Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

*camera subtly zooms in on Mineta*

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
hooray!

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
The symbol of rest in peace.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.

Fabricated posted:

*plinkett voice* hey everybody it's Midoriya, everyone who teaches him gets maimed or dies! Who wants to teach him? Step right up!

...I'm suddenly wondering what happened to his father now.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
works in another country

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Tollymain posted:

works in another country

He did what he had to do to survive.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Tollymain posted:

works in another country

At least, according to his mother. I bet she told him they released the goldfish in a big pond up state too.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

drat rip nighteye and also me for insisting he wasn't gonna die

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

so much for Eri existing to fix everything bad that happened

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder how nighteye's death will shape eri's character if we ever see her again

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

So like, what are they going to do with Eri now? Their plan right now seems to be "keep her locked in a room so we won't die" and that doesn't seem like a long term solution.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Eraserhead adopts her.

Wacky dad and adopted daughter hijinks where Eraserhead has to rush to elementary school during class to keep his new daughter from accidentally unmaking her peers.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
"Eri you can't revert your bell peppers back to seeds just because you don't like them!"

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Honestly, it seems like the best outcome for Eri would be to use one of those quirk erasing bullets on her. Not like, actually shooting her, just injecting her with the chemical, assuming it would actually work on her. Seems like the best chance of giving her a relatively normal life.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rhonne posted:

Honestly, it seems like the best outcome for Eri would be to use one of those quirk erasing bullets on her. Not like, actually shooting her, just injecting her with the chemical, assuming it would actually work on her. Seems like the best chance of giving her a relatively normal life.

She'd just go double nega because the chemical is based off her quirk, giving her even stronger powers.

I assume.

Vengarr
Jun 17, 2010

Smashed before noon
drat, that was a good chapter.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Rhonne posted:

So like, what are they going to do with Eri now? Their plan right now seems to be "keep her locked in a room so we won't die" and that doesn't seem like a long term solution.
It's been a couple hours at most, jesus, give them some time.

where the red fern gropes
Aug 24, 2011

F

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

Caidin posted:

The symbol of rest in peace.

I appreciated this post.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

Terper posted:

It's been a couple hours at most, jesus, give them some time.

More to the point, the main reason it was even being brought up was, obviously "Do we try to use Eri to save Sir?" And the answer was "No, not only do we not have any idea how her Quirk works, except for me, we have no way of stopping it. And even if we did, we've no idea how it'd react." In short, her power SOUNDS like a miracle... but the truth is that there's way too many things that just complicate even considering using her power. Sure, Sir's dying anyway, it's not like there's anything left to LOSE giving it a try. But that happens if, she not only erases Sir, but her power grows and she erases everyone in the room? Or the hospital? What if it causes a bad reaction in Mirio due to his quirk being nullified? The only character who likely knew exactly how her quirk worked, with plenty of research, was Overhaul. And even on the BEST of days he wouldn't have told them poo poo, even if they did have all the time in the world.

Then there's the moral question "Where does the line end if we do it and this does succeed?" Can you revert All Might to before he gave up One for All? Could you revert his body to before his injury? Or does Emi miss the mark and accidentally turn All Might into a high-school student again who's forced to take classes with everyone else? What if the VA decide to use her to restore All For One? The only way to stop her quirk is with someone like Eraser Head. Okay... what if her power grows in range and wipes him out before he can null her?

In short, they've probably thought about a lot of things once Deku told them, "Her quirk can revert people, even to theoretical non-existent versions of themselves, like if you had been born without a quirk" and concluded "For the one situation that matters right now, we still can't risk it."

And even if they could risk it, they'd be asking her to take the life of a dying man into her hands, and if she failed, or erased him by accident? Would you want that hanging on a kids head?

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
nice sentiment but sooner or later she'll know that nighteye died saving her anyway

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

they do have a way of stopping it: eraserhead

obv it's still not safe tho

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Tollymain posted:

nice sentiment but sooner or later she'll know that nighteye died saving her anyway
lol if you think 'he died saving me' and 'i killed him' are even remotely similar for a little girl

drjuggalo
Jul 26, 2014
anyone think all for one is gonna sooner or later use emi to fix himself (or steal the power) cause he doesnt give a frigging hoot about morals?

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

RatHat posted:

My Hero Academia continuing to break the shounen mold.

Not sure if ironic or serious.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

drjuggalo posted:

anyone think all for one is gonna sooner or later use emi to fix himself (or steal the power) cause he doesnt give a frigging hoot about morals?

I think not, cause I think All For One is too invested in having Shigaraki succeed him.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Not sure if ironic or serious.

Characters dying from their injuries later in a hospital and not immediately is pretty non-shounen.

RatHat fucked around with this message at 10:19 on Nov 24, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!

RatHat posted:

Characters from their injuries later in a hospital and not immediately is pretty non-shounen.

That is a stretch.

Characters dying but in a slow way that allows poignant last words is shonen as gently caress.

Where they do it doesn't matter.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i wonder if this is the v first time midoriya's seen somebody die

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
Side question

Is this a shadow or a new arm injury? I don't remember seeing that dark patch before.

Oh wait it's from the chunk of his arm he blew out fighting Muscular. drat I did not notice the mark before, no loving wonder Dekumom was like "The gently caress he's going back to UA."

Onmi fucked around with this message at 11:26 on Nov 24, 2017

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Oh wow, cool. Good job.
So?
Grimey Drawer
It's a tumor.

This is still very shonen, but it's a very good one.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

That's MHA in a nutshell, really.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I'm glad everyone's worries over lasting consequences were proven wrong. It is interesting that, ultimately, the arc with the most bullshit "make bad things unhappen" power was the one in which characters from both sides of the conflict have died onscreen. I'm not sure that makes this arc any good in hindsight, but maybe we'll look back and think it was brilliant foreshadowing or something a few months from now.

Looking forward to the anime adaptation showing the girls actually fighting.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

GimmickMan posted:

I'm glad everyone's worries over lasting consequences were proven wrong. It is interesting that, ultimately, the arc with the most bullshit "make bad things unhappen" power was the one in which characters from both sides of the conflict have died onscreen. I'm not sure that makes this arc any good in hindsight, but maybe we'll look back and think it was brilliant foreshadowing or something a few months from now.

Looking forward to the anime adaptation showing the girls actually fighting.

Maybe it's cause I read it all at once, and thus didn't have the breaks you guys had to deal with, but I liked this arc. I mean it is longer than a typical arc but that's also because they tried to do it a bit more battle shonen rather than glossing over the other guys stuff. On the whole I think it did a good thing of showing Deku actually getting hero experience where he wasn't, for ONCE told "Deku don't do anything, say anything, or touch anything." Also the scene where he had Emi in his arms when confronted by Overhaul at the start was tense as hell, and it can NOT have been easy for him to not just kick him before he got a word in edgewise. I liked the Big 3, I think Foodman and Pipboy were interesting characters to watch in action... Like it is a little long, but I liked it. Does Deku have a personal reason to want to bust Overhaul's rear end? Not really... but he also doesn't need to. A lot of times a super hero isn't just going to be busting personal villains, they'll be fighting all manner of bad guys. Yeah his only reason to want to beat the poo poo out of Overhaul is that he's been killing and regenerating a little girl to turn her into bullets, has left her traumatized and scarred and heavily abused. And ya know what? That's a pretty good loving reason.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

I also think it is neat that the one thing capable of overcoming a predestined fate isn't one person trying very hard but many of them. It builds up on what OfA represents as a power.

Onmi posted:

Maybe it's cause I read it all at once, and thus didn't have the breaks you guys had to deal with, but I liked this arc. I mean it is longer than a typical arc but that's also because they tried to do it a bit more battle shonen rather than glossing over the other guys stuff. On the whole I think it did a good thing of showing Deku actually getting hero experience where he wasn't, for ONCE told "Deku don't do anything, say anything, or touch anything." Also the scene where he had Emi in his arms when confronted by Overhaul at the start was tense as hell, and it can NOT have been easy for him to not just kick him before he got a word in edgewise. I liked the Big 3, I think Foodman and Pipboy were interesting characters to watch in action... Like it is a little long, but I liked it. Does Deku have a personal reason to want to bust Overhaul's rear end? Not really... but he also doesn't need to. A lot of times a super hero isn't just going to be busting personal villains, they'll be fighting all manner of bad guys. Yeah his only reason to want to beat the poo poo out of Overhaul is that he's been killing and regenerating a little girl to turn her into bullets, has left her traumatized and scarred and heavily abused. And ya know what? That's a pretty good loving reason.

I'd say that, on a per-scene or per-character basis the arc is perfectly fine, it is just that other arcs are so much better. The big three are fine, but they're not Deku's friends. Overhauls falls short of Stain, AfO and the new and much more competent Shigaraki. Eri was better than the kid from the school trip... Until the point where her ridiculous power was revealed and immediately became Chekhov's Deus Ex Machina.

The more I think about it, the more I wonder what Horikoshi was going for with this arc. A lot of it feels like he wanted a bittersweet arc with tragic consequences but he was afraid of killing or depowering people from the main cast, so he introduced new characters just to do it to them instead (and Magnes. RIP). The arc also started and ended with the League of Villains, showing how they're growing into a more cohesive unit. We had Twice's backstory at the very beginning of the arc, even! But then the league stay offscreen for basically the whole arc. This kind of thing didn't happen in previous arcs, which were much better structured and made up something greater than the sum of their individual parts.

I want SJ to give Horikoshi a month off so he can come back to this series refreshed, in top condition and with a more planned-out storyline.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Mordaedil posted:

This is still very shonen, but it's a very good one.

Yeh, nothing wrong with being shonen to your very core if you're good at it. (Most of MHA)

It's when you're not good at it when it's a problem. (Past couple of months)

Slime
Jan 3, 2007
I think the problem with Overhaul is that he's only really interesting in the context of the VA and their interactions with him. He was fun in his introduction because of the tension between his Yakuza and Shigaraki's VA, and then at the end it was interesting seeing Shigaraki kick him while he was down out of sheer contempt for his motivations and his goals. Problem is, most of the arc wasn't about that. I think this arc would have been more interesting had Shigaraki and the VA had a more visible role in it without them being active antagonists to the heroes.

Two Tone Shoes
Jan 2, 2009

All that's missing is the ring.
Well that was a pretty short lived internship.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I wonder what happens now.