Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Normal Barbarian
Nov 24, 2006

Everyone knows woodglue is stronger than wood itself, just gotta gloop some titebond in there and clamp it, problem solved :eng101:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raised by Hamsters
Sep 16, 2007

and hopped up on bagels

StormDrain posted:

http://www.deckmagazine.com/design-construction/framing/stronger-post-to-beam-connections_o

Check out the slideshow if you want to get more in depth, but you can have them on the side, but not notched like that, just use the proper hardware to mount it. Lots of different ways to do it.

Notching a 6x6 for beams is fine though? And actually how you're supposed to do it, I think? As far as I know you expressly can NOT slap beams onto the side of a support post no matter what hardware you are using. Maybe there are hangers for doing it that way, don't know.

I think they just used a lovely piece of lumber and went "good enough".

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Freshly-poured driveway in my neighborhood.

I'm...pretty sure it's not supposed to look like that.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Looks fine. I didn't know we'd colonized the surface of the moon though.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Musk’s Moon soundstage looking good.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Now, that's a hot load.

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

That's similar to our lumpy diy driveway.

Polio Vax Scene
Apr 5, 2009

it'll buff out

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Oh, driveways come in stucco, now.

Boogalo
Jul 8, 2012

Meep Meep

Polio Vax Scene posted:

it'll buff out

technically correct

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are

Artisinal driveways are all the rage among hipster home owners.

BonerGhost
Mar 9, 2007

Did they just dump it and run? How's it get like that?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Notching a 6x6 for beams is fine though? And actually how you're supposed to do it, I think? As far as I know you expressly can NOT slap beams onto the side of a support post no matter what hardware you are using. Maybe there are hangers for doing it that way, don't know.

Yeah, that's why I said they were so close to correct.
The two biggest problems with what they did are:
1) They cut the notches too deep along the length of the 6x6 so the load is unevenly distributed (it's being sent down that middle tongue of the 6x6) and it's caused that crack. My guess is that they cut them at 6" because "it's a 2x6, right?"
2) They didn't run bolts through the 2x6's which is allowing them to bow out under load, exacerbating the issue. Again, guessing that they just screwed them down and thought "good enough."

Technically there are hangars allowing you to run joists on the side of the post rather than on top with a bracket or plate of or notching.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

NancyPants posted:

Did they just dump it and run? How's it get like that?

Looks like they didn't have *quite* enough concrete to screed it out properly to the level of the forms.

On the plus side, it won't be slippery when wet.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Boogalo posted:

technically correct

The best kind of correct!

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Raised by Hamsters posted:

Two comments, without any scale I thought that was a 4x4 with 1x beams, so I assumed it was no good.

Second, the answer to both of your questions is in the link from my post, as well as a rebuttal to the statement.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Facebook Aunt posted:

The best kind of correct!
You're promoted to grade 36!

Buff Skeleton
Oct 24, 2005

https://twitter.com/BRENTHOR/status/923202445240619008

:lol: absolutely amazing. I want pictures.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
I love spying on houses that come up in my town

Nothing too terrible but it has DIY and ugli written all over it

moist turtleneck fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 26, 2017

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

loving that verticle outlet

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Jesus Christ.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Here's the listing, there's some other good tidbits in there like the crooked linoleum path in between two tile floors

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/MO-65201/58718730_zpid/86715_rid/38.939993,-92.263967,38.925605,-92.287034_rect/15_zm/

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

moist turtleneck posted:

Was this some challenge to build a bathroom only out of 4x1's ?

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

moist turtleneck posted:

that countertop looks exactly like the plastic on the portapotty handwashing stations

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

Dirt Road Junglist
Oct 8, 2010

We will be cruel
And through our cruelty
They will know who we are
Or...don't.

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
i too crave the giant king midas came all over my sofa look

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Dozens and dozens of dust cups and spiderweb holders that shatter if you clean them.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

I guess it could be a fun sparkly holiday decoration for pinterest moms. Then after the holidays you scrape off the egg shells and use the panels to make a collage out of wine corks or something. So many wine corks.

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
It looks like a rash or some kind of horrible disease.

HycoCam
Jul 14, 2016

You should have backed Transverse!
Assuming a realtor took these pictures to sell the house--why? Why would you include this picture? So much wrong with it.

"How much for a roman tub faucet? Ohh, $250 is a lot... I know how I can make a regular $50 faucet work with $15 in parts...."

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.
How much for a better dimmer switch that doesn't lose its knob between pictures? Or for the right cover instead of three hacked together? Or for attractive bulbs instead of those CFLs?

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

moist turtleneck posted:

Here's the listing, there's some other good tidbits in there like the crooked linoleum path in between two tile floors

https://www.zillow.com/homes/for_sale/MO-65201/58718730_zpid/86715_rid/38.939993,-92.263967,38.925605,-92.287034_rect/15_zm/

It's the gift that keeps on giving.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Nope. I won't.

Thanks for the warning though.

The Twinkie Czar
Dec 31, 2004
I went for super stud.

moist turtleneck posted:

"Should we include another picture of the kitchen? Or a floorplan?"
"Nope."

Only registered members can see post attachments!

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I've never had that phobia of lotus plants or whatever, but this is kinda getting to me.

WrenP-Complete
Jul 27, 2012

My Lovely Horse posted:

I've never had that phobia of lotus plants or whatever, but this is kinda getting to me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trypophobia for anyone who wonders what they are talking about.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!
I have never wanted anything less, and I am including the time a meth head offered to blow me.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

I kind of like it. But then I also don't believe someone actually gilded eggshells and glued them down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

razorscooter
Nov 5, 2008

https://twitter.com/BRENTHOR/status/923202895234981889
hate it when my house begins rapidly settling for no reason