Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Momomo
Dec 26, 2009

Dont judge me, I design your manhole

Manatee Cannon posted:

the biggest swerve they could pull with freeza is to make him totally legit in his promise with goku

Did he even really promise anything? I remember the agreement was just that he'd fight on their team, and Goku would wish him back. He didn't say anything about what would happen afterwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016
Holy poo poo did this episode just completely rule?

No joking, I may have liked it even more than the special or Kefla episode

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
the actual most squandered character are literally all of these amazing characters and ideas who get to split a single 23 minute episode with another amazing character before unceremoniously dying.

This entire arc, now more then ever, just feels like wasted potential; all these cool ideas are coming out now and they get 1 episode to show off before being destroyed. they should have just have universe v universe tournaments in a format like the first 6v7 tournament instead of this battle royal.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

building up a character for the entire series and then throwing him away in the eleventh hour is way worse than fake killing new characters when they're obviously gonna get revived anyway

Momomo posted:

Did he even really promise anything? I remember the agreement was just that he'd fight on their team, and Goku would wish him back. He didn't say anything about what would happen afterwards.

yea you're right. I just meant him not betraying them

IWW Online Branch
Apr 20, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
U6 and U2's erasure was strangely upbeat, compared to how heavy and tragic they played it with U9 and 10. Swear to god though, I thought Beerus was about to start crying at the end.

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum
Holy poo poo tUniverse 2 live broadcasted the Tournament of Power? Goddamn that is depressing as hell to think about, watching the advent of your own universe's undoing in real time.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

17 and 18 playing the heels is so great :allears:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

The two worst Universes are gone and I could barely enjoy it because the odd atmosphere the episode had. Neither team seemed to really give a poo poo that they were being erased from existence. The writers could at least pretend like these erasures are permanent.

If you're gonna go you may as well go being happy. Not like freaking out is going to do anything about it. They probably came to terms with that already after seeing 2 other universes erased.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Manatee Cannon posted:

building up a character for the entire series and then throwing him away in the eleventh hour is way worse than fake killing new characters when they're obviously gonna get revived anyway

It's not like they're going to come back for more fights; this was them showing off how cool they are and the end result was 'man I wish there was more but I know there aren't gonna be.'

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

dr rota or pepsiman getting knocked out is squandered potential on the level of monster carrot never being mentioned again

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Saagonsa posted:

If you're gonna go you may as well go being happy. Not like freaking out is going to do anything about it. They probably came to terms with that already.
I don't know how many people can just be okay with being erased. No heaven, no hell, just cessation of existence. Either way, the writers are pretty much just telling us that these erasures don't matter and the ToP has no tension. So why should we care?

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Stallion Cabana posted:

It's not like they're going to come back for more fights; this was them showing off how cool they are and the end result was 'man I wish there was more but I know there aren't gonna be.'

If you don't think at the very least u6 will ever be relevant again you're just horribly wrong.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They'll all be back for the omniversal baseball koshien arc.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I don't know how many people can just be okay with being erased. No heaven, no hell, just cessation of existence. Either way, the writers are pretty much just telling us that these erasures don't matter and the ToP has no tension. So why should we care?

Why would you care about anything in dragonball at this point? Like, unless you're incredibly stupid there's really no other way imaginable that this ends.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
It wasn't as show stopping as Kefla but the Namekians got a pretty awesome highlight. Reaching out of the Kamehameha to kick Gohan's rear end was the coolest thing in the episode.

Ekusukariba
Oct 11, 2012

Manatee Cannon posted:

yea you're right. I just meant him not betraying them
the newly revived Freeza will have to live at Kame house due to no longer having a galactic empire, slice of life episodes follow

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Do you know what show you are watching? I think you don't know what show you are watching

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

they way they acted was in character for those characters

especially u6 because they've had goku and vegeta both directly state and imply that they're gonna bring them back with the super dragon balls

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

lezard_valeth posted:

Do you know what show you are watching? I think you don't know what show you are watching
Well I guess I can excuse bad writing then, fair enough.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?

Ekusukariba posted:

the newly revived Freeza will have to live at Kame house due to no longer having a galactic empire, slice of life episodes follow

Someone needs to babysit Bra.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Saagonsa posted:

If you don't think at the very least u6 will ever be relevant again you're just horribly wrong.

I'm not worried about Saiyans.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Goku doesn't care about namek people

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

The two worst Universes are gone and I could barely enjoy it because the odd atmosphere the episode had. Neither team seemed to really give a poo poo that they were being erased from existence. The writers could at least pretend like these erasures are permanent.

If you are going to go, go on your terms. devolving into tears and sadness doesn't help. Continuing to be yourself to the end is the message. I thought it was really great the way they decided to go out.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

This episode was really great and now I'm sad.
I was not expecting these guys to put up such a good fight, they were just glorified extras up until now.

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

I'd really really rather not link to tvtropes, but apparently obvious things need to be explained in tedious painstaking detail here.
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GoOutWithASmile

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Well I guess I can excuse bad writing then, fair enough.

Complaining about death not being taken serious and dramatically in Dragon Ball is the equivalent to, for example, complaining that the angels in Neon Genesis Evangelion are brainless monsters of the week. In both cases, it was never what the show was about.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

like you engage with pop culture enough to have paid real life money to post on an internet forum but somehow this is the first time you've seen characters in a show do the "well we're gonna die so might as well be happy for the time we have left" thing?

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos
Seriously, that choked me up even more how u2 and u6 decided to go out. Like how U2 went out I"m like ok I dislike Ribranne and them less now, and it's not because they are dead. It's like as someone said, they broadcasted the TOP to their Universe. That's gotta take some balls as other universes are probably unaware of poo poo right now.

Champa being a smug poo poo til the end is so like him.

Shindragon fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Dec 3, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, the idea was clearly that Universe 2 faced their end with (for them) dignity and grace. It is why Android 18 and 17 were like "huh, at the end, they managed to be cool."

IncendiaC
Sep 25, 2011
That episode singlehandedly redeemed U2. The TOP would have been so much better if more of the non-main teams got moments like that. The U6 Namekians finally getting the spotlight with a sweet fight was great, and the reveal (while very predictable) was handled well too.

This episode was just really well done in general. We finally got multiple extended team fights involving the secondary characters. I would have liked this arc a lot more if we got episodes like this instead of everything being a Goku episode or Generic Jobber of the Week.

BurningDance
Apr 27, 2010
Father-Son Special Beam Kamehameha was pretty rad.

Oh Snapple!
Dec 27, 2005

Dead honest I think that might actually be the best episode of Super. At least if you're not counting that Pan episode with Goku recovering from SSB Kaioken.

lezard_valeth
Mar 14, 2016

BurningDance posted:

Father-Son Special Beam Kamehameha was pretty rad.

:yeah:

The Awesomesaurus
Feb 15, 2006

I'm too cool to be extinct.

That music that started playing after Gohan saved Piccolo/when the U2 dudes made that black hole heart was pretty sick.

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
The Nail and Kami flashback was cool as hell too. Also whoever said the U6 Namekians absorbed all of their kind to fight was right.

Fantastic episode all around.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem

lezard_valeth posted:

Complaining about death not being taken serious and dramatically in Dragon Ball is the equivalent to, for example, complaining that the angels in Neon Genesis Evangelion are brainless monsters of the week. In both cases, it was never what the show was about.

It's more like complaining that Swiper never got a good shot at Dora.

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Crabtree posted:

Holy poo poo tUniverse 2 live broadcasted the Tournament of Power? Goddamn that is depressing as hell to think about, watching the advent of your own universe's undoing in real time.

I didn't think this could be any more humiliating and then it turns out everyone in her universe got to watch it happen live. Might take a while to live that one down.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

that was a really good episode. honestly, it feels like dragonball super might be at it's high point right now. whatever comes next will have a hard time being more fun and interesting than this, and the rapid-fire cool concepts we're seeing like these namekians and the black hole attack will be hard to top if they just go back to the badguys who are Really Strong. i hope Jiren has some interesting stuff going on once he's actually challenged and isn't just another big strong dude

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"
Man, now I really wish the U6 Namekians got more of a showing. They single-handedly became my favorite characters in U6.

TheLoneStar
Feb 9, 2017

Hit will always be my main man from U6, but the Namekians were still cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cabbit
Jul 19, 2001

Is that everything you have?

The U2 Namekians are awesome, especially the skinny one who clawed his loving way through a goddamn beam struggle just to try and beat Gohan's rear end. That guy is rad.