Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
I always wear rash guards and spats with my gi. Aside from it feeling weird with out, I like a good sweat and feeling hot after a while. Makes the rolls that much more fun. Plus, it's more hygienic with not having sweat just dripping off onto people or on me.

Drewjitsu posted:

IBJJF tournaments are about the only thing I can think of where you can't wear a rashguard under your gi.

And who does gi tournaments anymore? :v:

You can't even wear shorts past your knee for IBJJF apparently. A teammate found that out the wrong way.

Add Grappling Games to that list.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Having a completely soaked cotton t-shirt suction itself to your face and mouth in no gi is a bit better than a bare chest but it is still pretty gross.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Yuns posted:

Having a completely soaked cotton t-shirt suction itself to your face and mouth in no gi is a bit better than a bare chest but it is still pretty gross.

One of the guys I train with is headed to NYC this week, he wanted to pop by the morning class at Renzo's...Are you still there early mornings?

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Yuns posted:

cotton is no good. they make stuff that dries in seconds nowadays

Pocket Billiards
Aug 29, 2007
I wear a rashguard out of courtesy under my gi. I'm hairy to the point of ridicule and I don't think anyone wants to buried in that poo poo when I'm mounted on them.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

JaySB posted:

One of the guys I train with is headed to NYC this week, he wanted to pop by the morning class at Renzo's...Are you still there early mornings?
Yes. I am still around in the morning. John is in California this week and so Doug is teaching no gi. Renzo may be teaching Zeds gi class on Thursday morning.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Here in Korea you get looks for not wearing a rashguard and spats.

Also anyone got tips for covering blisters in athletic tape? It always comes off and just makes my blisters on my fingers worse as a result of the pulling and tearing.

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
Use roll gauze or nonadhesive padding tape under the bandage tape.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Never heard of rolk gauze. Is that much like normal gauze bandages?

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

Unfunny Poster posted:

Never heard of rolk gauze. Is that much like normal gauze bandages?

It's gauze...that comes rolled up. In a roll. :geno:

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
For some reason I read that as RollGauze, a lovely minor company that makes gauze just for jiu jitsu or something.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

So that Japanese Olympic judo gold medalist and convicted rapist who had a Persona 5 boss based on him competed in a Jiu Jitsu tournament this weekend...as a blue belt. He won. :toot:

I gotta say if I went to a grappling tournament and my opponent in the blue belt division was an Olympic gold medal-winning judoka (also a rapist) I wouldn't be too happy.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 12:00 on Nov 29, 2017

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
Congrats to the powerful rapist

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

Marching Powder posted:

Congrats to the powerful rapist

turns out wrestling isn't actually the strongest base for grappling

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So that Japanese Olympic judo gold medalist and convicted rapist who had a Persona 5 boss based on him competed in a Jiu Jitsu tournament this weekend...as a blue belt. He won. :toot:

I gotta say if I went to a grappling tournament and my opponent in the blue belt division was an Olympic gold medal-winning judoka (also a rapist) I wouldn't be too happy.

cool i love that game. maybe i should thank that guy for being a serial rapist in an email

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

the grappling/mma threads are the strangest ven diagrams

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Almost fainted today (from cardio, not chokes)

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.

vaginal facsimile posted:

Almost fainted today (from cardio, not chokes)

cool story, we were rolling at the end of a session, and me and this more advanced white belt were having a particularly competitive roll and we had an unspoken agreement to just carry on. the rest of the class was watching us flail and everyone's offering advice. class + ~10 minutes has gone past and i'm absolutely loving wrecked and my opponent gets me in a sort of armbar that i probably could have got out of and i tapped out of sheer exhaustion but hoping to save face. head coach: *cough* bullshit. i'll never tap to exhaustion again. humiliating.

thanks for reading my story of being bitch made

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
We got a few big guys (im around 165) and I've definitely wanted to tap when they had 260lbs on my chest

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.
I dunno, I think it's perfectly legitimate to tap once completely drained and incapable of defending further, especially against big strong dudes that know how to bring the weight on you. You know you've got to work on cardio. I don't know if there's a point in refusing to acknowledge that fact.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

you can work on cardio by continuing to work when completely drained. the best advice I've ever been given is "you're not that tired"

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
That's a good way to get injured while rolling. Stop when you feel like it.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

my bat mitzvah ROCKED posted:

We got a few big guys (im around 165) and I've definitely wanted to tap when they had 260lbs on my chest

I tapped to that before, too, and the kid said "it's a blessing and a curse"

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Tezcatlipoca posted:

That's a good way to get injured while rolling. Stop when you feel like it.

Agreed. I try to be very injury-conscious, and my rule is that I stop when I feel like I have one roll left in me. Most of my preventable injuries have happened during that "ok one more roll" roll.

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

Tapping means, "Great work you would have killed/incapacitated/restrained me had this been a real situation, I cant continue please stop." So tap when you feel like it.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

I feel like telling people it's ok to quit as soon as they feel uncomfortable or tired in the brutal grappling arts is not good advice, but I am also frequently injured

e: also young

Tezcatlipoca
Sep 18, 2009
It's just a hobby. If you're training for a competition or need better cardio there are better and safer ways to make gains than rolling while you're already exhausted.

flashman
Dec 16, 2003

Once I'm gassed on the fourth or fifth roll and someone with 50lbs + gets me in side control and squashes unless I have good frames thats a tap. At a certain point my fitness level fails me and it's not productive for me to lie there and get crushed. I'm also a beginner and an old man who needs an uninjured body for work so I err on the side of safety.

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

flashman posted:

Once I'm gassed on the fourth or fifth roll and someone with 50lbs + gets me in side control and squashes unless I have good frames thats a tap. At a certain point my fitness level fails me and it's not productive for me to lie there and get crushed. I'm also a beginner and an old man who needs an uninjured body for work so I err on the side of safety.

What up old man beginner buddy :hfive:

Getting smashed by blue belts is my game

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Fighting isn't easy

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

Tezcatlipoca posted:

It's just a hobby. If you're training for a competition or need better cardio there are better and safer ways to make gains than rolling while you're already exhausted.

Some people have trouble disassociating a hobby from the rest of their life, or don't understand why others may do so, unfortunately.

Neon Belly fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Dec 1, 2017

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

Neon Belly posted:

Some people have trouble disassociating a hobby from the rest of their life, or don't understand why others may do so, unfortunately.

i bet there is a strong correlation between cardio tapping and meek burns like the above

Neon Belly
Feb 12, 2008

I need something stronger.

fight me

Nierbo
Dec 5, 2010

sup brah?
There was a karate black belt in his 50s who started judo the same day as me and ended up lasting only 3-4 months. Really liked him and I think I went too hard a few times, specially with newaza. Hopefully I didn't contribute to him quitting. Sorry Emmanuel :-(

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Nierbo posted:

There was a karate black belt in his 50s who started judo the same day as me and ended up lasting only 3-4 months. Really liked him and I think I went too hard a few times, specially with newaza. Hopefully I didn't contribute to him quitting. Sorry Emmanuel :-(

Theres a good friend of mine I used to work with that's a good 15 years older than I am and quit smoking around the same time he started BJJ a few months ago. He's wrecked from a few injuries he's acquired over the years, popped ribs and stuff so he get to his peak much faster than me. At this point it's understandable but I think he's getting some more grit every time he leaves the door.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I suck at armbars

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

vaginal facsimile posted:

I suck at armbars

:smithcloud: :respek: :smithcloud:

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Me too bro.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Joe Soto just got vapourizered in the UFC by a guy making his debut.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Defenestrategy
Oct 24, 2010

CommonShore posted:

Joe Soto just got vapourizered in the UFC by a guy making his debut.

That's my second favorite move of all time I have to say.