Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Bilirubin posted:

Wonderful Life is no joke one of the best science-for-the-general-public books ever written.

its unbelievably good yeah. bits of it are outdated (e.g. hallucigenia doesnt actually walk the way gould thought it walked) but its overall solid and essential reading imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah
Alastair Reynolds went off the deep end with his latest novel and I'm running out of 'hard' sci fi to read.

Also just finished 'Borne' by Jeff Vandemeer which I liked immensely more than the Reach trilogy. Recommended!

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

Brinner posted:

Alastair Reynolds went off the deep end with his latest novel and I'm running out of 'hard' sci fi to read.

Also just finished 'Borne' by Jeff Vandemeer which I liked immensely more than the Reach trilogy. Recommended!

Have you read Stephen Baxter's NASA Trilogy? Voyage, Titan, and Moonseed? Or his XeeLee series?

queef anxiety
Mar 4, 2009

yeah

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

Have you read Stephen Baxter's NASA Trilogy? Voyage, Titan, and Moonseed? Or his XeeLee series?

I've read the NASA trilogy and some of his Xeelee sequence. Maybe I'll go back and finish that if I can remember most of it..

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I need a couple more Book of the Month suggestions so I can throw up a poll.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl
Solaris by Stanislaw Lem
Abolition of Species by Dietmar Dath

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Brinner posted:

Trajectory series by Rob Campbell (disclosure: author is a friend, but I really liked them).

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

StrixNebulosa posted:

Man's Search for Meaning by Viktor Frankl

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
thanks folks that's enough

I could have sworn we'd already done Solaris maybe I just put it in prior polls

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

thanks folks that's enough

I could have sworn we'd already done Solaris maybe I just put it in prior polls

I checked the past threads and it's not in there, so maybe it was done pre 2014? :shrug:

Either way I need an excuse to read it, it's sitting right next to me taunting me, but I'm reading Groundties and Man's Search for Meaning instead.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Franchescanado posted:

The Snow Child by Eowyn Ivey

Solid

Did I recommend that to you?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Solid

Did I recommend that to you?

Yep

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans

Human Tornada posted:

What is Don Winslow's stuff like? The local place has The Cartel for for 3.99 used.

I liked The Cartel and it's sequel, but I have a particular interest in drug trafficking and the War on Drugs. I know many (most?) parts of both novels are based on things that actually happened, just wish I knew better which parts are fact-based and which are pure fiction.

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

I have a book recommendation for everyone: join the Book Barn Secret Santa. You'll get a surprise book present and the joy of sharing a book you love with someone else. Last year was a big success so I'm sure this year will be too. If you're interested, please pop over to the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838647

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Safety Biscuits posted:

I have a book recommendation for everyone: join the Book Barn Secret Santa. You'll get a surprise book present and the joy of sharing a book you love with someone else. Last year was a big success so I'm sure this year will be too. If you're interested, please pop over to the thread: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3838647

I would, except that I don't want to receive books from random people on this forum.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

can i get recommendations for fiction by catalan authors?

Burning Rain
Jul 17, 2006

What's happening?!?!
practically anything by Quim Monzó is fun if not super substantial, Mercè Rodoreda is good if a bit old fashioned. Albert Sánchez Piñol's The Cool Skin is supposed to be good, but I haven't read it yet. Juan Marsé is writing in Spanish, but he's often piled together with Catalans (and he considers himself as such), and definitely worth reading.

Radio Spiricom
Aug 17, 2009

thank you

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Is Blackwater by McDowell super good?

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Burning Rain posted:

practically anything by Quim Monzó is fun if not super substantial, Mercè Rodoreda is good if a bit old fashioned. Albert Sánchez Piñol's The Cool Skin is supposed to be good, but I haven't read it yet. Juan Marsé is writing in Spanish, but he's often piled together with Catalans (and he considers himself as such), and definitely worth reading.

Quim is a bad rear end name to have

Safety Biscuits
Oct 21, 2010

It's actually a pussy name.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Junkie Disease posted:

I picked it up due to some strong recommendations and Ive stopped reading 13% in, as I'm not enjoying it.

Early book spoilers:

So some ancient river spirit/monster comes to town with a flood then instead of doing anything interesting she get married and settles down. I mean she's killed one kid but come on, give me blood.
The reveal that the newcomer is a monster was immediate and really anticlimactic, loads of suspense could have been built with that. Instead we have a sort of little women esq portail of small town life, except of of the women is some kind of elemental monster, its un-fun nonsense for the moment.

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dirty Frank posted:

I picked it up due to some strong recommendations and Ive stopped reading 13% in, as I'm not enjoying it.

Early book spoilers:

So some ancient river spirit/monster comes to town with a flood then instead of doing anything interesting she get married and settles down. I mean she's killed one kid but come on, give me blood.
The reveal that the newcomer is a monster was immediate and really anticlimactic, loads of suspense could have been built with that. Instead we have a sort of little women esq portail of small town life, except of of the women is some kind of elemental monster, its un-fun nonsense for the moment.

Maybe you should consider what the book is doing, rather than what you wanted it to do in your imagination space.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

Dirty Frank posted:

I liked it a lot, but it is not a horror novel so if you expect that you will be disappointed.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

A human heart posted:

Maybe you should consider what the book is doing, rather than what you wanted it to do in your imagination space.

Lol, theres no way you think Blackwater is a good book.

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

anilEhilated posted:

I liked it a lot, but it is not a horror novel so if you expect that you will be disappointed.

It could be an expectations thing, I did think it was going to be a bit of fun horror going in. Not sure if that was fair based on the recommendations or more my imagination.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

Junkie Disease posted:

Its a masterpiece and one of the great forgotten gems of American Literature imho

Just go in knowing its not a horror novel, its a terrific Southern Gothic novel where one character just so happens to be an immortal river monster who eats children

Dirty Frank posted:

So basically you went in hoping it would be bad and generic and are pissed off its good and interesting

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Its a masterpiece and one of the great forgotten gems of American Literature imho

Just go in knowing its not a horror novel, its a terrific Southern Gothic novel where one character just so happens to be an immortal river monster who eats children

So basically you went in hoping it would be bad and generic and are pissed off its good and interesting

basically yes (although it doesn't seem very interesting so far). It amazes me its being described as a "gems of American Literature" though, haha. Either a total expectation mismatch, or mental goons either way I guess I'll give it another go.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

Dirty Frank posted:

basically yes (although it doesn't seem very interesting so far). It amazes me its being described as a "gems of American Literature" though, haha. Either a total expectation mismatch, or mental goons either way I guess I'll give it another go.

It's no Faulkner or Flannery but it's waaay better than it has any right to be, to the point that it can create cognitive dissonance in the reader. Pretty much whatever expectation you have going in, it's going to be something different.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

Dirty Frank posted:

i cannot comprehend books that do not adhere slavishly to genre conventions, which i have internalized so deeply that they have become my substitute for aesthetic standards

i also have necrotic brain lesions

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 16:42 on Oct 31, 2017

Dirty Frank
Jul 8, 2004

It's no Faulkner or Flannery but it's waaay better than it has any right to be, to the point that it can create cognitive dissonance in the reader. Pretty much whatever expectation you have going in, it's going to be something different.
Thanks for the reasonable posts like this, you've (and the others) convinced me to give it another go. I'll try and remember to come back when I get around to reading it.

chernobyl kinsman posted:

i cannot comprehend books that do not adhere slavishly to genre conventions, which i have internalized so deeply that they have become my substitute for aesthetic standards

i also have necrotic brain lesions
You're reading things in my posts which aren't there.

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES
Could someone recommend a couple of crimey books? Like a true crime book that's interesting and also a fiction crime book?

I tried an agatha christie but pretty quickly i found the writing to be slightly old fashioned, talking about a factotum and how children "are, they just are"

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Dirty Frank posted:

Lol, theres no way you think Blackwater is a good book.

I've never read it, I just think you're approaching a book in a stupid way.

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

Crankit posted:

Could someone recommend a couple of crimey books? Like a true crime book that's interesting and also a fiction crime book?

I tried an agatha christie but pretty quickly i found the writing to be slightly old fashioned, talking about a factotum and how children "are, they just are"

Non-Fiction

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer

As for fiction, are you looking for a book about solving a murder, or a book about a murder that isn't a mystery?

A human heart posted:

I've never read it, I just think you're approaching a book in a stupid way.

u should

Crankit
Feb 7, 2011

HE WATCHES

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Non-Fiction

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote
The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer

As for fiction, are you looking for a book about solving a murder, or a book about a murder that isn't a mystery?

Thanks, I didn't consider that there might be non-mystery, I don't mind which for the fiction book.

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Crankit posted:

Thanks, I didn't consider that there might be non-mystery, I don't mind which for the fiction book.

James Ellroy’s LA Quartet books

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Crankit posted:

For fiction, Farewell, My Lovely by Raymond Chandler.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Crankit posted:

I didn't like Murder on the Orient Express years ago, but And Then There Were None is fantastic.

Non-Fiction

Devil in the White City (Erik Larson) - HH Holmes and the Columbian Exposition
Satan's Circus (Mike Dash) - police corruption and the dying days of Tammany Hall's influence
And the Dead Shall Rise (Steve Oney) - Leo Frank. Racial and geographical/class issues in the 1910s south.
For the Thrill of It (Simon Baatz) - Leopold and Loeb

Not recommended for you because it has some very annoying character speech tics, takes way too long to get started and drags on too long at the end, but someone out there might enjoy Theodore Dreiser's An American Tragedy. The middle section, about 300 pages worth, is extremely good. Several works have been based on it, including A Place in the Sun. Very heavily based on a true story.

mbt
Aug 13, 2012

Hi thread

I'm looking for a good non-fiction book of the French Revolution that isn't as dry as a textbook

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

Meyers-Briggs Testicle posted:

Hi thread

I'm looking for a good non-fiction book of the French Revolution that isn't as dry as a textbook

Hi Testicle

I remember this one as being a fun read:

https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/527523.Citizens