Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CountFosco
Jan 9, 2012

Welcome back to the Liturgigoon thread, friend.

the old ceremony posted:

how could anyone dump a chicken :( it's not like they're hard to rehome, and they can't possibly survive in the wild so it's condemning them to an awful death unless a good samaritan like you comes along. (which is hypocritical of me to say because i left three guinea fowl to fend for themselves for a month, although in my defense it was because they're literally impossible to catch once they get going.)

tank is so cute - her sweet little face! she is a lucky rosebud :3:

the quail eggs unfortunately got abandoned a few days ago while i was out of town and i wasn't back in time to put them in the incubator. the quails were being babysat and fed well so i guess they just lost interest, which i was kind of expecting to happen. i'll bury those eggs, put the next clutch in the incubator and then resume the experiment asap because dammit i want my magical nuclear quail family

At least with Guinea hens they're sturdy enough that they can actually survive on their own for an impressive amount of time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

the old ceremony posted:

how could anyone dump a chicken :( it's not like they're hard to rehome, and they can't possibly survive in the wild so it's condemning them to an awful death

I've seen feral chickens. Seen 'em in the Republic of Georgia, seen 'em in the Florida keys.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
In North Queensland there are meant to be feral chickens who have interbred with the legit junglefowl that run around there and popped over from the mainland and PNG. So you have chickens that are big and fat like domesticated chickens but smart and wily too.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

In North Queensland there are meant to be feral chickens who have interbred with the legit junglefowl that run around there and popped over from the mainland and PNG. So you have chickens that are big and fat like domesticated chickens but smart and wily too.

Welp, good to know dinosaurs are evolving again. Imma go buy a rocket launcher.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

crows i love you, i seriously had no idea we had wild junglefowl in australia, this is so cool

Captain Log posted:

Welp, good to know dinosaurs are evolving again. Imma go buy a rocket launcher.
you've never heard of the cassowary?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

the old ceremony posted:

crows i love you, i seriously had no idea we had wild junglefowl in australia, this is so cool

you've never heard of the cassowary?

I live in a place where the biggest avian threat is a confused turkey.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
at the moment i'm aiming to get some native australian quail. they're legal to own and breed, but it's hard to get hold of legitimate stock because they look very similar to non-jumbo japanese quail and can interbreed with them easily. (a guy in my state does a breeding program with taronga and is allowed to sell excess stock to the public but he's about twelve hours away and i can't afford a road trip at this stage of my life.) even though the two species look almost the same, obviously the australian quail is ridiculously hardy and tough compared to the japanese. apparently they can live indefinitely without open water as long as there's green vegetation they can eat. my quails jump out of their skins for dandelion greens so i'm guessing one of the main species they rely on is dandelions, so imo native quails and native dandelions could be the backbone of open-woodland and grassland rehabilitation. plus they're probably delicious

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
the cassowary is a giant malevolent guinea fowl from the tropic of capricorn, it is hella buff and has knives on its feet

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

the old ceremony posted:

the cassowary is a giant malevolent guinea fowl from the tropic of capricorn, it is hella buff and has knives on its feet

Oh I know. If I lived in Aussie-land I'd be an ornithologist - but specifically for behavioral parrot care. I think of Australia as a paradise of funny birds to meet.

And feral cockatoos. Apparently that's a thing.

Question - I couple of the bird crazies keep house chickens. Are there ever "indoor/outdoor" chickens? I'm speaking about their temperament rather than asking if a chicken can walk in a house. :)

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
here's a benevolent aussie bird i met today

he's a baby frogmouth and he made quiet chicken noises

Captain Log posted:

feral cockatoos
lol apparently hearing a little voice chattering away in english in the middle of a screeching cockie flock happens pretty frequently

anyway this is not the australian native birds thread so i'll stop now, sorry everyone

the old ceremony fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Oct 21, 2017

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
Tonnes of people I knew growing up had pet galahs. The usual thing is you hit one with a car (going about 30 in a school zone because galahs are supernaturally gifted at being hit by slow moving cars) and nurse it back to health. Then by the time it's ready to go back to the wild it has learnt how to say "hello cockie!" and you can't bear to let it go. Or it just comes back when you try to release it because it has realised human food is delicious and human houses are generally comfy to live in.

It could be that galahs deliberately throw themselves in front of cars so they will be adopted by a friendly human...

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

the old ceremony posted:

here's a benevolent aussie bird i met today

he's a baby frogmouth and he made quiet chicken noises.
Ooh, look at that!

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

Tonnes of people I knew growing up had pet galahs. The usual thing is you hit one with a car (going about 30 in a school zone because galahs are supernaturally gifted at being hit by slow moving cars) and nurse it back to health. Then by the time it's ready to go back to the wild it has learnt how to say "hello cockie!" and you can't bear to let it go. Or it just comes back when you try to release it because it has realised human food is delicious and human houses are generally comfy to live in.

It could be that galahs deliberately throw themselves in front of cars so they will be adopted by a friendly human...

This sounds amazing, because when you say "galah" it brings literally nothing into my mind.

So I'm envisioning parrots rescuing themselves into houses, rather than the actuality of a galah probably being plain and everywhere.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

Captain Log posted:

This sounds amazing, because when you say "galah" it brings literally nothing into my mind.

So I'm envisioning parrots rescuing themselves into houses, rather than the actuality of a galah probably being plain and everywhere.

I am on my phone so no pics for now, but galahs are cockatoos with pink and grey plumage, smaller than a sulphur crested, bigger than a lorikeet. They hang out in big noisy flocks, often around water holes, and love to shriek. Like pigeons they have a reputation for being dumb as gently caress but are actually surprisingly brainy. Calling someone a galah in Australia is basically calling them a fool.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

I am on my phone so no pics for now, but galahs are cockatoos with pink and grey plumage, smaller than a sulphur crested, bigger than a lorikeet. They hang out in big noisy flocks, often around water holes, and love to shriek. Like pigeons they have a reputation for being dumb as gently caress but are actually surprisingly brainy. Calling someone a galah in Australia is basically calling them a fool.

Like a Rosella?

Also, so I don’t hijack the chicken thread - I demand a picture of the smuggest chicken the forums can produce.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

Edit: Not a chicken, but it IS a pretty galah.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

Captain Log posted:

The funny thing is galahs are parrots which are plain and everywhere.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Captain Log posted:

Also, so I don’t hijack the chicken thread - I demand a picture of the smuggest chicken the forums can produce.

Pip sat on my head for a full 90 minutes.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.
I do not own chickens but I did find a picture of a smug one.

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Saw this on twitter. They say the chicken is happy on the paddle board, but the poor hen looks stressed to me:

https://twitter.com/rhollister57/status/920443516127498241

Am I wrong?

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb

Organza Quiz posted:

The funny thing is galahs are parrots which are plain and everywhere.

I was born to immigrants in the wrong drat country.

spookygonk posted:

Firstly, this is literal chuckle to myself levels of funny. Do chickens just have that "sit on things I like for world peace!" gene hardwired? Parrots turn psycho around eggs.

Cythereal posted:

I do not own chickens but I did find a picture of a smug one.

I'd call that pompous, but incredible.

spookygonk posted:

Am I wrong?

Who in God's name knows? It's a chicken having it's mind blown my being more agile on water than most humans. I say it gets a pass.

I can't find my favourite chicken picture, so here is a picture of the smuggest badass alive* with some chickens.

(*This isn't me...just for...records...)

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Well I guess that teen actually was telling the truth when he said he gets all the chicks.

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

spookygonk posted:

I love zen chicken

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum

spookygonk posted:

Saw this on twitter. They say the chicken is happy on the paddle board, but the poor hen looks stressed to me:

Am I wrong?

She does look stressed. The rapidly dilating and contracting of the pupils plus the panting means she's at the very least excited and not calm as the voiceover suggests. If she just had her mouth open and her breathing was rapid I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and say she was just very warm but her body language seems to indicate she's confused and stressed.

Still I do not own this chicken and if the owner of this chicken is in this thread please do not cyberbully me, I am very sensitive

e: also that is the name of my first chicken who had a name, she loved to eat silverbeet and get on the roof of the pen

Morningwoodpecker
Jan 17, 2016

I DIDN'T THINK IT WAS POSSIBLE FOR SOMEONE TO BE THIS STUPID

BUT HERE YOU ARE

CROWS EVERYWHERE posted:

She does look stressed. The rapidly dilating and contracting of the pupils plus the panting means she's at the very least excited and not calm as the voiceover suggests. If she just had her mouth open and her breathing was rapid I'd give them the benefit of the doubt and say she was just very warm but her body language seems to indicate she's confused and stressed.

Still I do not own this chicken and if the owner of this chicken is in this thread please do not cyberbully me, I am very sensitive

e: also that is the name of my first chicken who had a name, she loved to eat silverbeet and get on the roof of the pen

Yep, looks terrified. Along with the open beak you can see her wings are ready to be raised and her knee's are bent with her belly low down she's constantly halfway into a submit stance.

Captain Log
Oct 2, 2006

Now I am become Borb,
the Destroyer of Seeb
I found the smuggest rooster! Please excuse the watermark - it's too perfect a picture to not share.

Late Fees
Jan 8, 2004
Your fees are valid.

Hi Chicken Thread! I've been slowly working my way up from page 1 over the last few weeks (with the help of a Photobucket-fixing Chrome extension) and I've enjoyed it so much. My turn to share! We ordered 4 chicks from mypetchicken.com last June. It was my wife's idea to get them, but I feel like I've gotten a lot more enjoyment out of the chicken raising life than I expected. Pic dump ahead

Right after arrival. We have video of the unopened cheeping box somewhere but I can't find it

Awkward teenage phase

Brunhilda is an Orpington who has the unfortunate quality of melting in the Summer sun

Claudette is an Easter Egger. She made the best bewildered faces as a baby

Eloise (Weezy) is also an Easter Egger. She used to have an excellent beard but over the Summer she lost all the feathers on her face. They're growing back now... sort of

Priscilla is a Barred Rock who got in a fight with ???a sister???the run wall???a ghost??? last year and came out minus a comb point. The result is a gnarly punk rock haircut.

Some group shots

Emergency hurricane shelter (5 baby gates lashed together). They cried and cried until we gave them a box to lay eggs in.

Coop construction collage

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Late Fees posted:

Pic dump ahead.

Those are some fine hens.

the old ceremony
Aug 1, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
omg

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

If anyone is interested, I follow this person's tumblr account. They have 4 hens including this marvellous creature below and a super sweet and capable blind roo appropriately named Bumble. The blog owner posts lots of high quality vids and pics of their chickens, and is worth a follow if you use the service. They also have a second blog because they dabble in beekeeping, so if you like bees that's worth a look, too.

CROWS EVERYWHERE
Dec 17, 2012

CAW CAW CAW

Dinosaur Gum
What a pretty chook :syoon:

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Important question can you frost the tips of feathers?

skullamity
Nov 9, 2004

Eifert Posting posted:

Important question can you frost the tips of feathers?

I mean, probably not without getting your fingers pecked off. :shrug:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

Weather permitting, today we will put the cam out in the yard and run Chickam! The babies are all grown up!

Sorry we haven't been around for ages, life this year has been...ah...'interesting' again... :suicide:

Velvet Sparrow
May 15, 2006

'Hope' is the thing with feathers, that perches in the soul, and sings the tune, without the words, and never stops--at all.

The cam will be up in a few minutes!

Lots of heavy molting going on, don't be shocked...

Wheel of Food activated! My computer won't bring up UStream chat, sorry. My comp had a catastrophic crash recently and is still only partway working.

Taking down the cam, it's getting dark and our storm is moving in. The roo crowing at the end was Groot--he sounds...strained. Poor boy, he's a slow growing breed and is still getting the hang of it. At least he isn't squeaky any more. :)

Velvet Sparrow fucked around with this message at 01:06 on Nov 26, 2017

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen
It was my birthday yesterday but I'm away from my hens due to visiting my partner's mum.

Share me some chicken pics, please!

Rip_Van_Winkle
Jul 21, 2011

"When life gives you ghosts, you make ghost-robots"

I think this is a philosophy we can all aspire to.

spookygonk posted:

Am I wrong?

Yeah as far as I can tell that chicken is freaking out. That is not conventional happy body language. If there was more to the video and it showed the chicken willingly and eagerly getting on the paddle board, that would be one thing, but it doesn't. Maybe it's just the only chicken in the world with all apparent signs of stress meaning "I'm super excited" but I doubt that.

ynohtna posted:

It was my birthday yesterday but I'm away from my hens due to visiting my partner's mum.

Share me some chicken pics, please!

This is Xul, she turns into an anime protagonist when it rains.

This is Dr Oops on his first visit to the vet, he had a big ol cyst on his wing, which we wanted to get checked out because he's only about twelve weeks old. He was very popular at the vet because he is very handsome and they don't get too many chickens.

Rip_Van_Winkle fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Dec 11, 2017

spookygonk
Apr 3, 2005
Does not give a damn

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This is Dr Oops on his first visit to the vet, he had a big ol cyst on his wing, which we wanted to get checked out because he's only about twelve weeks old. He was very popular at the vet because he is very handsome and they don't get too many chickens.

He is extremely handsome.

ynohtna
Feb 16, 2007

backwoods compatible
Illegal Hen

Rip_Van_Winkle posted:

This is Xul, she turns into an anime protagonist when it rains.

:love::love::love:

Thank you! :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

turd in my singlet
Jul 5, 2008

DO ALL DA WORK

WIT YA NECK

*heavy metal music playing*
Nap Ghost
Hi Chicken Thread,

I'm looking for a Christmas present for my mom, who is a small-time hen keeper. She's already got plenty of kitschy chicken stuff around the house, and the presents I have for my dad and sister are practical so I was hoping to find something practical for her as well. She has 8 birds, a large coop with nestboxes, a large fenced area of the yard for them to roam, and basic stuff like water and food bowls. What are some gift ideas to make taking care of the chickens easier for her?

I looked at some automatic coop doors, but those are $150-300. I'm hoping to find something around the $50 price range. Any ideas?

Thanks!