Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WIFEY WATCHDOG
Jun 25, 2012

Yeah, well I don't trust this guy. I think he regifted, he degifted, and now he's using an upstairs invite as a springboard to a Super Bowl sex romp.
That snake story :vince:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Was it just me, or did her antler headdress wiggle around sometimes? It kinda looked like a big spider in waiting and I hope I wasn't imagining that because it'd be uber dope if that was the case.

Dunno, but it was different every time it came out.

Inescapable Duck posted:

Spider was definitely an animal motif I was thinking of. (Could blame the last Phoenix Wright game) Might fit a bit with Loki having a bit of a snake motif, though dunno what that makes Thor. Frog?

He's being endlessly compared to a golden retriever online. Pity we'll never see Throg in the MCU, though.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I wanna see Thor joyously play with Jormungandr in the next Thor movie.

Captain_Person
Apr 7, 2013

WHAT CAN THE HARVEST HOPE FOR, IF NOT FOR THE CARE OF THE REAPER MAN?

MikeJF posted:

Also confirmed that the Commodore:

was a tribute to this:

Another of the ships was done in the style of the Tino Rangatiratanga:

Taika Waititi did so much to acknowledge and involve Aboriginal Indigenous culture (and a few nods to Maori culture too) when making this, it's really wonderful to read about.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

Captain_Person posted:

Taika Waititi did so much to acknowledge and involve Aboriginal Indigenous culture (and a few nods to Maori culture too) when making this, it's really wonderful to read about.

He even had a violent drunk.
But I got all my info on modern Maori culture from “Once Were Warriors” so I’m hopefully wrong.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Captain_Person posted:

Well the entire theme of the movie was about a state that builds itself on violent slaughter of native people then after it's taken everything rebrands itself as benevolent rulers and starts erasing atrocities from common knowledge, can't give a bigger nod to them than that.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

MikeJF posted:

Well the entire theme of the movie was about a state that builds itself on violent slaughter of native people then after it's taken everything rebrands itself as benevolent rulers and starts erasing atrocities from common knowledge, can't give a bigger nod to them than that.

Everybody already knows the Maori were brutal conquerors.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

LingcodKilla posted:

Everybody already knows the Maori were brutal conquerors.

But enough about Rugby

:negative:

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I lift my drink and sing a song

for who knows if life is short or long?

Man's life is like the morning dew

past days many, future days few

enraged_camel posted:

Thor: "Strongest Avenger"
Quinjet: Access denied
Thor: "Strongest Avenger"
Quinjet: Access denied

I loved everything about this scene, except I didn't understand the point break joke. Was his codename supposed to be a... capes joke or something?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Billzasilver posted:

I loved everything about this scene, except I didn't understand the point break joke. Was his codename supposed to be a... capes joke or something?

It was a callback to The Avengers. Tony Stark calls him "Point Break" in that.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

I remember but..... why? Was point break a TV show or what

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Billzasilver posted:

I remember but..... why? Was point break a TV show or what

It's a movie about surfers who rob banks. Patrick Swayze's hair in the film kinda looks like Thor's, I suppose.

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Oh cool, one more point for Thor ragnarok being a good movie

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
It was a much better password joke than the "Shamballa" wifi password joke in Dr Strange.

Also I swear I've seen pretty much the same joke somewhere when Tony sets Captain America's password as "Golden Oldie" or something but I can't remember where

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

Oh man thank you for reminding me, doctor strange was so much better in this than his own movie

Now there was a movie that hated itself. 90% if it's magic spells were for teleporting or regular fighting. But his one scene in Thor already had more varied uses of magic. Even the same teleportation spell was used in a more interesting way.

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 6 hours!
the best thing about that scene is dr strange leaving loki falling for 30 straight minutes while interviewing thor

Billzasilver
Nov 8, 2016

As well as thors reactions to everything

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Billzasilver posted:

Now there was a movie that hated itself. 90% if it's magic spells were for teleporting or regular fighting.

And even the teleporting was 'here's a gadget ring you use to do it.'

I had to admire the audacity of the time magic spell basically having almost the same type of UI as Stark. Just use the glowing holographic magical control knob and move it backwards and forwards.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Dec 5, 2017

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

MikeJF posted:

And even the teleporting was 'here's a gadget ring you use to do it.'

I had to admire the audacity of the time magic spell basically having almost the same type of UI as Stark. Just use the glowing holographic magical control knob and move it backwards and forwards.

That just shows how big a genius Stark is, he just intuitively designs UI reflecting the mystic secrets of the universe. :smugbert:

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Billzasilver posted:

Oh man thank you for reminding me, doctor strange was so much better in this than his own movie

Very true!

His whole dismissive attitude towards Loki was like, :confused: "What part of SUPREME in Sorcerer SUPREME don't you understand?" :confused:

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Billzasilver posted:

As well as thors reactions to everything

I liked that the magically refilling beer mug became a challenge to drink as much as possible.

GORDON
Jan 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

biracial bear for uncut posted:

I liked that the magically refilling beer mug became a challenge to drink as much as possible.

IIRC that was one of the challenges of Hercules... drink the ocean, or something like that.

Or Ulysses? IDK.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
thor and loki in the land of giants involves a drinking contest that thor undertakes and loses, later to find out that the horn he was trying to drain was connected to the world's oceans and he lowered the sea level by a very visible amount. i doubt it was an intentional reference though

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

GORDON posted:

IIRC that was one of the challenges of Hercules... drink the ocean, or something like that.

Or Ulysses? IDK.

It was a trick played on Thor in the legends. I think it was the tale of Utgarda-Loki or whatever.

Crespolini
Mar 9, 2014

Drifter posted:

It was a trick played on Thor in the legends. I think it was the tale of Utgarda-Loki or whatever.

It's a great story where they're being hosted by this group of jotuns who keep challenging Thor to increasingly demeaning feats of strength, all the while mocking him as he keeps failing. Then afterwards it turns out it was a bunch of illusions, and every task was actually some monumental and earth shattering achievement, and far from being amused they were all scared shitless by how well he did

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
There's an old Danish movie called Valhalla, based on a fantastic comic, that features the giants' challenges. Unfortunately I can't find a clip of the drinking contest, but here's clips of Loki having an eating contest, and Thor trying to lift the giant king's cat.

https://youtu.be/5jSs4pwokCg

https://youtu.be/VvNyu_p4ZPQ

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
He shoved a ham up his rear end.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Crimpolioni posted:

It's a great story where they're being hosted by this group of jotuns who keep challenging Thor to increasingly demeaning feats of strength, all the while mocking him as he keeps failing. Then afterwards it turns out it was a bunch of illusions, and every task was actually some monumental and earth shattering achievement, and far from being amused they were all scared shitless by how well he did

Thor's characterisation makes a lot of sense being taken from those old myths. There's also the one where Loki had Thor dress in drag to get into a Jotun party.

IIRC he's challenged to empty a drinking horn that's connected to the ocean (and may be the reason we have tides), and to wrestle a frail old woman who turns out to be the personification of old age. I forget the details of the eating contest and lifting the cat.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Best shot of the movie.

They reveal the secrets in the second clip, but Loki's opponent is the embodiment of fire, and the cat is actually the Midgard serpent, or Jörmungand.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 08:18 on Dec 6, 2017

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Yeah well who hasn't done that at a party?

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Inescapable Duck posted:

There's also the one where Loki had Thor dress in drag to get into a Jotun party.

In that one, a giant steals and hides Thor’s hammer. The giant demands to Loki that Freya marries him. Freya threatens to murder Thor and Loki at the thought. Heimdall convinces Thor to dress in bridal attire. The giant falls for the ruse. Thor gets his hammer back and murders the giants.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Mordiceius posted:

In that one, a giant steals and hides Thor’s hammer. The giant demands to Loki that Freya marries him. Freya threatens to murder Thor and Loki at the thought. Heimdall convinces Thor to dress in bridal attire. The giant falls for the ruse. Thor gets his hammer back and murders the giants.

I'd watch the gently caress out of that.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It's be neat if Thor gets a new weapon which has a look that echoes the traditional hammer a bit.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:46 on Dec 6, 2017

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

It would be cool if Thor got a sword because you can do spins and parries and dual wields and those are way cooler than a hammer.

Some Pinko Commie
Jun 9, 2009

CNC! Easy as 1️⃣2️⃣3️⃣!

Inescapable Duck posted:

Thor's characterisation makes a lot of sense being taken from those old myths. There's also the one where Loki had Thor dress in drag to get into a Jotun party.

IIRC he's challenged to empty a drinking horn that's connected to the ocean (and may be the reason we have tides), and to wrestle a frail old woman who turns out to be the personification of old age. I forget the details of the eating contest and lifting the cat.

The old woman was Time, not "Old Age".

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

biracial bear for uncut posted:

The old woman was Time, not "Old Age".

Like any good myth there's different versions to ensure confusion and argument.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Mordiceius posted:

I used to love the waiting room at the doctor's surgery when I was a kid, because it had a fantastically illustrated book with this story in it.

It also ripped off Little Red Riding Hood when the giants are nitpicking her appearance, and asking why she's eating so much and drinking whole casks of ale. "Oh...she fasted for weeks after hearing about the wedding, she's just really hungry"

Sereri
Sep 30, 2008

awwwrigami

MikeJF posted:

It's be neat if Thor gets a new weapon which has a look that echoes the traditional hammer a bit.

But isn't he the god of hammers?

10 Beers
May 21, 2005

Shit! I didn't bring a knife.

MikeJF posted:

I'm hoping he gets a hammer that looks like Beta Ray Bill's hammer, Stormbreaker. My bet is on Thor using his axe Jarnborn, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CheesyDog
Jul 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'd watch the gently caress out of that.

Check out The Almighty Johnsons

• Locked thread