Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pospysyl
Nov 10, 2012

Sounds like a guy who's somebody else round everyone else, watching his back cuz he can't relax, trying to be cool, but looks like a fool. Truly, a version of the character for our modern times.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat

thehoodie posted:

So there is a new translation of the Odyssey, which is the first ever translated by a woman, Emily Wilson.

First verse is amazing:

this is bad

david ferry has just put out a new translation of the aeneid, however, which is good:

quote:

I sing of arms and the man whom fate had sent
To exile from the shores of Troy to be
The first to come to Lavinium and the coasts
Of Italy, and who, because of Juno’s
Savage implacable rage, was battered by storms
At sea, and from the heavens above, and also
Tempests of war, until at last he might
Build there his city and bring his gods to Latium,
From which would come the Alban Fathers and
The lofty walls of Rome. Muse, tell me
The cause why Juno the queen of heaven was so
Aggrieved by what offence against her power,
To send this virtuous faithful hero out
To perform so many labors, confront such dangers?
Can anger like this be, in immortal hearts?

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
I'm reading One Hundred Days of Solitude and it's pretty dense in what's happening, so far. There's child rape, marrying young kids. There's a lot of longing for loves lost. There's making mechanical wheels whirr. There's non-sexual longing for gypsies. There's a lot happening but I would really only care if I had a few months of lifetime. living with the subjects lifetime (or near enough,) to live these lives.

Is that the point? Complexity, and life goes on? There's machinations between all these Marcus Aaurelino's. Tell me something. And holy poo poo is there a lot of telling me what's going on. Build something up. Let me feel a sensation instead of burying me in another two page paragraph where I dig some meaning out of every soap opera (soap operas are good) back and forth. I don't want to live every minute of every year of every lifetime. It's good, yes, that you can do this. I want a point to it.

I don't want to reminisce. I'm still young. Let me live my life, and someday I'll reflect on all that's passed me by. Maybe even someday I'll sit in a position where I can say all this went before me. For now I don't care. Create something! You've created a world but I'm not going to pick through it looking for fantasy. Dream about loving young girls, you total weirdo.

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

chernobyl kinsman posted:

this is bad

david ferry has just put out a new translation of the aeneid, however, which is good:

This seems unnecessary.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bandiet posted:

This seems unnecessary.

posting a new translation of a classic in response to a post about a different new translation of a classic?

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Mrenda posted:

I'm reading One Hundred Days of Solitude and it's pretty dense in what's happening, so far. There's child rape, marrying young kids. There's a lot of longing for loves lost. There's making mechanical wheels whirr. There's non-sexual longing for gypsies. There's a lot happening but I would really only care if I had a few months of lifetime. living with the subjects lifetime (or near enough,) to live these lives.

Is that the point? Complexity, and life goes on? There's machinations between all these Marcus Aaurelino's. Tell me something. And holy poo poo is there a lot of telling me what's going on. Build something up. Let me feel a sensation instead of burying me in another two page paragraph where I dig some meaning out of every soap opera (soap operas are good) back and forth. I don't want to live every minute of every year of every lifetime. It's good, yes, that you can do this. I want a point to it.

I don't want to reminisce. I'm still young. Let me live my life, and someday I'll reflect on all that's passed me by. Maybe even someday I'll sit in a position where I can say all this went before me. For now I don't care. Create something! You've created a world but I'm not going to pick through it looking for fantasy. Dream about loving young girls, you total weirdo.

source your quotes

Bandiet
Dec 31, 2015

posting a new translation of a classic in response to a post about a different new translation of a classic?

No, I mean the David Ferry translation seems unnecessary. Actually I still really enjoy Dryden's Aeneid.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bandiet posted:

No, I mean the David Ferry translation seems unnecessary. Actually I still really enjoy Dryden's Aeneid.

oh i just default assume every post in this thread is a personal attack at another poster

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

oh i just default assume every post in this thread is a personal attack at another poster

Everyone's nice to you, though

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat
its because of my warm and likable personality

e: and my correct opinions

chernobyl kinsman fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Nov 9, 2017

Eugene V. Dubstep
Oct 4, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 8 years!
the Hobie Doyle translation of the Odyssey

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

talking of translations, anyone know if the robert macdonald version of goethe's faust is any good?

Nanomashoes
Aug 18, 2012

The Sot-Weed Factor is the best book I've read in like 2-3 years.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
I want to say I read a banging translation of the Aeneid a decade-or-so ago that was translated by a woman. It was good. Like Virgil, she struggled with a meter not meant for her language. That made it fun.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa

Nanomashoes posted:

The Sot-Weed Factor is the best book I've read in like 2-3 years.

it's good, and if it wasn't a doorstopper i would suggest it for BotM and force the rest of this forum to read it

A human heart
Oct 10, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

it's good, and if it wasn't a doorstopper i would suggest it for BotM and force the rest of this forum to read it

You should do that anyway so that these rubes are stuck reading a really long book for weeks on end.

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
I have never felt forced to read the BotM

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

at the date posted:

"Tell me about a complicated man" is a simplistic (and unpoetic) translation, especially in light of its predecessors

e:

'Tell me about a complicated man' is alright imho, it knows what it's doing

But yeah the translations that talk about twists and turns are the best

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.

A human heart posted:

You should do that anyway so that these rubes are stuck reading a really long book for weeks on end.

We read a longer book last month

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
imo books should not be long. if you can't say what you're saying in a reasonable amount of words then maybe you suck

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

if i did a danish translation of the odysee, odyseus would be called a knudemand (knot-man = complicated man, but really its a dude whos all neurotic lol)

get it

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

derp posted:

imo books should not be long. if you can't say what you're saying in a reasonable amount of words then maybe you suck

:yeah: im always super pleased when i get a new book & it turns out to be less than 300 pages.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
I think a book should be as long as it needs to be imo

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

just like my dick

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

At this point, Mudman abruptly ends the conversation. He usually insists on the last word.
I think books should have words and only occassionally pictures

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
if it needs to be really long then maybe it should be two books. otherwise how will i ever get my goodreads count up

Tim Burns Effect
Apr 1, 2011

Powaqoatse posted:

if i did a danish translation of the odysee, odyseus would be called a knudemand (knot-man = complicated man, but really its a dude whos all neurotic lol)

get it

tell me about a nude man

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

derp posted:

if it needs to be really long then maybe it should be two books. otherwise how will i ever get my goodreads count up

shamelessly add all the lovely star wars novels you read as a kid like your good pal fridge corn

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

GOODREEDS, where I find, my good reads

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

I wrote a snippy review about a bad lit book on a whim and its apparently the most popular review of the book now and every few days I get an email saying someone liked it

I feel bad because I didn't even care that much and now the dude probably sees my name all the time talking poo poo about him

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

Mel Mudkiper posted:

I wrote a snippy review about a bad lit book on a whim and its apparently the most popular review of the book now and every few days I get an email saying someone liked it

I feel bad because I didn't even care that much and now the dude probably sees my name all the time talking poo poo about him

Where did you write the review? Amazon? Are you on Goodreads?

Mel Mudkiper
Jan 19, 2012

yeah on goodreads

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Tim Burns Effect posted:

tell me about a nude man

tell me about dis fuckin guy

eyyy

o maddon'

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,

Mel Mudkiper posted:

yeah on goodreads

Mel Mudkiper ⭐️ 23/6/2015: Overly pretentious prose; comma-per-sentence count is over 4 or 5 on average; I needed a thesaurus; I didn't like it.

VileLL
Oct 3, 2015

derp posted:

disgusting wretch

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

Soiled Meat

Mel Mudkiper posted:

hahah. what book?

Jrbg
May 20, 2014

Mel Mudkiper posted:

Once when I was drunk I annotated a Joanna Newsom song on genius.com, and every now and then i get an email from it informing me someone is earnestly marking my idiocy as 'missing something'

Astrofig
Oct 26, 2009
I don't know if it counts as real literature, but I recently started rereading It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis and being chilled all over again by how unexpectedly timely it feels for having been written in 1935.

Antwan3K
Mar 8, 2013

thehoodie posted:

How is it compared to autumn? I liked that book quite a bit.

I'm still only halfway through but it seems similar in style and in the way it touches different eras of modern British socio-poltical and art history through its characters' lives. There's some people who think it's a bit overdone I imagine, but to me she's one of the greatest contemporary crafters of sentences I've read. Broadly Autumn was about Brexit, and this is about the political climate of the Trump era I guess, but that doesn't really capture the breadth of it. I liked what I read somewhere, that she trying to build a mythology to talk about modern British society

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CestMoi
Sep 16, 2011

Astrofig posted:

I don't know if it counts as real literature, but I recently started rereading It Can't Happen Here by Sinclair Lewis and being chilled all over again by how unexpectedly timely it feels for having been written in 1935.

I'm reading Molloy and let me tell you: that Beckett wrote this without knowledge of the Trump presidency is mindblowing to me.