Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Andrast posted:

What the gently caress are you people even arguing about

Eri's quirk is so powerful that she's destroyed all tension and impact possible within the series.

Or maybe it's poorly explained via bad translation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SatansBestBuddy
Sep 26, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

RareAcumen posted:

Or maybe it's poorly explained via bad translation.

Probably that. Should wait for official translation before we start arguing over power levels.

Watch it be something like "Undo" instead of "Rewind"

Because rewinding doesn't even make sense in a world where everybody is born with their powers

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!

Andrast posted:

What the gently caress are you people even arguing about

It's basically a whole bunch of overreacting to something barely explained in a bad scanlation.

I'm sure there won't be any downside or recompense tied to Eri's quirk, since this series definitely doesn't have an established history of doing exactly that. She's just going to walk around rewinding consequences like Orihime. We'll be in Hueco Mundo soon friends.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

Manatee Cannon posted:

considering you're stuck on this concept of using children like tools, nah I'd say the endeavor comparison works pretty well

Nah Endeavor is really bad at that, while UA is very good at that.

I don't want to be the lovely version.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ua requires you, as a hypothetical teen on the cusp of adulthood, to really fuckin want to be a hero, like, you gotta literally fight giant robots to get in

it's not anywhere near the same as exploiting a child because their power is useful lmao

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Lol sure.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Every single post you make in this thread is caustic and hostile. You're getting very aggro over a weeaboo comic about spandex punchmans. Take a deep breath, go outside, maybe pull that stick out of your rear end and use it to go on a hike.

Cipher Pol 9
Oct 9, 2006

Is "An emotionally and physically abusive father is almost the same as a voluntary hero training institution" really an argument being made in this thread. Sure UA isn't safe, All Might punched a kid's guts out and Deku repeatedly blew up his bones in front of a crowd, but the two are functionally incomparable.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

SatansBestBuddy posted:

Probably that. Should wait for official translation before we start arguing over power levels.

Because rewinding doesn't even make sense in a world where everybody is born with their powers

I'm still firmly convinced that her power is Crazy Diamond but limited to people.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

PMush Perfect posted:

Every single post you make in this thread is caustic and hostile. You're getting very aggro over a weeaboo comic about spandex punchmans. Take a deep breath, go outside, maybe pull that stick out of your rear end and use it to go on a hike.

Cipher Pol 9 posted:

Is "An emotionally and physically abusive father is almost the same as a voluntary hero training institution" really an argument being made in this thread. Sure UA isn't safe, All Might punched a kid's guts out and Deku repeatedly blew up his bones in front of a crowd, but the two are functionally incomparable.

Dude's a troll, probably best to just stop engaging with him.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SatansBestBuddy posted:

"Undo" would still be pretty ridiculous. It would be like Recovery Girl's quirk except better in every way. Then again, Chisaki's quirk is also pretty loving ridiculous and also capable of perfectly healing people.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I don't see why a quirk that rewinds things is worse than a guy whose hair slows down a person's personal passage through time

Cheston
Jul 17, 2012

(he's got a good thing going)

TFRazorsaw posted:

I don't see why a quirk that rewinds things is worse than a guy whose hair slows down a person's personal passage through time

Is that what hair guy does? I thought he just grew, like, a LOT of hair

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I'm talking about Chronostasis, one of Chisaki's minions. His hair is shaped like clock hands and he can slow down an individual's personal time by hitting people with it.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He still has to hit them with his hair, and he can only use it when he isn't moving. The drawbacks help balance the ability.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

Ytlaya posted:

He still has to hit them with his hair, and he can only use it when he isn't moving. The drawbacks help balance the ability.

Which is why we should probably wait to yell about Eri's quirk until we know whether or not there are drawbacks. There almost certainly are, like literally every other quirk we've seen so far.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I wasn't really talking about it in terms of drawbacks, more like a "this is ridiculous and not very grounded" sort of thing

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SpacePig posted:

Which is why we should probably wait to yell about Eri's quirk until we know whether or not there are drawbacks. There almost certainly are, like literally every other quirk we've seen so far.

Chisaki's ridiculous quirk doesn't really have any drawbacks, though I agree we should wait and see regarding Eri's.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Ytlaya posted:

Chisaki's ridiculous quirk doesn't really have any drawbacks, though I agree we should wait and see regarding Eri's.

The drawback is he's a villain and is going to die

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

well there is the drawback that to use it on himself he has to destroy and rebuild himself. he didn't seem to like that much

Dr Subterfuge
Aug 31, 2005

TIME TO ROC N' ROLL
The drawback of Overhaul's Quirk is using it seems to increase his mental instability. Also, getting broken down and reformed apparently hurts quite a lot.

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
"balance" doesn't really mean much. it's not a videogame

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
Sure, but a power without a consequence to using it is pretty boring. Especially one that has the power to very locally undo things. So if her power does end up having no cost to use, it'll be OFA/AFO levels of powerful. I really doubt, though, that it won't have a cost, or at least a restriction.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

IronicDongz posted:

"balance" doesn't really mean much. it's not a videogame

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

trust good storytellers

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I do, but I don't see what that has to do with this series

I'm sorry I'm sorry I don't mean that

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think they should give Eri a metal muzzle and strap her to the front of a car as a source of fresh blood.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

TFRazorsaw posted:

I wasn't really talking about it in terms of drawbacks, more like a "this is ridiculous and not very grounded" sort of thing

Yeah, I hope it doesn't spoil the realism and grounded comedy of Explosion Hands Man, Fire-and-Ice guy, and Acid Sweat Girl hanging out with No-Gravity girl and Pikachu.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I think they should find Eri a nice home with a loving family and ask her if she'd like an after school job

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think they should put Eri in therapy and she should quietly fade out of existence in the narrative like your friends when you ask for help moving your couch up a flight of stairs.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Quirks can be as weird and crazy as possible but there has to be some sort of consistency in how they are applied. Like Recovery Girl just speeds up your natural healing process. She's not casting a magic spell so if you have a problem that wouldn't be something that heals normally she can't help which is why they can have All Might being this hero on his decline due to injuries despite having someone that makes people heal up very quickly. If Eri's quirk works like it's being implied it seems like she would be able to heal All Might or even Deku for instance. I'm assuming that isn't the case because it's such an obvious "well why isn't she just doing this thing?" question any reader would make and that where it become silly. It's not how grounded the quirks are, it's just consistency within how they are written within their framework.

I'm guess either there's something the translation is missing, information that's being left ambiguous since her power was revealed right as the chapter ends and there's some sort of limit, or that power is going to be removed one way or another. It's application is just too world changing and "well she's a kid so they wouldn't make her do anything" wouldn't really hold up as an excuse, especially when she wouldn't even need to be in combat to be effective.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Since nobody else is doing it, I'll dig up the official translation from SJ. I ramped through the comic yesterday at work, so I don't remember the exact wording.

EDIT: Viz is specifically using the word "Rewind"

Neito fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 17, 2017

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Official localization is available online. I am obviously not linking it in full, but here's the important page:

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
One of the big themes in the comic is people becoming more adept with their quirks over time. Deku started out blowing up his own body, Mirio went from accidentally falling through the floor and phasing his own clothes off to becoming an ultrabeast.

Eri accidentally rewound her own father out of existence. She's a scared, abused little girl who's life up to this point has been pain, she only managed to do what she did to Overhaul out of last minute desperation. There's no way she's going to be used as a magic undo button until maybe way later in the comic after some kind of time skip when she's more skilled at using her quirk.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

Interested to see how they explain the conversion from Eri's quirk to a bullet that "destroys" quirks. It's possible that it's not actually a permanent effect, but just rewinds the persons quirk to pre-manifestation, in which case the effect might be reversible over time. That detail probably determines whether Mirio will get his quirk back or not.

Obviously Overhaul believes they permanently erase quirks, but if it's something that comes back after a year or two then he likely wouldn't have any way to verify the long term effects since it was only just "perfected".

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Actually, if that's the case given evidence from the imperfect bullets, maybe the issue with her quirk is that it's temporary (aside from the whole rewind out of existence thing) like rewinding a tape. It might still be bound to be he same fate-oriented rules as Nighteye's quirk.

Who knows.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Welcome to the true 9 year old kid's world.

100 degrees Calcium
Jan 23, 2011

Are any of y'all reading the Viz translations for this stuff? Do they come much later than MangaStream? I don't know if I'm just being finicky but I find this manga a lot less readable since Fallen Angels stopped working on it.

Death Bot
Mar 4, 2007

Binary killing machines, turning 1 into 0 since 0011000100111001 0011011100110110

JahRoo posted:

Interested to see how they explain the conversion from Eri's quirk to a bullet that "destroys" quirks. It's possible that it's not actually a permanent effect, but just rewinds the persons quirk to pre-manifestation, in which case the effect might be reversible over time. That detail probably determines whether Mirio will get his quirk back or not.

Obviously Overhaul believes they permanently erase quirks, but if it's something that comes back after a year or two then he likely wouldn't have any way to verify the long term effects since it was only just "perfected".

Yeah this is what I'm wondering. Even then, erasing someones quirk for a couple years seems pretty effective..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dj Meow Mix
Jan 27, 2009

corgicorgicorgicorgi
rockin everywhere

100 degrees Calcium posted:

Are any of y'all reading the Viz translations for this stuff? Do they come much later than MangaStream? I don't know if I'm just being finicky but I find this manga a lot less readable since Fallen Angels stopped working on it.

The digital+translated version of Shonen Jump comes out on the following Monday, usually around noon eastern. I guess that puts it around 3-4 days later than fan translations, but I haven't kept up with fan stuff since subscribing.