Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Saagonsa posted:

I genuinely don't get how you could look at that and not immediately recognize it's a joke. Like, there's really no other way to interpret it?

All irony is real now. If you're ironic you have to get killed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

we call those people 'losers' lmao

being that you're clearly a big winner I have to defer to you on this

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

being that you're clearly a big winner I have to defer to you on this

whatever man this poo poo's boring who cares

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
How the gently caress do you see this photo and get angry at the boys instead of the Hollywood Star!? :psyduck:

Grammar-Bolshevik
Oct 12, 2017

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Frankly, I can't blame anyone for whom this is the last straw with them.

That's a subfraction of tumblr types, at best they grind twitter woke signalling like a mmorpg addict. Alienating/courting them is a zero sum gain.

Rape jokes can be good for society:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-yUafzOXHPE

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

whatever man this poo poo's boring who cares

I mean, obviously not you. You're so not mad that in fact, you're actually laughing

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.

MonsieurChoc posted:

How the gently caress do you see this photo and get angry at the boys instead of the Hollywood Star!? :psyduck:

Liberalism.Jpeg

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

Zikan posted:

it’s not libs yelling at Chapo it’s actual leftists which is why they’re apologizing and backtracking

There's plenty of actual leftists who are going to argue in bad faith too.

Koburn
Oct 8, 2004

FIND THE JUDGE CHILD OR YOUR CITY DIES
Grimey Drawer
How do you feel anything at all towards the photo. I wouldn't even consider it a joke. Yet there are over 200 people in that reddit thread universally acting like this is some unforgivable act. I wouldn't have thought the audience for this podcast would have such a thin skin.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
DSA people can be just as obnoxious as Libs when they want to be.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

pospysyl posted:

The difference is that all those men are in prison. Cosby and Ratner aren't and continue to torment their victims to this day.

Is Brett Ratner an abuser/rapist? I've never heard accusations leveled against him, and I thought the joke with his star is that he's just a lovely director.

Pedro De Heredia posted:

Someone on this thread suggests that they donate the month's Patreon earnings to a good cause because of this bad joke. Amazing.

Felix once donated his month's Paterson earnings once because he said "cocksucker" on an episode, there is precedent for this.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I mean, obviously not you. You're so not mad that in fact, you're actually laughing

a cupcake and a candy bar

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

Koburn posted:

How do you feel anything at all towards the photo. I wouldn't even consider it a joke. Yet there are over 200 people in that reddit thread universally acting like this is some unforgivable act. I wouldn't have thought the audience for this podcast would have such a thin skin.

There are people in the Chapo Reddit who are like SIR SIR SIR PLEASE APOLOGIZE FOR HAVING MATT TAIBBI ON I WILL CANCEL MY PATREON SUB IF YOU EVER HAVE MATT TAIBBI ON AGAIN

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Phone posted:

There are people in the Chapo Reddit who are like SIR SIR SIR PLEASE APOLOGIZE FOR HAVING MATT TAIBBI ON I WILL CANCEL MY PATREON SUB IF YOU EVER HAVE MATT TAIBBI ON AGAIN

It'll be amazing to see the reddit thread when they finally do get Dolan and Ames on as guests.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Is Brett Ratner an abuser/rapist? I've never heard accusations leveled against him, and I thought the joke with his star is that he's just a lovely director.
They must mean Bryan Singer, the other guy who directed X-Men movies.

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES

The_Rob posted:

DSA people can be...Libs

Rhesus Pieces
Jun 27, 2005

MonsieurChoc posted:

Easily, if you don't listen to Chapo and just see the photo and not the tweet it's attached to.

Pedro De Heredia
May 30, 2006

X-Ray Pecs posted:

Felix once donated his month's Paterson earnings once because he said "cocksucker" on an episode, there is precedent for this.

I remember Felix donating money because of that Melissa McEwan thing, which was a much worse thing. There's also a line between donating your own money, and being fined. Claims that they should "donate" the Patreon money are pretty close to just being claims that they should be fined for their behavior.

I am reminded of Will's tweet from a few months ago, during the bend the knee thing, when he said that what really drives many people insane about Chapo is that they can't get them fired from anywhere. The fact that this is a self-sustaining podcast and its hosts make a fair amount of money really does play into a lot of these reactions and the desire to find some other way to stick it to them.

People on that subreddit really do complain about that and think 'the money' should be going to something else.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Rhesus Pieces posted:

Yeah that's really tone-deaf at best and incredibly poorly timed on top of that.

ffs don't give your enemies cudgels to beat you with by doing an edgy rapist joke that can be so easily misinterpreted and taken out of context. They're smarter than this.

Who gives a gently caress you miserable nerd.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

misadventurous posted:

You know I thought the bend the knee thing was stupid and not their fault at all but you'd think it would have gotten them to check their necks in general so they wouldn't do something as poo poo-awful dumb as this

Maybe podcast irony bros should just stay the gently caress away from rape jokes how about that.

Check these nuts. They can do what they want.

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
Can't wait for the subreddit's reaction to Nick Mullen on the p'cast.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

pospysyl posted:

The difference is that all those men are in prison. Cosby and Ratner aren't and continue to torment their victims to this day.

I do get it, it's wacky and amusing that Cosby and Ratner have Hollywood stars when they shouldn't, but I disagree. It's neither wacky nor amusing, it's just sad. The joke just isn't very funny, especially right now. I think that getting yelled at online is probably the most that will, or should, happen to them and it's not worth complaining about.

It is funny.

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

Lol what is it with goons acting like cut-rate versions of the people they're fans of

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011
drat there's a lot of people that are apparently here for the politically incorrect and not for the leftism

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

coathat posted:

Never apologize

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Being leftist is to be politically incorrect.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

I'm extremely online yet completely unaware of the concept of irony and I'm steaming mad

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Josh said that they were “trying to make a statement about how the Hollywood industry has condemned Harvey Weinstein but still leaves Cosby’s star up.”

Funnily enough, the same intent could’ve been communicated via posting the picture of the star, and, well, just saying “why is his star still up? Hollywood doesn’t actually care about stopping abusive structures” or something to that effect.

I’m an under-20 cis, het, white guy. I’m surrounded by this type of bullshit humor that relies on combining edginess and irony & blowing both aspects up as far as you can until it’s feasibly possible to argue that the joke stands for any imaginable point you ascribe to it. It’s loving horrendous. It’s not clever, it’s not original, and it’s not funny.

It feels like every single man on Earth, from the most regular normie to the most online Nazi has made at least a dozen jokes just like this. This joke is structurally identical in every possible way to something you’d find on /r/dankmemes or the meninist twitter page. When I started realizing caring about other people was good & worth doing, it almost-instantly made me realize that it’s almost impossible to get away from this type of joke/meme. That was why finding Chapo & the Online left was awesome — they did care, they were ironic, but they made fun of people that deserved it in a clear way that really obviously gets across the message that this is loving terrible & you shouldn’t support this, rather than “oh wow, that sure is TWISTED of you to post!”

This type of humor has nothing to do with making any actual statement; it’s about masturbating over how desensitized & cool you are for saying transgressive things that are so wrong they Cross the Line Twice. Keep crap like this out of this space, please— it makes it impossible to actually discuss things that matter, or use relevant humor in said discussions.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

UP AND ADAM posted:

Josh said that they were “trying to make a statement about how the Hollywood industry has condemned Harvey Weinstein but still leaves Cosby’s star up.”

Funnily enough, the same intent could’ve been communicated via posting the picture of the star, and, well, just saying “why is his star still up? Hollywood doesn’t actually care about stopping abusive structures” or something to that effect.

I’m an under-20 cis, het, white guy. I’m surrounded by this type of bullshit humor that relies on combining edginess and irony & blowing both aspects up as far as you can until it’s feasibly possible to argue that the joke stands for any imaginable point you ascribe to it. It’s loving horrendous. It’s not clever, it’s not original, and it’s not funny.

It feels like every single man on Earth, from the most regular normie to the most online Nazi has made at least a dozen jokes just like this. This joke is structurally identical in every possible way to something you’d find on /r/dankmemes or the meninist twitter page. When I started realizing caring about other people was good & worth doing, it almost-instantly made me realize that it’s almost impossible to get away from this type of joke/meme. That was why finding Chapo & the Online left was awesome — they did care, they were ironic, but they made fun of people that deserved it in a clear way that really obviously gets across the message that this is loving terrible & you shouldn’t support this, rather than “oh wow, that sure is TWISTED of you to post!”

This type of humor has nothing to do with making any actual statement; it’s about masturbating over how desensitized & cool you are for saying transgressive things that are so wrong they Cross the Line Twice. Keep crap like this out of this space, please— it makes it impossible to actually discuss things that matter, or use relevant humor in said discussions.

lol

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
I'm glad nothing is immune to exhausting twitter drama

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
for the crime of making jokes while earning above a living wage, these men must be sentenced to death

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008
How about that for a reading series?

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008

UP AND ADAM posted:

Log off

Go outside

Venuz Patrol
Mar 27, 2011

UP AND ADAM posted:

Being leftist is to be politically incorrect.

horseshoe theory is real now

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
would love to hear UP AND ADAM define "normie" and also explain why he isn't one

Know Such Peace
Dec 30, 2008

A Good Boy posted:

I’m an under-20 cis, het, white guy...When I started realizing caring about other people was good & worth doing, it almost-instantly made me realize that it’s almost impossible to get away from this type of joke/meme.

deadwing
Mar 5, 2007

little munchkin posted:

would love to hear UP AND ADAM define "normie" and also explain why he isn't one

Lmao it's r/chapo

GalacticAcid
Apr 8, 2013

NEW YORK VALUES
I like my hosts in business suits, I watch them on TV
I'm calling out 'most every tweet and fighting irony
They tell me that it's woke of me, but I don't even care
I know that it's crazy
I know that it's nowhere
But there is no denying that
It's hip to be care
It's hip to be care
It's hip to be care
It's hip to be care

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Lawnie posted:

Speaking of, are there any actually good other lefty politics podcasts?

If you are looking for some color in your lefty podcasts I'll recommend:

Politically Reactive is a bog standard political discussion podcast with interviews that goes heavy deep into minority politics within the left. They do some fine editing and insert footnotes to add detail and context to the current interview. Their most recent episode had Alicia Garza dump on Clinton's book. So if you are fueled by a hate boner for Hillary, that episode should satisfy.

Bodega Boys is far more on the comedy side of the spectrum. If you enjoy the impressions from the dry boys, Desus Nice and Kid Mero got you covered. Gang Gang!

Waypoint Radio is the vice gaming podcast and half of every other show goes into whatever politic news. Austin Walker is a fantastic host. It is hella millenial, but you can get the hot takes about Charlottesville and what it means for the new wolfenstein game in the same hour long show.

Put some black voices in ya ears!