Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

khwarezm posted:

*Ahem*, 21?!

#21: waifu

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
There's absolutely no clear indication of how 17 and 18 work because Toriyama didn't think about it and doesn't care

My going theory has always been he didn't even plan for them to be organic at all until he wrote the chapter with the reveal

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe Gero's medical degree is a sham and he just somehow used the Super Dragon Balls to turn 17 and 18 into powerful android warriors. He's just not a good enough scientist to figure how the hell they work.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Blockhouse posted:

There's absolutely no clear indication of how 17 and 18 work because Toriyama didn't think about it and doesn't care

My going theory has always been he didn't even plan for them to be organic at all until he wrote the chapter with the reveal

he didn't plan on them at all. they got added in after his editor asked him to change it and then that happened again with cell iirc

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I SERIOUSLY want to know what his long term plans for loving Gero and Clown Bot were.

Like was Gero going to get a new form, or was it going to be super young punk Gohan VS Aged Elder Gero

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

his final form would have been the brain robot from world's strongest

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Manatee Cannon posted:

he didn't plan on them at all. they got added in after his editor asked him to change it and then that happened again with cell iirc

it wasn't even his editor, it was an ex-editor! Someone with no power over him! He's just that much of a doormat.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Funky Valentine posted:

#18: robot woman...BUT WITH INTACT VAGINA

Considering that 18 used to be an ordinary human it would honestly be way more horrible if she *didn't* still have those parts. Dr. Gero may have been a merciless killer who turned people into science projects, but at least he didn't get all creepy about it.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

Blockhouse posted:

it wasn't even his editor, it was an ex-editor! Someone with no power over him! He's just that much of a doormat.

He might have, like, agreed with them :shrug:

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wish I could be inside Toriyama's brain space for that moment.

Like what was his end game there before he just made the trio of teens and then the horrible monster

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

are you trying to tell me that 16 is supposed to be a teenager

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Fun fact: in the original Japanese printing of the manga chapter where Trunks tells Goku about the future, he straight up says that 19 and 20 were the androids he's been fighting. IIRC this was changed in later printings.

That's how late the changes to the story were happening.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Nov 8, 2017

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Manatee Cannon posted:

are you trying to tell me that 16 is supposed to be a teenager

Look

A teenager in Dragon Ball is anything from TEEN (11 year old, 12 at the most) GOHAN, to the Androids, to Goku at the end of Dragon Ball, to Goten and Trunks right the gently caress now seriously they're like 15 years old what the poo poo

Age is meaningless

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Burkion posted:

I wish I could be inside Toriyama's brain space for that moment.

Like what was his end game there before he just made the trio of teens and then the horrible monster

It was his editor. 19 and 20 were originally supposed to be the big bads of that arc but his editor was like "a fat clown and an old guy? Really?" So he made 16 17 and 18 but his editor still wasn't impressed so he said gently caress it and made a bug man.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
It was his *former* editor. He had no official input but Toriyama just valued the dude's opinions and went 'okay let's change it'

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

TrilliontonNixon posted:

It was his editor. 19 and 20 were originally supposed to be the big bads of that arc but his editor was like "a fat clown and an old guy? Really?" So he made 16 17 and 18 but his editor still wasn't impressed so he said gently caress it and made a bug man.
I unironically liked 19 and 20's designs more than 17 or 18's.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

"toriyama make me a new villain"

"no, that sucks. give me a better one."

"you can do better than that, come on"

"keep going"

"better, dammit!"

"Perfect."

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
19 and 20 were legit cool and different - and so was everything up to Perfect Cell really.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Android questions can be summed up as "He did science to them so now they're special" or possibly just "nanomachines, son."

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Armstrong vs. 16, who wins?

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Sucks that Cell basically starts sucking the moment he eats 17.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It's super fitting that the Freeza Cell fusion is basically just Freeza wearing Cell themed armor.

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Funky Valentine posted:

Sucks that Cell basically starts sucking the moment he eats 17.

Yup. He loses everything that made Imperfect Cell unique and interesting and becomes Arrogant Dragon Ball Villain #35. Dude reaches his ultimate form and spends a solid week dozing in the middle of nowhere.

Bushmaori
Mar 8, 2009

TrilliontonNixon posted:

Yup. He loses everything that made Imperfect Cell unique and interesting and becomes Arrogant Dragon Ball Villain #35. Dude reaches his ultimate form and spends a solid week dozing in the middle of nowhere.

What would you do if you attained perfection?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I love the OST that played when Jiren was wailing on Blue Goku and then again when Kefla made her entrance this week. Are there any good rips of it yet?

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Armstrong vs. 16, who wins?

16. I don't think Armstrong has blown up an island under his own power.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Perfect Cell is awesome. His appearance and (dub) voice are great!

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Perfect Cell is awesome. His appearance and (dub) voice are great!

are you implying that wakamoto isn't great?

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Augus posted:

are you implying that wakamoto isn't great?

I love Wakamoto and am not that much of a fan of the American dub but playing Xenoverse makes it obvious how much Damien Clarke loves being Cell and he puts so much emotion into it that I can't help but be happy when I hear him. That he gets the best lines only helps.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Perfect Cell is only good in the games where they play his self obsession as a joke, probably influenced by DZA.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

what about in the other games where he sounds like Imperfect Cell because of the way the Japanese audio files were set up

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Burkion posted:

I SERIOUSLY want to know what his long term plans for loving Gero and Clown Bot were.

Like was Gero going to get a new form, or was it going to be super young punk Gohan VS Aged Elder Gero

If I remember correctly, Toriyama has admitted that his planning at that point consisted of "I have no idea what's going to be in the next page, much less the next chapter or the next volume" style writing. It wouldn't surprise me whatsoever to learn that he didn't have any idea where to go with them until he moved to the next chapter and whipped it up from there.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
And yet, the escalation and plotting and character moments of the Android/Cell saga is easily my favorite.

I see why he’s called the best.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
I preferred the insanity of the Buu saga myself, where there were more and more powerups and fusions and plans that just didn't work and the finally capped it off with one of Goku's oldest techniques.

Burkion
May 10, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Kurui Reiten posted:

If I remember correctly, Toriyama has admitted that his planning at that point consisted of "I have no idea what's going to be in the next page, much less the next chapter or the next volume" style writing. It wouldn't surprise me whatsoever to learn that he didn't have any idea where to go with them until he moved to the next chapter and whipped it up from there.

It's fascinating to consider though

Unlike with Cell, Gero would have ZERO inclination to start his own tournament.

Gohan hadn't yet broken SSJ either and would be a huge X factor. Assuming that Gohan taking Goku's place was still in his head since that was one of the few on going and building plotlines from his introduction, it would have pitted him against a much different kind of enemy.

I could see Gero upgrading his mechanical body over the storyline, negating ki abilities all together. Gero would have made for a very cool villain too with a very unique personality.

Could definitely do a Youth VS Age thing with him and Gohan and Gero has revenge against Goku and his progeny.

I'd say you could revisit Eighter, but frankly that's not how Toriyama works or worked. He likely wouldn't have remembered Eighter what so ever.

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

Pureauthor posted:

I preferred the insanity of the Buu saga myself, where there were more and more powerups and fusions and plans that just didn't work and the finally capped it off with one of Goku's oldest techniques.

Patting Buu on the crotch to discern his gender was truly the pinnacle of DBZ.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I wonder if Zeno is just a portrayal of the entire fanbase. All he does is repeat each other saying how cool goku and the saiyans are, and breaks their own rules in the tournament because "it looked cool"

Kurui Reiten
Apr 24, 2010

You know in a few years though they'll be jaded as gently caress and whining about how Super Saiyan 4 Super Saiyan Vegito should be able to totally trounce Muy Cell Dorado (The World) in one hit, because power levels.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

where's all-chan's gigantic flowchart and frantic scribblings about how it just doesn't add up

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Kurui Reiten posted:

You know in a few years though they'll be jaded as gently caress and whining about how Super Saiyan 4 Super Saiyan Vegito should be able to totally trounce Muy Cell Dorado (The World) in one hit, because power levels.

And then he starts supporting fighters for irony value, continually adjusting the rules mid-bout until the final round is a showdown between Mr. Satan and Monaka.

Or just Monaka.