Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Henchman of Santa posted:

Yeah but like

https://twitter.com/BreakTheHuddle/status/922478925162401793

At least try to be a little less villainous about it

:capitalism:

Seriously though I will never subscribe to the Athletic because they don't cover my favorite teams, I already subscribe to the Washington Post, and I still think bloggers do a good enough job to fill in the gaps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
I like the Athletic, because I love the writers they hired for the teams I care about.

Durkin and Fishbain are great for the Bears, Noh is great on the Bulls(though yeah the Bloggers who cover the Bulls are spectacular), they brought in Mayberry from OKC, and he seems fine so far but no real opinion. Sahadev Sharma's writing on the Cubs is so loving good.

But yeah if they don't cover your team it's probably not a great idea to subscribe to them.

Also look at all upper levels of startups, and companies in general and you are likely to have narcissistic grandstanding assholes.

Like you have loving silicon valley start ups talking comical poo poo about closing every bodega, by putting out what is essentially a fancy vending machine, that uses a phone app.

Also rich people always talked like that, now it's just heard more. You had TV people talking poo poo about print, or radio, and you've always had Internet assholes talking poo poo about TV and non-internet based things.

Subscription based sites is going to be the only way any type of media survives going forward. Unless you can pull in just a completely massive amount of hits to video ads(which is real annoying, as I thought we moved past the auto playing video/flash ad, but it's coming back and just as annoying).

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
It being par for the course doesn't make it less funny when trust-fund kids holler about how their invincible startups will never die

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UoUaJFH252w

Coco13
Jun 6, 2004

My advice to you is to start drinking heavily.
Link to the NYTimes piece on the Athletic.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together
"Let's set money on fire until our competition dies or gives up" is totally healthy, sustainable, and not at all ultimately terrifying

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Wait, Kevin Draper went from being a self-righteous tool at Deadspin to writing for the goddamn New York Times? Talk about stepping up.

ShaneMacGowansTeeth
May 22, 2007

I think this is it... I think this is how it ends
Had to screenshot it but

Jackie D
May 27, 2009

Democracy is like a tambourine - not everyone can be trusted with it.

ElwoodCuse posted:

"Let's set money on fire until our competition dies or gives up" is totally healthy, sustainable, and not at all ultimately terrifying

Uber is an example to aspire to, not a cautionary tale

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

ElwoodCuse posted:

I'm not sure they're actually burning through that much cash. They said in the article that Toronto is already break even for them, and a lot of other cities are close to break even. Plus, I think they get their cash for the annual subscription up front, so that significantly helps with cash flow. I think The Athletic can survive because you only really need a couple of writers per team. Factor in an extra person here or there and you could run an entire sports department for a city with four teams and have like 10 people. It's not that much overhead.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

How many of their subscribers are going to renew, and at full price? I have been bombarded with "sign up now and get 30% off" ads. How are they going to make money long-term when newspapers can't and other websites have failed? What happens to the writers when the competition is dead and here come the pay cuts?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

ElwoodCuse posted:

How many of their subscribers are going to renew, and at full price? I have been bombarded with "sign up now and get 30% off" ads. How are they going to make money long-term when newspapers can't and other websites have failed? What happens to the writers when the competition is dead and here come the pay cuts?

If they can keep up the quality the Chicago writers are at(imo anyway) people will renew. Also people might forget about it and accidentally renew(the vintage subscription trick) they make money by having subscriptions and not having the additional cost of printing paper and delivering them. Just paying writers (and administrators).

That last point is a valid one, the answer is unionizing. But who knows thats further down the line.

angrygodofjebus
Aug 25, 2005

Drink it up and hunker down
Yeah if the content across the board is as good as the Chicago section I don't see why people wouldn't renew, especially when it's still as cheap/cheaper than like ESPN Insider but with way more/better content.

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

angrygodofjebus posted:

I don't see why people wouldn't renew

Because people are cheap

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

If they were that cheap as to not want to pay for sports they wouldn't sign up in the first place

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

ShaneMacGowansTeeth posted:

Had to screenshot it but

Agreed

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

Dexo posted:

If they were that cheap as to not want to pay for sports they wouldn't sign up in the first place

There are discounts everywhere and can you read anything at all as a trial? People will gamble on it and then not be impressed when the cost goes up.

I will be stunned if their plan is anything but consolidate talent, kill competition, pray the biggest fish left buys us out before we run out of money.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
https://twitter.com/espnpr/status/922548379175063552

"drat, looks like people know Barstool is a terrible site for terrible people and we can't ignore it anymore."

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!

skaboomizzy posted:

"drat, looks like people know Barstool is a terrible site for terrible people and we can't ignore it anymore."

:laffo:

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I sort of appreciate the candor even if it was a bad idea to begin with

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

skaboomizzy posted:

morestuff posted:

I sort of appreciate the candor even if it was a bad idea to begin with

I guess but this has to be the most obvious "Man lies down with dogs, surprised by fleas" headline (not associated with the Republican party) I've seen in a long time. I wonder if they could have kept the show and just removed the barstool branding from it.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

It's kind of amazing how ESPN can turn every single situation into every side hating them in the end. How are they so bad at this?

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

And PFT and Big Cat's boss demanding the Barstool name be on the show cost them the gig. I didn't think they needed to get out before but now it seems like that guy is going to hold them back.

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

I really like the writers on The Athletic's Toronto site. I would prefer their management not spew tech bro disruption-speak but the idea that they are trying a model that actually leads to writers getting paid is still the most favourable.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

It was a dumb thing to say but the hand-wringing from sports media was comical. Most of these local papers are owned by billionaires who can hold their own in a business fight. This isn't some tech dude bros putting some poor small businessman under, their competition is people like Jeff Bezos, John Henry, Michael Ferro, and Carlos Slim.

Actions speak louder than words and as of now The Athletic is actually spending money on quality content.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Niwrad posted:

It was a dumb thing to say but the hand-wringing from sports media was comical. Most of these local papers are owned by billionaires who can hold their own in a business fight. This isn't some tech dude bros putting some poor small businessman under, their competition is people like Jeff Bezos, John Henry, Michael Ferro, and Carlos Slim.

Actions speak louder than words and as of now The Athletic is actually spending money on quality content.

I agree. There's nothing sacred about the newspaper format that wasn't sullied hundreds of years ago as they became engines for wealth generation

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

https://twitter.com/JasonLloydNBA/status/922569130196197376

https://twitter.com/ramonashelburne/status/922569639808286721

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Dexo posted:

That last point is a valid one, the answer is unionizing. But who knows thats further down the line.

I don't think unionizing keeps your company from going under.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Niwrad posted:

And PFT and Big Cat's boss demanding the Barstool name be on the show cost them the gig. I didn't think they needed to get out before but now it seems like that guy is going to hold them back.

Don't you think "get fired by ESPN" was probably on both of their bucket lists?

I can't imagine how lame you have to be to spend a career at ESPN and never be fired/disciplined. It would be like having a clean rap sheet on the Something Awful Forums.

General Dog fucked around with this message at 02:46 on Oct 24, 2017

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

General Dog posted:

I can't imagine how lame you have to be to spend a career at ESPN and never be fired/disciplined. It would be like having a clean rap sheet on the Something Awful Forums.

Bob Ley is not lame :mad:
(I can't imagine Bob Ley's ever been in trouble with espn management, but he also might've, I don't really know)

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I've never heard anything but good things about Bob as a person off camera.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Fanrag is going the way of Fox Sports and making the video pivot

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Say it ain't so, thing I've never heard of

Detroit_Dogg
Feb 2, 2008
Aaron Rodgers is gay and lame and oh please cum in me Aaron PLEASE I NEED IT OH STAFFORD YOUR COCK IS NOT WORTHY ONLY THE GAYEST RODGERS PRICK CAN SATISFY MY DESPERATE THROAT

Lockback posted:

I wonder if they could have kept the show and just removed the barstool branding from it.

There's no possible way Portnoy would have ever let that happen

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

https://twitter.com/PFTCommenter/status/922856145022316544

BWV
Feb 24, 2005

nowhere near as good as the fake 30 for 30s lebatard show does

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

Niwrad posted:

According to their latest podcast the name was originally supposed to just be Pardon My Take. Two weeks ago Dave Portnoy apparently pushed to change the name to Barstool Van Talk which PFTCommenter was against.

So sounds like Portnoy tried to pull some bullshit at the last second which ended up loving over everyone. What an rear end in a top hat. Hopefully this speeds up PFT’s exit.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

Adun posted:

According to their latest podcast the name was originally supposed to just be Pardon My Take. Two weeks ago Dave Portnoy apparently pushed to change the name to Barstool Van Talk which PFTCommenter was against.

So sounds like Portnoy tried to pull some bullshit at the last second which ended up loving over everyone. What an rear end in a top hat. Hopefully this speeds up PFT’s exit.

I think that was his whole intention. Do that, play the victim card that ESPN hates "freedom of speech", ???, profit off dipshit alt-right folks.

He feels like a discount Clay Travis. He knows if he plays his cards right he may be able to have his cake and eat it too, unlike Clay who is probably going to get in deep poo poo.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

gently caress Portnoy but he's got every right to want Barstool's name on what is ultimately Barstool's show.

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Springing it on ESPN with two weeks to go in a months long process though is super lovely.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I get that PFT is a popular dude but he hitched his wagon to Portnoy. It's not as if it's recent news that Portnoy is a dickhead who pulls dickhead moves.

Portnoy's not wrong when he's saying that you can't have it both ways. You're either attached to Barstool or you aren't.

DJExile fucked around with this message at 14:40 on Oct 25, 2017