

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

misadventurous posted:

You know I thought the bend the knee thing was stupid and not their fault at all but you'd think it would have gotten them to check their necks in general so they wouldn't do something as poo poo-awful dumb as this

Maybe podcast irony bros should just stay the gently caress away from rape jokes how about that.

good job they didn't make one then

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
it's not a rape joke jfc

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
The Internet Makes You Stupid

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it

Saagonsa posted:

The people who scream at chapo are mostly broke brained

Antares
Jan 13, 2006

i can't wait until i'm so woke i'm protecting bill cosby's walk of fame star from jokes

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I get what they were going for and that the joke is not explicitly "rape is funny" or something okay, I'm saying why would they even want to touch that subject with a ten-foot pole at this point? It's loving stupid and risky and hey look, it backfired

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

https://www.reddit.com/r/ChapoTrapHouse/comments/75yajp/the_monument_defenders_have_logged_on_to_the_la/

how DARE you chapo :qq:

quote:

Man you just know Chapo feel trapped as gently caress in their lovely out of control empire, they don't care about any of this poo poo any more, there isnt anything left to say, they just wanna cash out and live the cum boy life

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006
It's one thing to think the joke is bad and should not be done because it might bother people or whatever. I think that's ok.

But neither the Chapo people nor anyone else should be worried about 'giving their enemies ammo' by 'doing things that might be misinterpreted'. People who are going to argue against you in bad faith all the time are going to do it no matter what and the only way you can fight against that is by not giving a poo poo.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

padijun posted:

The difference is that all those men are in prison. Cosby and Ratner aren't and continue to torment their victims to this day.

I do get it, it's wacky and amusing that Cosby and Ratner have Hollywood stars when they shouldn't, but I disagree. It's neither wacky nor amusing, it's just sad. The joke just isn't very funny, especially right now. I think that getting yelled at online is probably the most that will, or should, happen to them and it's not worth complaining about.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Saagonsa posted:

Theres a way: You can willfully misinterpret it in order to yell at someone online

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
Now watch as those clintonite libs refuse and change any of their failed policies or views because they'll never let go of a tasteless joke tweet.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
https://twitter.com/stavvers/status/918430752014000128

Zikan
Feb 29, 2004

it’s not libs yelling at Chapo it’s actual leftists which is why they’re apologizing and backtracking

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pedro De Heredia posted:

It's one thing to think the joke is bad and should not be done because it might bother people or whatever. I think that's ok.

But neither the Chapo people nor anyone else should be worried about 'giving their enemies ammo' by 'doing things that might be misinterpreted'. People who are going to argue against you in bad faith all the time are going to do it no matter what and the only way you can fight against that is by not giving a poo poo.

I mean you're never gonna change the minds of the Joy Ann Reids or Peter Daous of the world but I think where stuff like this hurts is it's just enough to scare off people who would otherwise be interested in getting into leftist politics. Like it or not, they're one of the most visible faces of the left right now, and I think some people that are more mainstream democrat in their beliefs could see something like this and be like "ew, I think I'm fine right here" instead of inquiring further.

I do get the joke they were going for but it was tasteless and very ill-timed and apologizing and trying to make good is the right move. Frankly, I can't blame anyone for whom this is the last straw with them.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Someone on this thread suggests that they donate the month's Patreon earnings to a good cause because of this bad joke. Amazing.

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

Zikan posted:

it’s not libs yelling at Chapo it’s actual leftists which is why they’re apologizing and backtracking

the point isnt that they shouldnt apologize, they should and they did, but I'm talking about those annoying libs who will always hold this against them no matter what., they will use this as a cudgel to silence them and silence anyone who tries to change their loser failure behaviors and ideas. It's people like this who will absolutely hand Trump and the GOP victory in 2018 and 2020.

Al-Saqr fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Oct 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Frankly, I can't blame anyone for whom this is the last straw with them.

we call those people 'losers' lmao