Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
The 10-24 isn't good just for landscapes either. I use mine for the majority of my social documentary stuff (when there's enough light for f/4) as well as some editorial shoots. I never thought I'd like a zoom that much as I've been a prime guy since forever but it's just that handy.

Edit: I'm editing a wedding right now and out of 544 pictures taken on my xpro2 348 of them were with the 10-24.

8th-snype fucked around with this message at 03:25 on Oct 17, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

You guys totally aren't helping. Now I want that lens over the other ultrawide, and it's significantly more expensive.

I'd still like the pancake for just walking around.

And I'd still like something more telephoto or with a bit of reach.

I'm in the planning stages of a trip to Denali and an Alaska cruise... Maybe I'll just use that as an excuse to get some lenses.

I guess the good thing is that these discounts are available for a while. Gives me time to mull it over and watch this thread for what others are buying.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

I really need to force myself not to buy anything and reading this all isn’t helping. I have all the lenses I need (except the 100-400 that I sold which I would like to buy again) and I want the 90 and 10-24 after reading this even though I have lenses that cover those focal lengths. I also want the 16-55 even though the 18-55 is perfectly good and I use primes more anyway but for some gigs that 16-55 sure would be useful. Ugh.

Edit: regarding the pancake, unless you really want to try to fit your camera into a medium large pocket instead of a large pocket I don’t see much use for it since the 24 and 35 options are better then the 28 in pretty much every way. Pancakes are cool and all but no aperture ring and being kind of a weird in between focal length equivalent is something I don’t think I would use very often. And the WR f2 lenses are so small as it is.

rio fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Oct 17, 2017

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc
I'd be much more interested in owning a 27 again if I didn't already have an x100f.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

what would i want to look out for if someone on my local craigslist is selling an x-pro2 for $900

rio
Mar 20, 2008

inferis posted:

what would i want to look out for if someone on my local craigslist is selling an x-pro2 for $900

The main thing I have wanted to know in the past when buying used was what kind of usage it has seen and a shutter count. Other than that just bring an sd card and use it before buying it to make sure everything works as expected.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

it was used professionally for wedding photography for 2 years

i also meant stuff like surprise issues that wouldn't be apparent with a 5 minute look over

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

inferis posted:

it was used professionally for wedding photography for 2 years

i also meant stuff like surprise issues that wouldn't be apparent with a 5 minute look over

Make sure the eyecup isn't loose. Check the shutter button to make sure its crisp feeling and not mushy. Otherwise don't worry I have well over 15k frames fired on my xpro2 with out a hiccup. You could also ask if it ever locks up in burst mode but that's a pretty rare issue.

red19fire
May 26, 2010

I've put ~70k across two XT2 bodies, they can definitely take a beating.

Check that the electric viewfinder pops up properly if you switch the viewfinder from OVF to EVF, and that the digital split prism pops up on manual focus. If the camera's been dropped that'll probably stick. And spin the diopter adjustment back and forth. That's probably the most delicate part of the camera.

Make sure the thumbwheels spin and push in correctly, and the joystick moves correctly. Bring a lens and make sure to check every menu item, it should take about 10-15 minutes.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
Lol if your xpro2 diopter still spins. I sugru'd mine down the week I bought it. The diopter adjustment is the only bad thing about that camera.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

Fuji kit lens forever!
Out of camera JPEG Velvia, wireless transmit to the iPhone, slight edits to contrast and dehaze in Lightroom mobile iOS, posted to Instagram. 5 minutes.

El Capitan by mannymal

BUT BUT YOU NEED FULL FRAME FOR LANDSCAPES :qq:

Splinter
Jul 4, 2003
Cowabunga!
Looks like rear end on my 20k display. Shouldn't have used a pleb camera.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Awesome picture.

Man, I need to get back to Yosemite. :sigh: If you haven't been, make plans and go. It's an amazing place.

Aargh
Sep 8, 2004

Animal posted:

Fuji kit lens forever!
Out of camera JPEG Velvia, wireless transmit to the iPhone, slight edits to contrast and dehaze in Lightroom mobile iOS, posted to Instagram. 5 minutes.

El Capitan by mannymal

BUT BUT YOU NEED FULL FRAME FOR LANDSCAPES :qq:

But how many likes* did you get

*Writer of this post is old and does not understand Instagram...

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE
Hey all! Sooo a few months back I bought a Canon 80D to get back into photography. It’s actually been quite a great camera but, honestly, I think I made a mistake going with DSLR as it’s just too much to lug around, especially on vacations.

I used the 80D all throughout a 2 week trip to Italy and I had a bunch of neck soreness and such, making me really not want to continue taking it out. Due to that, I’m kinda feeling the need to sell the 80D and go with a mirrorless for daily use and especially for travel.

I’m currently looking at the Fuji XT-2. How does this compare quality-wise to an 80D? What should I know before making a switch if I do? Thanks!

red19fire
May 26, 2010

InFlames235 posted:

Hey all! Sooo a few months back I bought a Canon 80D to get back into photography. It’s actually been quite a great camera but, honestly, I think I made a mistake going with DSLR as it’s just too much to lug around, especially on vacations.

I used the 80D all throughout a 2 week trip to Italy and I had a bunch of neck soreness and such, making me really not want to continue taking it out. Due to that, I’m kinda feeling the need to sell the 80D and go with a mirrorless for daily use and especially for travel.

I’m currently looking at the Fuji XT-2. How does this compare quality-wise to an 80D? What should I know before making a switch if I do? Thanks!

The XT2 is the flagship, pro camera. it's DSLR-like in its form factor. If you just want a light camera to pack in a bag, I'd say go with an x100t or f, or the xpro2 with the kit zoom lens or 23/2 (or 1.4). That's if you like the rangefinder style, too. The XT2 is perfectly serviceable in the same role, but I'd say most of the 'pro' features are probably overkill for most people.

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
Any X-T20 havers tried the Meike grip (https://www.amazon.com/Meike-Aluminum-Release-Bracket-Fujifilm/dp/B0759MTK61)? I'm not having real big grip issues currently but it might be nice to get next time I grab something off of Amazon.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
If anyone has been looking to try out DXO OpticsPro, looks like they're giving out free licenses until November 30th.

http://www.dxo.com/us/practicalphotography

InFlames235
Jan 13, 2004

LIKE THE WAVES IN THE OCEAN I WILL DIG IN YOUR FAT AND SEARCH FOR YOUR CLITORIS, BUT I WON'T SLAM WHALE

red19fire posted:

The XT2 is the flagship, pro camera. it's DSLR-like in its form factor. If you just want a light camera to pack in a bag, I'd say go with an x100t or f, or the xpro2 with the kit zoom lens or 23/2 (or 1.4). That's if you like the rangefinder style, too. The XT2 is perfectly serviceable in the same role, but I'd say most of the 'pro' features are probably overkill for most people.

What about the XT-20? I know it’s missing weather sealing and a couple other features but seems to pack very similar image quality to the XT-2 in a sub $1k package from what I’m seeing.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

InFlames235 posted:

It’s not as small as an X100 but it is still perfectly easy to bring around an X-T2 every day, particularly if you are used to a DSLR since it is smaller. Not as ridiculously small as some of the Sony mirrorless cameras but those start to feel weird because you still have large lenses to use sometimes and the balance with larger lenses and a tiny body is strange. I usually have on the battery grip because I don’t mind the size and like the ergonomics of having the grip on but if you leave it off and use a small lens then you easily have a top notch camera that is much smaller than what you would have with a dslr. Regarding it being overkill, maybe it is but if you want room to grow then that is enough camera to last you a very long time. I do use all of the features on mine but if I were just shooting for fun on vacations and had the money to spare I would still want it because it is a hell of a camera. It has one of the best electronic viewfinders out there too and that alone is a huge draw for me.

If you are concerned about the weight, look up the weight of your camera and lens and compare it to the X-T2 and whatever lens you would be using (without the grip or with the grip depending on if you anticipate using that). Also a good strap helps a ton - I use a BlackRapid shoulder sling. It is a very long shoulder strap where you can either clip it across your torso or just let it hang and it has a large cushioned pad at the top for your shoulder. Super comfortable and I wish I had used something like that before I switched to Fuji.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

I love my BlackRapid sling but hate the clip, is there a better replacement?

mAlfunkti0n
May 19, 2004
Fallen Rib

Kenny Logins posted:

Any X-T20 havers tried the Meike grip (https://www.amazon.com/Meike-Aluminum-Release-Bracket-Fujifilm/dp/B0759MTK61)? I'm not having real big grip issues currently but it might be nice to get next time I grab something off of Amazon.

Yup, I was the first review on Amazon. I like it .. not perfect, but I like it.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

InFlames235 posted:

What about the XT-20? I know it’s missing weather sealing and a couple other features but seems to pack very similar image quality to the XT-2 in a sub $1k package from what I’m seeing.

If size is your main concern look into the X-E3, it's the smallest xtrans III body that takes interchangeable lenses

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

Animal posted:

Peak Design Slide Sling.. I have the blue (Tallac Edition) one and it's super comfortable when I'm carrying anything from a DSLR to an analogue rangefinder. The bottom plate is Arca-Swiss compatible and, for smaller cameras, you can just hang the camera from the strap lugs and it's still in a comfortable place.

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

nexxai posted:

If anyone has been looking to try out DXO OpticsPro, looks like they're giving out free licenses until November 30th.

http://www.dxo.com/us/practicalphotography

Did that include the testing suite at all?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Animal posted:

What don’t you like about the clip? I clip it to the side of the camera where the strap you’ll usually go so I am not using it as intended but I find it more comfortable that way since I use the battery grip and don’t want a piece of metal poking out into my hand when I shoot vertical.

Animal
Apr 8, 2003

rio posted:

What don’t you like about the clip? I clip it to the side of the camera where the strap you’ll usually go so I am not using it as intended but I find it more comfortable that way since I use the battery grip and don’t want a piece of metal poking out into my hand when I shoot vertical.

I wish it had a simple carabiner so I could unclip my camera quickly instead of the securing mechanism and threaded lock. I know they are going for safety, but it’s too inconvenient so if I want to pass the camera to someone quickly or take it off my body for a quick difficult shot. It’s faster to just take off the whole sling than off than to open the lock, unscrew, clip off.

I can leave the lock open and the carabiner unscrewed but it really bothers the sperg in me

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Yup, I was the first review on Amazon. I like it .. not perfect, but I like it.
Cool, good to know as I think you in particular had grippy issues with the X-T20. It's not on sale in Canada so I might keep it as an Xmas gift option from the wife, and correspond with actually getting out of the house with it by then

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

rio posted:

You are putting all the stress on one strap lug for holding the camera and lens combo which sounds like a bad idea to me. If you dont like the bottom mounting of the blackrapid why don't you get a sling designed to go on the strap lugs?

rio
Mar 20, 2008

8th-snype posted:

You are putting all the stress on one strap lug for holding the camera and lens combo which sounds like a bad idea to me. If you dont like the bottom mounting of the blackrapid why don't you get a sling designed to go on the strap lugs?

I probably should but I have done this for a long time and have not seen any failures. Now that I sold the 100-400 my heaviest lens is the 50-140 but I usually have a prime on and I figured that it could handle it as light as that is. I am tempting fate but after having done it this long I would be surprised if anything bad happened.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc
A modern lug is most likely to fail catastrophically so you won't see a failure until your gear hits the ground. I mean it's your camera so do what you want but I'd never mount a modern gripped digital to a single point like that especially with a lens bigger than the smallest prime on it. I like slings but can't stand using the tripod screws for them so I have DSPTCH straps and a cheap climbing rope sling I bought on etsy.

Kaewan
May 29, 2008
Anyone here have hands on experience using a speed booster with vintage glass? I'm thinking of getting one but I hesitate to spend $500-ish on a high end when using cheap old glass. How does something like the Lens Turbo 2 compare to Metabones?

torgeaux
Dec 31, 2004
I serve...

8th-snype posted:

A modern lug is most likely to fail catastrophically so you won't see a failure until your gear hits the ground. I mean it's your camera so do what you want but I'd never mount a modern gripped digital to a single point like that especially with a lens bigger than the smallest prime on it. I like slings but can't stand using the tripod screws for them so I have DSPTCH straps and a cheap climbing rope sling I bought on etsy.

I use one lug on the body, one on the grip, and it hands from the side instead of the top, but on two lugs.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Kaewan posted:

Anyone here have hands on experience using a speed booster with vintage glass? I'm thinking of getting one but I hesitate to spend $500-ish on a high end when using cheap old glass. How does something like the Lens Turbo 2 compare to Metabones?

I think the metabones is probably way better regarding sharpness across the frame. I also didn't realise lens turbo 2 is only like $150 now. That's totally worth it, even if the edge sharpness is trash, just to get m42 portrait glass.

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe
Cross-post from /r/m43 but I'm too excited not to share here too:

NOTE: I apologize if this comes off as "shilly" or whatever. I have absolutely no relation to or knowledge of anyone who works at Olympus, my local camera dealer, or anyone in the photography industry whatsoever. They also have no idea (that I'm aware of) that I'm a moderator here, nor of any of the other personal facts I detail below.

One of my favourite sports radio hosts has a saying: "You should be held accountable for your losses, but you should also be held accountable for your wins". With the amount of complaining and general negativity that we deal with in our lives, I feel like telling people about the good things companies do is just as important about telling people about the bad stuff.

About 2 months ago, I was at a football game and had decided to bring my OM-D E-M5 Mark 1 with me to play around with. I used to take it to hockey games before they started clamping down on bringing cameras with detachable lenses in, but this was my first outdoor (and dusk) event I'd tried to shoot. About 20 minutes into the game, the shutter assembly locked itself down and wouldn't budge. I fiddled with it, trying to get it to unlock itself, but it was done. Dammit.

I took it to the local dealer to have it repaired and they sent it away to Olympus. To be honest, I wasn't super impressed that it took 3 weeks to even get a response from Olympus about what was wrong, but they finally got back to me with an estimate of $250, which would cover the new assembly and the labor.

Now I've been wanting an E-M5 Mark 2 for a while, but my wife is very sick (housebound, but helps out with the bookkeeping for my consulting business) and so the majority of our income goes toward her health. What I was hoping is that they were going to tell me the camera was unfixable, which would mean I would probably be able to convince my wife to buy the newer body. It would impact our finances some, but she really tries to make sure that I don't feel like my needs are going ignored and we'd try to find a way to make it work.

The news I just received from my dealer is the best of both worlds.

Even though I've had the camera for the better part of 4(?) years and it is way past the warranty' expiration date, Olympus sent a refurb E-M5 Mark 2 back and is only charging me the cost of the original quoted repairs, vs the approximately $800CAN full price that I'd otherwise be paying. That saves us $650 that can now go toward possible treatments for my wife.

All I can say is Thank you, Olympus. This is way more than you had to do, way more than you were obligated to do, but you made this photographer's (and his wife's) day. And possibly his year.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

drat dude that's awesome :toot:

and hope your wife's holding up alright

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

That's great news but

nexxai posted:

That saves us $650 that can now go toward possible treatments for my wife.
lol at this logic

nexxai
Jul 17, 2002

quack quack bjork
Fun Shoe

polyester concept posted:

lol at this logic

I may have phrased it poorly, but pretty much all of our disposable income goes towards trialling new meds (that almost never loving work and end up being a complete waste of money) but it means that the $650 she would have diverted from her "test new treatment" budget doesn't have to happen anymore.

Huxley
Oct 10, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Hey man, it's all right. You want to do everything for her, she wants to make sure you get done for a little bit, too. Isn't all that difficult to put together.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, I'm pretty sure the proper response to that post is "gently caress you."