Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

There are so many reasons I love Fender designs more than Gibson, but Leo's obsessive belief that everything should take all reasonable abuse and be easily repairable in the case of most unreasonable abuse is really high on the list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

Same. Every company that based themselves on his ideas and philosophies ended up being my favorites.

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
Guitars are meant to be played in an unpredictable live environment. If you don't design your guitar to withstand some rock and roll abuse, you're doing it wrong.

Nevermind that over the past 10 years I gigged this guitar maybe 6 times and for the past 5 years or so it's done nothing but studio work.

Gringostar
Nov 12, 2016
Morbid Hound

H13 posted:

Guitars are meant to be played in an unpredictable live environment. If you don't design your guitar to withstand some rock and roll abuse, you're doing it wrong.

Nevermind that over the past 10 years I gigged this guitar maybe 6 times and for the past 5 years or so it's done nothing but studio work.

ive never gigged my strat and probably never will

gently caress gibson

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe
I mean the other guitars in my collection?

- Yamaha AES620 - Les Paul clone. Chunky bastard but still going strong and I think has had one setup when I decided I'd have it in open C. Bought it for 700 and it was my first guitar. Got a SD JB in the bridge and it's still possibly my best sounding guitar.

- LTD Explorer - Threw bareknuckles in it. Had one or two setups because I gigged it the most. Bought it for 800 because it had a dent in the back (but hey, for a "live" guitar, that's a big fat meh)

- G&L SL500 Legacy - The Indonesian 700 buck cheapo. It needed a setup when I bought it, but since then has played like butter and I don't think I'd ever do anything to this guitar. I adore the MFD pickups and this thing keeps its tune better than all my other guitars as well.

All my other guitars are 1\4 of the price and have survived better, needed less work and have arguably been better than my "legendary" Gibson Les Paul. I'd argue that the construction of my Les Paul was nicer, but that nicer construction didn't prevent the loving headstock from breaking off.

Juaguocio
Jun 5, 2005

Oh, David...
It seems to be pretty difficult to destroy a Fender. If you watch footage of Pete Townshend or Kurt Cobain smashing their guitars, sometimes the only part that actually breaks is the bolt-on joint.

I remember when I saw Yngwie smash a guitar at the end of his set. He gave his nice scalloped Fender to his tech, grabbed a Squier and destroyed it in like 2 hits, then acted like the whole crowd hadn't seen him switch guitars.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQANhRXDDt0&t=309s

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Modern Gibson makes me so sad. I was considering buying an ‘88 es-175 from a really reputable player and I know it plays like a dream. It was a fantastic price for an instrument that good but I just don’t want another Gibson, at least not one that I can get the same tone from another brand’s guitar and my Ibanez Pm100 does the 175 thing better than most real 175s. There are some guitars that just aren’t easily duplicated sound wise, though, and as much as I really dislike what Gibson has become, my ‘70 L5 is and will probably always be my #1. Things like the Tal Farlow model, the Johnny Smith etc. are also guitars that I will inevitably get at some point in my life but the older the better. I certainly don’t want to have any new ones or have them get any of my money directly. I am selling my 2004 es-175, which was always the plan for that guitar because I bought really low on that one planning on selling higher to make some bucks but it is another example of a modern Gibson that sells for thousands of dollars that is basically unremarkable at best. I still really want that ‘88 175 though...I am really fighting myself on that. Hearing so many of my musical heroes playing 175s makes it hard to not want one even though I logically know that I have a guitar that will give me the same sound that I love to play

Also, fun fact - did you guys know that Gibson is 520 million in debt?

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

70s and 80s Yamahas are my absolute favorite for a Gibson clone. The SG1000 is cooler than an actual SG. FACT!

monolithburger
Sep 7, 2011

Love how it knocks against like 4 other guitars when he picks it up out of the pile :allears:

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

rio posted:

Also, fun fact - did you guys know that Gibson is 520 million in debt?
They are trying to sell the Nashville factory where the hollow body electrics are made to help off set some of that.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
They'll make up for it by introducing 1,400 more Les Paul variants.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's not what gaslighting means you hyperbolic dipshit.
I knew a guy who worked at Gibson and spoke to him a while back, like maybe 2 or 3 years ago. We were talking about guitars in general and costs of manufacturing, etc.

I asked him how much money goes into a Gibson Les Paul, raw material wise. He told me, and I'm not making this up, between $350 - $400 depending on version. That's it. Oh and workers don't spend very many hours on each individual guitar at all.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.
Raw materials are a pretty minor part of the cost of most products, aren't they? I suppose it could be different for guitars since you have so much expensive wood and not a lot in the way of molds/dies/etc.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
350-400 per seems a little high

Killbot
Jun 19, 2003

You know, you kids really ought to stop getting involved with this stuff.
I fell for one of the 1,400 new Les Paul variants.

rickiep00h
Aug 16, 2010

BATDANCE

Anime Reference posted:

Raw materials are a pretty minor part of the cost of most products, aren't they? I suppose it could be different for guitars since you have so much expensive wood and not a lot in the way of molds/dies/etc.

Yep. This is why economies of scale are a thing. It's easier to cover the cost of your widget manufacturing capital (machinery, real estate, administration, labor to an extent) if you make a zillion widgets than if you make five or six. There's no way a 2x12 mahogany board, a 4x4 for the neck, some random electronics, a strip of rosewood, and some fretwire costs anywhere close to $4000.

I mean, there's that scene at the beginning of It Might Get Loud were Jack White makes a lap steel out of a 2x4, four nails, a string, and a pickup. It's not exactly a difficult instrument to make.

Even as an Explorer/LP fanboy, the things are super overpriced, though. I'd never buy a new one, and I'd almost always grab and Epi over a real Gibson.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
If an Epiphone had the same headstock as a Gibson, I totally would too. But drat if they didn't know exactly how to make the smallest change in design have the biggest effect in terms of taking it from looking awesome to looking really, really bad.

rio
Mar 20, 2008

Thumposaurus posted:

They are trying to sell the Nashville factory where the hollow body electrics are made to help off set some of that.

I hate them for that too since I am all about hollows and semi hollows and that is basically the only thing left that I like about Gibson. They are also only supposed to get like 18 million for the sale.

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

Just ordered my first overdrive pedal.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
^ ya done good, friend.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Spatulater bro! posted:

Just ordered my first overdrive pedal.

I'll be very surprised if you don't end up loving it.

I went in for the 18V power supply, too; but I haven't compared it to 9V so maybe someone else can comment on if that changes the headroom/anything.

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Dr. Faustus posted:

I'll be very surprised if you don't end up loving it.

I went in for the 18V power supply, too; but I haven't compared it to 9V so maybe someone else can comment on if that changes the headroom/anything.

Yes it doubles the headroom available which allows for more gain and richer (imo) harmonics.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
That pedal looks delicious and I am wondering if it would be worth grabbing one to use an external effect for my TR-8 and/or Minilogue? I have been really wanting to add some pedal distortion to my 808s and other percussion and it could probably add some nice harmonics to my Minilogue basslines.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
The Brassmaster is alive!

There is a minor signal issue that wasn't there at yesterday's sound test... not entirely sure what the cause is but it should hopefully be quick to narrow down.

So much better than the Big Muff!

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

The Science Goy posted:

The Brassmaster is alive!

There is a minor signal issue that wasn't there at yesterday's sound test... not entirely sure what the cause is but it should hopefully be quick to narrow down.

So much better than the Big Muff!

gently caress. Yes. <3 The Brassmaster is amazing and shockingly complex compared to other fuzz circuits.

I think the word you were looking for re: the Big Muff is 'different.' It is different than the Big Muff. ;)

Spatulater bro!
Aug 19, 2003

Punch! Punch! Punch!

I finally broke down and bought one. Made in Japan, production date August 1984. $120. \m/

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Picked up these for real cheap but haven't gotten the chance to try them out yet

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Pablo Gigante posted:

Picked up these for real cheap but haven't gotten the chance to try them out yet
  • The Soul Food is probably the cheapest Klon Centaur clone available right now (unless you go the DIY route). I actually like it better than the original because it doesn't take that much space and way cheaper (I paid like 200 bucks for the original like 16 years ago). It's pretty loving badass.
  • The Small Clone is a splotchy-rear end Chorus. I say that in the best way. Haven't tried any of the Nano / Neo clone, but if it's anything like the old chunky one, you got a keeper.
Electro-Harmonix makes awesome pedals for cheapo.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

I've got both of those, and they're great. The Neo Clone is an identical circuit to the Small Clone, just in a mini enclosure (not at all like the Nano Clone, which omits the depth switch and sounds terrible). My Neo does have a pretty loud pop when engaging for the first time in a while, and it's not at all a subtle chorus (only having two depth settings does that), but it's great at what it does. If you want that Come As You Are sound, that's pure Small/Neo Clone.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

From the videos I saw you can get a pretty decent range of sounds out of the Neo Clone, from super warbly all the way down to a nice Leslie-type sound. I am a big Nirvana fan too though so I can't say that wasn't a factor. And yeah, EHX makes pretty great pedals in general

Dang It Bhabhi!
May 27, 2004

ASK ME ABOUT
BEING
ESCULA GRIND'S
#1 SIMP

Bass contour mod for the Soul Food is really good. The diode mod is more subtle and a “might as well do it while I’m in here” mod. Best value in a Klon derivative there is.

betterinsodapop
Apr 4, 2004

64:3
Just bought some fuckin compressor: HBE ComPressor Retro.

Decayed
Dec 30, 2004

Shang-a-lang
Fun Shoe
Ed O'Brien Strat.

Having so much fun with that sustainer.

MrSargent
Dec 23, 2003

Sometimes, there's a man, well, he's the man for his time and place. He fits right in there. And that's Jimmy T.
That is a beautiful Strat! Congrats.

GreatGreen
Jul 3, 2007
That's a great strat. I've always wanted a guitar with a Fernandez Sustainer kit. They're amazingly fun.

Gom Jabbar
Oct 3, 2005
The high-handed enemy
Just picked up my first guitar for my birthday. Wife has no clue how lovely I am going to sound.

BDA
Dec 10, 2007

Extremely grim and evil.

Gom Jabbar posted:

Just picked up my first guitar for my birthday. Wife has no clue how lovely I am going to sound.

Congrats, it's a beauty. You won't outgrow that any time soon.

The Science Goy
Mar 27, 2007

Where did you learn to drive?
I wish I still had my Schecter Stiletto, it was a great bass :(

I found a used Boss LS-2 line selector yesterday so now I don't have to build one!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've used a Schecter ATX for the better part of 9 years for all my C# / Drop B needs. I've gone back and forth between leaving the Fishman Fluences I got last year and putting back the Seymour Duncan Blackouts that came with the thing. Thinking back on it, it was my first guitar with Active Pickups and with a "baseball bat"-like feel to the neck. Funnily enough, I used to have a Les Paul Custom, but the neck never felt all that fat.