Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

This is definitely dumb even if I don't have as huge a problem with it as some others. The main problem for me is just that Overhaul is so loving boring, a dude with this power should have way more going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

TFRazorsaw posted:

I dunno. I'm at the same place I was last week. This isn't about Deku's moment of triumph, this is about a poor abused girl finding the power to stand up against her abuser and prove she's not a curse, or a monster, or a burden. Her helping Deku to power up is about showing that heroism is about more than just power, and that saving people is about more than just BEING there - Deku and Mirio not only came to Eri's rescue physically, they helped her to take her own agency back and stand up to Chisaki. It's a big part of the series' themes, that simply showing up and punching people until they stop being evil is only part of the job. It's not about Deku going "super saiyan", it's about showing how two heroes encouraged a girl to be her OWN hero too.

i could buy into this more if eri had even a single line of dialogue in the chapter, but she doesn't. and there is as much focus on her as the girls down in the pit.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
Yeah I have no idea how you can say it's about Eri when she's had five lines of dialogue total and really is just a motivator for the men in the arc to do things, or for the story to take turns that it wouldn't otherwise. That can be doable when we have a character we get to spend time with and connect to but Eri's barely been in this arc at all and has no personality beyond being a victim. She's a MacGuffin that cries a lot.

Like even if that's what this arc was actually about, it would still be executed in an unsatisfying way.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Blockhouse posted:

Yeah I have no idea how you can say it's about Eri when she's had five lines of dialogue total and really is just a motivator for the men in the arc to do things, or for the story to take turns that it wouldn't otherwise. That can be doable when we have a character we get to spend time with and connect to but Eri's barely been in this arc at all and has no personality beyond being a victim. She's a MacGuffin that cries a lot.

Like even if that's what this arc was actually about, it would still be executed in an unsatisfying way.

You're right, it's totally inexcusable how hard every female character has been sidelined, especially Eri, who this should actually be about.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Blockhouse posted:

I don't think she is. I think that it's happening at all is profoundly loving lame and anti-climactic.

Here's Deku's big Super Saiyan-esque transformation moment! Brought about by an overpowered plot device and used against a lame villain with no personality or sense of being a threat at all!

Oh boy!

I really don't see this as "Deku's big Super Saiyan-esque transformation moment" since the only reason he'll be able to use 100% is because of Eri. His big Super Saiyan-esque moment will be when he can use it without a little girl strapped to his back.

I see this as more of a preview of what Deku might be capable of in the future.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Rhonne posted:

I really don't see this as "Deku's big Super Saiyan-esque transformation moment" since the only reason he'll be able to use 100% is because of Eri. His big Super Saiyan-esque moment will be when he can use it without a little girl strapped to his back.

I see this as more of a preview of what Deku might be capable of in the future.

So it's more like the false Super Saiyan state from the Lord Slug movie

which is appropriate because Overhaul is exactly as interesting as a D-tier DBZ movie villain

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I've kinda resigned myself to the girls never getting a really good fight because WSJ series seem to be dreadfully allergic to it on average and Hori seems unwilling to buck that trend.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I want Deku's costume to have a futuristic back pack and just carry Eri around everywhere from now on.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Them getting fights would be neat but I don't even really need that. I'd just like them to be at all present instead of disappearing for six months or whatever

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

dogsicle posted:

i don't think people are fixating on assumptions anymore, and are instead of the opinion that deku fighting at 100% cowl with a child strapped to his back is dumb. in an arc that has been incredibly overlong, and is now rushing haphazardly to a conclusion so we can all be free of it.

It's like we all forgot about Beelzebub...

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Also my biggest disappointment is that we burned up the really interesting plot point of Toga having Deku's blood on this.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Fabricated posted:

Also my biggest disappointment is that we burned up the really interesting plot point of Toga having Deku's blood on this.

Between that, Overhaul's powers, the debut of Full Cowl, and others this arc might as well be the Good Plot Point Bonfire

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

I mean, this fight could give her a chance to collect more if she wants.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal
What if this Deku is actually a clone from Twice? That explains the future vision, gets Eric out of being a crazy plot device and gives the villains a victory they need.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Rhonne posted:

I mean, this fight could give her a chance to collect more if she wants.

That would be dumb and repetitive. Burning the Deku blood here was an insane decision that affected pretty much nothing in the grand scheme and really bugs me, her just getting more would be even worse somehow.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The huge "oh poo poo" stinger for the license arc was Toga getting a drop of his blood. She literally kidnapped and possibly killed a girl and risked getting caught to... momentarily redirect everyone.

There were a million incredibly scary and awesome uses for it and this arc just burned that poo poo up.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
I'll maintain that my only problem with this arc is in the villains. I get that y'all want to see the girls fighting, but the whole tee-up of the arc was Mirio and Deku loving up, regretting it, and seeking to make it right. If they had trimmed all of the Kirishima and Sasuke fights, and replaced it with making Overhaul less of a jobber, that would have been preferable to anything else, with "nothing" being a close second.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Fabricated posted:

He said in an interview that he has the basic outline of the whole story laid out and that like a couple arcs back we were at the 20% mark.

eichirooda.txt

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Shere posted:

I'll maintain that my only problem with this arc is in the villains. I get that y'all want to see the girls fighting, but the whole tee-up of the arc was Mirio and Deku loving up, regretting it, and seeking to make it right. If they had trimmed all of the Kirishima and Sasuke fights, and replaced it with making Overhaul less of a jobber, that would have been preferable to anything else, with "nothing" being a close second.

Yeah. Even the Villain Alliances sections were odd and didn't make 100% sense. I think this arc could have used some trimming and make Overhaul more interesting instead of fleshing out Mirio's buddy that we haven't had enough time to really care about and Kirishima could have had his moment and back story somewhere else.

Now that Eri is 100% able to undo wounds on people I'm going to be curious how the story writes that she isn't taken to fix All Might immediately. It better be decent and not some dumb "I won't accept this because my time is past" nonsense.

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Where's Mei

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

She's dead, I'm sorry you had to find out here.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This arc in general has been too much of all the wrong stuff and not enough of the right stuff mixed with short chapters and illness related hiatus.

Girls get sidelined, Overhaul gets zero development really before we just kick his door down and it's final battle time, too much side-character poo poo, not enough explanation of what Eri is. Combined with burning up interesting plotlines.

The blood thing is so unbelievably dumb because it completely trashes that insanely great stinger that did a good job capping off the sort of uneven license arc that turned out pretty good all together. Like I'm legit salty about it.

Horikoshi completely, completely pissed away any indeterminable number of huge 1-2 page "This isn't really Midoriya" stingers that could quite literally make an entire arc and scare/hype the readerbase. NO ONE was safe so long as she had that blood, and now it doesn't matter anymore. Ya blew it Hori.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do we know that she already used up all of the blood she had?

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Rhonne posted:

She's dead, I'm sorry you had to find out here.

what theFuck

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Fabricated posted:

The blood thing is so unbelievably dumb because it completely trashes that insanely great stinger that did a good job capping off the sort of uneven license arc that turned out pretty good all together. Like I'm legit salty about it.

Horikoshi completely, completely pissed away any indeterminable number of huge 1-2 page "This isn't really Midoriya" stingers that could quite literally make an entire arc and scare/hype the readerbase. NO ONE was safe so long as she had that blood, and now it doesn't matter anymore. Ya blew it Hori.

this is pretty much you letting your imagination run away with you and getting mad when the story doesn't live up to it.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Rhonne posted:

Do we know that she already used up all of the blood she had?
It takes a cup to do a whole day according to Toga herself. She only had a single drop at the end of the license arc.

Elfgames posted:

this is pretty much you letting your imagination run away with you and getting mad when the story doesn't live up to it.
I don't have to imagine anything; almost anything else was a better use of his blood as a plot device.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Fabricated posted:

I've kinda resigned myself to the girls never getting a really good fight because WSJ series seem to be dreadfully allergic to it on average and Hori seems unwilling to buck that trend.

Honestly, he doesn't seem willing to buck any trends.

MHA has always been straight laced as shonen comes but it used to be very well done. As of late, it's been poorly done so it's just a poor shonen in the present. The quality of it in the past is why I have some hope he can turn it around and get it back on the rails of good shonen.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Bitching aside this was a rad spread.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah that was badass, especially with the fingers being the panel borders.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Eri is a traumatized kid, and honestly, for me, the last couple of chapters showing her backstory and it felt the narration and art were giving her words that Eri herself couldn't vocalize. I guess I was projecting my own interpretation of those events and expecting everyone else to see it the same way. So yeah, I didn't really see all sides of the discussion. Sorry guys :(

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Honestly, he doesn't seem willing to buck any trends.

MHA has always been straight laced as shonen comes but it used to be very well done. As of late, it's been poorly done so it's just a poor shonen in the present. The quality of it in the past is why I have some hope he can turn it around and get it back on the rails of good shonen.
Yeah. Hori did an exceptional job of setting the pins up in previous arcs and then knocking them down later to great effect.

He stumbled pretty badly taking advantage of his setups here. Mirio and co, the blood, eri, overhaul. You can SEE the more interesting directions he could have taken which is frustrating, but I guess that's better than being utterly confused as to wtf is going on or wondering what the point of an entire arc is or royally loving up a character's development,etc etc

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
From all the bouts of illness and chapters with art that just seemed unfinished, I think Horikoshi needs to take a break after this arc. Just, like...take a few weeks off to relax and unwind and not succumb to death by manga that so many manga writers seem to be forced to succumb to by the horrible business practices of their industry.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I will admit, it'd really suck if what happened to Bleach happened to MHA.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fabricated posted:

Yeah. Hori did an exceptional job of setting the pins up in previous arcs and then knocking them down later to great effect.

He stumbled pretty badly taking advantage of his setups here. Mirio and co, the blood, eri, overhaul. You can SEE the more interesting directions he could have taken which is frustrating, but I guess that's better than being utterly confused as to wtf is going on or wondering what the point of an entire arc is or royally loving up a character's development,etc etc

Dunno, it feels to me like he's picked a specific direction, one that resonates with people like TFRazorsaw, and is holding fast onto it and you're pissed because it's not the direction you want it to be.

Like, maybe this isn't about Deku or Toga or the girls.
Maybe this is about Eri.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Uhm. Please don't use me for a vehicle for arguments like that.

Their points are just as valid as mine.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
Right, that was rude of me. Sorry.

Anyways, it seems we've got a fundamental divergence between what the writer's trying to do and what the reader feels should be done, so :shrug:

I'm still feeling it, at least.

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
The only thing keeping Mirio's fight - and now Deku's - from being worthy payoff is Overhaul.

Eri is plenty empathetic and the angle of her finding agency in her own rescue is probably what resonates with me too. It's basically just like a repeat of when Deku fought Muscular for that kid's sake, except this time the kid is helping and the one getting kidnapped is Aizawa.

I just don't see how Overhaul avoids getting pancaked instantly here. At least Muscular came off as overwhelmingly powerful. Overhaul's power has the same issue all lethal abilities and weapons have in shounen - if he actually got to use it on someone, there wouldn't be a fight.

Solanumai fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 20, 2017

Rodenthar Drothman
May 14, 2013

I think I will continue
watching this twilight world
as long as time flows.

Tollymain posted:

midoriya's going super saiyan
I love how just like all might, his hair goes up when he's using the full one for all power :allears:

I don't really see as much reason to freak out at "how bad this arc is" or whatever - is it great? No, it's not living up to the rest of MHA as a whole, but is it the worst thing oh god why is this happening?
No. Not at all. It's just lackluster.
Yeah, Horikoshi should probably take a break for a week or two after this arc.

Aurora posted:

this arc would have been perfect if overhaul had just lost to mirio and mirio lost his quirk at the last second protecting eri
Basically this. The arc isn't great, would've been better if this had happened, but it's not mind-blowingly terrible.

As an aside:

rumble in the bunghole posted:

What if this Deku is actually a clone from Twice? That explains the future vision, gets Eric out of being a crazy plot device and gives the villains a victory they need.
Holy poo poo this would be amazing and now i want it to happen.

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
I don't particularly mind Overhaul, but he's not exactly Mr. Personality either. He reminds me of, like, King Cobra from Marvel Comics. Just your 100% standard supervillain head of a gang of similarly themed villains that exist to Have a Sinister Scheme and get beaten (but at what cost???). Except this group doesn't even have a Diamondback to make things interesting.

I do agree that this really is more Eri's arc. The flashy villain fights are making that hard to process, though.

It's more worrying to watch Horikoshi's storytelling degrade. His layouts are still very dynamic, and the action is still intense, but having to look at each page three times to figure out what all just happened is kind of a bummer. Also getting tired of people starting a sentence in their thoughts and never finishing them. "But if he -- maybe I can -- !!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brandfarlig
Nov 5, 2009

These colours don't run.

The worst part of this chapter was the Froppy fanart.