Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This one's cute, gently caress y'all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Miserable Maid
Apr 22, 2010

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

PMush Perfect posted:

This one's cute, gently caress y'all.

Yeah, it's not weirdly sexualized like the other fan art she tends to get

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

doesn't mean it's not ugly

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i also love aggregating random people's innocuous fanart to poo poo talk it

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The girls in general get the short shrift but that's pretty typical in WSJ. We haven't approached Naruto levels of females being useless but I'm a bit disappointed the girls had such a blah showing so far.

The problem is that most of the girls don't have quirks that are conducive to typical shounen battles. Most of the boys can throw hands or have generic blasty attack powers, the girls have good quirks but funny enough the only one that seems suited for getting a real head-to-head fight is Jirou with proper support gear. Tsuyu should be more than capable of really fighting hand-to-hand but most WSJ mangaka wouldn't put a character like her into a slobberknocker 1v1 fight, and I don't think Hori's an exception.

They probably won't let Ashido melt anyone's faces off, but she could probably gently caress up a robot real good.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Fabricated posted:

The girls in general get the short shrift but that's pretty typical in WSJ. We haven't approached Naruto levels of females being useless but I'm a bit disappointed the girls had such a blah showing so far.

The problem is that most of the girls don't have quirks that are conducive to typical shounen battles. Most of the boys can throw hands or have generic blasty attack powers, the girls have good quirks but funny enough the only one that seems suited for getting a real head-to-head fight is Jirou with proper support gear. Tsuyu should be more than capable of really fighting hand-to-hand but most WSJ mangaka wouldn't put a character like her into a slobberknocker 1v1 fight, and I don't think Hori's an exception.

So they need to get smart about how they fight since they're not suited to go in and have a fist fight with whoever. Like how Gon fought Hisoka and Gido in the Heaven's Arena.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Horikoshi has shown he can creates scenarios and arcs where things are solved not through the kids doing punches. Anyway Uraraka now has professional hand-to-hand combat training that would be of use in traditional fight mans, and frog powers have been used for fighting in other works. It's no excuse.

The reason why the girls didn't do anything this arc isn't that they're hard to write for it's because Horikoshi or I guess maybe the editors or something decided not to write about them.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

maybe he was planning to but an editor told him to gently caress off and hurry it up because the arc was seriously starting to drag on. honestly I don't think another fight before overhaul would have been a good thing. I'd have liked for them to get some cool scenes but it made sense for suneater and red riot to get something here after the way they were set up earlier in the arc

we do need froppy to actually do something at some point if she's gonna keep getting so much screen time tho

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

the simple solution is stop giving her screentime

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

dogsicle posted:

the simple solution is stop giving her screentime
Heretic!

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

i mean, my hope of literally anybody other than uraraka or froppy getting screentime would probably just result in them also doing nothing of note so maybe we're hosed either way

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I remain optimistic and positive that one day the characters i'd like to see get to do stuff will indeed do stuff but it doesn't seem it'll be happening this arc at least.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Some good fanart.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

Say Nothing posted:

Some good fanart.

yes

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

When did Penders get so good at particle effects?

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I know people love the frog girl, but this was an opportunity to showcase another of Deku's classmates. In particular, I think Ashido would have been a good candidate. She might've accomplished more than Asui, like maybe making a giant hole in the ground with her acid, and she had a connection to Kirishima that could've justified showing his backstory.

Mraagvpeine fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Oct 30, 2017

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
The problem with what Red Riot got this arc is that it's a retread of every focus moment he's even gotten. I feel like we've seen more into his head than anyone except Deku, Uraraka, Iida, Todoroki, or Bakugo but it's the same loving beats every time.

The bit earlier against the yakuza guy with the transformation reveal was great, the fight where he did basically nothing and had a flashback that stretched a boring fight out even further blew rear end.

Mulderman
Mar 20, 2009

Did someone say axe magnet?

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Was Mimic that cool? He didn't really get to do all that much and his 'fight' was more about the VA loving over the Yakuza.

His fight wasn't all that spectacular, but it had a nice ending.

I just think he's pretty memorable, being the little rage poo poo he is.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Horikoshi has shown he can creates scenarios and arcs where things are solved not through the kids doing punches. Anyway Uraraka now has professional hand-to-hand combat training that would be of use in traditional fight mans, and frog powers have been used for fighting in other works. It's no excuse.

The reason why the girls didn't do anything this arc isn't that they're hard to write for it's because Horikoshi or I guess maybe the editors or something decided not to write about them.

I want to see Uraraka gently caress up someone's face real good.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer

Mr. Fowl posted:

I want to see Uraraka gently caress up someone's face real good.

Yeah, same.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Doesn't Uraraka basically have a "win button" if she can touch someone in terms of her ability to make people weightless (or at least it would basically win a fight against most people)? I also wonder if she could do something like make some really heavy thing weightless (like a steel beam), swing it, and give it weight again at the very end of her swing when she releases it or whatever. It would basically be like a sort of super strength that you just had to use with a certain sort of style/finesse (since you couldn't really keep holding heavy things after giving them their weight back).

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
I think she has to touch her hands together to release her quirk, so a swing probably wouldn't work. She could probably throw it over somebody's head and make it drop on them if she got the timing right, like in her fight with Bakugou.

Dog Kisser
Mar 30, 2005

But People have fears that beasts do not. Questions, too.

SpacePig posted:

I think she has to touch her hands together to release her quirk, so a swing probably wouldn't work. She could probably throw it over somebody's head and make it drop on them if she got the timing right, like in her fight with Bakugou.

Forget about over their head, throw a tungsten brick at someone and release it right before it hits them.

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Dog Kisser posted:

Forget about over their head, throw a tungsten brick at someone and release it right before it hits them.

That's what I'm thinking, Urakawa seems to remove the inertial mass too with her power after all.

In fact, I'd commission a tool like Bakugou has, except to hurl tungsten slugs.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
The main heroine of BNHA being a grappler is awesome. Every fight she's been in, someone has gotten tossed like a sack of potatoes.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

ChronoReverse posted:

That's what I'm thinking, Urakawa seems to remove the inertial mass too with her power after all.

In fact, I'd commission a tool like Bakugou has, except to hurl tungsten slugs.

Do we know whether she can release her hold on individual things, though? As far as I know, she releases her quirky entirely at once, and anything that was floating isn't anymore.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
To me the main problem with this arc is that it’s somehow both 900 chapters long and feels extremely rushed, like one issue night guy says hey watch out for the guy overhall the next issue they randomly Bump into him on the street while he’s walking the girl they need to save for no reason.

Work Friend Keven
Oct 24, 2015

I'M A BIG STUPID IDIOT WHO GETS TRIGGERED FROM THE WORDS SPORTS BALL AND HAS SHIT OPINIONS ABOUT CARD GAMES. ALSO I SAID I WAS GOING TO QUIT HEARTHSTONE OUT OF SPITE OF A TAIWANESE WINNING THE CHAMPIONSHIP SO REPORT ME IF YOU SEE ME POST IN A HS THREAD
The other thing I don’t like is the whole thing felt like cool worldbuilding and setup backburner stuff with the VA making uneasy allies and the top 3 students but then it just turned into running down a hallway punching every bad guy in order.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon

Work Friend Keven posted:

like one issue night guy says hey watch out for the guy overhall the next issue they randomly Bump into him on the street while he’s walking the girl they need to save for no reason.

She was trying to escape and he caught her. Then he literally ripped the head off the guy responsible for letting her escape.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

SpacePig posted:

drat, that's actually better than what I was thinking. She could just throw some fuckoff heavy thing at someone and deactivate her quirk soon before it hits them. For some reason I was thinking she had to touch all of her fingers to the object (I was mixing up her quirk with Shigaraki's).

edit: I forget, can she selectively reduce the weight of things to varying degrees, or is it just a "totally weightless or nothing" sort of thing. The former would open up a lot of options.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Oct 30, 2017

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

Work Friend Keven posted:

The other thing I don’t like is the whole thing felt like cool worldbuilding and setup backburner stuff with the VA making uneasy allies and the top 3 students but then it just turned into running down a hallway punching every bad guy in order.
Yeah. Again, I think they should have had two smaller arcs- one where the students do intern stuff and maybe fight some one-off single chapter villains while Shiggy and Overhaul work on something together. You establish Overhaul's motives, past, and plans there, show the fraught relationship between the Yakuza and VA (like establishing Toga and Twice's distaste for them).

Then have the critical meeting that leads to the raid and do the raid there with 80% less random flashbacks.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

I don't like that so much of this arc has involved trying to explain how Quirks work, I preferred it when they were just a thing and we didn't get bogged down in explanations of the details. I think you can have powers with very clear rules like Hunter X Hunter or pretty loose ones like One Piece/JoJo but a problem arises when you establish a loosey goosey power system and then later try to add technical details. This happened in Naruto and was one of the most irritating parts before it totally went off the cliff.

Eri's power is also an absolute mess and I thought after it was introduced it'd be walked back or qualified more but every sentence about it makes it way more overblown. It's like in Harry Potter (I know I know) when they introduced the time travel thing and then it was used to for doing more classes which was loving insanity.

MonsterEnvy posted:

I kind of like how Chisaki's making his boss comatose was justified to himself. I need to repay you and make you proud but you don't want me to, because it involves hurting your Granddaughter. So I am just going to put you in a coma so you can just be proud after the fact. It's utterly insane in its reasoning.

I liked that a lot too!

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ytlaya posted:

drat, that's actually better than what I was thinking. She could just throw some fuckoff heavy thing at someone and deactivate her quirk soon before it hits them. For some reason I was thinking she had to touch all of her fingers to the object (I was mixing up her quirk with Shigaraki's).

edit: I forget, can she selectively reduce the weight of things to varying degrees, or is it just a "totally weightless or nothing" sort of thing. The former would open up a lot of options.

She touches her fingers to something to remove its weight, which is the same activation method Shigaraki has. However, she deactivates her quirk by touching her fingers all together, whereas Shiggy doing that would... Probably result in him disintegrating himself.

I think she just removes gravity entirely, meanwhile.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

https://twitter.com/TechBromancer/status/924667422954737664

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

That is amazing and I want that design so I can bleach it onto a shirt.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Hori's being weird again in the omakes

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Everything about that is flawless, except for Big Hands's stance. Pose like you mean it, girl!

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm glad that the VA trio has become Shigaraki Toga and Twice.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

i want hand girl instead now

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Other omake stuff.

This:
https://i.imgur.com/EDJv8U2.jpg which I'm not linking since it might be mildly nsfw?

which apparently is inspired by this:

and I can't find a good whole shot of it but here's an edited version of the character page.