Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Ah. I'll do floor 2 today.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Is the Nasa Women set going to be available at Lego Stores?

Nth Doctor
Sep 7, 2010

Darkrai used Dream Eater!
It's super effective!

Scipiotik posted:

Is the Nasa Women set going to be available at Lego Stores?

Probably. Asked Mrs. Doctor to get me two copies for my birthday in two weeks. One for me, one for N+1th Doctor.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Yeah they’ll have some on release day, speculators might buy them all tho

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
^^^^ Highly doubtful.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
You never know with how few they make of Ideas sets sometimes and what the demand might be.

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

I was at target today, and this holiday lego endcap caught my eye. Anyone know empty spot is that a new poly bag or the old MF polybag. Brickseek shows nothing along with targets site

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

There's a mention of it on brickfan being available after the 12th, but no lego kit number to determine if it's new or not:

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-2017-target-toy-book-ad-promotions/

DrChud
Jun 18, 2004

Man that is kinda a let down, was expecting like the X-wing or Slave-1 polybags. Just noticed it is 20 pcs. Jeez, Santa is 54 more pieces and 1.50 cheaper. Glad I grabbed on of those.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

that might be the single lamest thing I've ever seen lego make.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

The 20 pieces figure must be a mistake. Even accounting for star wars markup that's extreme.

Plinkey
Aug 4, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
lol, I just found out that these are a thing:

http://www.brickbuilderspro.com/pieces-toy-block-ultimate-falcon/

meta lego

ElwoodCuse
Jan 11, 2004

we're puttin' the band back together

Plinkey posted:

lol, I just found out that these are a thing:

http://www.brickbuilderspro.com/pieces-toy-block-ultimate-falcon/

meta lego

The 18-wheeler truck from a couple years ago has as cargo other City sets from that year, including itself.

The Service Station has lego sets behind the counter, too

darkspider42
Oct 7, 2004

Best Buy security. You'll have to come with me sir.

xzzy posted:

There's a mention of it on brickfan being available after the 12th, but no lego kit number to determine if it's new or not:

https://www.thebrickfan.com/lego-2017-target-toy-book-ad-promotions/

The mini falcon was available to build at Star Wars celebration this year for free. I have one and there is no way it's worth 4.99

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Decided to sell my Pirates sets. I have all of them. All are 100% complete. Only a couple have boxes, though. And other than a couple old polybag sets, they all have manuals. If you are looking for any, make me an offer.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

darkspider42 posted:

The mini falcon was available to build at Star Wars celebration this year for free. I have one and there is no way it's worth 4.99

Isn't it one of the little builds from the advent calender? looks worth about 25 cents.

Somebody hosed up somewhere. usually SW polybags are 3.49 and have 3-4x the parts.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Women of NASA set is avail on amazon

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
And on the Lego site.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Target, too. 5% off there.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!
Hrm. I'm kinda tempted to buy one each for my nieces for Christmas. They're both 7.

I like the idea of getting them lego female scientists, but I'm not sure if the set isn't too boring and if they wouldn't be better off if I got them just some better sets. (Or something non-lego.)

Thoughts?

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

uXs posted:

Hrm. I'm kinda tempted to buy one each for my nieces for Christmas. They're both 7.

I like the idea of getting them lego female scientists, but I'm not sure if the set isn't too boring and if they wouldn't be better off if I got them just some better sets. (Or something non-lego.)

Thoughts?

I'm of two minds on this...

1) celebrating strong female role models in important fields. This is good.

2) Your nieces, in a truly feminist fashion, should be able to play with any set they want, yadda yadda, doesn't have to be female-oriented.

I guess also I think this particular set is a little boring, too. I wish they had made it a little more fun. I like it's core raison d'etre.

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

uXs posted:

Thoughts?

You can build your own minifigs if you visit a lego store, so you could always buy them some more interesting sets, and give them some suitably customised lady minifigs to go along with that.

uXs
May 3, 2005

Mark it zero!

Feenix posted:

I'm of two minds on this...

1) celebrating strong female role models in important fields. This is good.

2) Your nieces, in a truly feminist fashion, should be able to play with any set they want, yadda yadda, doesn't have to be female-oriented.

I guess also I think this particular set is a little boring, too. I wish they had made it a little more fun. I like it's core raison d'etre.

Yeah, last year I got them both a train set. But this year my budget is a tad more limited. Ah well, I have some time to think about it.

NeonPunctuation
Nov 1, 2017
Lego Train guy here....I dont know if anyone has posted this train resource, so I'll post it. http://brickmodelrailroader.com/ The site aims to be a replacement for RailBrick. It's interesting though sometimes it feels like a way for Cale to toot his own horn. Also, for the non purist Lego train people, BrickTracks, https://www.bricktracks.com/, is a good alternative to the colossal failure Me Models track has become.

Shawn
Feb 6, 2003

I yiffed two people at once and all I got was laughed at.
I never actually saw research institute in the wild, so I wouldn't be surprised if the print run on this one is low too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Research institute sold out instantly on all online stores though and you can still order it on shop.lego.com. So either demand is low or they manufactured a ton of them.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."
Picked it up at Lego store at lunch in Chicago. They had tons on the shelf.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

NeonPunctuation posted:

Lego Train guy here....I dont know if anyone has posted this train resource, so I'll post it. http://brickmodelrailroader.com/ The site aims to be a replacement for RailBrick. It's interesting though sometimes it feels like a way for Cale to toot his own horn. Also, for the non purist Lego train people, BrickTracks, https://www.bricktracks.com/, is a good alternative to the colossal failure Me Models track has become.

Oh my gosh I yearn for something like that Blue Comet. I would pay a lot for a really classic Lego train. (classic train, that is, modern Lego standards of quality and parts.)

Fart.Bleed.Repeat.
Sep 29, 2001

uXs posted:

Thoughts?

Do they already have any other Friends or other sets or is this a first foray into Legoland? My own girl is 9 and has a ton of Friends, so I could totally see her doing it the "right" way once and then using the figures and props when she's playing with other sets. if it's a first set then I'd probably look at some other sets or something else completely

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

xzzy posted:

Research institute sold out instantly on all online stores though and you can still order it on shop.lego.com. So either demand is low or they manufactured a ton of them.

It’s “#1 Best Seller in Toys & Games” on Amazon.com, but I don’t know how much that counts for.

#2 is Tickle Me Elmo.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I hate when plan starts to come together and when it comes time to source parts in the right color, it doesn't exist. :negative:

(it's the grey part at the top of the wheel wells, brick 52107. Lego doesn't make them in blue. No 1x1 or 1x4 variants either)

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalo...d%5D#T=S&C=7&O={%22color%22:%227%22,%22iconly%22:0}

If you stagger these, that top tile would hold them together. It's not perfect. It would be very fragile, but it seems like it would work.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
I don't know what color scheme you're going for, but I like that blue and grey.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I think the recess on those means it won't work. I'd use the one stud variant if I went down that route.

I really wanted to copy the wheel well techniques they used on the caterham but I just couldn't get things to line up cleanly.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
You could also hide a 1x2 brick with headlights on each side behind a blue one. That might work?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waltzing Along posted:

You could also hide a 1x2 brick with headlights on each side behind a blue one. That might work?

Yeah, that's pretty clever. Probably the most stable with the bricks that exist.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Or how about this because who doesn't love rocket engines sticking out the side of their truck??

(I left the tile off so you can see what I did)

It's one each of:

+ +

The headlight brick was almost perfect because the extra stud on the back of the blue brick slots right into the back of it, but the headlight doesn't quite fit a 1x1 hole so I opted for the technic piece.

Ineptitude
Mar 2, 2010

Heed my words and become a master of the Heart (of Thorns).

I loved these as a kid. Its like the universal piece for any kind of gadget, tool, weapon, spaceship gun, etc. A shame they stopped (?) using them.
Also acts as a decent SNOT piece.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

xzzy posted:

Or how about this because who doesn't love rocket engines sticking out the side of their truck??

(I left the tile off so you can see what I did)

It's one each of:

+ +

The headlight brick was almost perfect because the extra stud on the back of the blue brick slots right into the back of it, but the headlight doesn't quite fit a 1x1 hole so I opted for the technic piece.
Things would be so much easier if this connection was legal. LEGO needs to make a 1 x 1 brick with just an antistud.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Ineptitude posted:

I loved these as a kid. Its like the universal piece for any kind of gadget, tool, weapon, spaceship gun, etc. A shame they stopped (?) using them.
Also acts as a decent SNOT piece.

I've never been able to figure them out.. they aren't a standard brick height and I'm not sure why lego did that.

The stud on the back end (opposite the nozzle) is an endless source of frustration.

But if you need to stick some laser turrets or rocket engines on something, they're perfect.