Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
I didn't like Micaiah

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I like Micaiah but she would better be served by a) being more part of the story, even as much as an Ike fan I am and b) having one fewer special powers, because that's what fuels the initial "this is a Mary Sue" feeling. The future sight is the one I would take out because even the writers tried to write it out for half the game. Just make her a good tactician.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Micaiah is the Gohan of fire emblem

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I did.

Endorph posted:

she's likable for the ten or eleven chapters where she actually gets to be the main character of her game. she has interesting conflicts with the people around her, a reasonable motivation, and a unique perspective on the events of Path of Radiance. unfortunately then she gets 3 chapters in part 3 and is erased by yune in part 4, but she still has a few decent conversations with Naesala. Micaiah's a good character, straight-up, she's just very underutilized and basically stops existing 1/4th of the way through the game.

Those 3 chapters are very good though, as like melding together gameplay and story. Well maybe not the 1st chapter but the other two for sure. And even outside of them she has like interesting things going on (even if they get muddied by blood pact). I'd say it's just Act 4 where she stops really mattering.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

micaiah has some good lines but I don't like her (or the dawn brigade in general) much

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
My 100% accurate, entirely objective lord tier list, looking only at character and not stats

S tier
Celica
Sigurd
Hector
Ephraim
Ike (PoR)
Lucina
Anna

A tier
Leif
Lyn
Eirika
Chrom
Robin
Sharena

B tier
Alm
Marth (FE3/12)
Seliph
Eliwood
Alfonse

C tier
Marth (FE1/11)
Ike (RD)
Micaiah
Chris
Lianna

garbage tier
Roy
Corrin
Rowan

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

My 100% accurate, entirely objective lord tier list, looking only at character and not stats

S tier
Celica
Sigurd
Hector
Ephraim
Ike (PoR)
Lucina
Anna

A tier
Leif
Lyn
Eirika
Chrom
Robin
Sharena

B tier
Alm
Marth (FE3/12)
Seliph
Eliwood
Alfonse

C tier
Marth (FE1/11)
Ike (RD)
Micaiah
Chris
Lianna

garbage tier
Roy
Corrin
Rowan

Anna is not a Lord. :colbert:

also lol at ranking the Heroes/Warriors guys above anyone. Even Corrin and Roy.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Zore posted:

Anna is not a Lord. :colbert:

also lol at ranking the Heroes/Warriors guys above anyone. Even Corrin and Roy.

she is in Heroes

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Having a consistent personality that doesn't make me want to punch them puts them above Corrin at least

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

celica is pretty good but behaves so idiotically near the end of echoes that i couldn't ever put her in the s-tier.

most lords are boring imo! but i like micaiah so what do i know

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
yeah I waffled on A or S for celica until I remembered this

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

cheetah7071 posted:

she is in Heroes

She's like the Jeigan of Heroes; there to be part of the story and bounce off the Lords and also fill in an early axe-user.

If she counts as a Lord so should Seth, Marcus, Frederick etc.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

You can't destroy Anna for her skills, unfortunately. She literally will always be on your roster forever

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

cheetah7071 posted:

Alm likes cats though so please reconsider your list.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

cheetah7071 posted:

yeah I waffled on A or S for celica until I remembered this

i forgot this, s-rank reinstated.

Extra Tasty
Aug 5, 2014

in fire emblem, every character is a lord because i reset when anyone dies

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

imo just pretend the ending of echoes is like fe2 where jedah just pulls a giant comedy trapdoor lever and celica is fighting an army of demons for a month while alm catches up to her

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Celica's army taking damage as Alm explored the final dungeon was actually a really cool gameplay moment even if it in practice never mattered and I was sad to see it gone

Sir Ilpalazzo
Sep 4, 2012

Endorph posted:

edit: Also FE12 has some of the best map design in the series, some pretty good unit/enemy difficulty balance, and a decent subplot. The main plot's pretty bland and there are a bunch of random filler cavaliers and such that take away some of the shine from its unit balance, but it's still a good game. FE11's main issue, besides the obvious artstyle issues, is that its map design isnt great besides a few chapters. Wooden Cavalry is way worse than anything in Gaiden/Echoes.

FoolyCharged posted:

Basically FE12 did level design so solid, they made a pretty good escape map before that was even a real objective.
It also introduced player avatars as a unit allowing you to have one decently customized unit on the battlefield.
And most importantly of all:

Your avatar can wear an increasingly silly variety of hats throughout the game.

Shadow Dragon's map layouts were very faithful to FE1, to its detriment. FE3 did have solid levels (I wouldn't put it over FE5 or the GBA games though) - is FE12 a notable improvement on that or is it also very faithful to its source?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's faithful but with added paralogues and a 7-chapter prologue. FE3 book 2 just had solid maps to start with

e: basically the DS games in summary are just that a remake of a bad game is still a bad game but a remake of a good game is a good game

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Sir Ilpalazzo posted:

Shadow Dragon's map layouts were very faithful to FE1, to its detriment. FE3 did have solid levels (I wouldn't put it over FE5 or the GBA games though) - is FE12 a notable improvement on that or is it also very faithful to its source?
I'd put FE3's maps over a lot of FE6's, but yeah, FE12 mostly has the same maps as FE3. There's some new units and a bunch of new sidequests to recruit units that weren't in FE3 originally, plus some new recruits on the reused maps that change how you play them (at least if you care about getting everyone), but they do reuse the maps.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
It's been a while so I might just be gushing over how it has the best lunatic mode in the series imo. FE7 with a similarly-good highest difficulty would be godlike

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

The VA work in Warriors is pretty bad, but I find it amusing at how much the Awakening crew gets to dunk on the Fates royals; similarly, Chrom and Cordelia having a normal conversation is funny stuff too since Sumia doesn’t get a mention at all

Does it matter when I use the Master Seals? Or can I just use them at 15 and be awash in big numbers?

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Carlosologist posted:

The VA work in Warriors is pretty bad, but I find it amusing at how much the Awakening crew gets to dunk on the Fates royals; similarly, Chrom and Cordelia having a normal conversation is funny stuff too since Sumia doesn’t get a mention at all

Does it matter when I use the Master Seals? Or can I just use them at 15 and be awash in big numbers?

Yeah just promote whenever

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Carlosologist posted:

Promotion just unlocks badge slots for A rank weapons, 2 more moves and a bunch of further upgrades. Also a huge stat increase. Doesn't reset your level or anything.

Raserys
Aug 22, 2011

IT'S YA BOY
i hope the dlc characters get conversations between packs, cause man i want to see the owain/niles one

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Awakening walking back hard on making Sumia the canon mom is the biggest back-down I've seen from them

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Awakening walking back hard on making Sumia the canon mom is the biggest back-down I've seen from them

Yeah, I have the feeling they really wished they'd swapped Cordelia and Sumia's places in the story based on all the post-Awakening stuff.

I'm still slightly disappointed they ruled out a lot of the crazier Chrom pairings in Awakening. Chrom/Cherche or Chrom/Tharja would have been hilarious.

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Tae posted:

Which is a shame for me because I like Sumia and her being married to Chrom

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

I wonder how many people were upset when they realized Chrom/Miriel was impossible

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the entire point of cordelia's character is that she can't marry chrom tho, so iunno if she'd be as popular if she could

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SgtSteel91 posted:

Which is a shame for me because I like Sumia and her being married to Chrom

I think I've never done it despite replaying Awkening a bunch of times because I just bristle against the obviously pushed pairing.

Also because I like it when Cynthia is just kind of dim and not someone who literally believes a random bandit is her father for several months.

Endorph posted:

the entire point of cordelia's character is that she can't marry chrom tho, so iunno if she'd be as popular if she could

It didn't stop Tharja from being popular, and her Robin obsession is about as huge as Cordelia's Chrom thing :shrug:

Plus you could keep them permanently platonic but still give Cordelia the story focus Sumia gets.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Zore posted:

Yeah, I have the feeling they really wished they'd swapped Cordelia and Sumia's places in the story based on all the post-Awakening stuff.

I'm still slightly disappointed they ruled out a lot of the crazier Chrom pairings in Awakening. Chrom/Cherche or Chrom/Tharja would have been hilarious.

I wish Sumia had more options, more than Chrom having extra tbh. I’d still probably pair her with Chrom though because pega-pony princess and also I like that time she punched him.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
Cordelia would probably be somewhat more popular if there was some obscure and difficult sequence of events you could do to unlock her marrying Chrom.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So what was all the deals going on with Micaiah. Off the top of my head after not playing the game for a long long time she
Is half human half extremely rare beastman that essentially never breeds outside the species
Can heal people using her own life energy
Is functionally immortal
Is actually a super special queen above the current actual royalty
Has otherworldly beauty thanks to the aforementioned beorc/laguz union
Is beloved by everyone
Is a super special smartypants tactician
Can sing real pretty
Everyone loves her

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I wish Sumia had more options, more than Chrom having extra tbh. I’d still probably pair her with Chrom though because pega-pony princess and also I like that time she punched him.

Yeah, Sumia could have had some really good supports but she gets locked out of most of the male cast for no real reason.

Wanna see that Sumia/Virion or Sumia/Gregor support chain.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Cynthia mistaking a random bandit for her dad is funny and good imo.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Calaveron posted:

So what was all the deals going on with Micaiah. Off the top of my head after not playing the game for a long long time she
Is half human half extremely rare beastman that essentially never breeds outside the species
Can heal people using her own life energy
Is functionally immortal
Is actually a super special queen above the current actual royalty
Has otherworldly beauty thanks to the aforementioned beorc/laguz union
Is beloved by everyone
Is a super special smartypants tactician
Can sing real pretty
Everyone loves her

She has a disney princess animal companion and is the vessel for a god

I don't think it's actually the case that everyone loves her though

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Zore posted:

Also because I like it when Cynthia is just kind of dim and not someone who literally believes a random bandit is her father for several months.

I just imagine that Cynthia is younger than Lucina and too young to remember Chrom's face before he died

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Cynthia mistaking a random bandit for her dad is funny and good imo.

Still prefer Chrom's stuff with Inigo. Its hilarious even if his support with Olivia is still the weirdest part of the game.

Chrom works so well as his disappointed dad.