Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Fauxtool posted:

its not at all for nubs.

If you dont know what its for you may not even have the problem its designed to fix.
Use it like you would use your fingernail to scrape a mold line off. Its hard and the plastic is soft so a very light touch is needed

Yeah, for Gunpla its biggest use is for assembling older (early-mid 90's) model kits, which werent afraid to use rubber hands and interior limbs, which can be obnoxious to clean up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Knives and sandpaper don't do poo poo to get lines off poly/rubber parts, so I don't see how the tool in question would do any better.

e: I have a similar thing and it's probably the least-used tool in my collection. It does virtually nothing a razor knife can't and is much heavier and clunkier to use. I am curious about those template-style seam scrapers, though, which seem like they might actually be good for something:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OWqcDrkkRR8

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 14:02 on Nov 15, 2017

Null of Undefined
Aug 4, 2010

I have used 41 of 300 characters allowed.
Thanks, apparently I’m dumb and misunderstood. Back sanding for me :ms:

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Bimmi posted:

But yeah, it's pretty obvious that they were never intended to be integrated with the main universe and nothing outside of veeyogamz has ever really bothered to try.

I heard the opposite was true, that the 0080 designs were meant to become the official designs for the OYW and replace the more cartoonish MSG designs going forward (like how in Macross, everything after the first series uses the Do You Remember Love? designs even though DYRL isn't 'canon') but they walked that back at some point.

I know there's an art book out there called MS ERA that presents itself as a collection of war photography from during the OYW that uses all 0080 designs, and the other two 90s OVAs are definitely more inspired by 0080 visually than by the original designs.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Babysitter Super Sleuth posted:

I heard the opposite was true, that the 0080 designs were meant to become the official designs for the OYW and replace the more cartoonish MSG designs going forward (like how in Macross, everything after the first series uses the Do You Remember Love? designs even though DYRL isn't 'canon') but they walked that back at some point.

I know there's an art book out there called MS ERA that presents itself as a collection of war photography from during the OYW that uses all 0080 designs, and the other two 90s OVAs are definitely more inspired by 0080 visually than by the original designs.

No, that's exactly how it went down, but eventually someone decided they had to be part of the main continuity and we got the "United Maintenance Plan" rear end-pull as result, though they're so wildly different from the designs that inspired them that they are still pretty much their own thing to this day, regardless of what the so-called canon says.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Maybe we should just not care about canon and appreciate good art design.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Bimmi posted:

The Zaku FZ has a blink-and-you'll-miss-it cameo in ep04 of Unicorn.

But yeah, it's pretty obvious that they were never intended to be integrated with the main universe and nothing outside of veeyogamz has ever really bothered to try.

Some manga have the suits too. The Plot to Assassinate Gihren has them (if memory serves) as part of the coup forces trying to move power from Zabis to the Deikun family. Pretty good read, too.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Arcsquad12 posted:

I don't give a solitary poo poo about canon myself, for just that reason. And lots of others, too, it's ridiculous to try to force consistency on the UC timeline at this point.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

Bimmi posted:

No, that's exactly how it went down, but eventually someone decided they had to be part of the main continuity and we got the "United Maintenance Plan" rear end-pull as result, though they're so wildly different from the designs that inspired them that they are still pretty much their own thing to this day, regardless of what the so-called canon says.

That explanation is also super dumb considering how short the war was. Gelgoogs weren't in service for an entire month and they were already making upgraded Gelgoog J's.

I mean, I've said it before, but the sheer amount of mobile suit variants in the OYW is nuts. There's probably hundreds of them.

It's even more dumb when you remember that for most of the war, the only mobile suits were Zakus, then they developed hundreds of them in the last 3 months.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I demand consistency in my bizarre series of anime robot shows that include a show where people do kungfu to win a robot tournament, a show where little kids paint war machines and then make them duel, and a show about an experimental tall grunt suit where everybody in the universe dies

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

I demand consistency in my bizarre series of anime robot shows that include a show where people do kungfu to win a robot tournament, a show where little kids paint war machines and then make them duel, and a show about an experimental tall grunt suit where everybody in the universe dies

ok point taken, touche

Nebakenezzer
Sep 13, 2005

The Mote in God's Eye

Neurolimal posted:

Lol what's that last one, it sounds like "On the Beach" but with giant fighting robots

I've already seen "a GBS [George Bernard Shaw] play, but with giant fighting robots"

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Neurolimal posted:

Only like two people die in Turn A though?

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Nebakenezzer posted:

Lol what's that last one, it sounds like "On the Beach" but with giant fighting robots

I've already seen "a GBS [George Bernard Shaw] play, but with giant fighting robots"

Space Runaway Ideon. He's called "Kill 'em all Tomino" for a reason. In that show, he kills 'em all. Literally. Everyone in the entire universe dies in the end.

Also a toddler gets her head blown off in a firefight.

It's.... kinda disturbing.

Also the show was the inspiration for Neon Genesis Evangelion! What a surprise!

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Nebakenezzer posted:

Space Runaway Ideon, it's not actually based on a grunt unit, but the head is very obviously GM inspired and it has a fair number of Gundam collaborators.

The majority of the show is of a war between humaniy and an alien race, over a series of misunderstandings. In the TV ending the daughter of the alien race's commander becomes pregnant with a human father, and when she come into contact with the Ideon it wipes out both races and scatters their genes far apart, with the intention of giving both races a chance to re-evolve as kinder, less warlike races

Tomino himself actually shows up to get killed in the show, just to go full hog with the Everything Dies theme :v:

Gammatron 64 posted:

Also the show was the inspiration for Neon Genesis Evangelion! What a surprise!

They're also both examples of the inverse of the usual tonal shift in a lot of animes (i.e normal show suddenly gets super dark at the end) in that both shows' TV endings have a bittersweet silver lining; for Ideon neither race actually dies, they're both given a chance to escape their bloody legacies using the genes of a child of both races, and for Evangelion Shinji defies the cynical expectations of his father, becomes intimate with Literally God, and saves humanity from an endless cycle of rebirth while also psychically connecting every human being .

Neurolimal fucked around with this message at 02:27 on Nov 16, 2017

Argas
Jan 13, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!

Bimmi posted:

It's also the case with 0083's designs.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Neurolimal posted:

Space Runaway Ideon, it's not actually based on a grunt unit, but the head is very obviously GM inspired and it has a fair number of Gundam collaborators.

The majority of the show is of a war between humaniy and an alien race, over a series of misunderstandings. In the TV ending the daughter of the alien race's commander becomes pregnant with a human father, and when she come into contact with the Ideon it wipes out both races and scatters their genes far apart, with the intention of giving both races a chance to re-evolve as kinder, less warlike races

Tomino himself actually shows up to get killed in the show, just to go full hog with the Everything Dies theme :v:

They're also both examples of the inverse of the usual tonal shift in a lot of animes (i.e normal show suddenly gets super dark at the end) in that both shows' TV endings have a bittersweet silver lining; for Ideon neither race actually dies, they're both given a chance to escape their bloody legacies using the genes of a child of both races, and for Evangelion Shinji defies the cynical expectations of his father, becomes intimate with Literally God, and saves humanity from an endless cycle of rebirth while also psychically connecting every human being .

Eva is kind of a unique case in that it starts out dark and depressing, then it has a stint in the middle of the show where it approaches some normalcy which lulls you into a false sense of security, then WHAM super hosed up again

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Gammatron 64 posted:

Eva is kind of a unique case in that it starts out dark and depressing, then it has a stint in the middle of the show where it approaches some normalcy which lulls you into a false sense of security, then WHAM super hosed up again

Like the first couple seasons of Lexx

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Arcsquad12 posted:

The Hygogg is the best robot in the franchise

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
The Hygogg, Z'Gok E, and 0080 Rick Dom are fantastic, but the Zaku and Gelgoog redesigns aren't great

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I settled and got the SD Neo Zeong today because my wife would kill me if I tried to bring home the full size Neo Zeong.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

Guy Goodbody posted:

The Hygogg, Z'Gok E, and 0080 Rick Dom are fantastic, but the Zaku and Gelgoog redesigns aren't great

I mostly agree. I don't dislike the Zaku FZ but it's no replacement for the Zaku II. It's kinda halfway between the Zaku II and the Hizack.

Taintrunner posted:

I settled and got the SD Neo Zeong today because my wife would kill me if I tried to bring home the full size Neo Zeong.

I saw the box in a store once. Just the box is a sight to behold.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I do like the looks of the Fz, but the F2 is where its at wrt OG Zaku design. That or the JC with the spiked shoulder shield. Norris fought a Ground Gundam to a draw in that thing.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Argas posted:

It's also the case with 0083's designs.

Actually, in looking at it, 0083's Gelgoogs sort of look like they could be based on the same machine as 0080's JG. In the end they're still pretty far apart, but there's just enough similarity of detail that it could almost pass.

The Zaku FZ is just weird — it takes about a half dozen bullet points of "what makes a Zaku" and then just goes off into the woods entirely. Strange thing to do with such an iconic and ubiquitous design. Katoki handled it much better.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still think the FZ is a good design. Its chest section is a big improvement over the T armor on other zaku designs, and I'm a fan of sloped armor anyways. I'd say the only places the FZ falters is in its skinny thighs and comically big machine pistol. It looks good even if it's incongruous with other Zaku models.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

RIP. Again.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Good riddance.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

DM were good, stop being a poo poo bimmi.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord
TBF no one should have been surprised by this

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
DM were crooks leeching off another company's IP and hard work. gently caress 'em sideways.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Oh so you're both uninformed and a cruel idiot, cool.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
In what way am I uninformed?

e: actually don't bother, I can pretty much predict what your argument is going to be and if you're this butthurt about a blatantly illegal operation being shut down I'm not terribly interested in your opinion anyway.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

DM were good, stop being a poo poo bimmi.

they were too good, of course they attracted attention.

Its a chinese business so it will be back with a mustache next week called momokodragon

Fauxtool fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 16, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

The same way you were uninformed about it the last time you threw a third party hissy fit and we had to get a mod ruling on the matter.

You're acting like they're Daban or something

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
In what way are they different? A handful of "original" kits among all the ripped-off tooling does not put them on some higher moral plane, and they don't have the legal right to be selling those designs in the first place.

So again, how am I uninformed?

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Man, why dont you two just clear off the desk and go to town on each other already, the suspense is killing me.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Bimmi posted:

In what way are they different? A handful of "original" kits among all the ripped-off tooling does not put them on some higher moral plane, and they don't have the legal right to be selling those designs in the first place.

So again, how am I uninformed?

No don't you see? and are definitely completely different designs and one is definitely not a ripoff of the other.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Neurolimal posted:

Man, why dont you two just clear off the desk and go to town on each other already, the suspense is killing me.

Not my fault that some people can't handle the suggestion that bootlegs are legally and ethically indefensible without flipping the gently caress out (and going crying to the mods to make the bad opinions go away, apparently.)

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Custom variants with original tooling are absolutely on a different level than just making a cheaper clone. That's not even getting into the whole artificial scarcity stuff or lack of options to purchase limited goods in the US.

Also Droyer, weren't you the one who started this whole mess to begin with back when the DM Unicorn discussion was happening a while back?

Bimmi posted:

Not my fault that some people can't handle the suggestion that bootlegs are legally and ethically indefensible without flipping the gently caress out (and going crying to the mods to make the bad opinions go away, apparently.)

Good thing we established that they aren't bootlegs forever ago, huh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I bought the DM PG unicorn and the PG 00 raiser. I also bought the Bandai PG unicorn and PG 00 Raiser