Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Timby posted:

They don't have beef, per se, they're just very distant from one another, partially as a result of their upbringing (their father was a drunken, abusive piece of poo poo).

That explains Skip, anyway...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Redgrendel2001 posted:

That's actually pretty mild for him and yeah the brother thing is weird. Totally opposite personalities.
He's not on the Mike Lupica tier of assholes, but he definitely has high salt content. IIRC in the late 90s he had a beef with just about every prominent player not named Michael Jordan. A number of other reporters too, including ones at his own paper.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Dr_Strangelove posted:

That explains Skip, anyway...

Skip by all accounts is a pretty nice but very private guy off camera, and has done everything in his power to keep himself pretty closed off from his family. He seems to know that his on-camera/twitter shtick is exactly that but he's committed to it.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

I read something a few years ago, and I don't remember where, but Skip's siblings don't talk to him because he left to go to Vanderbilt to get away from his hosed up parents and they resented him for it. And IIRC he tried to patch things up with them and they're the ones who refused. And I believe there was something in it about his dad making him drink beer when he was a little kid (like 8 ish) because he thought it was funny.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

sportsgenius86 posted:

I read something a few years ago, and I don't remember where, but Skip's siblings don't talk to him because he left to go to Vanderbilt to get away from his hosed up parents and they resented him for it. And IIRC he tried to patch things up with them and they're the ones who refused. And I believe there was something in it about his dad making him drink beer when he was a little kid (like 8 ish) because he thought it was funny.

I've definitely seen that last part mentioned in a couple profiles on him.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I feel conflicted about Rick Bayless because Frontera is completely underwhelming but the Ahogada at Xoco is amazing

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

morestuff posted:

I feel conflicted about Rick Bayless because Frontera is completely underwhelming but the Ahogada at Xoco is amazing

That habanero salsa is good though.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

https://twitter.com/RohanNadkarni/status/930842364981186560

Finally, I can pay for the content I mute as quickly as possible every time I open a Sports Illustrated link

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

morestuff posted:

I only know Rick Bayless as the guy who does Mexican food cooking shows on PBS, so he's aces in my book.

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

DJExile posted:

Skip by all accounts is a pretty nice but very private guy off camera, and has done everything in his power to keep himself pretty closed off from his family. He seems to know that his on-camera/twitter shtick is exactly that but he's committed to it.

Skip was the very first voice heard on KTCK in Dallas in 1994. He was let go by the station after about two years, when it was sold by the original owners. He didn't really fit with the rest of the station's show's laid-back, conversational tone. KTCK has become a juggernaut in Dallas radio since then, dominating the ratings.

Skip is apparently really bitter about this. He refuses to speak with anyone from the station if they pass one another at a media event or anywhere else. He never mentions his time there, and immediately cuts off anyone who brings it up.

He's a weird dude.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

morestuff posted:

Tortas Frontera is like the GOAT of airport food though and as someone with the misfortune of frequently flying through O’Hare I cannot thank him enough.

He has a restaurant out here somewhere but I can get good Mexican food super cheap in like every strip mall so eh.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

MourningView posted:

Tortas Frontera is like the GOAT of airport food though and as someone with the misfortune of frequently flying through O’Hare I cannot thank him enough.

This is the truest loving thing.

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

How many Bayless' are there?

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is the truest loving thing.

Oh my god yes.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

How many Bayless' are there?

Skip, Rick, Jerryd, maybe a couple more.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

MourningView posted:

He has a restaurant out here somewhere but I can get good Mexican food super cheap in like every strip mall so eh.

I’m never in the right terminal for this. I’m getting there crazy early for a flight today so I might give it a shot, but I’d feel bad cheating on The lovely Chili’s

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

morestuff posted:

I’m never in the right terminal for this. I’m getting there crazy early for a flight today so I might give it a shot, but I’d feel bad cheating on The lovely Chili’s

There’s one in each terminal now I think.

The one I always go to is near B11.

Also, that loving sushi bar near F is loving fantastic too.

trem_two
Oct 22, 2002

it is better if you keep saying I'm fat, as I will continue to score goals
Fun Shoe
Trump is beefing with LaVar Ball via Twitter.

That sums up 2017 pretty well.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Deadspin and The Naked Truth have a deep dive in to bootleg basketball prep schools, notably 22ft Academy

Inspector_666
Oct 7, 2003

benny with the good hair

I remember reading an article about a multi-sport "prep school" like this a while back, the article focused mainly on the baseball team but man it was hosed up and sad.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Inspector_666 posted:

I remember reading an article about a multi-sport "prep school" like this a while back, the article focused mainly on the baseball team but man it was hosed up and sad.
That whole thing was insane and somehow nobody got jailed for it

Crazy Ted
Jul 29, 2003

Every once in a while one of these stories pops up, and every single one of them is infuriating.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I witnessed a signing for one of these fly-by-night schools this spring. Sketchy as poo poo.

The kids who signed with this school had no chance of playing anywhere else, including a larger high school, and perhaps couldn't have even qualified academically for even the nearby community college. And like the College of Faith schools, belongs to the NCAU, which has this for a Facebook page. This is official website of the NCAU. It's a free Wix site.

I can't determine if the NCAU is the craziest or second craziest thing I've had a chance to indirectly experience covering prep sports.

A tiny private religious high school was raided one spring by the Department of Homeland Security for terrible conditions, a few days after it played an area regular private school. It boarded Latino baseball players by crowding them into a moldy gym with limited electricity and to basically fend for themselves. Apparently the basketball program was semi-legit in that one of its graduates got into a Division I major school and was arguably the team's best player for a couple of years.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

The saddest part to me is that there will be no accountability, because our president literally ran a scam private college and as a result is perfectly fine with others doing the same.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

by Athanatos

RC and Moon Pie posted:

I witnessed a signing for one of these fly-by-night schools this spring. Sketchy as poo poo.

The kids who signed with this school had no chance of playing anywhere else, including a larger high school, and perhaps couldn't have even qualified academically for even the nearby community college. And like the College of Faith schools, belongs to the NCAU, which has this for a Facebook page. This is official website of the NCAU. It's a free Wix site.

I can't determine if the NCAU is the craziest or second craziest thing I've had a chance to indirectly experience covering prep sports.

A tiny private religious high school was raided one spring by the Department of Homeland Security for terrible conditions, a few days after it played an area regular private school. It boarded Latino baseball players by crowding them into a moldy gym with limited electricity and to basically fend for themselves. Apparently the basketball program was semi-legit in that one of its graduates got into a Division I major school and was arguably the team's best player for a couple of years.

The NCAU's facebook is good:

quote:

If you don't understand what this is really about then here it is! Keep young men interested in they're educations!

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Deadspin did a report on Prime Prep a few years back that was really excellent. I remember reading it recently and it was probably brought up when Deadspin was reporting on other prep schools like this.

https://deadspin.com/the-miseducation-of-deion-sanders-1684905268

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Is Hoop Dreams still on Netflix? I intended to sit down and watch it for forever and never did.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

Holy poo poo Ringer this is impressive work, a little long, but impressive work nonetheless
https://twitter.com/jga41agher/status/933007260590030849

Metapod
Mar 18, 2012

howe_sam posted:

Holy poo poo Ringer this is impressive work, a little long, but impressive work nonetheless

Why is the ringer doxxing me

Dr_Strangelove
Dec 16, 2003

Mein Fuhrer! THEY WON!

Peanut President posted:

The NCAU's facebook is good:

quote:

If you don't understand what this is really about then here it is! Keep young men interested in they're educations!

Oh. My. God.

Niwrad
Jul 1, 2008

howe_sam posted:

That is really well done. Guy who played the Kemper character was spot-on in his impression.

IMB
Jan 8, 2005
How does an asshole like Bob get such a great kitchen?
Dude, if the actor who plays Ed Kemper ever dies or soemthing, they can just plug that Tyler guy in and never miss a beat. Holy poo poo.

Zeeman
May 8, 2007

Say WHAT?! You KNOW that post is wack, homie!
https://twitter.com/wickterrell/status/938129324535791621

https://twitter.com/TwinkieTown/status/938132872883453952

This should be interesting

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/awfulannouncing/status/938157284039028736

lmao yeah ok

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

I'd be inclined to believe them just because it's hard to imagine they'd be that brazen otherwise.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
I wouldn't believe in any such glitch unless they laid out in detail how it worked. CBS should be ashamed of themselves.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Yea I can’t process how that would even work.

Kibner
Oct 21, 2008

Acguy Supremacy

sportsgenius86 posted:

Yea I can’t process how that would even work.

Probably supposed to be like a news feed where it quotes part of the article and links to it.

Still very loving shady with exactly how poorly it was done. If not intentional, it looks like a WIP that hadn't fleshed out many of the features was deployed.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

Yeah a ton of news feeds have auto-posters that pull from various feeds these days, so it's not impossible, but I've got a very hard time buying it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
For some reason, I'm reminded of a survey a consumer group did regarding mis-pricings at supermarket UPC-scanning registers. Prices go up and down, sometimes the system doesn't update correctly, so you'd expect overcharges and undercharges would be roughly 50/50. But in turned out that 90%+ of the time the mistake (or "mistake") was to the store's advantage.