Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Great deal on RG Unicorn at B&N, 24.96 with promo code SHOPALLDAY in cart with free shipping. Believe the code works on MG Providence as well.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

parabolic posted:

Great deal on RG Unicorn at B&N, 24.96 with promo code SHOPALLDAY in cart with free shipping. Believe the code works on MG Providence as well.

Thanks for this.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
Rg unicorn is prob top 5 of my fav kits I've built.

The engineering is just insane, I seriously don't know how they pulled it off.

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you
Bernie's Zaku is featured in some shots for the RD Alex, with a date of May 2018 so I guess thats going up for preorder next month or p bandai soon.

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

parabolic posted:

Just noticed RG RX-78 is also on sale for $26 on Amazon.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
I won't link them all individually, but the HG Pacific Rim: Uprising model kits are up for pre-order on HLJ: https://hlj.com/search/go?af=selectseries%3Apacificrim

Also, RG Banshee Norn: https://hlj.com/product/bann21060

Cthulhu Dreams
Dec 11, 2010

If I pretend to be Cthulhu no one will know I'm a baseball robot.
Ive just finished panel lining my PG Astray and Char's Zaku. I kind of feel like I'd be better off freehanding in some of the details rather than using a wash. For a lot of stuff the lines are too wide for the wash to work properly.

Just transfers and top coats and they are done.

Gotta work out what to get next now the backlog is done. Anyone got any suggestions for the next build?

I really want something big and dumb. The PG falcon got vetoed due to reasons of cost - a Neo genesis kit would probably be cool and scale with my wife's nerd shelf but none of them look that exciting.

Cthulhu Dreams fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 28, 2017

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I really want something big and dumb.

MG Perfect Zeong? Get your toaster head on!

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

I really want something big and dumb.

Re 1/100 nightingale

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Big and dumb, not big and beautiful

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
A psycho gundam with a dendrobium modified to fit on the psycho gundam.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Dendrobium Neo Zeong. A mobile suit within a mobile armor within a super mobile armor

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
get the hg neo zeong imo

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Imagine a constant low-level whimpering coming from me for the next two to three hours as I try desperately to not gently caress up what has taken me two years to finish.

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I built the SD Neo Zeong and that's a fun kit that I'll probably end up painting solid gold like a crazy person

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Imagine a constant low-level whimpering coming from me for the next two to three hours as I try desperately to not gently caress up what has taken me two years to finish.

i like how its so large parts of it arent well lit and out of focus

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Are you planning on a matte top coat? That would really make it awe inspiring IMO, though I dont blame you if you'd rather die than break that thing down to all its assemblies.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I can only do so much with a phone camera, no lightbox, and a single standing lamp as my only light source, unfortunately.

I should invest in one of those nice LED lamps but I don't know what else I'd use it for, and it feels like kind of a waste otherwise.

Neurolimal posted:

Are you planning on a matte top coat? That would really make it awe inspiring IMO, though I dont blame you if you'd rather die than break that thing down to all its assemblies.

Probably not, just by virtue of I really really don't want to accidentally end up with frosted parts or potentially mess up the taping on the clear parts and have an eternal reminder that I couldn't leave well enough alone.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 20:03 on Nov 28, 2017

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
That Amazon basics lightbox is a godsend, if a bit pricey.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Cthulhu Dreams posted:

- a Neo genesis kit would probably be cool and scale with my wife's nerd shelf but none of them look that exciting.

https://www.amazon.com/Kotobukiya-Godzilla-Evangelion-Color-Model/dp/B01IAYE0J4

This is cool and good.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
I'm sad the Evangelion/Godzilla mashup never resulted in any [unique] affordable figures, mainly recolors and that gorgeous 300 dollar EVzillA

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Surprising absolutely no one. I do hope when they finally get back to do the baseline RX-79G that they don't give it the frowny face that the Blue Destiny ground Gundams have going on.

We're also getting a robot spirits Zaku Fz

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 20:55 on Nov 28, 2017

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Well I tried to get the lighting as good as I possibly could but it's still a little bit spotty. But finally, three years after paying for it, and two years after starting the build, the Mechanicore Deep Striker is finished. Ish. Still have to decal up the thrusters/fuel tanks and build the rifle/hand but I can finally say I did it.

One grail down.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Nice frag grenade

WorldIndustries
Dec 21, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Well I tried to get the lighting as good as I possibly could but it's still a little bit spotty. But finally, three years after paying for it, and two years after starting the build, the Mechanicore Deep Striker is finished. Ish. Still have to decal up the thrusters/fuel tanks and build the rifle/hand but I can finally say I did it.

One grail down.

that looks so gooooooood

Darkman Fanpage
Jul 4, 2012

Taintrunner posted:

I built the SD Neo Zeong and that's a fun kit that I'll probably end up painting solid gold like a crazy person

Speaking of gold paint I’m doing a HG Shining Gundam kit and thinking about getting a airbrush so I can do the gold parts instead of using stickers. Any suggestions for a first-timer as far as supplies go?

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Arcsquad12 posted:

Nice frag grenade

Believe it or not, it's eerily solid. I suppose considering that literally everything is either screwed in, attached to a piece of diecast, or mounted to a double peg/polycap locking thing for the moving joints.

Edit:

Booyah- posted:

that looks so gooooooood

:respek:

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Nov 28, 2017

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Believe it or not, it's eerily solid. I suppose considering that literally everything is either screwed in, attached to a piece of diecast, or mounted to a double peg/polycap locking thing for the moving joints.
Oh, so it's a blunt weapon.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Though the diminishing of my sense of accomplishment is appreciated I guess.

I only diminish others because of my inferiority complex and lack of desire to build anything larger an 1/144 scale. That thing looks terrifying and I'd probably end up making it a literal frag grenade if I tried to build it.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Funky Valentine posted:

Oh, so it's a blunt weapon.

That I can't argue. Considering the metal needles sticking off of it in a bunch of places and the fact that it weighs ten pounds, this thing could probably serve as a decent home defense weapon if I didn't value it more than my own life.

Best thing is though, the stand is so tall that aside from the big footprint of it, I can display all the figures I want around it so I don't have to devote an entire shelf to it. Just most of one.

Arcsquad12 posted:

I only diminish others because of my inferiority complex and lack of desire to build anything larger an 1/144 scale. That thing looks terrifying and I'd probably end up making it a literal frag grenade if I tried to build it.

Sorry, that was unwarranted on my part, so I edited it out but seems you caught it. :downs:

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
Kudos ace! The amount of effort and love you put into the drat thing is incredibly impressive and paid off in spades; the drat thing looks terrifying in all the right senses of the word.

Though clearly you have much to learn WRT dynamic posing.

In less impressive news, after multiple months (possibly even a year) after making the mold in the first place, I've finally altered the mold for my Shading Gundam's clear parts enough for the clear resin to successfully reach all of the parts! I know that doesn't sound impressive, but since it was my first-ever mold I went waaaay overboard with the number of parts in it, which means for the past half year-year I've been casting, cleaning up anything that successfully casted, retooled the mold to have more channels for air pockets where it failed to reach, repeat xinfinity.

In brighter news, I've started molding the fire parts and it took a whopping two casts to get one that's drat close to perfect. I guess that's what happens when you put in 2 parts instead of 9 :v:

Triggerhappypilot
Nov 8, 2009

SVMS-01 UNION FLAG GREATEST MOBILE SUIT

ENACT = CHEAP EUROTRASH COPY

Neurolimal posted:

Dependent on where you live obviously, but if your apartment complex has any outdoor area, you aren't somewhere windy, and there exist outdoor sockets an airbrush setup isn't exactly heavy-duty equipment.

Plus, Natural lighting! :v:

God help you if you lose any tiny parts. If the carpet is a monster, the great outdoors must be an elder god.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Neurolimal posted:

Though clearly you have much to learn WRT dynamic posing.

:haw:

Neurolimal posted:

In less impressive news, after multiple months (possibly even a year) after making the mold in the first place, I've finally altered the mold for my Shading Gundam's clear parts enough for the clear resin to successfully reach all of the parts! I know that doesn't sound impressive, but since it was my first-ever mold I went waaaay overboard with the number of parts in it, which means for the past half year-year I've been casting, cleaning up anything that successfully casted, retooled the mold to have more channels for air pockets where it failed to reach, repeat xinfinity.

That sounds way more impressive to me, tbh. Outside of like halfhearted attempts at plaplate modelling and some custom panel line etching, customization like that is way out of the league of anything I could ever do.

That's what third resin molders on Taobao are for :neckbeard:

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak

Darkman Fanpage posted:

Speaking of gold paint I’m doing a HG Shining Gundam kit and thinking about getting a airbrush so I can do the gold parts instead of using stickers. Any suggestions for a first-timer as far as supplies go?

Get a compressor with a tank, it will help with even air delivery for times you are spraying for extended periods.

Clean the tip of the airbrush regularly to avoid spotting, paint will dry on the tip and needs to be cleaned.

Clean the airbrush thoroughly, every time you finish. This is the most important part of it. Learn how to dismantle and put the airbrush back together.

Start off with water based acrylics first as they are super easy to work with and clean up. The solvent based paints will require a mask as they are very potent in fumes.

There are a great number of starter tutorials on the web, I must have spent a whole day watching and reading before I attempted it.

It's a little daunting, but it's actually not that hard and ultimately very rewarding.

E: I've thought lately of writing a guide for beginners from a beginners perspective for airbrushing. I know there's the laymans-gunpla-guide site but it's very general in its descriptions in parts.

Puddin fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Nov 28, 2017

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tip dry is a real problem with many solutions. Keeping the needle oiled helps. Running at lower pressures also helps. If you are just starting would do a single action airbrush so you adjust pressure on the regulator and modulate paint flow with the trigger.

Thin your paints into milk like consistency like when painting miniatures. Use paints formulated for air to ensure the pigments are finely ground. Too thick will make tip dry worse. Too thin just means more coats resulting in a much smoother end product

There are many airbrushers here so ask specific questions and we can answer. Anything general can just be googled

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Sorry, that was unwarranted on my part, so I edited it out but seems you caught it. :downs:

Don't worry about it. I was being a dick.

Neurolimal
Nov 3, 2012
On top of everyone else's great advice, don't just focus the brush on the target area. You will very quickly saturate it and cause pooling. Instead, spray across the project at a decent pace, so you can gauge how saturated an area is before you do a second pass.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arcsquad12 posted:

Don't worry about it. I was being a dick.

Mine was also a compliment on the size not your lighting and camera work

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

One grail down.

Holy loving poo poo dude

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoBob
Jul 31, 2008

Good poo poo, Aces. You're a maniac, but someone has to build these monstrosities. I can't even imagine putting something like that together, but it's been really cool seeing your progress shots over the last two years.