Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
To be fair I get the impression the slaps are meant to evoke manzai.

For those that don't know what that is, manzai is a very popular type of japanese comedy involving a funny man (the boke) and a straight man (the tsukkomi), where the boke will do or say something silly and the tsukkomi will reply with a dope slap with his hand or a paper fan (the paper fan you see in Smash Bros, in fact).
It's extremely common and you'll see the general structure everywhere, including character pairs. For example, if you watch Girls' Last Tour, Chito is the tsukkomi and Yuuri is the boke.

So yeah, slapstick. I bet it doesn't even register as problematic to the japanese audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
where is this chapter about hauler flying

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
It's up for free on Viz's site.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice
https://www.viz.com/shonenjump/chapter/my-hero-academia-vigilantes-chapter-18/6465?read=1

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Jesus christ, a manga reader that requires flash in 2017.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo
Oh cool, I should catch up on Vigilantes.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Kanos posted:

Jesus christ, a manga reader that requires flash in 2017.

yeah, that's pretty heinous

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!
Maybe since he hasn't trained his repulsion strength his quirk hasn't evolved much from when he was a baby, and now he's like 30 times heavier.

Also this basically makes his quirk the Ironman repulsors.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I don't like her but I don't think I'm supposed to like her. I think the idea is to give a reason why he's restrained with his powers and why he'll eventually dig deeper. It's unpleasant, but the manga is literally saying he was traumatized and has to get over that hurdle to progress. It's being more direct about what limits him and how he'll grow.

Which works for me.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

Your life's been thrown in disarray already--I wouldn't want you to feel pressured.

College Slice

Spiderdrake posted:

I don't like her but I don't think I'm supposed to like her. I think the idea is to give a reason why he's restrained with his powers and why he'll eventually dig deeper. It's unpleasant, but the manga is literally saying he was traumatized and has to get over that hurdle to progress. It's being more direct about what limits him and how he'll grow.

Which works for me.

His mom is terrible, but his knucklemom is fantastic so it all works out.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
She abused her baby into mediocrity because she couldn't be bothered to go buy a child leash.

Mystic Mongol
Jan 5, 2007

College Slice

PMush Perfect posted:

She abused her baby into mediocrity because she couldn't be bothered to go buy a child leash.

And now Knuclemom is teaching him to achieve greatness where he belongs, in the garbage.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

PMush Perfect posted:

It's one case where a leash or perhaps a babycage would be warranted. This probably isn't even an uncommon problem!

Do you have a floating baby? We have a whole line of leashes, cages, and weighted onesies.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mr. Fowl posted:

It's one case where a leash or perhaps a babycage would be warranted. This probably isn't even an uncommon problem!

Do you have a floating baby? We have a whole line of leashes, cages, and weighted onesies.

Sounds like a way to accidentally train your baby to be even stronger!!

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mr. Fowl posted:

kid leashes actually give the kids more autonomy since it gives them a greater freedom of movement when the alternative is just being tied to holding mom and dad's hands.

Babysitter Super Sleuth
Apr 26, 2012

my posts are as bad the Current Releases review of Gone Girl

Mr. Fowl posted:

and weighted onesies.

rock lee.mov

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

It's like a balloon that poops!

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled
Note that his mom didn't crush his dreams at all. He was allowed to apply to a hero school and missed the entry test because he saved someone on the way.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
yeah im erring on the side of slapstick with a side of asian parent strictness here

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Scholtz posted:

In this world where anyone could be a shonen protagonist, you gotta get an edge wherever you can

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

https://gematsu.com/2017/11/hero-academia-ones-justice-announced-ps4-switch

Game trailer at Jump Festa

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Scholtz posted:

Help doctor, my baby keeps pinning me 10 seconds after the bell!

Edit: did Nighteye do one last prediction on Mirio and see that he’d be just fine?

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Even without a prediction quirk anyone could see Mirio will be just fine!

Solanumai
Mar 26, 2006

It's shrine maiden, not shrine maid!
Even if he did use his quirk, maybe it'll just be wrong anyway. Mirio don't need no predictions.

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Yeah it's implied his eye thing was confirming to himself Mirio would still be awesome to give him peace on the way out but as has been said Lemillion is cool and doesn't need a prediction that he will bounce back.

I guess the real question is if it will be as a quirkless hero or not.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Just have him take two steps into the room with the rewind quirk kid.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Because Eri's power is so weird narratively if they say she can fix Mirio or they say she can't it make as much narrative sense to me tbh. On one hand she can revert things to a previous form but on the other it's her ability that stripped him of his powers so I don't think it should be able to reverse it's reversal. The whole thing is pretty shoddy though so I don't really care as long as I get more Mirio.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Horikoshi is getting to do an official MHA x Star Wars crossover poster.

EmmyOk
Aug 11, 2013

Fabricated posted:

:getin:

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Stain will be Darth Maul.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Fabricated posted:

Seriously?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Yonkou Productions has said as much and they've been right about these sort of things pretty much every time.

https://twitter.com/YonkouProd/status/936163361867276288

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

How does something like that get negotiated? Is there a MHA fan at Disney that thinks up a cool idea and knows a guy at Jump?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Radish posted:

How does something like that get negotiated? Is there a MHA fan at Disney that thinks up a cool idea and knows a guy at Jump?

Disney might just look at what's popular in Japan and go from there.

Or it could be like KH where two executives met in an elevator

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

Or it could be like KH where two executives met in an elevator
Please tell me this story.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Jump also did a Star Wars/One Piece crossover before the Force Awakens, so this just seems like something they do from time to time.

Whoever dresses as Lando will be the traitor.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

PMush Perfect posted:

Please tell me this story.

quote:

The Square Enix Japan office happened to be in the same building where Disney’s gaming division was,” recalls long-time series director Tetsuya Nomura, who appeared on the D23 panel, and was visibly moved by the crowd reaction. “It just so happened that our executive producer, Mr Shinji Hashimoto, and a Disney executive rode the elevator together."

“They would have conversations saying, ‘Wouldn’t it be nice for us to do something collaborative?’ So rather than having either Square or Disney approach the other with a formal business plan, it was all down to being in the same building!”

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Rhonne posted:

Jump also did a Star Wars/One Piece crossover before the Force Awakens, so this just seems like something they do from time to time.

Whoever dresses as Lando will be the traitor.

For those that haven't seen it:

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gently caress yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Ooh, it's gonna be on the Switch. We might actually get a localization then.