Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I got a set of manfrotto 055xprob legs like 8 years ago. Built like a tank and about as heavy, paid around $150 for them.

But looking at the 055 line now, it looks like the price has gone wayyyyy up.

Looks like their 290 line is their cheapest line, never used them myself but based on the legs I do have I would assume they're pretty good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I have, what will probably turn out to be, a really basic question on enlargers. To set the stage, 4\I picked up an Optemus enlarger for free on Craigslist. It came with a 50mm lens. I do some shooting in both 35mm and 6x6 and I was just googling around reading that if I ever decided to print 6x6 I'd want something like an 80mm lens so I picked one up off eBay for next to nothing.

So my question is: I tried a 6x6 negative with my 50mm lens and 80mm lens. It doesn't seem like there is much difference other than how I focus the negative onto my paper easel. With the 80mm I get a clear picture, and with the 50mm I get about the same only I need to lower the head and adjust focus.

So obviously I don't know all the ins and outs but I'm curious if there's anything I'm missing regarding why 80mm is recommended for 6x6.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

Is there a generally recommended tripod to start with that doesn't cost multiple hundreds of dollars? The one that came with my camera feels super flimsy and isn't very stable so I kinda don't want to use it, but I know that it's generally a good idea to use one whenever possible.

Ideally looking for something in the $150 or under range, unless saving a little more means a huge jump in quality.

The MeFOTO stuff always seemed well liked on the budget end. Don’t go too cheap with your choice or you’ll just end up throwing it out and spending more money down the line anyway.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
The Manfrotto BeFree is a pretty good choice at that price range. It folds up small and well-made. There's a carbon one which is a bit more expensive if you need to save some weight over the standard aluminium issue.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
when buying tripods you can pick any two of the following:

- cheap
- stable
- light

if you buy a cheap + stable one it will be heavy and then you will end up buying an expensive light one
if you buy a cheap + light one it'll be unstable and you'll end up buying an expensive stable one

so basically just buy the stable and light one for not cheap right now and save money on not having to buy another tripod.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Get a vanguard tripod. They aren't as polished as more expensive options but they are solid and imo the best under 200 dollar buy around. This would be perfect Vanguard Alta Pro 263AT Aluminum Tripod Legs https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003BQ1D4C/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_-TA6zbKF2774K

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Usually some good stuff on local craigslists. Got my tripod for $60 and have had no issues.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

I bought a nice AmazonBasics 62" aluminum tripod with ball head but it looks like the price has doubled since I bought it. Picked mine up for $50CDN from amazon.ca and now they're like $100US on .com which is.. weird.

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics...onBasics+tripod

At $50 I have nothing but amazing things to say about it. For $100US I could probably do better.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Martytoof posted:

I have, what will probably turn out to be, a really basic question on enlargers. To set the stage, 4\I picked up an Optemus enlarger for free on Craigslist. It came with a 50mm lens. I do some shooting in both 35mm and 6x6 and I was just googling around reading that if I ever decided to print 6x6 I'd want something like an 80mm lens so I picked one up off eBay for next to nothing.

So my question is: I tried a 6x6 negative with my 50mm lens and 80mm lens. It doesn't seem like there is much difference other than how I focus the negative onto my paper easel. With the 80mm I get a clear picture, and with the 50mm I get about the same only I need to lower the head and adjust focus.

So obviously I don't know all the ins and outs but I'm curious if there's anything I'm missing regarding why 80mm is recommended for 6x6.

A longer lens will tend to have less vignetting and better image quality at the edges on larger formats, especially at wider apertures.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Well that makes perfect sense. Thanks!

Shrinking Universe
Sep 26, 2010
Muse sucks FYI

Ineptitude posted:

This is built from the ground up with cloud functionality in mind, so Lightroom Mobile is essentially redundant now (?)

I think Lightroom Mobile was basically the testbed for Lightroom CC (It didn't upload RAW from Desktop to Mobile, but it did upload RAW files from Mobile - Desktop, either DNG's from the phones own camera, or imported using wifi/SD card dongle).

In either case, the name of the mobile app has now changed to "Lightroom CC" but otherwise appears identical, without the need to download a new app.

It also still syncs with collections from Lightroom Classic in the way that it always has.

The whole thing kinda feels like what it would be like if Apple still had Aperture, as well as having Photos, and they all sync'd to the same cloud, with Photos being the "All or nothing" approach, and Aperture being the "Selective" approach.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
My grey-market DSLR came with a license for Corel PaintShop Pro.

Am I missing out on much functionality/ease of use by using it instead of LR?

I'm an amateur who has no interest in becoming a professional photographer, FWIW.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

svenkatesh posted:

I'm an amateur who has no interest in becoming a professional photographer, FWIW.

My girlfriend used it for a while before biting the Adobe subscription bullet. As an editing suite it covers most of your bases. It also does a few things, like composites, that Lr doesn't do (Lr sends you to Ps for those). I think the main thing you're missing from Lr is the file and workflow management.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Cross posting this from the My First DSLR Thread in hopes of some help:

Trying to use the Astrotracer function on my Pentax K50.

I can't seem to figure out how to get the long exposure feature working.

I set up the Astrotracer function on my K50, the GPS unit is working, I set it for a 30 second exposure...

But when I put it on the tripod outside and point it up, I click the button, and it just makes focusing noises, no picture.

I tested it inside, and it took a few tries to get it to do more than focus in and out, but it did eventually take a (blurry, overexposed) picture of my fridge.

I've never used it on Bulb mode before. Usually, it just takes a picture of whatever I point it at, but on this mode it seems to be not letting me force an exposure? Outside its just focusing, or trying, and not actually exposing.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer
I don't know anything about Pentax astrotracer settings, but autofocus is not going to work on the sky. You'll need to focus manually (usually at infinity) because there's not enough contrast for the autofocus to latch on to.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

Helen Highwater posted:

I don't know anything about Pentax astrotracer settings, but autofocus is not going to work on the sky. You'll need to focus manually (usually at infinity) because there's not enough contrast for the autofocus to latch on to.

Yeah, that ended up being the issue.

Now to pull these few shots I got into Lightroom to see how they actually look... Hard to get an idea of the quality of a starfield on the camera screen :(

e: Hey! They didn't turn out half bad!

Annath fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Oct 21, 2017

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

How long are the exposures?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Ineptitude posted:

Lightroom 6 will be the last standalone lightroom, ever
Lightroom CC as we knew it is renamed to "Lightroom Classic" but keeps the same featureset (and some new features like VASTLY improved performance)
An entirely new program, Lightroom CC, which is a cloud based software that works on a wide range of devices, was released. This is built from the ground up with cloud functionality in mind, so Lightroom Mobile is essentially redundant now (?)
Hope there aren't any plans to deprecate "Lightroom Classic" as soon the new one is feature complete. I can forgo this cloud poo poo. Not to mention I don't have enough upstream bandwidth to make this practical.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hope there aren't any plans to deprecate "Lightroom Classic" as soon the new one is feature complete. I can forgo this cloud poo poo. Not to mention I don't have enough upstream bandwidth to make this practical.

I don’t think they will provide updates for very long - maybe a year or two if they feel like it. I already subscribe and give them :10bux: but my big fear is that they have some online only mode like games have started doing. I don’t know if they are ballsy enough to do that since people need to edit while traveling or out on location but it would not surprise me if they made it like that eventually.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

VelociBacon posted:

How long are the exposures?

Those were about 30 seconds.

Annath fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Oct 21, 2017

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I don't mind a new Lightroom per-se, so long this cloud stuff is pure optional. I don't develop images on my tablet or smartphone.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The cloud poo poo is optional. Except for the stupid name change it's business as usual until some distant point in the future where they kill the product entirely.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, I mean the cloud poo poo in the new Lightroom not-Classic. I'm all for a new app, if it resolves the tons of performance issues, so long it doesn't force me to upload my stuff.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

svenkatesh posted:

Corel's answer to Lightroom is called AfterShot. Paintshop is their competitor with Photoshop. AfterShot has the functions like Lr for catalogues, rapid edits (crop, rotate, contrast, white balance, etc.), tagging photos, and so forth.

I don't like Adobe's all-subscription business model so I've been trying AfterShot for a little while. So far, I don't miss Lightroom.

svenkatesh
Sep 5, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

ExecuDork posted:

Corel's answer to Lightroom is called AfterShot. Paintshop is their competitor with Photoshop. AfterShot has the functions like Lr for catalogues, rapid edits (crop, rotate, contrast, white balance, etc.), tagging photos, and so forth.

I don't like Adobe's all-subscription business model so I've been trying AfterShot for a little while. So far, I don't miss Lightroom.

Thanks, I got an upgrade offer for PSP 2018 Ultimate which seems to offer AfterShot too. I think I'll pull the trigger.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost
I love the cloud sync stuff in Lightroom. It's great to do some quick review and basic cropping on my iPad from the comfort of my couch. Then I head back to my desktop for real developing. I also sync to my phone and look at the pictures that I want to post to Facebook/Instagram for final review because I figure that's how most people are going to see them anyways.

I really don't think I understand what the purpose of the desktop Lightroom CC client is though. The cloud sync stuff in Lightroom Classic works perfectly fine.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

Combat Pretzel posted:

No, I mean the cloud poo poo in the new Lightroom not-Classic. I'm all for a new app, if it resolves the tons of performance issues, so long it doesn't force me to upload my stuff.

The cloud stuff and having your photos in the cloud on Lightroom CC (the brand new software) is the default way, with storing them on your computer being "optional"

In Lightroom Classic (the software previously called Lightroom CC) stuff is stored on your pc.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

tk posted:

I really don't think I understand what the purpose of the desktop Lightroom CC client is though. The cloud sync stuff in Lightroom Classic works perfectly fine.
Personally, I don't want my stuff on the cloud for one, and for another, I have really lovely upload due to hanging on the rear end end of a DSL run in some rural town. I'm not fond of uploading 50MB per image on a new Lightroom app, whenever the classic version gets deprecated. And finally, I do not want to pay an additional fee for storage.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Yeah, gently caress that might actually make me change to other software if they force us to use cloud storage. Storage space is so cheap these days that it makes no sense to pay for storage space in the cloud and wait for upload and download times vs. how long it takes to read or write to a ssd.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

tk posted:

New Cloud is everything stored in the cloud, all the time. Even your RAW files. You need the new apps to access that stuff I believe.

Old Cloud is it only uploads what you tell it to and you can only sync a single catalog.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

This feels like Adobe is trying to create lock-in via deferred inconvenience. If you want to stop subscribing to new Lightroom CC, you have to get out of your way to pull the stuff out of the cloud, which may require some time and effort, depending on how long you've used the service and how much pictures you've shot.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

My Lightroom when I had a subscription could never upload to the cloud anyway and from trying to resolve the issue I know I'm not alone. Adobe software and their support is god awful if the stars don't align for you.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
Somehow I don't think cloud storage will be very useful to me and my 12TB of photos =/

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

dakana posted:

Somehow I don't think cloud storage will be very useful to me and my 12TB of photos =/

Just upload the good ones, that'll save you about 12TB.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Helen Highwater posted:

Just upload the good ones, that'll save you about 12TB.

Good lord did I ever tee that up

How will I make my bad photos good, though, unless I can put them in the cloud where the sliders are? I need to right-slide the sliders.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

dakana posted:

I'm sure they will be happy to offer you a customized business plan with all the space you need.

Just $100,000 per month.

tk
Dec 10, 2003

Nap Ghost

xzzy posted:

New Cloud is everything stored in the cloud, all the time. Even your RAW files. You need the new apps to access that stuff I believe.

Old Cloud is it only uploads what you tell it to and you can only sync a single catalog.

Sure, I get what it does. I just don’t understand why they chose to do it via a separate piece of software instead of something like an import to cloud or cloud catalog feature in the existing Lightroom. I feel like I’m almost the target audience for this kind of thing (already use cloud sync frequently, no bandwidth constraints while at home). But I don’t want to give up my full featured editing when on desktop (no tone curves is bizarre, especially considering the iOS version already has that), and I’m not paying an extra $10/month to get a reasonable amount of storage while maintaining access to a Classic.

I suppose it’s possible that they feel like they need to move away from a legacy code base and plan to bring CC up to speed feature wise. I don’t trust Adobe to do that before they deprecate Classic though. I also don’t trust them to completely manage/store my files (love the convenience of cloud sync, but I also want to maintain full offline/local access).

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

As for the "why" I think the new cloud app is designed to compete with other offerings that are out there, like google's offering. It's a weird push towards non-professional use but then this is the first iteration so maybe down the road it will be less gimpy.

Helen Highwater
Feb 19, 2014

And furthermore
Grimey Drawer

tk posted:

I suppose it’s possible that they feel like they need to move away from a legacy code base and plan to bring CC up to speed feature wise. I don’t trust Adobe to do that before they deprecate Classic though. I also don’t trust them to completely manage/store my files (love the convenience of cloud sync, but I also want to maintain full offline/local access).

This Adobe video says that they intend to 'reach feature parity across both products eventually' (skip to 3:50 if you don't want to listen to her annoying voice for the whole video).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Classic Lightroom cloud sync only uploads Smart Previews.

New Lightroom is the full RAW files.