Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Cry 'Mayhem!' and let slip the dogs of Wardlow.

Spermy Smurf posted:

I just realized I am like 3 books back. Forge of Darkness is the last one I read. Crap, what do I need to buy now?

Well, you could read Fall of Light if you wanted to. It's the sequel to Forge of Darkness. The final book of that trilogy won't done until some nebulous point in the future, however. Deadhouse Landing is the second of Ian Cameron Esslemont's prequel trilogy focusing on Kellanved/Shadowthrone and Dancer before they ascended. The first was Dancer's Lament and it was surprisingly good, despite ICE's spotty track record. I don't think there will be much delay if any in getting to the conclusion of that little trilogy. Apparently Forge and Fall both sold poorly, so Erikson is putting that series on hold and starting in earnest on the Karsa books, planned to be set after the conclusion of the Book of the Fallen proper.

So it's either Fall of Light or Dancer's Lament, I guess!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
I thought Erickson was starting a sci-fi series?

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple

Fenrir posted:

That already has two books out. I enjoyed the first one but haven't gotten a chance to pick up the second one yet.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Fenrir posted:

He's just found a publisher for a first-contact style sci-fi story called Rejoice, a Knife to the Heart. A serious one, instead of the Star Trek parody/satire of Willful Child. As far as I know Rejoice is mostly or completely finished and set to be released next year. Right now he's finishing up the third Willful Child book and then on to Karsa, per his Facebook.

Fenrir
Apr 26, 2005

I found my kendo stick, bitch!

Lipstick Apathy
Ah, fair enough. I didn't know that was already so far along. But drat I can't wait for Karsa.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

His facebook page is a pro-follow, too.

turboraton
Aug 28, 2011
I'm on Dancer's Lament, drat this book is goooooooood.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

I'm working my way through Deadhouse Landing right now. Good enough, though I think ICE is leaning a bit too hard on stuff we already know from the main series. Still enjoyable.

Guyver
Dec 5, 2006

Deadhouse Landing was a lot of fun. I liked most all of the winks and nods in the book except one which was a little on the nose. When they meet the new marine and I think it was Crust that said something like " Jack? That's a boring name he needs a new one".

Also for some reason I have been under the impression that Silk and Tayschrenn were the same person, guess not. I can't remember how I came to that conclusion though.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

You guys can't re-lure me into the ICE trap.

Deadhouse Gates is the one Erikson Malazan book I don't enjoy re-reading.
It introduces a lot of good new characters, and stuff, but the Coltaine storyline is a constant kick in the balls.
I somehow connect the Bonehunter deathmarch in Crippled God to the Coltaine storyline, because a lot of the same things crop up,
and that sort of drags down Deadhouse Gates & Crippled God for me.

Given the choice, I'd take gay murder-bro stories (B & KB) over a Deadhouse Gates re-read or anything ICE.

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.
The Coltaine story is one of my faves in the series and probably the emotional highpoint for me.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Coltaine and his story felt way too Jesus-y on my Malazan: book of the fallen series re-read.
I refuse to re-read the two ICE books I read (Orb Sceptre Throne & Night of Knives).
I don't mind if Coltaine reappears eventually, as I've said before in this thread the characters I don't want to appear/read about in future Malazan books
are Tool and his sister.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

NoNostalgia4Grover posted:

Coltaine and his story felt way too Jesus-y on my Malazan: book of the fallen series re-read.
I refuse to re-read the two ICE books I read (Orb Sceptre Throne & Night of Knives).
I don't mind if Coltaine reappears eventually, as I've said before in this thread the characters I don't want to appear/read about in future Malazan books
are Tool and his sister.
The reincarnation bit ICE added to it really hurt that story. It's perfect the way it ends in DG, as the triumph of stupid politicking over heroism.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

You guys can't re-lure me into the ICE trap.

Deadhouse Gates is the one Erikson Malazan book I don't enjoy re-reading.
It introduces a lot of good new characters, and stuff, but the Coltaine storyline is a constant kick in the balls.
I somehow connect the Bonehunter deathmarch in Crippled God to the Coltaine storyline, because a lot of the same things crop up,
and that sort of drags down Deadhouse Gates & Crippled God for me.

Given the choice, I'd take gay murder-bro stories (B & KB) over a Deadhouse Gates re-read or anything ICE.

:stare: :psyduck:

are Tool and his sister.

Come on, you gotta enjoy Kilavas ability to gently caress up everything she touches.

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

anilEhilated posted:

The reincarnation bit ICE added to it really hurt that story. It's perfect the way it ends in DG, as the triumph of stupid politicking over heroism.

What really?
That just reaffirms my decision not to be re-lured into the ICE trap.

Imagine the insanity if ICE written stories & books were instead written by Julian May.
May did the mind-boggling "SCA enthusiasts go voluntarily through a one way time portal to Earth's Pliocene era to live out their SCA fantasies forever....
....and immediately get enslaved by elfs, goblins, trolls, etc" sci-fi/fantasy series.

Oh yeah all those faerie like beings also have the fairie folklore weaknesses to iron.
That's all within the first 50 pages of the first book, things get exponentially insaner throughout that fantasy/sci-fi book series.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer

What really?

Imagine the insanity if ICE written stories & books were instead written by Julian May.
May did the mind-boggling "SCA enthusiasts go voluntarily through a one way time portal to Earth's Pliocene era to live out their SCA fantasies forever....
....and immediately get enslaved by elfs, goblins, trolls, etc" sci-fi/fantasy series.

Oh yeah all those faerie like beings also have the fairie folklore weaknesses to iron.
That's all within the first 50 pages of the first book, things get exponentially insaner throughout that fantasy/sci-fi book series.
Oh, right, I though that's what you meant by Jesus-y. Slight spoilers for RotCG: Coltaine gets reincarnated into a baby and Nil and Nether are raising him to be a leader again. By allying with the Malazans... Again.. Now that is bad and lessens the impact of that scene severely.

Like, I don't mind ICE that much, but that's when he is sticking into his own lore. I think Stonewielder is his best and it has gently caress all in common with the rest of the books; any SE character he touches, he ruins. But hey, apparently his Kellanved and Dancer are good? I wasn't too impressed by Lament myself.

anilEhilated fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Nov 20, 2017

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Thank you for that spoiler re: Coltaine , anilEhilated.
As I said 5 posts up, I have only read 2 ICE books, Orb Sceptre Throne and Night of Knives.

OST was a definite quality dropoff from Erikson, with a book editor that appeared to be 90% focused on apostrophe placement in character names,
and 10% focused on normal book editor duties.

Night of Knives vaguely made sense since I had just finished Fall of Light, and FoL explained out why Deadhouse grounds grab
living entities, (to act as power-cells/batteries for the Deadhouses
to keep doing their thing as dimensional beacons/gateways into all warrens/dimensions).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

What really?

This sounds fun. What's the title?

quantumfoam
Dec 25, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

This sounds fun. What's the title?

Titles. It's a 4 book series called "the Saga of Pliocene Exile" by Julian May.
In order the books are: The Many-Colored Land, The Golden Torc, The Nonborn King, The Adversary.

May also did a scifi book series that ties into the Pliocene series called "Galactic Milieu" but it would require big rear end spoilers to really explain how.

Before you get too excited, both series are kinda dated. Your enjoyment will vary depending on much you can tolerate overt Heinlein influences, and
Eugenics being the secret super-power in both series. I bowed out of the Galactic Milieu series fast, but the Pliocene series was
reliable "...Am I reading what I think this is?....WTF? wtf".

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Thanks! I'll try the first book to see if it's fun airplane reading. Gotta finish Provenance first, though.

Dalmuti
Apr 8, 2007
i think this is bullshit: https://www.tor.com/2017/11/21/malazan-suggested-reading-order-ian-cameron-esslemont-steven-erikson/

dishwasherlove
Nov 26, 2007

The ultimate fusion of man and machine.

Surely just cooked up by Tor to sell the new books. Or maybe the order to understand things chronologically.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

Yeah... I find it really hard to believe that's author-endorsed.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I think that would be a pretty good order for a second read-through.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

cptn_dr posted:

I think that would be a pretty good order for a second read-through.

Only if we get to pretend Assail never was written.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

I'll allow it.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

Mostly chronological except that Midnight Tides and House of Chains are just swapped for no real reason :psyduck:

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Clark Nova posted:

Mostly chronological except that Midnight Tides and House of Chains are just swapped for no real reason :psyduck:
I'm guessing it has to do with Trull.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah that's a good list, if you want people to never ever get in to your series jfc.

Mainline in published order, throw in a few ice novels before bonehunters if you want, then finish ice after mainline and on to the prequels.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Yeah that's a good list, if you want people to never ever get in to your series jfc.

Mainline in published order, throw in a few ice novels before bonehunters if you want, then finish ice after mainline and on to the prequels.

Having finished FoL I definitely think Kharkanas should be read before the end of BotF - either before Dust of Dreams or before Toll the Hounds. Not just because it informs all the Tiste stuff, but because it shows you all the revelations about the world that DoD merely tells you about.

I said it way back - if I'd just run into Korabas Otar Tantaral and a kid called Gear in FoD before having them explained to be in TtH and DoD I would have completely lost my poo poo.And I think the exploration in TtH of how traumatised the Tiste are, even this long after the birth of light, would be much more effective if it came after seeing those events. A lot of Kharkanas felt a bit anticlimactic, because it couldn't always live up to the hype from TtH. I also think it's fundamentally more interesting to see how all the truth and history of the Tiste got warped and distorted over time, but if you read TtH first then you get one history presented as absolute truth, and then its essentially retconned in Kharkanas.

Instead there's just a lot of "ohhh I see what you did there Steve", which is much less emotionally satisfying.

Theli
Jan 23, 2002

SORRY ABOUT MY TAINT
Fun Shoe
Man, I just finished the third Stormlight Archives book and need something to tide me over until the next one comes out in 2020.

I never finished BotF as I "caught up" to the series after Toll the Hounds and was only able to get a third of the way into Dust of Dreams when it came out because I felt completely lost.

I haven't read any of the prequels or other stuff Esselmont wrote, so that reading order is actually sounding really tempting.

I think I might actually try it.

The Ninth Layer
Jun 20, 2007

It's easier the second time around.

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

The Ninth Layer posted:

It's easier the second time around.

And even better the third time. :v:

What is 11000 pages amongst friends anyways.

apophenium
Apr 14, 2009

Figured I'd dump some thoughts on Deadhouse Landing now that I've finished it. A bit of a letdown following Dancer's Lament, but not an out and out disaster. I thought ICE worked really well with a narrower cast and setting in Dancer's Lament. Its sequel, instead, covers a lot of ground and includes a pretty bloated cast. The strong core of Dancer and Wu gets diluted a bit, which is a shame.

Not to say that the other characters don't pull their weight. The Napans are all pretty great. There were some unnecessary winks and "foreshadowing" that got an eyeroll from me. Other little nods to the various characters' futures were well done. So it's a bit of a mixed bag.

There was a rough patch in the middle where Dancer and Wu were mostly absent and they were sorely missed. Once they get back into the picture towards the end it's a solid ride.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

anilEhilated posted:

The difference is Erikson's stuff is actually good.

Err, I always supported Erikson here, so for once I'll be the other voice:

The difference is that Sanderson can actually keep track of his stuff. Erikson cannot.

Habibi
Dec 8, 2004

We have the capability to make San Jose's first Cup Champion.

The Sharks could be that Champion.

Abalieno posted:

Err, I always supported Erikson here, so for once I'll be the other voice:

The difference is that Sanderson can actually keep track of his stuff. Erikson cannot.

Not going to disagree here, but I think the reason Sanderson is so good at keeping track of his stuff is also the reason his plot development often feels so artificial.

Abalieno
Apr 3, 2011

Habibi posted:

Not going to disagree here, but I think the reason Sanderson is so good at keeping track of his stuff is also the reason his plot development often feels so artificial.

One of the reasons is well spelled out in the introduction to Oathbringer. Sanderson now has a small team working on the books, and they do all those micro-managing activities that are necessary to keep track of the small details. Sanderson also cares about all the moving parts and his worldbuilding.

Erikson has said many times he doesn't even care about that semi-obsessive attention to everything. And he also won't even read the books again to make sure everything works well. And that's all fine. The problem is that a delay with A Walk in Shadow might mean we'll never see that book in the form it might have had if it was written *now*. It is going to be different, and that also means that it won't be all so smooth and consistent with the rest, probably.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
All of Erickson (Malazan) is unreliable narrative, history retold, or just straight up lies someone else believed... It would be weird if it WAS internally consistent

Cardiac
Aug 28, 2012

Abalieno posted:

Erikson has said many times he doesn't even care about that semi-obsessive attention to everything.

This here is exactly one reason why I really like Erikson.
The sperging about details in fantasy is so tedious.
And Erikson has his fair number of cross-book easter eggs, so saying there is no attention to detail is provably false.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

snoremac
Jul 27, 2012

I LOVE SEEING DEAD BABIES ON 𝕏, THE EVERYTHING APP. IT'S WORTH IT FOR THE FOLLOWING TAB.

pile of brown posted:

All of Erickson (Malazan) is unreliable narrative, history retold, or just straight up lies someone else believed... It would be weird if it WAS internally consistent

Yeah it drives the point home with how distorted the story of Coltaine becomes in-universe.