Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BioTech
Feb 5, 2007
...drinking myself to sleep again...

Finished scenario 4 and for the first time I really felt in control.
Scoundrel, Cragheart and Mindthief all have multiple items, familiar with their skills, managed to get the loot instead of just fill the objective, happy as can be.
All 3 made it to L2 now, so time to re-arrange the deck, pick up perks and keep killing things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OgreNoah
Nov 18, 2003

I'm sad I don't get to play tonight because of various thanksgiving commitments.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

I see this in the rules: "In addition, once a scenario has been completed in campaign mode, it cannot be undertaken again in campaign mode by any party."

Is there a good reason for this? Because I want to dive into a campaign this weekend on my own and then play a campaign later with my group. According to this rule, would we not be allowed to restart at Scenario 1?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
Are you planning on actually keeping both campaigns going at once? Otherwise I'd say just do the solo stuff for a bit without actually stickering things, and then play through with your group as normal.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

The Lord of Hats posted:

Are you planning on actually keeping both campaigns going at once? Otherwise I'd say just do the solo stuff for a bit without actually stickering things, and then play through with your group as normal.

Yeah, I probably would keep both campaigns going simultaneously--mainly because I'll probably want to play Gloomhaven more often than my group can get together. I know there are tools online to track multiple campaigns. I guess I'm just wondering how detrimental that might be to the experience (aside from bookkeeping, which I don't mind).

Can a party of 3 or 4 Level 1 characters start with any scenario? Will the storyline of a campaign make any sense that way?

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

CaptainRightful posted:

I see this in the rules: "In addition, once a scenario has been completed in campaign mode, it cannot be undertaken again in campaign mode by any party."

Is there a good reason for this? Because I want to dive into a campaign this weekend on my own and then play a campaign later with my group. According to this rule, would we not be allowed to restart at Scenario 1?

The reason is so you can't farm a scenario a bunch of times for its rewards. Like say if a boss scenario has a big gold/prosperity reward, you can't just farm the boss for a bunch of money and prosperity.

You can replay scenarios in casual mode, which just means you don't get any of the listed rewards or story progress. You still get any money, XP, treasure, checkmarks, etc that you earn during the scenario, but not the reward listed for completing it in the scenario book.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
I'd recommend just tracking it as two different world, yeah. Not going to be particularly satisfying for your friends if you've already gone and looted the end-of-scenario rewards for yourself in another campaign.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

The Lord of Hats posted:

I'd recommend just tracking it as two different world, yeah. Not going to be particularly satisfying for your friends if you've already gone and looted the end-of-scenario rewards for yourself in another campaign.

This is pretty much what I do. I leave stickers and stuff for the multiplayer campaign with my friends and run my solo campaign completely separate off a spreadsheet where I track my progress.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Cool, that's what I figured I'd do.

EDIT: For anyone else who doesn't want to have to set up your own spreadsheets: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=de.timmcode.ghcampaigntracker.droid

CaptainRightful fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Nov 22, 2017

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Got my copy and punched it! I had only extremely minor issues, a bit of sticky spray stuff to rebind a map tile and a few spots where i had to use a knife to cut where the punch wasn't done well.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

Got my copy and punched it! I had only extremely minor issues, a bit of sticky spray stuff to rebind a map tile and a few spots where i had to use a knife to cut where the punch wasn't done well.

I didn't seem to get my invite to the opening play so get that to me thanks

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.

ShaneB posted:

I didn't seem to get my invite to the opening play so get that to me thanks

hahaha
Did you get a KS copy or a pre-order?

malkav11
Aug 7, 2009

CaptainRightful posted:

If both parties are adventuring in the same world, they both benefit from the same global achievements, unlocks, prosperity, and so on and so they can't double dip by applying rewards from the same scenario run more than once. If you are okay with having separate world progress between the two, just track them separately and it's not an issue.

candide
Jun 16, 2002

The Tipping Point

Funkameleon posted:

Yeah it seems like they intend for you to keep the character boxes you are currently using outside the box, seems silly

Agreed, I hate it. I've resorted to not using the character trays at all.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

ChiTownEddie posted:

hahaha
Did you get a KS copy or a pre-order?

Pre order but I am in Chicago. You need a player I'm your dude.

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

Got everything punched. 3 monster standees, all on the lower left corner of their respective sheets, had the back paper detach from the cardboard core. Easily fixed with plain ol' Elmer's. Also, 2 sheets were offset printed, which is only really noticeable on the summon counters. As a wargamer, I've seen worse.

Spikes32
Jul 25, 2013

Happy trees
What's the average time for a scenario everyone is running? My group of four is sitting at about two to two and a half including doling out rewards and setting up new rooms as we explore them but not initial setup.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS

Spikes32 posted:

What's the average time for a scenario everyone is running? My group of four is sitting at about two to two and a half including doling out rewards and setting up new rooms as we explore them but not initial setup.

2 hours+ is definitely normal for my group of 3-4 players that thinks a lot. If we really focused, avoided socializing and actively made people go quick it could be faster. That's not to talk about city/road events, leveling, shopping, reading stuff, etc.

Ojetor
Aug 4, 2010

Return of the Sensei

60 to 90 minutes for us, but that's after 40+ scenarios. It was closer to 2 hours at the start.

Elblanco
May 26, 2008

Ojetor posted:

60 to 90 minutes for us, but that's after 40+ scenarios. It was closer to 2 hours at the start.

As someone who just discovered this game and doesn't have a copy yet. How many scenarios are in the campaign?

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Elblanco posted:

As someone who just discovered this game and doesn't have a copy yet. How many scenarios are in the campaign?

About 100, but some are unlocked through choices on events or chests in other scenarios, and the storyline branches too. So in one campaign you cannot get to all the scenarios, though nothing’s stopping you from playing all of them

CaptainRightful
Jan 11, 2005

After one day with this game, I can see how the BT organizer will save a ton of setup time and neatly keep the unlocked cards separate from the locked ones. The monster tuck boxes are also particularly helpful.

But it sucks that you can't fit everything back in the box. I'll probably get some kind of file folder for the room tiles, because there's no way I'm going to take the time to carefully align them in the only configuration that (almost) fits, which is certainly not stacked alphabetically.

Vehementi
Jul 25, 2003

YOSPOS
Dollar store organizer:

- world's shittiest accordion binder to alphabetically sort the dungeon tiles
- ziploc bags, one for each monster type: put the AI deck, stat card(s) (multiple types of archer), and standees all in the same baggy
- plano box for all the tokens, 1-hex terrain tiles and stuff like benches
- additional baggy with the 2-3 hex terrain tiles
- plenty of room in the original storage to have separate spots for locked/unlocked card piles
- keep attack modifier decks inside the character pouches
- freezer size ziploc bag for all the "campaign" stuff like sticker sheets, town hall booklet, etc.

I've looked at all the organizers on the market and they're all going to be slower to setup than this. Though this is ugly because you end up just piling the baggies into your box

Vehementi fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Nov 24, 2017

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"
How many letters of dungeon tiles are there?

Bombadilillo
Feb 28, 2009

The dock really fucks a case or nerfing it.

My tiles are in the box big to small. Its faster for me to look at the picture and find the big square with the skeleton then to look at the letters. But ymmv.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I went with the BGG method in the OP. $23 for a four pack of the Plano boxes and $2 for a box of sandwich baggies.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I went with the BGG method in the OP. $23 for a four pack of the Plano boxes and $2 for a box of sandwich baggies.

Where'd you find the 4 pack for $23? I was looking on Amazon and I saw them for about $20 each

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Amazon, make sure you're looking at the page for the 3600, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C...fiVL&ref=plSrch

It's kind of misleading, the picture only shows one but the unit size says 4 pack.

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Amazon, make sure you're looking at the page for the 3600, https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00C...fiVL&ref=plSrch

It's kind of misleading, the picture only shows one but the unit size says 4 pack.

Oh wow, I totally missed that, thanks.

Edit: Does it work with just the four pack? The BGG plan mentioned getting a 3601 as well.

Some Numbers fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Nov 24, 2017

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
I went to something like Tackle Warehouse or whatever.

Good prices, even after shipping.

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

Some Numbers posted:

Oh wow, I totally missed that, thanks.

Edit: Does it work with just the four pack? The BGG plan mentioned getting a 3601 as well.

Yup, they're just slightly different models. If you're going based off the YASS plans from BGG, those are based on the 1st edition which has extra pieces (some useless bless/curse tokens).

For your token box, just divide the 3600 into18 even compartments and it fits everything perfectly.

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
So I haven't been keeping super close tabs on the KS updates but if I'm in North America and haven't gotten my copy by now should I be emailing someone or just chilling?

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

Kai Tave posted:

So I haven't been keeping super close tabs on the KS updates but if I'm in North America and haven't gotten my copy by now should I be emailing someone or just chilling?

Keep chilling. I haven't gotten my shipping notification and my buddy just got his a couple of days ago.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord

Kai Tave posted:

I recommend envy.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Mayday card sleeves are 40% off. And they're already really reasonable.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

So now that many of you have the game l, is it worth $104?

Jordan7hm
Feb 17, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Ropes4u posted:

In the sense that you could resell it for that today, yes.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

Ropes4u posted:

I don't think I've ever spent as much time with a single board game as gloomhaven, and I might have seen maybe 40% of the stuff in the box.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

So I'm about to haul Gloomhaven over to my friends' place for the first time.

We are going to try the 5 player version, with the scaling monster levels and traps by 2. (Anyone have a more detailed version of that? A link would be great - it doesn't totally make sense to me as wouldn't that make our group of level 1 characters fighting level 3 monsters?.)

Our play group is variable, so we're going to often have people coming in and out.

And since I spent like $100 on this, I don't want to... gently caress around with a bunch of stupid rules for preserving some sanctity of the game experience. We're just going to play it and have fun, and if campaign stuff becomes a mess because we die a lot or because so and so wasn't there one week or because some other time we had 5 players. People will play different characters, and each other's characters, week to week. My only rule is going to be "no arguing about gloomhaven."

My gloomhaven box is going to become the fukken anarchy :classiclol: gloomhaven. And I look forward to it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

CommonShore posted:

We are going to try the 5 player version, with the scaling monster levels and traps by 2...

...And since I spent like $100 on this, I don't want to... gently caress around with a bunch of stupid rules for preserving some sanctity of the game experience.

you are already doing the latter by doing the former. I get what you're trying to say, but in this case, playing it 5 player IS a bunch of stupid rules.

There's going the extra distance to preserve the 'sanctity' of the game experience and then there's trying to play a 4 player game with 5 players.

Have fun!