Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

I love his next video talking about getting hosed by YouTube's 'flag as inappropriate' algorithm, which basically blocks him out of video revenue from the initial spike of views from subscribers. So he basically told his viewers to use adblock because he doesn't care about the .02 cents per ad viewed, and is releasing stuff early to patreon subscribers instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

OSU_Matthew posted:

I love his next video talking about getting hosed by YouTube's 'flag as inappropriate' algorithm, which basically blocks him out of video revenue from the initial spike of views from subscribers. So he basically told his viewers to use adblock because he doesn't care about the .02 cents per ad viewed, and is releasing stuff early to patreon subscribers instead.

Seems to be working for him! https://graphtreon.com/creator/AvE

Tres Burritos
Sep 3, 2009

After I saw that video I became a patron, dude makes good content.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qimspMXVUI&t=1538s

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Looking for a cordless drill, tired of borrowing my dads. He's got a DeWalt. I'm not going to become a contractor or anything I just want something good for my little hobbles around the house, my small derringer sized hobby one isn't powerful enough for a lot of stuff. Suggestions? Found a good deal on a Black & Decker, are they any good or if I buy that will I become a raving derelict?

codo27 fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Oct 26, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Makita is doing a deal right now where you can buy a two-pack of batteries and a charger for $250, and get two tools free. Makita's excellent quality, moreso than you probably need, but the tools will be reliable and last a long time. And besides, you need a circular saw, or a weedwhacker, or a sawzall, or something in addition to the drill, right? :v:

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
I've been very happy with the 12v Milwaukee range. Started with the drill/driver combo with 2 batteries and a charger, I've since bough the circular saw and the jigsaw.

Hubis
May 18, 2003

Boy, I wish we had one of those doomsday machines...

codo27 posted:

Looking for a cordless drill, tired of borrowing my dads. He's got a DeWalt. I'm not going to become a contractor or anything I just want something good for my little hobbles around the house, my small derringer sized hobby one isn't powerful enough for a lot of stuff. Suggestions? Found a good deal on a Black & Decker, are they any good or if I buy that will I become a raving derelict?

My $0.02
Makita, Milwaukee, or DeWalt if you want something "reputable". DeWalt will probably be a little bit more expensive. All of them have fairly varied lines, so if you "buy into" the battery system you should be able to cover all your possible cordless needs.

For just drilling holes/driving screws, a 12v would be sufficient (and in fact possible preferable as it will be lighter and much easier to manage). Consider 18v if:

1) You plan on doing a lot of extended drilling (actual renovation projects versus "odd jobs around the house") or heavy duty jobs (putting anchors in a cinderblock basement wall, drilling out bolt holes in a 4x4 PT beam, etc).
2) If you want to go with a cordless circular saw. The 12v lines (at lease Milwaukee) have 12v versions, and I suspect they're great for very light jobs like ripping down small quantities of plywood; however, my experience with the 18v circ saw is that you wouldn't want to go any lower if you planned on doing any substantial amount of board ripping. Jigsaws might do quite well at 12v.
3) If there's some specific tool in 18v that you really want.

Consider 12v if:
1) You are mainly going to be drilling pilot holes and screwing together small jobs
2) You aren't really committed to the idea of going fully cordless. I like my 18v circ saw, but if you don't need the power of a 18v drill/driver then you could make a very good argument for a 12v cordless drill/driver and just using corded tools for everything else.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Makita is doing a deal right now where you can buy a two-pack of batteries and a charger for $250, and get two tools free. Makita's excellent quality, moreso than you probably need, but the tools will be reliable and last a long time. And besides, you need a circular saw, or a weedwhacker, or a sawzall, or something in addition to the drill, right? :v:

Unfortunately the trimmer's not part of the deal.

After clicking that link, you have to make sure to select the "Makita Starter Kit Promotion" tab on the top.

The tools that are part of the deal are:
Two impact drivers
Two driver/drills
Two hammer driver/drills (the term "hammer" applies loosely to cordless tools.)
An angle grinder
An orbital sander
A circular saw
A reciprocating saw

The difference between the blue and black versions of the drivers and drills is mostly size and weight, I think, with the black ones being slightly smaller/lighter than their blue counter-parts.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

I definitely understand the value of buying quality but in this case, like I said, not about to start taking on big jobs. I'd like to learn, my dad is a master and thus when I need something big, he helps and has his own tools. I've done a lot of stuff with him and worked contract jobs with him when I've been in between jobs myself but I'm not ready to go take on anything substantial without guidance. I was just about to put up a guitar hanger for example, and I ended up just using a screw driver. But I'm finding since I bought my house I'm needing more tools more often. This is what I'm looking at. Too much else I want/need right now to go in the realm of $200 even if its gonna be a lot better.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

codo27 posted:

Found a good deal on a Black & Decker, are they any good or if I buy that will I become a raving derelict?

I know DeWalt and B&D are owned by the same parent but man the B&D labeled stuff is dog poo poo imo.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

codo27 posted:

I definitely understand the value of buying quality but in this case, like I said, not about to start taking on big jobs. I'd like to learn, my dad is a master and thus when I need something big, he helps and has his own tools. I've done a lot of stuff with him and worked contract jobs with him when I've been in between jobs myself but I'm not ready to go take on anything substantial without guidance. I was just about to put up a guitar hanger for example, and I ended up just using a screw driver. But I'm finding since I bought my house I'm needing more tools more often. This is what I'm looking at. Too much else I want/need right now to go in the realm of $200 even if its gonna be a lot better.

You get the Makita and you'll be the dad, your dad will be borrowing it from you. However.....I've heard that Sears actually have the longest battery life. Do you even have Sears in Canadiastan? Ryobi are somewhere below Makita, but generally more affordable and multi-tool optional.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

Sears just went under. The funny thing is dad has 2 DeWalts and I asked for one but he said something about wanting the spare battery. I guess I could just buy another...wait...by the sweet adorable jesus, are batteries really loving $80 a pop for that stuff?

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

codo27 posted:

Sears just went under. The funny thing is dad has 2 DeWalts and I asked for one but he said something about wanting the spare battery. I guess I could just buy another...wait...by the sweet adorable jesus, are batteries really loving $80 a pop for that stuff?

Yeah, and gently caress DeWalt, I'll never buy another cordless from them again for exactly that reason<-- me 15 years ago.

iForge
Oct 28, 2010

Apple's new "iBlacksmith Suite: Professional Edition" features the iForge, iAnvil, and the iHammer.
My milwaukee 18v set is probably 5 years old with almost daily use and the batteries hold a charge like new. Ymmv

sharkytm
Oct 9, 2003

Ba

By

Sharkytm doot doo do doot do doo

Fallen Rib

iForge posted:

My milwaukee 18v set is probably 5 years old with almost daily use and the batteries hold a charge like new. Ymmv

Ditto with my Makita gear. The first two batteries were a wedding present in 2009, and they still work about 75% as well as new.

uwaeve
Oct 21, 2010

focus this time so i don't have to keep telling you idiots what happened
Lipstick Apathy
Buy Milwaukee, in my experience has good performance/features, reasonable price point, huge options for the battery system etc.

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
I have an M12 drill and driver, and an 18v Makita drill, driver, flashlight, and Sawzall (r) combo. I like the M12 stuff better because red is pretty, it's 'Mericun (all 'Mericun stuff is made in China), and it's small. As for Makita, I haven't yet used the reciprocating saw but the flashlight has proven amazingly useful, it's very bright for it's size. I skip the drill and driver because they are so much more bulky than the 12v Milwaukee gear.

If I were doing it all again, I would probably consider B&D or possibly even Hercules or Bauer. B&D sucks, but I hardly ever use my drills. I have a decade old $20 nicad B&D drill, it's a POS that doesn't even have a removable battery, and the cockroach just refuses to die, it's my beater drill. HF's Hercules and Bauer (DeWalt and Porter Cable factory rejects) are probably a bad decision, but the batteries are cheap, and HF is into coupons on single tools instead of combo packs. . . I think if you buy an individual DeWalt tool it ends up being more expensive than a Hercules, the DeWalt combo packs end up being as cheap as Hercules, but what do you do a few years down the road when you just want to add a circular saw and don't want to have to get a combo pack with another drill to get the best value?

TLDR; pick your favorite color from Milwaukee, DeWalt, or Makita. Or buy a cheap B&D or HF drill and get laughed out of the thread (seriously HF stuff is too new to know if it's crap or not. . .). Buy Milwaukee, it's the best shade of red, hides the blood when you gently caress up.

rawrr
Jul 28, 2007
If you want cheap, the Ikea 14.4V drills are supposedly not bad, in that they have lithium-ion batteries and variable speed for $50.

B-Nasty
May 25, 2005

Though I'm Team Red, I have to admit that the Ryobi stuff would probably suffice for my needs, and is quite a bit cheaper. Honestly, if price is a big factor, I'd look to the Ryobi line.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a great time to buy. There's frequent sales where you can pickup the drill/driver (not brushless) from Ryobi for $100 or Milwaukee/Dewalt for around $150, but they're higher now.

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

AvE's review of the Hercules tools actually nailed why they're a bad choice. Namely, they are being very deceptive on the battery and the value thereof. They claim it's a single 2.5Ah and compare it to the others that include two 1.5Ah batteries in a kit, but there's no way that Hercules battery is 2.5Ah. Once you account for buying another battery to make up for that deficiency the price gap to any Milwaukee / Makita / Ryobi becomes too small to justify buying a Horror Fright tool.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007
FWIW, my dad moved from a mix of dewalt and Milwaukee to ryobi because it's good enough quality to get the job done, but cheap enough to not be too upset when you run it over with the truck or leave it up in the woods for a few days. And they have a bewildering array of tools for their battery. Since they are a consumer grade brand, they really need to get creative to keep the dollars flowing.

I've got a gaggle of 12 year old dewalt 18v tools that have been absolute workhorses. I keep buying corded tools thinking I will use them for big projects, and they are dusty in the bottom of my tool cabinet because with the exception of cutting up a steel pergola with a sawzall metal blade, there has been nothing these can't handle.

Personally, I think if you just avoid buying rock bottom poo poo at Wal-Mart or harbor freight, you pretty much can't go wrong.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe
I bought a Masterforce impact driver and drill set from Menards this summer because they had a huge sale. From what I've read, they're made by Mikita. Since I'm just puttering around the house, they've been great. If you're not a heavy user, you might consider something like that.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Just btw, for the newbies, the battery voltages can be confusing due to marketing figures. 14.4v is better than 12v, but 20v is the same as 18v.

A lithium-ion battery like that used in these cordless tools has a variable output voltage in roughly the 3.0 to 4.2 volt range. When fully charged, you get 4.1 volts; discharged you get about 3. This is usually specified as a "nominal" 3.6 volt battery.

The 12 volt range tools are all using three lithium cells in series. Fully charged, that's 4.1v * 3 = 12.3 volts. 10.8v nominal. 12 volts is the largest round figure that they can use, so that's what gets specced.

The 14.4v tools are using four cells in series, using the nominal figure (3.6*4). Maximum voltage on a full charge is actually closer to 16.4v.

The 18v tools are 5-cell nominal figures (18 volts even). Ever notice how all companies with 20v tools call them "20V MAX", like making you think "MAX POWER" or whatever? It's actually also a cover-your-rear end move, because the batteries are only at 20 volts when they're right off the charger (4.1*5) and quickly drop to around 18 for most of the run (like all 5-cell tools do, including those sold as 18v).

tl;dr: there's no difference between 18v and 20v tools other than some slightly sleazy marketing

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

stealie72 posted:

I've got a gaggle of 12 year old dewalt 18v tools that have been absolute workhorses.

Same here and heads up, you can get an adapter to run those old “18v” form factor tools on the nice new “20v” form factor lipo packs. There are only one or two 18v tools that are incompatible for some reason.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

B-Nasty posted:

Though I'm Team Red, I have to admit that the Ryobi stuff would probably suffice for my needs, and is quite a bit cheaper. Honestly, if price is a big factor, I'd look to the Ryobi line.

Unfortunately, it doesn't look like a great time to buy. There's frequent sales where you can pickup the drill/driver (not brushless) from Ryobi for $100 or Milwaukee/Dewalt for around $150, but they're higher now.

Maybe wait until black Friday in a few weeks

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person

EvilBeard posted:

I bought a Masterforce impact driver and drill set from Menards this summer because they had a huge sale. From what I've read, they're made by Mikita. Since I'm just puttering around the house, they've been great. If you're not a heavy user, you might consider something like that.

They're a chinese off brand contracted by Menards. Nothing to do with Makita. Can't speak to the quality.

EvilBeard
Apr 24, 2003

Big Q's House of Pancakes

Fun Shoe

Rnr posted:

They're a chinese off brand contracted by Menards. Nothing to do with Makita. Can't speak to the quality.

From what I read, they're Maktec rebadged.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

EvilBeard posted:

From what I read, they're Maktec rebadged.

Maktec never made a cordless tool before Makita spun them off a few years ago

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
I was gonna chime in about the horror fraught tools might be a cheap option to consider even though they might change the batteries two weeks from now because who the gently caress knows with HF, but I just checked the Hercules line pricing... and holy gently caress it's the same as real loving battery tools like Makita or Milwaukee.

Unbelievable, who would ever buy that poo poo?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

There's a whole psychological phenomenon where once a store or brand gets associated with low prices, people will continue to shop there and believe they're getting the best deal regardless of what the reality is. Nobody bothers to look around and see if the other stores are cheaper. Brands can take advantage of this to raise prices without driving people off.

Sagebrush fucked around with this message at 21:45 on Oct 27, 2017

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002
Found this over at Reddit.

Rusty tools? Nope, chocolate.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

kid sinister posted:

That bolt in the front has prominent mould marks.

if it were hidden the collection would be more convincing.

Rnr
Sep 5, 2003

some sort of irredeemable trash person
Immersion ruined.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
I just want a wrench or two to eat.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

Platystemon posted:

That bolt in the front has prominent mould marks.

if it were hidden the collection would be more convincing.

You try making a chocolate die to thread it right.

Mr. Mambold
Feb 13, 2011

Aha. Nice post.

kid sinister posted:

That's some kind of Freudian dreamola poo poo there.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
I was recently loving *GIFTED* a DeWalt DW777 mitre saw. School me on saw blades for such a thing. It's 216mm diameter. When do I go high tooth count and when do I go low?

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal

bolind posted:

I was recently loving *GIFTED* a DeWalt DW777 mitre saw. School me on saw blades for such a thing. It's 216mm diameter. When do I go high tooth count and when do I go low?

High tooth is for materials like plywood, low too count is for making rougher cuts, or rip cuts with a table saw. Make sure you get a carbide tipped blade for better cuts and longevity.

Buy a Diablo crosscut/combination blade and you'll be happy. Or a Diablo high tooth count blade if you're doing trim and finish work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Do you want to spend $600 on a drill attachment and $150 per 20 fasteners? Then boy howdy have I got something for YOU:

https://i.imgur.com/9P9byxO.gifv

https://imgur.com/gallery/qzCh6

Kit: https://www.amazon.com/Invis-6100300-Mx2-Starter-Kit/dp/B00LEVLE0Y
Fasteners: https://www.amazon.com/INVIS-Mx2-Fasteners-20pack-standard/dp/B00LEW98Y2

It's super interesting from a "can we do it" point of view, being that it's a proximity-driven completely hidden fastener with an impact driver built in to each fastener. That's cool, no doubt. And the fact that it's reversible in spite of the completely-hidden factor, that's cool too. But, y'know, $150 for a 20 pack. Although I guess that's only $7.50 per fastener, I suppose it's not ENTIRELY out of whack with some of the other similarly-specced (holding force, reversibility, etc) fully-hidden options, and certainly nobody is going to take these apart without the special tool, so I guess there's that.