Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
I don't hate rain when I'm prepared for it, but today it was raining just enough to get my visor wet but not enough to actually scrub any standing water/dirt off of it, so I couldn't loving see. Visor down? Fog and stars. Visor up? Rain in my eyes.

It was more a nuisance than particularly difficult to deal with, but what else is this thread for if not complaining about mild annoyances?

Collateral Damage posted:

I use the kill switch too, but I also never leave the bike without making sure the steering lock is engaged.

Despite it being useless at actually preventing determined thieves, my insurance is specifically invalidated if I don't use the steering lock, so yeah.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 20:39 on Dec 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Protip: turn your bike off by key only. Never touch the killswitch.

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib

MomJeans420 posted:

Yeah it's completely stupid, I need to get in the habit of just turning the key off rather than hitting the kill switch

Both. You have to do both. Killswitch, then you can take your hand off the bars to turn off the key. This is like when people can't start their bike because they forgot the killswitch. Start up procedure is key then killswitch. These bikes are designed to be turned off and started in this order, and there is no benefit to deviating.

Good motorcycle habits are good.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Every time I turn off by killswitch I inevitably have a short panic wondering why my bike won't start the next day. Because I always forget to turn it back on. So, yeah.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This is what I do. Is there legitimate harm in this? :confused:

Coydog
Mar 5, 2007

Fallen Rib
If you can't remember to flip a thumbswitch to kill the engine, and flip one to turn it on, maybe you shouldn't be doing complicated things like riding motorcycles. Maybe a razor scooter would be more your speed. Or some heelies.

Ya'll should probably stay away from guns, FYI.

Coydog fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Dec 5, 2017

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Fifty Three posted:

This is what I do. Is there legitimate harm in this? :confused:

There is none and is in fact the recommended and only sane way to manage a bikes ignition status.

Fats
Oct 14, 2006

What I cannot create, I do not understand
Fun Shoe

Coydog posted:

Both. You have to do both. Killswitch, then you can take your hand off the bars to turn off the key. This is like when people can't start their bike because they forgot the killswitch. Start up procedure is key then killswitch. These bikes are designed to be turned off and started in this order, and there is no benefit to deviating.

Good motorcycle habits are good.

I used to do this, but the Triumph boards all say that it’s somehow bad to hit the kill switch on the STriple unless you need to. It clears ~fueling adaptation~ or something.

I have noticed that you can hear stepper motors moving around when you shut down with just the key (kinda makes a dialup modem noise), and that doesn’t happen with the kill switch off, so it’s clearly doing something... but I don’t know what.

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I do this and still have left the keys in the ignition. I think it comes from all the helmet and gloves removing futzing about, and if you've got something bungee netted to the seat you need to remove. I've just plain forgotten. Sometimes I've taken them out but then left them in the seat lock, or luggage lock. It's just something about bike keys, they just like getting left behind and making you feel like an idiot.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Oh aye, I've left them in the topcase overnight a few times when I've had my hands full.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

There is none and is in fact the recommended and only sane way to manage a bikes ignition status.

:agreed: bikes need to hurry up and implement keyless starting en masse like cars have, loving redundant having two completely different (and differently wired!) on/off switches on one device.

Infinotize
Sep 5, 2003

Ignition only, of course. I'm super weird and have wired headlight cutoff toggle switches into my dash on one of my bikes (I blame electrical system PTSD from owning an Aprilia).

Also cool people have lego figurine keychains. Bike key / keychain always separate, never bundled with house keys. I do this with cars too and I'm not sure how I haven't lost one yet.

Just to cement my insanity diagnosis, I hate keyless systems whenever I have them in rental cars. I am way too OCD and have to put the fob thing somewhere. I worry if I had one on a bike I might leave it on a table in a garage or something and ride off and strand myself.

Infinotize fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Dec 5, 2017

kuffs
Mar 29, 2007

Projectile Dysfunction

Infinotize posted:

Just to cement my insanity diagnosis, I hate keyless systems whenever I have them in rental cars. I am way too OCD and have to put the fob thing somewhere. I worry if I had one on a bike I might leave it on a table in a garage or something and ride off and strand myself.

Just put it in the pocket of your riding jacket.

Also keyless bikes have warning lights for when the fob leaves the immediate vicinity.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also keyless systems are (or can be) really really sensitive. I have an 08 G35, so, not a new car by any means and it can tell if the key is in or out of the car down to a couple of inches, it can also specifically tell if the key is in the trunk. Putting the key in the back seat won’t trip the trunk lock bounce, and having the key even a couple inches out of the window won’t let the car start

What I’m saying is there is no way you’d be able to start your bike and drive off without the key in your pocket if manufacturers design the system that way. They had that tech 10 years ago.

Also yes, there are warnings a plenty when you try to leave without the key.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

My favorite is the Mercedes anti-jack system where if the car is running and the key leaves the vehicle, you get 100m of driving them everything shuts off and the alarm activates.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
Regarding keys, my bike came with two and I just keep one each in my winter and summer jacket. Never interacts with other keys, never lost.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

The FZ-09 has both a combo killswitch-starter-button and also a key that is a pain to reach while you're on the bike.

So it evens out?

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

I realized when I was putting the new battery in that part of the problem is I have my new tank bag in extended mode, so it makes it harder to see the key in the ignition. I think I'll just change my habit to turning the bike off with the key, I don't know why I bother with the killswitch now that I think about it, just one more thing to dick with. Although I used to just turn it off by putting the kickstand down, but I felt bad about that for some reason. I can't imagine it really matters though, it just seemed rude.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

MomJeans420 posted:

I realized when I was putting the new battery in that part of the problem is I have my new tank bag in extended mode, so it makes it harder to see the key in the ignition. I think I'll just change my habit to turning the bike off with the key, I don't know why I bother with the killswitch now that I think about it, just one more thing to dick with. Although I used to just turn it off by putting the kickstand down, but I felt bad about that for some reason. I can't imagine it really matters though, it just seemed rude.

The killswitch and kickstand are in a series circuit to the ignition system. They are electrically equivalent.

I have a long downhill driveway. I hit the killswitch at the top of the driveway, and when the cooling fan turns off a hundred feet later, I turn the key off. I'm coasting in neutral the entire way down to the garage. I pull the bike into the garage and shut off the petcock. I leave the key in the bike, turned off, then leave and lock the garage.

Turning the bike back on is already enough of a three-ring-circus due to the ancient design and crappy modded carbs and ignition system that I basically have to run a checklist. Killswitch: RUN, Key: ON, throttle: twist four times, starter: crank four seconds until the cough, WAIT TEN SECONDS, repeat throttle twist and crank cycle until the bike runs.

However, I have accidentally killed three batteries by turning the key too far past off to "P", so that wire is cut on the ignition switch. WTF is the point of P?!

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

It's so you can park by the side of the road at night and your bike remains visible.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I have fallen victim to P mode a few times, but the SV tail light is LED so it could probably run for a a few days before the bike would refuse to start.

The RV90 gets me more than any bike I’ve owned before. I’ve flattened at least 5 batteries on it. The first ignition switch position is ignition system on but lights off, so it looks like it’s off just sitting in the garage but really the CDI is draining the battery. I do it at least once a season

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Dec 6, 2017

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

you can always just point the bike downhill and drop clutch in gear with the throttle open a bit if your battery dies. starts right up. you can do this with a car too

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

A MIRACLE posted:

you can always just point the bike downhill and drop clutch in gear with the throttle open a bit if your battery dies. starts right up. you can do this with a car too

Slipper clutches need not apply.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Does that work even when your bike can't be jump started? For whatever reason, last time my bike died in the middle of nowhere, the tow truck driver tried to jump the battery but it still wouldn't start.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

I last did it on a carbed honda so idk about the fancy electronic poo poo. but yeah it circumvents your starter circuit. if its a fuel injected bike I have no idea if it will run, but i dont think injectors need a ton of juice

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

Does that work even when your bike can't be jump started? For whatever reason, last time my bike died in the middle of nowhere, the tow truck driver tried to jump the battery but it still wouldn't start.

Probably cause you flooded it trying to start it while you were waiting for the tow truck driver to show up.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Slipper clutches need not apply.

My zx10 was bumpable. They don't remove engine braking entirely, they just limit the back torque to a certain amount. I don't know of any engine to be so difficult to turn over that it ramps the slipper clutch trying to bump start.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Only soy-boys and she-men can't bump start a motorcycle

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I only bump start engines. Just today I started a chainsaw by pulling on the chain itself.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

I've been bump-starting my van the past week because it has two batteries worth $300 each, one of them is hosed and I'm a cheap bastard. Good thing I've got a loving steep driveway.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

I only bump start engines. Just today I started a chainsaw by pulling on the chain itself.

a god damned sexual tyrannosaurus right here

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

Slavvy posted:

Good thing I've got a loving steep driveway.

You're so Kiwi I automatically read this as a "loving sheep driveway".

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Chichevache posted:

You're so Kiwi I automatically read this as a "loving sheep driveway".

:lol: that's the best I've seen/heard in a good while, you'd fit right in here.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

A MIRACLE posted:

I last did it on a carbed honda so idk about the fancy electronic poo poo. but yeah it circumvents your starter circuit. if its a fuel injected bike I have no idea if it will run, but i dont think injectors need a ton of juice

You can generally do it with a fuel-injected car or bike as long as the battery has enough juice to turn the ECU on. If the electronics don't work, spinning the engine around won't do anything because the fuel pump and injectors still aren't running. You also need at least a little initial charge to fire the spark plugs, but the spinning alternator might give you just enough right in the moment.

A carbureted engine is very easy to bump-start. A carbureted engine with a magneto (mopeds, lawnmowers, airplane engines) doesn't even need a battery.

I once killed my car's battery dead dead, like 0 volts and not even the radio would go on, by leaving the dome light on for a week while I was out of town, and bump-starting wasn't working. I decided to wire a 12-volt lithium RC plane battery onto the car battery, which gave it enough power to run the electronics but not to spin the starter, then bump-start it in that state. Worked great. Also puffed up the battery by dramatically overcharging it in the few seconds I left it connected with the engine running; I guess ~100 amps is too much for a 2600mAh battery :jeb:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Ask me about having to fix a klx250 because the owner thought it'd be an awesome idea to try jump-starting his 24v diesel Nissan Safari with it.

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

HenryJLittlefinger posted:

Probably cause you flooded it trying to start it while you were waiting for the tow truck driver to show up.

Can you even flood an EFI bike? I think it's just British electronics being very sensitive, at least that's the word on the forums.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

You definitely can flood an efi bike but you really have to work at it. You pretty much have to repeatedly start and run it for like ten seconds a dozen times so the plugs are nice and fouled and never get the chance to self clean, and then have a pipe that makes it run sightly lean at idle, and then be a retard who gives it gas when starting.

Rev. Dr. Moses P. Lester
Oct 3, 2000

MomJeans420 posted:

When batteries get really hosed they can do nonsensical things. I've seen ones suck power from jumper batteries hooked up to them, and ones kill the bike when it was running (when detaching the jumper) even though the bike had a working charging system.

HenryJLittlefinger
Jan 31, 2010

stomp clap

MomJeans420 posted:

Can you even flood an EFI bike? I think it's just British electronics being very sensitive, at least that's the word on the forums.

Oh, good point. I'd forgotten it was a more modern bike.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MomJeans420
Mar 19, 2007

Let me start with I live in Los Angeles so I'm a total pussy for cold, but:
6 days ago - 78 degrees - sweating wearing my summer gear on the way to work
tonight - 48 degrees - freezing my rear end off on my way home, to the point where I slowed down to keep the wind chill down

Even my hands were freezing tonight, and I don't think my gloves are even a high airflow version. That said, my 100 degree gear is the same as my <50 gear, I just wear an additional jacket under my bike jacket if it's cold. I think I need to bite the bullet and get a non "air" leather jacket for the winter (I'm currently using an A* air textile jacket all year).