Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

brainwrinkle posted:

Now that I know those exist, I need them as well.

I found them cheapest on ebay, but I live in europe so you might have other options available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

I think gunpla may make my girlfriend kill me.

For my birthday she wanted a hint of what I wanted. She guessed I wanted some gunpla, but didn't want me to outright tell her, but to give her a hint. So I said it's a master grade of the first suit that char aznable pilots in zeta gundam. She got it in like 5 minutes and complained t was too easy and to make it harder next time.

So to make it harder for Christmas, I told her that I wanted the master grade of the "final boss" from a gundam series that aired post 2000.

Apparently she's been dropping a bunch of f bombs and muttering some random names of mobile suits while trying to figure it out.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Monaghan posted:

For my birthday she wanted a hint of what I wanted. She guessed I wanted some gunpla, but didn't want me to outright tell her, but to give her a hint. So I said it's a master grade of the first suit that char aznable pilots in zeta gundam. She got it in like 5 minutes and complained t was too easy and to make it harder next time.

So to make it harder for Christmas, I told her that I wanted the master grade of the "final boss" from a gundam series that aired post 2000.

Apparently she's been dropping a bunch of f bombs and muttering some random names of mobile suits while trying to figure it out.

The Providence Gundam?

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Providence Gundam?

you got it much faster than she did.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Monaghan posted:

oh man, that hint would absolutely gently caress me up. Because Quattro Bajina first pilots a Rick Dias, but doesn't he have the Hyaku Shiki by the time he's openly admitting to be Char?

I would overthink it so hard

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

Trick question, Char isn't in Zeta.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Mimir posted:

So, the process if I'm going to Matt Coat this MG Zaku from fresh-in-box is:

-Wash in soapy water to remove sandpaper and grit

-Do panel lining and stickers/decals

-Gloss Coat

-Testor's Dullcoat

Right? I'm a dumbass and I don't want to gently caress it up.

This probably got lost, but if your not painting, you could negate the gloss coat.

If you haven't painted this also means you could paint each limb separately moving the articulated parts (knees, elbows) so that you get a good covering in places that could get missed

Remember to do light coats and build up the coverage with multiple layers. You'll get a much smoother coverage and reduce the risk of it pooling in areas.

Your first coat will look like nothing is on there, don't be tempted to add more spray.

Let it dry for ages between coats too. You want to let it fully cure before you add more coats.

Monaghan
Dec 29, 2006

Guy Goodbody posted:

oh man, that hint would absolutely gently caress me up. Because Quattro Bajina first pilots a Rick Dias, but doesn't he have the Hyaku Shiki by the time he's openly admitting to be Char?

I would overthink it so hard

I used the char aznable thing to trip her up a bit, but nope, she got it pretty fast once she learned they old casval used multiple identities.

Mimir
Nov 26, 2012

Puddin posted:

This probably got lost, but if your not painting, you could negate the gloss coat.

If you haven't painted this also means you could paint each limb separately moving the articulated parts (knees, elbows) so that you get a good covering in places that could get missed

Remember to do light coats and build up the coverage with multiple layers. You'll get a much smoother coverage and reduce the risk of it pooling in areas.

Your first coat will look like nothing is on there, don't be tempted to add more spray.

Let it dry for ages between coats too. You want to let it fully cure before you add more coats.

Thank you. I'm taking notes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Alright you fuckers, this thread clearly needs more Gunpla photos and if no-one else is gonna make them I will! :toughguy:

I've had a bunch of spare parts kicking around for ages, and decided to jazz up my Hi-Mock a bit.

Behold the Hi-Gyan Buster! :goonsay:. The shoulder pods are from the Valuable Pod, the left arm's shield-claw-thing is from the Gunpla Battle Arm Arms set (along with the support arms for the shoulder pods), and the rifle's just from the Leopard Da Vinci to put something in the right hand. I was just gonna go with the missile pods as-is, but I remembered I had the tripods from the Giant Gatling Guns going unused, and they fit, so it has the unholy cross-brand influence of Zoid design in it too courtesy of the Berserk Fury :unsmigghh:.

For a few extra pics, here's what the Giant Gatling Guns actually got used for and why the Leopard Da Vinci doesn't have its rifle;

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

worthless. posted:

Hey guys I like model kits of giant robots. What are some of your favorite giant robots? I’m building an MG Ez-8 right now what fun model kits are you guys building?

I recently finished the HG Psycho Gundam. I guess the size helps but the mechanisms are pretty darn solid for an HG. It also looks good in both Gundam mode and the Mobile Brick Fortress mode. Stickers ahoy, but it it's only HGUC 049 so I can give it a pass. I also just finished snapping together the Methuss which isn't that bad for a regular size fully transforming HG but there's something about it, and I'm not sure whether it's the proportions or just the realization of the model in 3D but the robot mode looks a little ropey so I'm leaving it in MA mode for now.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

RillAkBea posted:

I recently finished the HG Psycho Gundam. I guess the size helps but the mechanisms are pretty darn solid for an HG. It also looks good in both Gundam mode and the Mobile Brick Fortress mode. Stickers ahoy, but it it's only HGUC 049 so I can give it a pass. I also just finished snapping together the Methuss which isn't that bad for a regular size fully transforming HG but there's something about it, and I'm not sure whether it's the proportions or just the realization of the model in 3D but the robot mode looks a little ropey so I'm leaving it in MA mode for now.

It looks super dopey in the show too, that's just what it's like.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

If it's worth killing it's worth overkilling.
If you're lookin for pics, heres some of my PG Strike + Aile pack, just straight built. Havnet lined, decaled or detail painted it yet.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Did your Grand Slam come crooked out of the box? I've yet to see anyone's that didn't have a slight vertical bend to it, mine included. I wish I still had my Aile pack, but the hinge on where the lower thrusters connected to the main pack broke forever ago and I don't even know where the pack is anymore. Ditto the Strike's head because I had it in Last Shooting for the longest time and lost it. :downs:

Great job though, and it looks really great when decaled up. Do they make official waterslides for it? The stickers on mine went bad surprisingly fast.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Did your Grand Slam come crooked out of the box? I've yet to see anyone's that didn't have a slight vertical bend to it, mine included. I wish I still had my Aile pack, but the hinge on where the lower thrusters connected to the main pack broke forever ago and I don't even know where the pack is anymore. Ditto the Strike's head because I had it in Last Shooting for the longest time and lost it. :downs:

Great job though, and it looks really great when decaled up. Do they make official waterslides for it? The stickers on mine went bad surprisingly fast.

Yeah, I just went and looked, theres a very slight bend. And as far as I can tell, no, no offical waterslides. Im gonna get some from SD soon. And thank you.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
A couple of quick builds of the metallic gloss injection HG Unicorns I picked up earlier this month.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Alright you fuckers, this thread clearly needs more Gunpla photos and if no-one else is gonna make them I will! :toughguy:

I've had a bunch of spare parts kicking around for ages, and decided to jazz up my Hi-Mock a bit.

Behold the Hi-Gyan Buster! :goonsay:. The shoulder pods are from the Valuable Pod, the left arm's shield-claw-thing is from the Gunpla Battle Arm Arms set (along with the support arms for the shoulder pods), and the rifle's just from the Leopard Da Vinci to put something in the right hand. I was just gonna go with the missile pods as-is, but I remembered I had the tripods from the Giant Gatling Guns going unused, and they fit, so it has the unholy cross-brand influence of Zoid design in it too courtesy of the Berserk Fury :unsmigghh:.

For a few extra pics, here's what the Giant Gatling Guns actually got used for and why the Leopard Da Vinci doesn't have its rifle;

Finally, a respectable Da Vinci.

Serenade
Nov 5, 2011

"I should really learn to fucking read"

Puddin posted:

Quoting to emphasize how far curing goes. Though my experience is with paint and not coats, letting it dry for real goes a long way.

Also be sure to check the temp / humidity if you're spraying something, there's a good chance nothing will go wrong but there's also a chance everything will go wrong.

Mimir posted:

Thank you. I'm taking notes.
Same.

Yawgmoft
Nov 15, 2004
Finally built my first Zeon kit! Quick pose and picture before I panel line and waterside this Gouf Troop founding member.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
good gouf

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
What is the deal with the Marasai? I've seen a lot of people like the suit and the kits, but I don't see the appeal. Are they just really fun builds? I saw an MG marasai in the shop when I went to pick up my hg Zulu

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 23:12 on Nov 17, 2017

A Bad Place
May 25, 2008
Couple days old, but...

Taintrunner posted:

I'm still waiting on decals before moving on buuuut...

I actually wish the screws for joints was mandatory, they really help keep the joints together in a way I really appreciate.

Hi, sparkly Kampfer buddy! :v:

I just finished this guy today. I'll probably repaint a few pieces where I didn't quite get the finish I wanted, but after that I'll be happy to move on. I totally hated the screws - they never seemed to fit quite right, which made it even more annoying when they stripped immediately... but if it went smoothly for you then I guess I might have been stupid/unlucky. :downsgun:

I love the Kampfer design though! I dig a beefy, heavy-looking mobile suit. Any other good MGs with heft?
(Besides the obviously perfect The-O, the box for which you can see in the background of the pic. I can't wait to go to town on that big yellow boy.)

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Well my Geara Zulu build is frustrating. The A-runner is missing parts for the arm and bicep tubing, and they weren't even loose bits inside the bagging. Looks like clean breaks on the sprues so who the hell knows when they might have vanished. Is there anywhere you can order specific sprue runners from kits or am I hosed?

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Jesus christ this RG Unicorn is on a whole other level compared to other RG kits.

Whatever god the Bandai engineers sacrificed their firstborns to came through with the goods.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
RIP

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

They'll live on, on my shelf.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
I don't understand what's happening here.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

That's the tooling being destroyed, right? I remember when it took a quarter century do pictures of the Delorean body panel dies to surface, this is much faster.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
Yeah they're killing DM's injection molds.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

Arcsquad12 posted:

What is the deal with the Marasai? I've seen a lot of people like the suit and the kits, but I don't see the appeal. Are they just really fun builds? I saw an MG marasai in the shop when I went to pick up my hg Zulu

Its another Zaku-esque. So people like it for that reason.

Also it’s usually pretty cheap to pick up. Why I got it.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

TaurusOxford posted:

:smith: The one kit I had to miss.

Lesson learned, the day somebody makes a MetalBuild 00Q I am pouncing that hard.

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

TaurusOxford posted:

Very nice decals. Did you paint the metal bits (ie the blade shield) or did they come in that sheen?

Chainclaw
Feb 14, 2009

After several months of saving up tickets at the local arcade, I had enough for a Gundam kit. I haven't actually gotten far enough into Iron Blooded Orphans to see either of these, and I didn't realize at the time it was a weird choose-your-own adventure kit, picking between the Gusion or Gusion Rebake. It was the coolest looking kit they had there.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Chainclaw posted:

After several months of saving up tickets at the local arcade, I had enough for a Gundam kit. I haven't actually gotten far enough into Iron Blooded Orphans to see either of these, and I didn't realize at the time it was a weird choose-your-own adventure kit, picking between the Gusion or Gusion Rebake. It was the coolest looking kit they had there.

The short answer is the Gusion is the original version, but Tekkadan killed the pilot and salvaged it. A few days in a workshop and they have the Rebake.

asterioth
Jul 27, 2007

Finished building the MG Rick Dom and good god, this thing shows its age. It's not for basically being a 17 year old kit. I really hope the do a 2.0 of this eventually though.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I finished the bottom half of the PG Strike Gundam and holy poo poo, the articulation on this thing is fuckin' beautiful.

Zark the Damned
Mar 9, 2013

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The short answer is the Gusion is the original version, but Tekkadan killed the pilot and salvaged it. A few days in a workshop and they have the Rebake.

IIRC isn't the rebake the actual unit, but the original pilot had welded a fuckton of extra armour onto it so it looked like an upgraded man rodi?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Zark the Damned posted:

IIRC isn't the rebake the actual unit, but the original pilot had welded a fuckton of extra armour onto it so it looked like an upgraded man rodi?

Nope, it’s the incomplete Gundam frame at the heart of the Gusion returned to a broadly Gundam-like shape with Barbatos and Graze spare parts (plus whatever else the Turbines had lying around their hangar).

We have no idea what the Gusion originally looked like.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

i just put together my first MG kit and i cant believe how poseable it is

i think the decals are dry rubs, any caveats for a first timer? how easy are they to mess up?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

punchymcpunch posted:

i think the decals are dry rubs, any caveats for a first timer? how easy are they to mess up?

They're very easy to mess up as you pretty much only have one chance to do it right.

Just cut out the decal you want and make sure to use masking tape to stick it in place. If you mask over the decal area you can use something like a ball point pen to rub it on and you'll be able to see where you have and haven't rubbed. Too many times I've pulled the decal sheet off only to see I missed a spot. :negative: