Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

I just want a whole game's worth of Lissa trashing on the Fates siblings. Except Elise, she was cool, they can team up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Playing Sacred Stones for the first time.

I've heard the game was on the easier side so I've been playing on hard mode and haven't used the tower or skirmishes at all. It's been pretty smooth sailing so far - up until the ghost ship chapter, anyway. What a vicious level lol. Been trying it for a week and I haven't managed to get a consistent strategy yet. (I almost beat it once through a series of lucky crits but lost a character afterwards, painfully.) It's a really cool concept for a map, though, probably one of the most memorable stages in the first eight games (which are about all I've played).

I have to say I'm enjoying the game more than FE7 (less than 6 though), but probably only because FE7's default mode was too relaxed (and because I'm ignoring chunks of the game to keep what balance it has from being thrown off). Really looking forward to playing Path of Radiance after this on.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Playing Sacred Stones for the first time.

I've heard the game was on the easier side so I've been playing on hard mode and haven't used the tower or skirmishes at all. It's been pretty smooth sailing so far - up until the ghost ship chapter, anyway. What a vicious level lol. Been trying it for a week and I haven't managed to get a consistent strategy yet. (I almost beat it once through a series of lucky crits but lost a character afterwards, painfully.) It's a really cool concept for a map, though, probably one of the most memorable stages in the first eight games (which are about all I've played).

I have to say I'm enjoying the game more than FE7 (less than 6 though), but probably only because FE7's default mode was too relaxed (and because I'm ignoring chunks of the game to keep what balance it has from being thrown off). Really looking forward to playing Path of Radiance after this on.

It's tough, but torch staves are easily bought off the map screen if you have an old save and spamming them gives good exp and helps eliminate fog of war which could make your life easier.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Also, if you aren't using Duessel or Seth because of EXP stealing or whatever, they help a ton.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
seth's a good guy, please use him

much better then that nerd franz

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012
Yeah, I'm actually using both Seth and Duessel, and Moulder is liberally using the torch staff when he doesn't need to heal people. Still rough though. My current strategy is to try to push ahead into the second ship, getting everyone off the first ship as quickly as possible, while using my flying units to take out the mogalls before they descend on my main team and inevitably kill someone. The big problems are the boss squad (I can kill them if I leave Duessel and Seth on the first ship but I need them on the second to clear it) and the gargoyles who show up later in the chapter (they dick over the flying units).

I think I could probably actually beat the chapter by only deplying Ephraim, Seth, and Duessel (and loading them up with healing items) lol. I want to avoid compromising like that though.

Airspace
Nov 5, 2010
Listening to the soundtrack of Warriors, and dynasty-warrior-buttrock Alight is pretty great.

I think... I think Fates was worth it, just for this one song.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Tae posted:

Good god, who was the voice director for this game

Like I'm pretty sure that's still Mela Lee as Tiki....who has played Tiki before. And sounded nothing like that. :psyduck:

She sounds kinda like that in Heroes I think? Both Young and Adult Tiki are vaguely British, if that's what you mean.

Inflammatory
Apr 22, 2014

ChaosArgate posted:

She sounds kinda like that in Heroes I think? Both Young and Adult Tiki are vaguely British, if that's what you mean.

it seems like she slips in and out of it though, which might be a consequence of going from short voiceclips to full conversations, but still.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Yeah, I'm actually using both Seth and Duessel, and Moulder is liberally using the torch staff when he doesn't need to heal people. Still rough though. My current strategy is to try to push ahead into the second ship, getting everyone off the first ship as quickly as possible, while using my flying units to take out the mogalls before they descend on my main team and inevitably kill someone. The big problems are the boss squad (I can kill them if I leave Duessel and Seth on the first ship but I need them on the second to clear it) and the gargoyles who show up later in the chapter (they dick over the flying units).

I think I could probably actually beat the chapter by only deplying Ephraim, Seth, and Duessel (and loading them up with healing items) lol. I want to avoid compromising like that though.
If you haven't promoted Moulder yet you could promote him to Bishop early for Slayer.

facepalmolive
Jan 29, 2009

Manatee Cannon posted:

odin and ophelia are good if you want magic berserkers

Well when you phrase it that way...

Zoran posted:

ODIN DARK

Aw shucks, and I thought we were special snowflakes for going straight left on chapter 8 too. I posted a bragpost about doing exactly that earlier in the thread. :shobon:

That's... a lot of investment into Odin/Ophelia. What I hadn't gotten a good sense of is how many seals (on average) you can afford to spend on a character. Like I wanted to make some convoluted plan to get four rallies onto flying utilitybot Shigure but that'd require burning like 5 seals on a single build, but I don't know how feasible that is or if it's worth the investment (not to mention lack of weapon skill in off-classes).

That was one of my complaints for FE7 as well. With weapon durability and going in blind, I actually don't know (1) when the next time I'd be able to buy a replacement weapon would be, and (2) when/how much my next burst of cash would be, so I'd never know how much cash to burn at the shops. I end up having to play with a wiki open at all times.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
I would say for your first run, just keep people in their default classes if possible because money is really tight in Conquest.

Having and forging Iron weapons +1 is possibly the best things outside of the legendary custom weapons, because you have Steel weapons without the debuffs or lesser accuracy.

There are also powerful weapons later on in the shop that are expensive as hell. Watch out for Hunter's Knife and Beastkiller, since they affect all beasts which include cavs and sky knights.

Here's a thing I always do: Give the Levin Sword to Corrin.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

facepalmolive posted:

That was one of my complaints for FE7 as well. With weapon durability and going in blind, I actually don't know (1) when the next time I'd be able to buy a replacement weapon would be, and (2) when/how much my next burst of cash would be, so I'd never know how much cash to burn at the shops. I end up having to play with a wiki open at all times.
With FE7, the best thing to do is just not worry about weapon durability. You wind up with way more iron and steel weapons than you'll ever need, and everything else is just a bonus that you use as you need it. And just burn cash as you get it. There's a few chapters that are clearly, obviously set up as chapters for you to burn your money in (port of badon, new resolve, preparations) what with having multiple shops around and the enemies dropping stuff for you to sell, so just burn all your cash in places like that and you're good.

More than that, its not like the shops upgrade constantly as you go on and you're expected to stop using iron/steel after a certain point. The only place in the game where you're actually able to buy high end weapons is preparations, and they give you like 40k gold at the start of that map.

And again, you wind up with way more iron weapons than you'll ever need, so winding up unable to actually fight isnt a concern at all.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Oct 23, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

I started playing the new fix/translation of Fire Emblem Girls (the Sacred Stones romhack that uses all the female GBA characters) and uh... it's real good. Guinivere is awesome, and I think Karla may be a better myrmidon than any in the real games with the possible exception of HM Rutger, especially relative to the game's weapon/stat rebalances.

E: Thief Mages are rad as gently caress too.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the best myrmidon is tekun from the last promise with his 44% defense growth and janky-rear end animations

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

You know on the one hand it's hilarious how Owain is obviously being held back for DLC

on the other it creates this hilarious sense that every cutscene involving him feels like it has characters forgetting he's even there

The scene spoiler for a years old plot twist where he and Lucina reveal who they are just has him step up and people look at him like "I forgot you were still here."

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I've been playing Warriors for a bit, and the mainline series game that comes out on this system is gonna be beautiful

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Carlosologist posted:

I've been playing Warriors for a bit, and the mainline series game that comes out on this system is gonna be beautiful

I didn't think of that! I'm excited now.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

literally all we know about fe switch is the devs hyping up how good itll look (and also that its a switch game) so yeah, id hope so

but fates looked incredible for the 3ds so it probably will look really good

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they've gotten a lot better at 3d models since por so I'm sure their next game will look good

well ok it'll look good so long as they don't uck up the visual style again like they did with shadow dragon. can't imagine they'd do that tho after how that went down

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

I really hope they keep the amiibo support where you get Ike/Marth/Lucina/Robin/Corrin as units when you use their amiibos

And that you can also summon Chrom, Tiki, Alm, and Celica with their amiibos

They'd all looked fantastic in the new game, I bet

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I hope they do that and also let me support the amiibos

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
i like the models in FEW pretty much wholesale except Camilla somehow looks even more like her boobs are ponderous and in the way

her back must be killing her

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

The Shortest Path posted:

I started playing the new fix/translation of Fire Emblem Girls (the Sacred Stones romhack that uses all the female GBA characters) and uh... it's real good. Guinivere is awesome, and I think Karla may be a better myrmidon than any in the real games with the possible exception of HM Rutger, especially relative to the game's weapon/stat rebalances.

E: Thief Mages are rad as gently caress too.

Link pls

(To add to my backlog of FE hacks I will probably never play (jesus christ i haven't even cleared path #1 of three in fates and my save is at 70+ hours how will I ever play any other FE game ever again))

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I just unlocked Lyn and she might be too fast

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
So I got linked this Pastebin which is a translation of typical japanese feelings on FE games from one of their wiki's

https://pastebin.com/ctjupY2G

Just in case people are curious about how they feel about the games

quote:

Side info
The source for all of these is https://www26.atwiki.jp/gcmatome/pages/333.html
It's a fairly popular wiki where Japanese fans try to objectively list the features, good points, and bad points of a work - it doesn't represent every Japanese person obviously, but it's the best resource we have for getting an idea of what they think of these games.

They generally think these are good:
FE1, FE3, FE4, FE6, FE7, FE9, FE12, FE15, TMS
They have mixed opinions on:
FE2, FE5, FE8, FE11, FE13, FE14
And they think these are of questionable quality:
FE10

As well, in regards to sales in Japan, the games go, from best-selling to worst-selling:
FE3, FE4, FE13, FE14, FE6, FE1, FE2, FE8, FE7, FE11, FE12, FE5, FE15, FE10, FE9, TMS.

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

Fire Emblem 15 is Shadows of Valentia, right? They aren't seriously ranking the Switch game or anything?

I'm surprised TMS is up there. I heard it was divisive.

Lessail
Apr 1, 2011

:cry::cry:
tell me how vgk aren't playing like shit again
:cry::cry:
p.s. help my grapes are so sour!
Just learned to never try a battle that's more than five levels greater than you

Time to grind

Metis of the Chat Thread
Aug 1, 2014

help me i'm addicted to the fe4 arena

i'm never leaving this castle; sorry aideen

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
that pastebin suggests that sacred stones was easier in japan and like, how

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

TFRazorsaw posted:

Fire Emblem 15 is Shadows of Valentia, right? They aren't seriously ranking the Switch game or anything?

I'm surprised TMS is up there. I heard it was divisive.

Yes, because when you crack open SoV in the data it has FIREEMBLEM15 ther.

Like how FE6 has this

mandatory lesbian posted:

https://tcrf.net/Fire_Emblem:_The_Sacred_Stones/Regional_Differences

Space Flower
Sep 10, 2014

by Games Forum

mandatory lesbian posted:

my biggest fe8 jp memory is riev is the raid boss of the chapter where you fight a massive zombefied dragon, with like five of his stats glowing green at max

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
holy poo poo lute's magic growth was even better

i mean she still maxes magic in like, all my playthroughs but still, dang

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

like that pastebin says fe10 also had a lot of minor complaints in jp that made it noticeably worse

like 80% of their complaints are fixed in the na version, so i imagine it'd be in the ambivalent section if they had our version

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

Endorph posted:

like that pastebin says fe10 also had a lot of minor complaints in jp that made it noticeably worse

like 80% of their complaints are fixed in the na version, so i imagine it'd be in the ambivalent section if they had our version

Really?

quote:

>Micaiah starts out as the main character but Ike steals the role after the third chapter
>Micaiah's motivations are difficult to understand - sometimes she's a pacifist, sometimes she's a pragmatist
>Sothe is supposed to be important but ends up completely useless in short order
>Support conversations are eliminated, character development is thin as a result
>Balance is completely ruined by you being given too many strong units - even if you never touch Ike, he can defeat the final boss with no issues
>Third-tier jobs are much too strong
>Enemies tend to be fairly weak and overcome you just with sheer numbers
>There are weapons that are strong with only negligible disadvantages
>Bonus EXP is easy to exploit
>Command system returns for the first time since Thracia, but is easy to exploit
>Maniac mode has been adjusted to just delete or weaken existing systems, giving you less EXP or making you check enemy ranges one-by-one
>Normal mode simplifies the story dramatically
>You can't get everything in your first playthrough
>Most maps have hidden items on them
>Neutral/Ally phases take long
>Freezes and bugs are common in initial release
1. One of your most commonly listed personal complaints.
2. Still the same in both versions
3. Still the same in both versions.
4. Still the same in both versions.
5. I believe your start's even easier in english than in Japanese because the Dawn Brigade got buffed levels
6. Same, and it's easier to unlock them too
7. Not actually sure enough to make a comment.
8. Absolutely still a thing.
10. Absolutely still a thing.
11. Absolutely still a thing.
12. Beyond being re-titled "Hard" still a thing.
13. The only script we get
14. This is still true
15. This is still true
16. I'm not sure if the enemy/ally phases are any longer/shorter in english
17. Was actually fixed.

So actually, it seems like they fixed 1% of the problems that wiki lists, and 99% of the game is still the same. I mean none of their complaints are about how the DB don't have unique weapons (added in english) or the missing promotion via levels system from FE9 (Added in english)

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

What's this about a simplified story in FE10? First time I remember hearing about it.

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.

Amppelix posted:

What's this about a simplified story in FE10? First time I remember hearing about it.

in the japanese version, hard and maniac mode had an extended script. it was completely excised for the international release (tbf it's a ton of extra stuff)

http://amielleon.tumblr.com/tagged/ammie+liveblogs+fe10+extended/chrono someone translated everything that shows up there in this tag

Jerry Manderbilt fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Oct 23, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Amppelix posted:

Link pls

(To add to my backlog of FE hacks I will probably never play (jesus christ i haven't even cleared path #1 of three in fates and my save is at 70+ hours how will I ever play any other FE game ever again))

http://feuniverse.us/t/midori-girls-english-patches-and-fixes/2516

Here you go. You have to use a UPS patcher (https://www.romhacking.net/utilities/519/) to apply that file to a !!!JAPANESE!!! version of the game. That bit is very important.

FE Midori is supposedly also good (it comes in the pack) but I haven't gotten around to it yet. It's also really fuckin rad to be able to put these on my cfw 3ds.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

quote:

.6. Same, and it's easier to unlock them too

Correct my understanding if I am wrong. Weren't the Third Tier classes in the Japan FE10 locked behind a limited supply of items rather than being something you could do by natural leveling?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Bloodly posted:

Correct my understanding if I am wrong. Weren't the Third Tier classes in the Japan FE10 locked behind a limited supply of items rather than being something you could do by natural leveling?

Fairly sure you're right.
Man can you imagine having to carefully plan and prioritize what units you're taking to the endgame due to limited resources instead of proMOTING EVERYONE EVERYONE IS A GOD AND GODDESS OF BLADE AND ARCANE KNOWLEDGE NOTHING WILL SURVIVE OUR WRATH NOT EVEN THE GODDESS OF ALL CREATION HERSELF