Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tetrapyloctomy
Feb 18, 2003

Okay -- you talk WAY too fast.
Nap Ghost

Bird in a Blender posted:

Remote meaning you have an inline fan connected to the exhaust duct right? I would think you could get a replacement motor without having to change the whole fan or hood. Could you take a picture?

Not any helpful ones, really. This is the enclosure:

That Romex terminates in a female four-pin connector, and on the inside of that sheet metal housing is MORE sheet metal, with the male four-pin connector sticking out of it. I would estimate approximately zero chance of this thing being legal, and I'd like a legitimate replacement instead of a fire hazard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glynnenstein
Feb 18, 2014

Duct tape on ducts is the first sign that someone doesn't know what they're doing.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Coasterphreak posted:

Why would you call the property manager? If kids are throwing rocks in such a way that it might cause property damage, you call the cops to come scare the poo poo out of them.

The cops do not give one single solitary gently caress. They respond to nuisance calls with a drive by and shrug.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Liquid Communism posted:

They respond to nuisance calls with a drive by
I heard about your gun crazy cops but I didn't think it went that far.

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

glynnenstein posted:

Duct tape on ducts is the first sign that someone doesn't know what they're doing.

:psyduck: tape

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.

HycoCam posted:

Does the notarized letter specifically state the neighbor has limited use of the strip of land to prevent it being seized through adverse possession?

i.e. Give written permission to someone to use your land, and get their written acknowledgement. For example, you could give someone permission to park on your land, use a shortcut across your property, or to garden or grow crops. This can not only defeat adverse possession claims, but also a claim to an easement (use permit) across your property.

https://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/adverse-possession-trespassers-become-owners-46934.html

I've had issues with wells being drilled on my land and had to setup $1 lifetime leases to ensure the land doesn't get taken when the offending neighbor sells their property. Things like not have a well or a driveway when you are trying to sell can scare off potential buyers. And if the person selling isn't the neighbor you got along with great (bank or heir, for example)--people can try to pull some slimy crap.

Yeah, it's written specifically to prevent adverse possession and easement issues. The neighbor in question is given written permission to use that strip of land in its current state (i.e. as a driveway and only as a driveway--they can't expand it or build anything else) up to and until I decide they don't. Adverse possession in MT can take as little as 5 years so getting that encroachment agreement was part of my conditions for purchasing the house.

Basically, I can do this at any time:

The Twinkie Czar posted:

gently caress it, it's time to get serious.

And if they don't start picking up after their dog, I will. The dog's cute, but his massive loving dumps on my back lawn are not.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

tetrapyloctomy posted:

Hood vent question related to crappy construction: Our range hood is a remote unit, and never really worked -- just one more thing on the to-do list. As it turns out, the guy who renovated the place built an enclosure and wired up a motor in a totally non-standard fashion, which is likely why it failed. Are there remote hood motors that are not paired with specific hoods, or am I going to have to replace the entire range hood?

The in-line fans are in no way part of the hood. They're a generic kinda thing where you just need to match duct sizing and fan capacity.

You might even be able to just replace the motor.

e: JFC, get that duct tape off of there and buy a roll of aluminum tape.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Coasterphreak posted:

Why would you call the property manager? If kids are throwing rocks in such a way that it might cause property damage, you call the cops to come scare the poo poo out of them.

If kids are misbehaving the first instinct in a functioning society should be to go and tell the loving kids to knock it off.

Like if that doesn't work or if you genuinely feel you'd be in danger doing so, OK, but we have this unfortunate tendency these days to resort to authority rather than do anything remotely resembling a confrontation and that's really unsustainable.

It's the same deal with all these things about people's misbehaving neighbors. If you can get onto basic speaking terms with your neighbors from the get-go, then it's not a huge transgression or major imposition to ask them nicely to please stop [leaving their dog's poo poo on your yard/knocking into your fence post/trimming your tree without telling you/etc.] You resort to letters and cops and HOAs and poo poo as a last resort, not a first resort, and you'll find yourself living in a much happier neighborhood.

Phanatic
Mar 13, 2007

Please don't forget that I am an extremely racist idiot who also has terrible opinions about the Culture series.

Liquid Communism posted:

The cops do not give one single solitary gently caress. They respond to nuisance calls with a drive by and shrug.

What can a property manager do about kids throwing rocks? He'll call the cops.

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

maybe ask them to stop, or talk to their parents if their parents live there and ask them to stop

Like when I was a kid we threw rocks at each other from across the street as a game, until someone yelled at us to stop and then we stopped.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Slightly related to crappy construction and trying to save it: if you have a kidde fire extinguisher you may want to check out the recall of over 40 million of them: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and .

We bought all our fire extinguishers for the house from Menards and every one was part of it.

Yea, I just finished filling that out.. getting 3 new ones shipped to me.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Motronic posted:

The in-line fans are in no way part of the hood. They're a generic kinda thing where you just need to match duct sizing and fan capacity.

You might even be able to just replace the motor.

I ended up doing this with a bathroom fan. I just bought a model from the same manufacturer and took the old motor out and put the new motor in, worked fine. Way easier than having to cut the mounting rails due to the dumb rear end way it was mounted in the attic.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

коммунизм хранится в яичках

Phanatic posted:

What can a property manager do about kids throwing rocks? He'll call the cops.

Call the cops with some idea of who the kids belong to, yeah.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
What state? In Texas that's probably grounds for a legal execution defensive shooting

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

glynnenstein posted:

I used some to cover a couple screw holes on my ducts. :sigh:

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

Javid posted:

What state? In Texas that's probably grounds for a legal execution defensive shooting

don't skip step 1 which is throw rocks back

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/04/factory-owned-grenfell-cladding-manufacturer-catches-fire/

Remember the Grenfell apartment tower that burned in the UK? The factory that produces the cladding caught fire.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

drgitlin posted:

There are a bunch of barrel-roofed townhouses with floor-to-ceiling windows on the top floors (it’s a mid-century development designed by Charles Goodman). Some neighbors have just hung sheets across the lower halves of their windows, it looks absolutely loving hideous. Why would you live in an awesome architectural design if you’re only going to gently caress it up by draping a sheet across it? Just go live in a normal house at that point.

Anyway I wouldn’t worry about them, I have had enough experience being on committees in the past that I’d rather slit my own wrists than serve on another board. And this place has so many old fogies it was a multi-year fight just to get solar panels installed on the flat roofed bits.

I'm getting some real serial killer vibes from this guy who has stalked his neighbours enough to know the name of the guy who made their house, wtf.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

BattleMaster posted:

I'm getting some real serial killer vibes from this guy who has stalked his neighbours enough to know the name of the guy who made their house, wtf.

Hoping that's a joke, because not so much. Many developments were designed by a single architect/architectural group and share common themes and elements. I have forgotten the name, but my last house was one of those.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BattleMaster posted:

It’s the same architect who made all the houses in this coop development. The houses are identical. Did you miss that bit? That’s kind of the point. (Yes, sometimes even normal people can live in houses designed by architects that people have actually heard of.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_M._Goodman

drgitlin fucked around with this message at 12:29 on Nov 5, 2017

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
But you still shouldn't be able to dictate your neighbor's curtains :wtf:

Blindeye
Sep 22, 2006

I can't believe I kissed you!

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

But you still shouldn't be able to dictate your neighbor's curtains :wtf:

Could be leaks, could be intentional to rattle cages and get people to cooperate. Hard to say but the Mueller team's discipline has been good so far.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011

TehRedWheelbarrow
Mar 16, 2011

Fan of Britches
:frog:

indeed.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

Slightly related to crappy construction and trying to save it: if you have a kidde fire extinguisher you may want to check out the recall of over 40 million of them: https://www.cpsc.gov/Recalls/2017/kidde-recalls-fire-extinguishers-with-plastic-handles-due-to-failure-to-discharge-and .

We bought all our fire extinguishers for the house from Menards and every one was part of it.

Damnit. Both of mine are also part of that. Glad I saw this though, I would have had no clue otherwise.

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

drat, I got one, and I know we use Kiddes in a lot of our locations at work. Thanks for the heads up.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Harry Potter on Ice posted:

don't skip step 1 which is throw rocks back
bullets are a kind of rock

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
I think this is wrong guys,

click for bigger.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Lime Tonics posted:

click for bigger.

No it's fine. There's a second 2x4 for redundancy.

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Why do those roots look like they're made of plastic?

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Because they're plastic piping and not roots? :v:

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
ugh I thought it was a simpsons joke but I guess it was family guy but at least it was the first season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc7wIgaZbio

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

moist turtleneck posted:

ugh I thought it was a simpsons joke but I guess it was family guy but at least it was the first season

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zc7wIgaZbio

I don't understand this video.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

the yellow makes me wonder if it's a gas line

ExplodingSims
Aug 17, 2010

RAGDOLL
FLIPPIN IN A MOVIE
HOT DAMN
THINK I MADE A POOPIE

Lime Tonics posted:

click for bigger.

No kidding, that lineset/wiring run to the condenser is awful!

And there doesn't appear to be any pad under it either. Shameful.

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

glynnenstein posted:

Well, what's *duct tape* for, then, if not ducts? I mean, it's right there in the *name*, smarty pants.

I'm being sarcastic, just for the record.

`Nemesis posted:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/11/04/factory-owned-grenfell-cladding-manufacturer-catches-fire/

Remember the Grenfell apartment tower that burned in the UK? The factory that produces the cladding caught fire.

Karma is indeed a bitch.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Darchangel posted:

Karma is indeed a bitch.

Is it, though? Aren't they the ones that said that product should never have been used with that building? Also, wasn't it a building supplier that sold them and not the factory itself?

I got no dog in this race, but I would think if karma were to strike it should be the building supply company that actually sold the product knowing where it was going to be used just so they could low bid and win.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

brugroffil posted:

the yellow makes me wonder if it's a gas line

It most likely is. That should be supported.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
that's not karma at all

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I'm in the process of redoing my basement, half of it was "finished", and the other half is a utility area. I'm just working on the finished side. It was old musty carpet, with wood paneling on two sides and drywall on the other. Always fun finding the crappy construction from previous owners.

There's one part of my basement that has a small door in it that leads to a small crawl space, this part of the wall had some plywood on it with a 2'x2' door in the middle, if that makes any sense. The plywood was just screwed onto the framing, so I figured this will be no problem to remove. Well I take off one piece and find three other smaller pieces patched in behind it and that's nailed on. I start pulling that off and I find that they just shoved some random scrap behind that and nailed that to even more plywood. Best I can tell is that one side was not even, so they just kept shoving in "shims" of scrap behind the plywood to try and make everything flush. Not the worst thing in the world, but definitely evidence of the previous owner just getting lazy and or cheap and just doing something to make it work. I should have taken a picture.