Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

asterioth posted:

drat, managed to put a small crack into the shield for the strike. I put the clear part in wrong and was taking the red piece off and managed to put just a little too much pressure one side and cracked it a bit. Any reccomendations to make it look better? It's not a massive crack luckly.

It's hard to tell how deep the crack is, putting in some tamiya extra thin plastic cement to seal the gap. If it's not cracked the whole way though, you may want to put in some putty, sand it down and then paint over it.

second option, make it look like battle damage :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.

Monaghan posted:

It's hard to tell how deep the crack is, putting in some tamiya extra thin plastic cement to seal the gap. If it's not cracked the whole way though, you may want to put in some putty, sand it down and then paint over it.

second option, make it look like battle damage :v:

It's all the way through. Prolly gonna do the thin + sanding. Would do battle damage but I havent weathered a kit before and I dont want to try it for the first time on a PG.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
If your broken shield experience is anything like mine, you will be the only one that notices and you will point it out to everyone so they understand how bad it is and they will say "oh"

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
I'm putting together a HG Crossbones kit because I like skulls and skeletons

I don't like the feet that come with the kit

can anyone suggest me some skeleton looking feet?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Dantalion has rather bony feet
http://www.dalong.net/review/ib/ibh38/ibh38_p.htm

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
I think my new favorite moment of building these kits has become "this entire sprue is for a bazooka as tall as the robot itself":

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
It's hard to make a casaba howitzer much smaller than a 20m tall robot. :v:

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

those are quite good I guess

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

END ME SCOOB posted:

I think my new favorite moment of building these kits has become "this entire sprue is for a bazooka as tall as the robot itself":

Try opening the box of an MG Psycho Zaku.

We have such sights to show you...

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Darth Walrus posted:

Try opening the box of an MG Psycho Zaku.

We have such sights to show you...

Indeed.

It's about a foot long.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING
Not gonna lie, that's going on my list for when I chop this backlog down some. I want to finish the smaller kits so I can justify opening up the PG I bought and all the room that's gonna take in progress.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Well, finished building the PG Strike. God drat do I love this kit. I'm gonna wait a bit before I detail/line t/start on the skygrasper and aile pack. I'd say it probably took around 15 hours to fully build this thing. Trying to decide if I want to order waterslides for it from ebay/samueldecal.

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer
Yep, that's me, the dumbass who should have just pulled the trigger on pre-ordering the Metal Build Arbalest, and now it's in order stop everywhere.

please plamo gods, let there be more in the works

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
https://www.gundamkitscollection.com/2017/10/hg-1144-action-zaku-kycilia-zabi.html

The Action Zaku has a model.

JBP
Feb 16, 2017

You've got to know, to understand,
Baby, take me by my hand,
I'll lead you to the promised land.
Is there a way to see what kits are coming out in the future? I'm looking online but can't find previews or anything like that. I'm making good progress on the MG 00 XN Raiser and have really enjoyed building it. The little details and the quality of the fit are pretty impressive. I'd like to build the Full Armour Gundam from Thunderbolt but I'm not sure about the Ver. Ka. I'm basically tossing up building a Ver Ka Full Armour or a Psycho Zaku 2.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

JBP posted:

Is there a way to see what kits are coming out in the future? I'm looking online but can't find previews or anything like that. I'm making good progress on the MG 00 XN Raiser and have really enjoyed building it. The little details and the quality of the fit are pretty impressive. I'd like to build the Full Armour Gundam from Thunderbolt but I'm not sure about the Ver. Ka. I'm basically tossing up building a Ver Ka Full Armour or a Psycho Zaku 2.

If you're going to do a MG FA Gundam do the Thunderbolt ver Ka. The older one sticks the armor on with double sided tape.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
HobbySearch has a coming-release database that is not super user-friendly, but it is comprehensive regarding new and reissued releases coming in the few months:

https://www.1999.co.jp/eng/list/releaselist/109

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Anyone have any reccomendations for waterslides for the PG Strike? Not sure to go with samueldecal or random ones from ebay.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The Origin Zaku mould is quickly becoming the High Grade equivalent of the 2.0 Master Grade frame.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

asterioth posted:

Anyone have any reccomendations for waterslides for the PG Strike? Not sure to go with samueldecal or random ones from ebay.

SD has a whole bunch of variety but he doesn't always sell 1:1 duplicates of Bandai sets so if you're looking for those then try eBay first.

Wouldn't hurt to check out his stock though, depending on what you're into. Probably easier to mail him about it.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

asterioth posted:

I got completely hosed over by a terrible set of waterslide decals for the pg strike on ebay. Be careful with online sellers.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

SD has a whole bunch of variety but he doesn't always sell 1:1 duplicates of Bandai sets so if you're looking for those then try eBay first.

Wouldn't hurt to check out his stock though, depending on what you're into. Probably easier to mail him about it.

Monaghan posted:

I got completely hosed over by a terrible set of waterslide decals for the pg strike on ebay. Be careful with online sellers.

yeah, only problem is theres no official PG waterslide.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Check out dl model decals. I can confirm they're good.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Speaking of the PG Strike anyone want a pre-built one? I did it for Christmas like a decade ago when I was 100% on for gunpla and I just don't have the room to display it or the time to paint it, and it's a shame for such a nice kit to be gathering dust in a box behind a wardrobe. I just checked it and it's still got the accessories (decals, lil' pilot-guy, sword, gun, shield), it's just dusty as poo poo.

PM me and I'll throw it over for cost of shipping (it's fine if you want me to ship to the US but it might be a bunch).

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
If it's not too much trouble could you find how much it would cost to ship to the east coast USA? If there's a goon more local to you who wants it that's cool though.

I dont have PM's but I do have a throwaway Gmail account I dont mind posting: Sargeivichi101@gmail.com

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Sure no problem, sent you a mail.

It's still a great looking kit, maybe still one of my favourite protagonist suits or even Gundams in general in spite of me severely cooling on the series it came from. The only other PG I ever got was the Unit 01 with the crazy rubber insides (gently caress that thing), but the Strike is still baller as hell.

edit; caught myself on dalong looking at kits, nope, not getting back into this, don't have the money, not gonna do it

Pierson fucked around with this message at 10:35 on Oct 25, 2017

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Pierson posted:

Speaking of the PG Strike anyone want a pre-built one? I did it for Christmas like a decade ago when I was 100% on for gunpla and I just don't have the room to display it or the time to paint it, and it's a shame for such a nice kit to be gathering dust in a box behind a wardrobe. I just checked it and it's still got the accessories (decals, lil' pilot-guy, sword, gun, shield), it's just dusty as poo poo.

PM me and I'll throw it over for cost of shipping (it's fine if you want me to ship to the US but it might be a bunch).

Where is local to you?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Neurolimal already beat you to it, sorry man.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Pierson posted:

Neurolimal already beat you to it, sorry man.

Thought so. Was mostly curious, always interesting to know what countries people are from with this hobby.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Ooh I get it, sorry. I'm in the north of England but I've not bought anything in a looooong time. At one point I had a whole bunch of MGs but I never really advanced any higher than basic panel lining and decals.

What's a good site for checking out the real high-end paint-jobs and dioramas such? They get posted a lot in Trad Games and they always look incredible.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Luminaflare posted:

always interesting to know what countries people are from with this hobby.

Upstate New York, USA checking in with my second finished gunpla:

After doing a RG, a HG was hilariously easy and quick, but he looks good! I had fun building him, and so: my fate is sealed. My wallet will be sacrificed to the altar of buying more kits. May I become brave enough to apply stickers, amen.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

StrixNebulosa posted:

After doing a RG, a HG was hilariously easy and quick, but he looks good! I had fun building him, and so: my fate is sealed. My wallet will be sacrificed to the altar of buying more kits. May I become brave enough to apply stickers, amen.

The classic GM is definitely one of the more hilariously easy ones, it was a much less ambitious line back in those days.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

StrixNebulosa posted:

RillAkBea posted:

The classic GM is definitely one of the more hilariously easy ones, it was a much less ambitious line back in those days.

It is, but at the same time it's a really good intro kit for people to realize "wow, model kits can be easy, cheap, AND look good???". Source: it was literally my first kit.

My only real advice is to be careful with the arms; since they use a silly peg design they're quite adept at snapping off if you're too rough. Same for the balljoints on the legs; you can definitely see why they changed to joints being separate pieces you slot into limbs, rather than sculpting them together.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do wish high grades would move away from ball joint shoulders back to pegs. The peg and slot hinges on RGs work just fine.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

If I have any complaints about the GM, it's a short list

- Why are you teal instead of white, like you are on the box and in the manual? The teal's cute, but I'd prefer accuracy in advertising.
- Thanks to the front skirt he can't sit down, which is a bummer for posing.
- The location of some nubs, especially the ones on the front of his feet protectors. I'm not sure how to hide or get rid of those marks, and it's just... sigh. I can live with it, but man.

Aside from that, for a ten dollar kit, he's perfect! Cute, easy to pose, easy to put together, and I'd happily recommend him to newcomers - or to anyone who wants an easy kit.

That said, I'm definitely saving up for an RG or MG after the Qubeley because I want something a little more involved, next. Gimme gimme something with pages of instructions and lots of runners. :D

brainwrinkle
Oct 18, 2009

What's going on in here?
Buglord
The HG Revive Qubeley is excellent.

EVGA Longoria
Dec 25, 2005

Let's go exploring!

I think I’m going to be tackling the RG Unicorn this weekend. Pretty excited after hearing all the praise for it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

The HG Revive Qubeley is excellent.

Excellent! It should be here in a couple weeks, and I'm eager to build it! :D

I love that there are weirder kits in gunpla. It's fun to build a Gundam but it's gonna be more fun to build a weirdo. :D

MJP
Jun 17, 2007

Are you looking at me Senpai?

Grimey Drawer

Pierson posted:

In case anyone's interested I've got a PG Skygrasper + Aile Strike that I'd sell for $55 plus half the cost of shipping.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

StrixNebulosa posted:

If I have any complaints about the GM, it's a short list

- Why are you teal instead of white, like you are on the box and in the manual? The teal's cute, but I'd prefer accuracy in advertising.
- Thanks to the front skirt he can't sit down, which is a bummer for posing.
- The location of some nubs, especially the ones on the front of his feet protectors. I'm not sure how to hide or get rid of those marks, and it's just... sigh. I can live with it, but man.

Aside from that, for a ten dollar kit, he's perfect! Cute, easy to pose, easy to put together, and I'd happily recommend him to newcomers - or to anyone who wants an easy kit.

That said, I'm definitely saving up for an RG or MG after the Qubeley because I want something a little more involved, next. Gimme gimme something with pages of instructions and lots of runners. :D

I haven't built the unicorn myself, but I'd heartily recommend the RG Gundam MK II.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Oct 25, 2017