Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Curvature of Earth
Sep 9, 2011

Projected cost of
invading Canada:
$900

WilliamAnderson posted:

While Paul Ryan and Rand Paul seem like the same person, they are in fact two separate entities.

They manage to both be incredibly lovely people in completely different ways!

Captain_Maclaine posted:

HOAs are the domain of the petty tyrants who revel in requiring unreasonable compliance with conformist NIMBY bullshit...

Hey remember that time someone's child almost choked to death on some window blinds, and when the parents tried to replace the blinds with curtains, the resident HOA busybody objected and said "We have to have certain standards in the community"?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mojo1701a
Oct 9, 2008

Oh, yeah. Loud and clear. Emphasis on LOUD!
~ David Lee Roth

Bobby Digital posted:

You might say he got the...Wrong Paul

Kill you're parents neighbours.

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Don't forget to show my shitposts to the people. They're well worth seeing.

Captain_Maclaine posted:

On the one hand, HOAs are the domain of the petty tyrants who revel in requiring unreasonable compliance with conformist NIMBY bullshit, but on the other Rand Paul is an insufferable rear end who's at best only a few steps removed from SovCit nonsense, so I'm calling this one a wash.

HOA boards and Rand Paul deserve each other. Let them take each other to court, and then brick up the doors and windows with them inside.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Goon Danton posted:

HOA boards and Rand Paul deserve each other. Let them take each other to court, and then brick up the doors and windows with them inside.

For the love of God, Goon Danton!

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Yes. For the love of God.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Montressor really was in the right there because Prospero was on his property which means it's entirely OK to brick him into the wall.

theshim
May 1, 2012

You think you can defeat ME, Ephraimcopter?!?

You couldn't even beat Assassincopter!!!
God I love Cask of Amontillado references :allears:

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

OwlFancier posted:

Montressor really was in the right there because Prospero was on his property which means it's entirely OK to brick him into the wall.
It's technically not violating the NAP!

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If he wanted to survive he should have made a better offer for the sovereign air of Montressor's catacombs.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009
Should’ve paid for a better DRO obviously

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
HOA's are not a thing in the UK and that is one thing I am glad of on my rainy fascist island

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

MikeCrotch posted:

HOA's are not a thing in the UK and that is one thing I am glad of on my rainy fascist island

I'm fairly certain they are a thing there in the same situations where they're a thing in the US - master-planned housing developments with all of the original land and houses having been sold by a single developer, who places membership into the deeds. Similarly condominium arrangements for housing will have such associations too, just as here.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

fishmech posted:

I'm fairly certain they are a thing there in the same situations where they're a thing in the US - master-planned housing developments with all of the original land and houses having been sold by a single developer, who places membership into the deeds. Similarly condominium arrangements for housing will have such associations too, just as here.

It's really not a huge thing, but something like it exists on a low-key basis. Here's a PDF from a local council in Scotland on how to set one up for yourselves. Often in London you instead have the function performed by the local council, when they previously owned the building (and can be utter shits about it too, but more bureaucratically, e.g. a friend who bought a flat and a few months later got hit by a bill for thousands of pounds for repairs).

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Stinkier than your average bear
Lipstick Apathy

OwlFancier posted:

Also what is a juicero except possibly a fad diet themed luchador?

it was like a keurig for (ostensibly) juicing pulp in a proprietary bag, with the added feature that it has a QR code which allows the device to use the Internet to look up the expiration date, which is printed on the bag.

it advertised 4 tons of force or something like that, but then journalists discovered you could just squeeze the juice bag with your hands and get more of it out

so i guess they didn't get to go to the goddamn conference for subscription-based products that's happening in SF this week

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

OwlFancier posted:

Also what is a juicero except possibly a fad diet themed luchador?

an incredibly over-engineered bag-squeezer with the advantage of being a weak point in your home's IT security through a totally pointless internet connection

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I used to think that the internet of things was awful bullshit that would never amount to anything worthwhile, but I was proven wrong when Silicon Valley made this:

Caros
May 14, 2008

So this popped up on my feed today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pk6ci1xzxuQ

Psst: His problem is that he doesn't see why the media is making such a big deal out of a senate candidate who sexually assaults children. Because really, what is the age of consent? Amirite?

Goon Danton
May 24, 2012

Caros posted:

Psst: His problem is that he doesn't see why the media is making such a big deal out of a senate candidate who sexually assaults children. Because really, what is the age of consent? Amirite?

Somehow I knew exactly who this was before I clicked. Never change, Stephen, you vicious loving imbecile. :allears:

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I'm mentally replacing every utterance of Republicans with "Meagan"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

And even if what Moore did is wrong, isn't it Moore's mother's fault for hooking up with his dad in the first place?

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

theshim posted:

God I love Cask of Amontillado references :allears:

Oh really? Because I have some more down in my family catacombs. We can go share some if you'd like.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
Do you guys think Montressor went back to the party after he put in that last brick, or was his day just sort of over at that point?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I imagine that wasn't even the first guy he bricked up with that trick that evening.

Probably had time to get 1 or 2 more.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
Missed my chance, but HOAs are exactly the kind of government that libertarianism allows for.

100% contract based.

White Coke
May 29, 2015

Caros posted:

I couldn't even watch four minutes, but it's fascinating to see that even with all three branches of government under conservative control they're still afraid for western civilization.

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!

White Coke posted:

I couldn't even watch four minutes, but it's fascinating to see that even with all three branches of government under conservative control they're still afraid for western civilization.

I mean, as long as you understand what Western Civilization actually means

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
I too would fear for a civilization consisting of nothing but lawmen, bandits, and put upon barkeeps.

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW
It's just got no hope at all of stability.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.

paragon1 posted:

Do you guys think Montressor went back to the party after he put in that last brick, or was his day just sort of over at that point?

From the context of the story, it's suggested that he was done for the day after that, and that Fortunato was the only person he'd killed that way.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Guys I need the classic posts about living in the glorious libertarian utopia, the one with beheading a Verizon man and glass shards in Oj

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

BENGHAZI 2 posted:

Guys I need the classic posts about living in the glorious libertarian utopia, the one with beheading a Verizon man and glass shards in Oj

https://imgur.com/a/cxFT5

Stinky_Pete
Aug 16, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I can't find the drat chicory one anymore. Maybe I should refine it

Don't mind me, i'm just progressively editing this post as an outline

Morning
- Chicory
- Slave girl
- Rumbling tank shifts bowels
- poo poo-b-gone
- stop by neighbor's burning house for warmth house
- dribbling hose
- relief, freedom isn't free

Commute
- gold cubes in the toll road bin
- gladiator pit
- deagles
- late for work, chewed out by boss
- rejection of monopoly of force (or is that later?)
- store
- i paid extra last month, you know?
- beheading

Back Home
- pet tiger ate neighbor child or dog
- self-defense of home with kill booth
- war circle
- tiger casually kills someone else

Cave
- post office worker

Stinky_Pete fucked around with this message at 02:38 on Nov 17, 2017

Polygynous
Dec 13, 2006
welp
yo

http://welp.gs/~harik/libertopia.html

e: and more and links and stuff: https://drive.google.com/folder/d/0B266OPeGFR5LUjY2OGk1R2tfUFk/edit

Polygynous fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 17, 2017

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Stinky_Pete posted:

it was like a keurig for (ostensibly) juicing pulp in a proprietary bag, with the added feature that it has a QR code which allows the device to use the Internet to look up the expiration date, which is printed on the bag.

it advertised 4 tons of force or something like that, but then journalists discovered you could just squeeze the juice bag with your hands and get more of it out

so i guess they didn't get to go to the goddamn conference for subscription-based products that's happening in SF this week

I still don't get why people focus on the "you can squeeze it yourself!!" bit. Yeah of course you can, the whole principle of this kind of fake-health-food style of juice is that it must be squeezed only after being diced up into very tiny chunks to preserve the "life force". A toddler can squeeze the juice out of that.

The important thing is that because it needs to "preserve the life force" the bags weren't airtight against the atmosphere and diced food rots pretty quick, so the bags would be full of rotting fruit within less than a week. That's part of why you could only order the juicer and the packs (which cost like $8 per 8 ounce serving by the way) in certain states where they could assure delivery in a certain timeframe, you would otherwise just get it rotted to unusuability.

Raldikuk
Apr 7, 2006

I'm bad with money and I want that meatball!

fishmech posted:

I still don't get why people focus on the "you can squeeze it yourself!!" bit. Yeah of course you can, the whole principle of this kind of fake-health-food style of juice is that it must be squeezed only after being diced up into very tiny chunks to preserve the "life force". A toddler can squeeze the juice out of that.

The important thing is that because it needs to "preserve the life force" the bags weren't airtight against the atmosphere and diced food rots pretty quick, so the bags would be full of rotting fruit within less than a week. That's part of why you could only order the juicer and the packs (which cost like $8 per 8 ounce serving by the way) in certain states where they could assure delivery in a certain timeframe, you would otherwise just get it rotted to unusuability.

Probably because the machine cost a ton ($700) and if you can just squeeze the bags by hand what is the point of the device? At that point it was just the machine scanning a QR code to make sure it is fresh; which certainly does not require a $700 press. Of course the packs were also hideously expensive and dumb in their own right (the valve to allow gases from decomposition was especially funny as you point out).

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

fishmech is pointing out that it's all a scam to trick gullible new age health food yuppies who are going to buy these things regardless

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

fishmech posted:

The main reason people focused on the "you can squeeze it yourself" bit is that the machine was absolutely beautiful, but completely and impractically overdesigned in such a fashion as to be basically useless. Rather than squeezing the pulp at a single point by putting it through rollers or similar, they had the whole thing smashing two giant plates into each other, which meant that it was throwing around massively more force than it needed to, which further meant that the damned thing had to be overengineered. On top of that, all of the parts were made with multiple machining passes and some really beautiful precision work, none of which helped the price.

Basically, they didn't have an actual manufacturing engineer on board and let their R&D team go hog wild without bothering to cut costs at any point. It's pretty much the golden standard for modern startups relying on techbros and disruption and not bothering to get anyone with any experience in launching a product.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I want my juice machine built like a panther tank.

Ruzihm
Aug 11, 2010

Group up and push mid, proletariat!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fishmech
Jul 16, 2006

by VideoGames
Salad Prong

Dirk the Average posted:

The main reason people focused on the "you can squeeze it yourself" bit is that the machine was absolutely beautiful, but completely and impractically overdesigned in such a fashion as to be basically useless. Rather than squeezing the pulp at a single point by putting it through rollers or similar, they had the whole thing smashing two giant plates into each other, which meant that it was throwing around massively more force than it needed to, which further meant that the damned thing had to be overengineered. On top of that, all of the parts were made with multiple machining passes and some really beautiful precision work, none of which helped the price.

Basically, they didn't have an actual manufacturing engineer on board and let their R&D team go hog wild without bothering to cut costs at any point. It's pretty much the golden standard for modern startups relying on techbros and disruption and not bothering to get anyone with any experience in launching a product.

It's not a case of "nobody on board with experience launching a product". The founders were all from previous scammy cold pressed juice businesses, including the CEO who used to run a national chain. They also knew they were targeting only rich health food idiots like themselves, so it being expensive and overengineered are a large part of the point - after all, few people who can afford to spend nearly $60 a week every week to get a single small glass of juice per day can't afford a $700 juicer. And who also believed in the specific "cold pressed juice" pseudoscience, of course.

If there was anyone who didn't have experience there, it was apparently whichever venture capital investors somehow bought the line they sold that eventually Juicero would expand to a mass market product. Cuz that simply would never happen.