Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

What? Kale is introduced as being Broly. Her power is always maximum, she just learns to control and focus it.
Wait, my bad. I meant to say Caulifla, not Kale.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

It's probably because Jiren was built up to be exceedingly strong before we even met him, while Kale keeps reaching new heights of power without trying after her introduction.

On a side note, I wonder what it's like to be so insecure about liking a character that you have to resort to "People don't like her because of her vagina!" as an excuse. It certainly can't be because she's poorly written and just an obnoxious character, no sir.

It's probably the fact that if you actually look at people complaining none of their criticisms are all that great/make sense. Like, yours honestly doesn't make any sense at all. Kale hasn't really gotten more powerful since she went Broly

E: oh, well in that case what are your opinions on Goku doing quite literally the same kind of thing all throughout the series?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Wait, my bad. I meant to say Caulifla, not Kale.

What? Caulifla has made exactly two leaps in power: She learned Super Saiyan (from Cabba, who learned it just as quickly from Vegeta) and she reaches Super Sayian 2 accidentally while fighting Kale and then on purpose once Goku showed her how it was done.

If you're going to argue that is 'too quickly' then you should remember that Goten and Trunks managed to learn Super Saiyan 3 on their own after seeing Goku do it once and Gohan reached Super Saiyan 2 while training with Goku by accident and Goku was just trying to force him to bring it out again.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

What? Caulifla has made exactly two leaps in power: She learned Super Saiyan (from Cabba, who learned it just as quickly from Vegeta) and she reaches Super Sayian 2 accidentally while fighting Kale and then on purpose once Goku showed her how it was done.

If you're going to argue that is 'too quickly' then you should remember that Goten and Trunks managed to learn Super Saiyan 3 on their own after seeing Goku do it once.
Yeah, and it was lovely when Cabba, Goten, and Trunks did it too. Do people even like Goten or Trunks? I've never seen people talk positively about them. And even with Goten and Trunks, they never went Super Saiyan 2 by accident, nor did they go from base, to Super Saiyan, to Super Saiyan 2 in less than an hour.

Saagonsa posted:

E: oh, well in that case what are your opinions on Goku doing quite literally the same kind of thing all throughout the series?
Ah yes, I remember that time Goku when Super Saiyan 2 within an hour after learning Super Saiyan was a thing.

Oh wait.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

ImpAtom posted:

If you're going to argue that is 'too quickly' then you should remember that Goten and Trunks managed to learn Super Saiyan 3 on their own after seeing Goku do it once and Gohan reached Super Saiyan 2 while training with Goku by accident and Goku was just trying to force him to bring it out again.

I mean seriously, Goten literally has been able to go super saiyan since before he can even remember before he had been trained at all

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Yeah, and it was lovely when Cabba, Goten, and Trunks did it too. Do people even like Goten or Trunks? I've never seen people talk positively about them. And even with Goten and Trunks, they never went Super Saiyan 2 by accident, nor did they go from base, to Super Saiyan, to Super Saiyan 2 in less than an hour.

Ah yes, I remember that time Goku when Super Saiyan 2 within an hour after learning Super Saiyan was a thing.

Oh wait.

Again, Goten is pretty seriously implied to be a baby or at most a toddler when he goes super saiyan. The reason people don't talk about Goten or Trunks much is because they haven't really had an opportunity to do much. The way Super is making characters relevant again though I wouldn't be surprised if they showed up as an arc focus

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

You can go "it's lovely" all you want but at this point it's an established part of the franchise that Super Saiyan is not actually that hard to reach once you know it exists. Why should Caulifla be any different from the other characters who it was already established for? Why is she different? If she couldn't go Super Saiyan then wouldn't people be asking "Why can Goten and Trunks transform so easily and not her?!"

You know who did go Super Saiyan 2 by accident? Gohan. Who had it happen while training with his father. Which is how Goku knew it even existed. Again, something established in-series. We never saw Goku go Super Saiyan 2 but considering he learned it AND 3 offscreen in the afterlife it's a bit much to say that it was a struggle for him for sure. Remember that SS2 wasn't hard for Gohan to reach. Gohan just didn't want to unleash his full power because of his own issues. Nobody else has shown a serious struggle to reach SS2 once they are aware it can be done.

You can complain if you want about the Super Saiyan form becoming a bargain bin toy and that's fine, but that ain't Caulifla. That is literally every Saiyan.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I remember the time Vegeta suddenly became a Super Saiyan by crying a lot after he discovered it was a thing, yes.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Tbf up until Super the only Super Saiyans were all in Goku and Vegeta's family.

Also two of them were conceived when Goku and Vegeta were close to attaining it already, and DBZ loving loves Lamarckism

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

On a side note, I wonder what it's like to be so insecure about liking a character that you have to resort to "People don't like her because of her vagina!" as an excuse. It certainly can't be because she's poorly written and just an obnoxious character, no sir.

The reason this comes up is because it's usually pretty drat obvious that female characters get more harshly criticized for doing effectively the same thing than their male counterparts. Like, for example, is Caulifla really more obnoxious than someone like Vegeta and his endless egotistical swaggering? Not really, and everyone accepted that as just a part of his character and moved on, but I remember after Caulifla did some similar trash talking after meeting Goku for the first time and there were a silly number of people on places like Reddit who kept mentioning it like a month later and how they hoped Vegeta (of course) would put her in her place. It's pretty obvious what was going on there.

On a side note this whole series is kind of built on bullshit powerups so I can't really say I care that much anymore. For me the worst one is Goku doing pressups in high gravity for a single week and being able to take on the whole Ginyu force and then final form Frieza.

khwarezm fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Nov 9, 2017

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Goten and Trunks went Super Saiyan without instruction as tiny baby children for no reason. That invalidates any complaint about Caulifla/Kale/Cabba

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Glagha posted:

Goten and Trunks went Super Saiyan without instruction as tiny baby children for no reason. That invalidates any complaint about Caulifla/Kale/Cabba

Power in DBZ is literally inherited, for Saiyans at least

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER
What if you didn't like Goten and Trunks? Probably fair to say most people don't, and that the girls won't turn out as irrelevant as them.

oh oops, I should read harder

Justin_Brett fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 9, 2017

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

ImpAtom posted:

You can go "it's lovely" all you want but at this point it's an established part of the franchise that Super Saiyan is not actually that hard to reach once you know it exists. Why should Caulifla be any different from the other characters who it was already established for? Why is she different? If she couldn't go Super Saiyan then wouldn't people be asking "Why can Goten and Trunks transform so easily and not her?!"

You know who did go Super Saiyan 2 by accident? Gohan. Who had it happen while training with his father. Which is how Goku knew it even existed. Again, something established in-series. We never saw Goku go Super Saiyan 2 but considering he learned it AND 3 offscreen in the afterlife it's a bit much to say that it was a struggle for him for sure. Remember that SS2 wasn't hard for Gohan to reach. Gohan just didn't want to unleash his full power because of his own issues. Nobody else has shown a serious struggle to reach SS2 once they are aware it can be done.

You can complain if you want about the Super Saiyan form becoming a bargain bin toy and that's fine, but that ain't Caulifla. That is literally every Saiyan.

I remember the time Vegeta suddenly became a Super Saiyan by crying a lot after he discovered it was a thing, yes.
I guess it's just when it happened with Goku, it was at the pinnacle of a lovely situation, when his anger reached its peak. His best friend was just blown up in front of his face, and he was just going ballistic with rage, before exploding into a new form. Now anyone can just go Super Saiyan at a whim, and it's poo poo. And I never once said that only Caulifla was like this, I've pointed out how lovely it was for Goten, Trunks, and Cabba too. I also don't remember Gohan going Super Saiyan 2 until Android 16 was killed, but it's also been a very long time since I watched that saga.

And wasn't Vegeta training extensively for weeks or months to try and reach Goku's level and go Super Saiyan? I distinctly remember him training in space or something.

khwarezm posted:

The reason this comes up is because it's usually pretty drat obvious that female characters get more harshly criticized for doing effectively the same thing than their male counterparts. Like, for example, is Caulifla really more obnoxious than someone like Vegeta and his endless egotistical swaggering? Not really, and everyone accepted that as just a part of his character and moved on, but I remember after Caulifla did some similar trash talking after meeting Goku for the first time and there were a silly number of people on places like Reddit who kept mentioning it like a month later and how they hoped Vegeta (of course) would put her in her place. It's pretty obvious what was going on there.
Yeah, Vegeta's endless pride is annoying too. That's why I always find it funny whenever Goku reaches some new form before him and pisses him off. But there's more to Vegeta than just "a cocky prick", so I still like him as a character.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Caulifla is literally girl Goku with a slightly more abrasive attitude. She goes around "hey let's fight I'm gonna beat you up" and everyone gets really bent out of shape.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

U6 learning Super Saiyan because of Vegeta's teachings being spread and further developed is actually cool and good. It honestly highlights his own growth in a good way while allowing the U6 trio to still be their own characters.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I never got the power complaints about Caulifla and Kale. Like what would be the point of introducing new characters this late in the game if they're going to be about as useful in a fight as Krillin? Just accept the fact that these people are strong as gently caress in this series about strong as gently caress people fighting.

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

I'm also deeply afraid of being beat up by a girl.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

CharlestonJew posted:

I never got the power complaints about Caulifla and Kale. Like what would be the point of introducing new characters this late in the game if they're going to be about as useful in a fight as Krillin? Just accept the fact that these people are strong as gently caress in this series about strong as gently caress people fighting.
I honestly would mind it a lot less if they started out that strong. If the U6 Saiyans already knew about Super Saiyan forms, even Super Saiyan 2, I wouldn't mind it a bit.

Glagha posted:

Caulifla is literally girl Goku with a slightly more abrasive attitude. She goes around "hey let's fight I'm gonna beat you up" and everyone gets really bent out of shape.
Goku's not that cocky or as much of a prick, it's more like friendly competition with him, unless he's facing off against a villain. Not to mention, again, there's more to Goku than his fighting attitude.

Glagha posted:

I'm also deeply afraid of being beat up by a girl.
I knew someone would pull the projection card like that.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.
Reminder, there's a good reason why people call Caulifla 'girl Goku':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=msx52pU9GY8

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Goku's not that cocky or as much of a prick, it's more like friendly competition with him, unless he's facing off against a villain. Not to mention, again, there's more to Goku than his fighting attitude.

that might be because Caulifla didn't get dropped on her head as a baby. I think

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

Goku likes eating lots of food too.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Goku has black hair, it's like they're twins guys.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I honestly would mind it a lot less if they started out that strong. If the U6 Saiyans already knew about Super Saiyan forms, even Super Saiyan 2, I wouldn't mind it a bit.

I knew someone would pull the projection card like that.

Goku, the guy who literally hired Hit to see if he could literally kill him, is not cocky. OK dude.

The guy who gave Cell a senzu bean because he knew his kid would murder him.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
Caulifla can't be girl Goku

She likes girls and Goku doesn't

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

Pan went Super Saiyan in utero, Bra was conceived with a God, Marron is nanomachines and Cauli is long goddamn overdue and anyone saying otherwise can suck the poo poo out of my rear end in a top hat, get hosed

Glagha
Oct 13, 2008

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA
AAAAAAaaAAAaaAAaAA
AAAAAAAaAAAAAaaAAA
AAAA
AaAAaaA
AAaaAAAAaaaAAAAAAA
AaaAaaAAAaaaaaAA

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Goku has black hair, it's like they're twins guys.

No, she has gold hair and that's why people are upset.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Kashuno posted:

Goku, the guy who literally hired Hit to see if he could literally kill him, is not cocky. OK dude.

The guy who gave Cell a senzu bean because he knew his kid would murder him.
Wasn't that to test himself and see if he could survive the assassination? He seemed pretty on edge the entire time before Hit actually reached him.

And that's confidence in someone else, that's hardly being a cocky prick that thinks they're oh-so-powerful.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

ImpAtom posted:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Please. Explain to me how "hiring a guy to see if he can actually kill me" is not a cocky thing to do

Goku's hubris as a mortal causing problems has been a recurring thing in Super, if you haven't gathered.

khwarezm
Oct 26, 2010

Deal with it.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

There's more to her than fighting attitude too, hence her entire relationship with Kale. She's not even that cocky, not at Vegeta levels anyway, she does a bit of trash talking but acts like an excited kid in battle eager to learn from people with more experience.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Kashuno posted:

Please. Explain to me how "hiring a guy to see if he can actually kill me" is not a cocky thing to do
Because he didn't assume he was going to just out and win without and trouble. It was an extreme, and also extremely stupid, way of testing his strength. Not like death means much in this world anyway, but still.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
Guys what would Caulifla's Turles be called

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Kashuno posted:

Considering Super's so far been a chronicle of Goku's midlife crisis that could easily be a suicide attempt that has gone tragically unnoticed

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
Goku's primary motivation is Good Fights. He's fought Hit before, but knows he can only get the Best Possible Fight out of him if he's trying to kill you because Hit takes his job very seriously. Therefore, the route to getting the Best Possible Fight out of Hit is putting a Hit hit out on himself. I don't really see it as cockiness so much as Goku Logic.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Goku learned a legendary technique in moments that took the greatest human warrior of all time his entire life to master.

Dragon Ball has always been stupid about this.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

It's probably because Jiren was built up to be exceedingly strong before we even met him, while Kale Caulifla keeps reaching new heights of power without trying after her introduction.

What?

The entire point of sayians is that they reach new heights of power by fighting, then resting, then fighting some more. And Cabba bought time for her It's been that way forever.

Goku learned and stole everybody's attack after seeing it like once. Goten and Trunks learned how to go SSJ with no help from anyone telling them how to do it.

Also keep in mind Caulifla is still so much weaker than Goku or probably anyone Gohan or stronger. Goku was completely messing around just recovering while having a light spar with Caulifla, until Kale who is the actual strong one got seriously involved.

That is just Dragonball man.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
The last episode made it very clear that of the 3 (goku, kale, and caulifla) that caulifla is by far the weakest link. Goku and Kale are on a whole different level

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Kashuno posted:

The last episode made it very clear that of the 3 (goku, kale, and caulifla) that caulifla is by far the weakest link. Goku and Kale are on a whole different level

Whenever you have 3 Saiyans together, somebody has to be The Vegeta.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

rare Magic card l00k posted:

Whenever you have 3 Saiyans together, somebody has to be The Vegeta.

guess that makes Cabba the Raditz/Nappa of this whole relationship

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait for Caulifla to kill Cabba

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

guess that makes Cabba the Raditz/Nappa of this whole relationship

Cabba is The Piccolo, but the next arc he's involved with will be when he becomes the Raditz/Nappa.

rare Magic card l00k fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Nov 9, 2017