Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kinsky posted:

What "we know" is a string of facts that are third-hand at best. Don't assume you're an expert on a topic just because you clicked on a bunch of articles on Google News. The fact that you would even consider literally changing the brain chemistry of everyone in the world to eliminate wrongthink shows how ridiculously shortsighted you are.

The Truth, I've found it! It was in the middle all along!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Well the word got around they said this kid is insane, man
Banged in the mouth and now he's got AIDS, man

Shbobdb posted:

Lol. "If we're nice to Republicans and lunatics surly they will come around! It would be dismissive and classist not to listen to this man's three hour lecture on phrenology and kekistan!"

Nice post! I really like how you managed to squeeze a meme reference in there. Really drives home the way you think I'm beneath consideration because I disagree with your opinions. :thumbsup:

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kinsky posted:

It would be closed minded not to listen to racists! Are you open minded enough to admit that maybe the black man can never be fully civilized and will always remain a violent Savage? How can we know unless we have an open and honest dialogue about why some people are subhuman?

I hope you enjoy having pieces of poo poo dominate the national dialogue.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!
So from what I understand, the President is now officially denying he said “he knew what he signed up for” to the family of the special forces soldier who was killed. This despite the fact that the soldier’s family confirmed the quote, so here we go on Trump Vs. The Families of Dead Soldiers, Part ???

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Kinsky posted:

What can you even say you know about the waitress that allows you to make the reasonable assertion that she's "lovely" or a "total nutjob"?

Well, she went on a totally unprompted rant about how Hillary Clinton is a witch/lesbian/babykiller to a customer at the business she works at. I know that much about her. And in my mind, that makes her a lovely nutjob.

I didn't realize my private thoughts and judgements about a random person were so offensive to you. If it makes you feel better, I didn't say anything negative to her, I just smiled and nodded till she stopped.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

Kinsky posted:

Nice post! I really like how you managed to squeeze a meme reference in there. Really drives home the way you think I'm beneath consideration because I disagree with your opinions. :thumbsup:

Are you offended as a lunatic ?

BarbarianElephant
Feb 12, 2015
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Pirate Radar posted:

So from what I understand, the President is now officially denying he said “he knew what he signed up for” to the family of the special forces soldier who was killed. This despite the fact that the soldier’s family confirmed the quote, so here we go on Trump Vs. The Families of Dead Soldiers, Part ???

If you take a look at the pictures of the soldier in question, you can see why Trump's behavior clearly "doesn't count" in this case, and Republicans can continue believing that Trump "supports the troops."

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

I hope you enjoy having pieces of poo poo dominate the national dialogue.

How the hell did you make the leap from "you shouldn't dismiss people as insane pieces of poo poo because they have different opinions" to endorsing racism?

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

WampaLord posted:

Well, she went on a totally unprompted rant about how Hillary Clinton is a witch/lesbian/babykiller to a customer at the business she works at. I know that much about her. And in my mind, that makes her a lovely nutjob.

I didn't realize my private thoughts and judgements about a random person were so offensive to you. If it makes you feel better, I didn't say anything negative to her, I just smiled and nodded till she stopped.

Well I'm glad you were at least polite enough to smugly condescend to her while remaining comfortable in the superiority of your intellect.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
is there a point to this meltdown, is it building up to something, or can i read the summary later

Fearless
Sep 3, 2003

DRINK MORE MOXIE

Angry_Ed posted:

Yes, however a nonzero of people who start believing in these ridiculous conspiracy theories are doing so because of some level of emotional or mental trauma that, because of the stigmatization of mental heathcare in this country, they refuse to talk to people about it. I have a friend who suffered a life-threatening incident several years ago and as a result became very steeped in poo poo like Chemtrails, 9/11 Truthism, ridiculous poo poo Alex Jones said, etc. It took him about 5 years to realize that these beliefs in Chemtrails and other conspiracy theories were directly tied to his unresolved issues over nearly dying. If he'd seen a therapist or someone else he could've talked this stuff out with, it might not have taken as long.

I'm not saying this applies to everyone, but it applies to enough people.

Brain trauma too. I have a brother and two friends that have all suffered severe concussions and I've noticed that there seems to be a connection between post concussive syndrome and belief in conspiracy theories. I'm not, nor will I ever argue that I think conservatism is caused by a disease as I think that political belief has an important place in the governance of a democratic society. However, I suspect that the feelings of generalized anxiety, fatigue and insomnia that accompany PCS hinder a person's ability to think rationally and make them more susceptible to the outright falsification that appears in conspiracy circles.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

Kinsky posted:

How the hell did you make the leap from "you shouldn't dismiss people as insane pieces of poo poo because they have different opinions" to endorsing racism?

Different opinions like "Hillary Clinton is a witch."

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger

boner confessor posted:

is there a point to this meltdown, is it building up to something, or can i read the summary later

I think it's a performance piece meant to highlight the value of reading comprehension as a skill that is being taught less and less by the school system, but it could also just be a really tepid trolling attempt. It is a slow day, so far.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Keeshhound posted:

It is a slow day, so far.

I'm actually curious about that. What kind of story is Fox ect. trying to stir up to try and avoid talking about Trump today?

Edit: Rats. I didn't bookmark the link for the frontpage image grab site. Doesn't help I can't remember how to spell the author's user name.

Ceiling fan fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Oct 18, 2017

Keeshhound
Jan 14, 2010

Mad Duck Swagger
Apparantly they're trying to spin Weinstein as an example of why the MSM can't be trusted and needs to be done away with.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
What are you talking about? Trump live tweeted this mornings fox and friends and billo dogpiled onto trump's thing with the widow going WHERES THE PROOF LIEBERAL MEDIA

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Keeshhound posted:

Apparantly they're trying to spin Weinstein as an example of why the MSM can't be trusted and needs to be done away with.

Funnily enough they didn't say the same thing about Roger Ailes :thunk:

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich
pretty great that fox tried to label bill clinton a child molester and even tried to get some traction with pizzagate but the only sex scandal they can pin on the left is the one broke by the new york times that the left is already super pissed about

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Kinsky posted:

Well I'm glad you were at least polite enough to smugly condescend to her while remaining comfortable in the superiority of your intellect.

Jurgan fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Oct 18, 2017

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ceiling fan posted:

I'm actually curious about that. What kind of story is Fox ect. trying to stir up to try and avoid talking about Trump today?

Edit: Rats. I didn't bookmark the link for the frontpage image grab site. Doesn't help I can't remember how to spell the author's user name.

https://xibanya.github.io/frontpages/

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Kinsky posted:

Have you never been outside of a message board echo chamber in your life? How insulated are you to correlate opinions you think are lovely with literal insanity? How retarded are you to think they deserve death as a result?

Your gimmick is bad and you should feel bad.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

boner confessor posted:

Looks like some garbage leaked from FYD or whatnot. Maybe he's practicing counting coup, so when he gets probated/banned he can go back and proudly declare he stood up to the libs or whatnot.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Any hot takes on the soldier who went crazy in Portland or is that kind of racism so normal in Oregon that nobody cares?

Dr. Arbitrary
Mar 15, 2006

Bleak Gremlin
Are you guys familiar with Turning Point and Charlie Kirk?
I have an acquaintance who is scheduled to debate him and I worry that he's going to get trounced by a guy who makes a living by dishonestly presenting information in a manipulative way.

sweart gliwere
Jul 5, 2005

better to die an evil wizard,
than to live as a grand one.
Pillbug

Dr. Arbitrary posted:

Are you guys familiar with Turning Point and Charlie Kirk?
I have an acquaintance who is scheduled to debate him and I worry that he's going to get trounced by a guy who makes a living by dishonestly presenting information in a manipulative way.

Can't help you or him, but let me know if you learn anything about their public debate setups.

Like basic ground rules, gish-galloping banned or not, any fact checking, etc. I just assume they're all poo poo-shows now. Like the worst mix of high-school debate point-maximizers mixed with our idiot president.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Make sure you can still see the audience with the lighting and have a bunch of beefcakes in the front row to distract him.

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

BiggerBoat posted:

I was reading Yahoo comments (I know) and laughing at the conspiracy theories and the thing I kept asking is "what's the end game?" I mean if this were a set up or a false flag, why would they even do it like this? And who is they? Somehow Obama and Hillary are involved but unsure how or why.

Makes no loving sense.

Where my brain trips up on this one is: the (((globalists))) are the most evil people in the world, determined to make everyone their slaves, and for some reason it's in their interest to create hysteria from making people believe there's been a mass shooting. Why not just find a schizophrenic, pump him full of drugs, set him in front of a window and hand him a rifle? It seems like that would be much easier than secretly hiring a bunch of actors and paying off thousands of people to claim to be witnesses and using the media to manipulate everyone into believing a shooting has occurred. The (((globalists))) are too afraid or humane to actually kill people?

Lote
Aug 5, 2001

Place your bets

Jurgan posted:

Where my brain trips up on this one is: the (((globalists))) are the most evil people in the world, determined to make everyone their slaves, and for some reason it's in their interest to create hysteria from making people believe there's been a mass shooting. Why not just find a schizophrenic, pump him full of drugs, set him in front of a window and hand him a rifle? It seems like that would be much easier than secretly hiring a bunch of actors and paying off thousands of people to claim to be witnesses and using the media to manipulate everyone into believing a shooting has occurred. The (((globalists))) are too afraid or humane to actually kill people?

Why not just import a bunch of heroin and cocaine? Thats doing a pretty good job at plundering wealth from the middle and lower classes.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Because that would still involve guns killing innocent people, which we all know guns don't do.

Talmonis
Jun 24, 2012
The fairy of forgiveness has removed your red text.

Kinsky posted:

Truly the pie-eyed lunatics of the world are ill treated by those oppressive elites such as we. They surely deserve our full, rapt attention and consideration for their beliefs about our lifestyles and races.

Ceiling fan
Dec 26, 2003

I really like ceilings.
Dead Man’s Band

Thanks!

Oh, they are really off message today. It's all over the place. There's some Kapernick, some Clinton foundation, Drudge shouting WAR over the "condolences" call, some scary mug shots on one of today's mass shooting, trying to spin Sessions as the responsible adult in the room, and even O'Keefe. It's an all you can eat buffet!

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kinsky posted:

Actually you should dismiss them. Or do you also believe in Hillary Clinton's hologram Bengahzi 9/11 flat earth molemen?

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Lote posted:

The security guard is doing the right thing imo. What purpose will going on TV serve? He's going to draw attention to himself and he's going to have truthers harassing him, possibly confronting him with a gun. Plus whatever he says will be twisted around.

No, you see, he's bene disappeared and is buried in the Vegas desert or something. Or he's an illegal afraid of being deported so he went on the lam. Or he's in on it/the REAL shooter. It's insane.

Salacious Spy
May 29, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Different opinions like "Hillary Clinton is a witch."

Jurgan posted:

[timg]memes[/timg]

PJOmega posted:

Looks like some garbage leaked from FYD or whatnot. Maybe he's practicing counting coup, so when he gets probated/banned he can go back and proudly declare he stood up to the libs or whatnot.

Talmonis posted:

Truly the pie-eyed lunatics of the world are ill treated by those oppressive elites such as we. They surely deserve our full, rapt attention and consideration for their beliefs about our lifestyles and races.

fishmech posted:

Actually you should dismiss them. Or do you also believe in Hillary Clinton's hologram Bengahzi 9/11 flat earth molemen?

I initially came into this thread hoping to read some substantive discussion on America's current information dysfunction. What I found instead was a bunch of children bitching about how shocking and personally disturbing it is to be forced to live with people who believe and say weird poo poo. It's frustrating because it's blithely symptomatic of the exact problem I came here to discuss: that the democratization of information has, instead of revolutionizing self-governance, has caused people to segregate themselves based on what they choose to believe while attacking any person or piece of information that incidentally reveals itself to be outside of their ideological circle, to the point where encountering an opposing opinion has become personally offensive. The 2016 election was, of course, the ultimate expression of this. And the way that my posts are being interpreted as endorsing anything like conspiracy theories, racism, false equivalency, false centrism, or conservatism, merely because all of those ideas fall into the category of "poo poo we disagree with" is another. Of course I'm not gonna pretend like I made very calm and rational discussion posts; I came out shitposting, and was met with justifiable anger and annoyance. But the form those replies took is demonstrative.

I have not and will not not say that I'm redpilled, or that the truth is always in the middle, or that racists should be given equal consideration because the future of our society depends on it (incidentally, why are you so afraid of Wrong Opinions leading the credulous, sheep-like general population astray? How cynical are you that you don't trust people to draw their own conclusions without being protected from information you disapprove of?). What I do say is that information control is lovely, and there are many historical examples that prove it. One of Right Wing Media's great successes is the acknowledgement, however hypocritical, that information is always propagated in the service of the informer. That's not to say that everything you hear is somehow tied into a political conspiracy; the vast majority of information, I believe, is passed along simply due to the innocent desire to inform. However, the more centralized the mechanism for dispersing information, the more likely it is to ultimately be co-opted by somebody with an agenda, and the more damaging as a result, as the RWM themselves prove. However, the world that is no longer secure in the notion that something is verifiable fact as soon as it comes out of Walter Cronkite's mouth is chaotic and inscrutable. I don't know if our society, in its current incarnation, will adapt to this - America in particular seems to be possessed of the notion that we can all discern truth just by giving it a good look-over and matching against a web of other similarly vetted "facts" - but I do not believe stigmatizing people based on their standards of truth is the answer.

I do believe, however, that you should grow the gently caress up and stop clinging so tightly to your prejudices. Stop bitching about how everyone is stupid except for you and the people who agree with you. Stop floating fantasies about purging the mouth-breathers. Find the humility to keep yourself from asserting that all brokebrains deserve to be reformatted or ground into sausage. Of course you feel that you've arrived at your conclusions rationally; everyone does. Read any schizophrenic manifestos? Whether or not you feel correct is a poor indicator of whether or not you are correct.

The real and difficult question at the heart of this matter is not what to do with the uninformed, but how we as a society can agree on a reasonable standard of truth and organize around it in order to pare down some of the chaos that's entered our national discourse.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Kinsky posted:

I initially came into this thread hoping to read some substantive discussion on America's current information dysfunction. What I found instead was a bunch of children bitching about how shocking and personally disturbing it is to be forced to live with people who believe and say weird poo poo. It's frustrating because it's blithely symptomatic of the exact problem I came here to discuss: that the democratization of information has, instead of revolutionizing self-governance, has caused people to segregate themselves based on what they choose to believe while attacking any person or piece of information that incidentally reveals itself to be outside of their ideological circle, to the point where encountering an opposing opinion has become personally offensive. The 2016 election was, of course, the ultimate expression of this. And the way that my posts are being interpreted as endorsing anything like conspiracy theories, racism, false equivalency, false centrism, or conservatism, merely because all of those ideas fall into the category of "poo poo we disagree with" is another. Of course I'm not gonna pretend like I made very calm and rational discussion posts; I came out shitposting, and was met with justifiable anger and annoyance. But the form those replies took is demonstrative.

I have not and will not not say that I'm redpilled, or that the truth is always in the middle, or that racists should be given equal consideration because the future of our society depends on it (incidentally, why are you so afraid of Wrong Opinions leading the credulous, sheep-like general population astray? How cynical are you that you don't trust people to draw their own conclusions without being protected from information you disapprove of?). What I do say is that information control is lovely, and there are many historical examples that prove it. One of Right Wing Media's great successes is the acknowledgement, however hypocritical, that information is always propagated in the service of the informer. That's not to say that everything you hear is somehow tied into a political conspiracy; the vast majority of information, I believe, is passed along simply due to the innocent desire to inform. However, the more centralized the mechanism for dispersing information, the more likely it is to ultimately be co-opted by somebody with an agenda, and the more damaging as a result, as the RWM themselves prove. However, the world that is no longer secure in the notion that something is verifiable fact as soon as it comes out of Walter Cronkite's mouth is chaotic and inscrutable. I don't know if our society, in its current incarnation, will adapt to this - America in particular seems to be possessed of the notion that we can all discern truth just by giving it a good look-over and matching against a web of other similarly vetted "facts" - but I do not believe stigmatizing people based on their standards of truth is the answer.

I do believe, however, that you should grow the gently caress up and stop clinging so tightly to your prejudices. Stop bitching about how everyone is stupid except for you and the people who agree with you. Stop floating fantasies about purging the mouth-breathers. Find the humility to keep yourself from asserting that all brokebrains deserve to be reformatted or ground into sausage. Of course you feel that you've arrived at your conclusions rationally; everyone does. Read any schizophrenic manifestos? Whether or not you feel correct is a poor indicator of whether or not you are correct.

The real and difficult question at the heart of this matter is not what to do with the uninformed, but how we as a society can agree on a reasonable standard of truth and organize around it in order to pare down some of the chaos that's entered our national discourse.

So you're mad people made fun of a conspiracy theory you believed in once and have been bitter ever since. Got it.

Seriously you have to be really hosed up on something to get this offended over the fact that people don't respect people who believe Hillary Clinton is the actual devil.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Echo chambers are bad and generally we shouldn't dehumanize people for different ideas, provided they have some level of thought or defense behind them.

Hillary Clinton is not a baby killing witch and its ok to think a random person who starts ranting that she is to you while you're just trying to go about your business is a crazy person.

When its someone working at a restaurant you're patronizing I'd suggest that's a rare opportunity to justifiably ask to speak to a manager or refuse to pay.

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong
I mean somehow I don't think we'd get this rant out of this guy if the waitress was reporting that Justin Bieber was the devil and eating babies and did 9/11. We wouldn't have this guy demanding that we respect these beliefs.

But because the crazy rant is about Hillary Clinton we need to understand and respect the insanity? It's so dumb.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
You should mock right wingers because they are both stupid and vile. They deserve nothing but scorn.

What's to be learned from a so-called person who wants about Hillary being a witch? What insight can be gained?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Edit: Nah, not worth feeding the troll.

PJOmega fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Kinsky posted:

I initially came into this thread hoping to read some substantive discussion on America's current information dysfunction... I came out shitposting, and was met with justifiable anger and annoyance.

So you intentionally injected the thread with bullshit and then were surprised that it wasn't a serious, rational discussion. Be the change you wish to see in the world.