Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

TheGamerGuy23 posted:

Outside of Super and filler, I can't think of an arc that I consider as much of a mixed bag than this one.

Red Ribbon, Buu, The middle of cell/android arc,and everything between Vegeta running away and the ginyu force are loving abysmal in the anime, filler discounted. .

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Red Ribbon is the worst bit of Dragon Ball though at least it has Tao in it, who owns. Android 8 is good too though Muscle Tower takes way too long even in the manga.

Raxivace fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Dec 9, 2017

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Red Ribbon is also a lot like the complaints against Super in that outside of Tao nothing is really a threat.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

Lots of bad opinions itt

If I wasn't on my phone I'd break them all down

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

everything between Vegeta running away and the ginyu force are loving abysmal in the anime, filler discounted. .
sad thing is that poo poo owned in the manga
dragging stuff out really took the wind out of its sails there

Sade
Aug 3, 2009

Can't touch this.
No really, you can't
There's been a few head-scratchers in the ToP (Tien episode...?) but I don't see how you could think other than that some of the best Dragon Ball ever shown on TV has been in the last 10 or 12 episodes.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

a lot of early dragon ball (ie pre first tournament) is really rough

tho I've never cared for the the super early humor, like roshi perving on bulma or goku patting people's crotches to check their gender. might just be a personal thing rather than it being actually bad

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
I can't wait for Toppo and Dyspo to potara fuse and fight Vegeta. Dysppo then starts moving like Kuro from Once Piece, basically teleporting and attacking so fast he can't perceive the target or destination but its safe because he knows he can't hurt Jiren. Vegeta then gains offensive UI and begins the desperation ki barrage he always uses, only every loving shot hits Dysppo right in the face.

RaspberryCommie
May 3, 2008

Stop! My penis can only get so erect.
I'm ready for whatever twist that's going to happen to happen.

When this arc hits, it hits hard, but it's lasted so long I'm kind of ready for it to move on.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
When they first brought up the World of Void, it was stated as being between or not having time and space. I thought that would have been a great excuse for infinite fusion Gotenks (or infinite fusion Vegetto, or whatever). From a storytelling perspective Gotenks would have been more entertaining than Tien, and from a purely pragmatic perspective I'm pretty sure two children stapled together would have been more effective than Tien.

Hell, instead of writing off Buu to bring in Freeza, they should have kept Buu and written off Tien. If there weren't cool plans for him, what's the point of having him? I like Tien and was looking forward to some insane multi-form multi-arm tri-beam spam bullshit of the highest scale, but if he's not going to get that... why even include him?

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
My theorising theory is that this next episode has nothing but invisible enemies because the art team has to take a break, or they ran out of money

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

2; Become better at playing Tabletop, both as a player and as a GM/ST/W/E

3; Get rid of this goddamn avatar.
part of what makes the Gotenks stuff even weirder is that if you look at his abilities, he is perfect for this tournament. In between long range tracking explosions, sealing people inside of spheres so they can't escape, and actually being a physical threat, he would have been a terrifying opponent in addition to whatever other magic bullshit he could pull out, because he is, like Majin Buu, literally magic, if on a smaller scale.

If you wanted weird and strange poo poo in this tournament, Gotenks is 100% ideal versus the other characters who are all straight Punchmen.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Stallion Cabana posted:

part of what makes the Gotenks stuff even weirder is that if you look at his abilities, he is perfect for this tournament. In between long range tracking explosions, sealing people inside of spheres so they can't escape, and actually being a physical threat, he would have been a terrifying opponent in addition to whatever other magic bullshit he could pull out, because he is, like Majin Buu, literally magic, if on a smaller scale.

If you wanted weird and strange poo poo in this tournament, Gotenks is 100% ideal versus the other characters who are all straight Punchmen.

That would take trunks and goten taking up two spots. Giving how bad they punked Tien though, I'd be fine with that.

Tien got his justice from team four star's take.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.
I still think there's a way to get actual humans from original dragonball to be put on level with the crazy poo poo from DB super.

And for some reason I think Ultra Instinct is it. this whole Ultra Instinct poo poo isn't a huge power boost, but being able to anticipate moves, so it's not just who can punch harder anymore.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Things escalating to UI is a literal unstoppable force vs immovable object issue. I don't really know where it would go from here for Goku & pals with it around

What I'm saying is that DB should continue on while focusing on Universe 6 after the tournament

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Fargin Icehole posted:

I still think there's a way to get actual humans from original dragonball to be put on level with the crazy poo poo from DB super.

inject them w S-Cells obviously

let me tell you about my Dragonball fanfic, where Krillin uses the dragonballs to wish he was retroactively a Saiyan, and thus gets a power boost for every rear end beating he ever had

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Lunatic Sledge posted:

let me tell you about my Dragonball fanfic, where Krillin uses the dragonballs to wish he was retroactively a Saiyan, and thus gets a power boost for every rear end beating he ever had

finally, krillin will become stronger than vegeta was when he was first introduced

Justin_Brett
Oct 23, 2012

GAMERDOME put down LOSER

Minion of Freya posted:

I can't wait for Toppo and Dyspo to potara fuse and fight Vegeta. Dysppo then starts moving like Kuro from Once Piece, basically teleporting and attacking so fast he can't perceive the target or destination but its safe because he knows he can't hurt Jiren. Vegeta then gains offensive UI and begins the desperation ki barrage he always uses, only every loving shot hits Dysppo right in the face.

But those always hit, it just doesn't do anything.

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

a lot of early dragon ball (ie pre first tournament) is really rough
Those episodes/chapters are not my favorite but I still think they do a good job establishing a lot of the core characters, the Dragon Balls themselves, and hell even sets up an ongoing "mystery" element with the Great Ape transformation at the end.

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Raxivace posted:

Those episodes/chapters are not my favorite but I still think they do a good job establishing a lot of the core characters, the Dragon Balls themselves, and hell even sets up an ongoing "mystery" element with the Great Ape transformation at the end.

that got cut real quick much like the act of cutting off that dang'ol tail he had

Darko
Dec 23, 2004

Lunatic Sledge posted:

When they first brought up the World of Void, it was stated as being between or not having time and space. I thought that would have been a great excuse for infinite fusion Gotenks (or infinite fusion Vegetto, or whatever). From a storytelling perspective Gotenks would have been more entertaining than Tien, and from a purely pragmatic perspective I'm pretty sure two children stapled together would have been more effective than Tien.

Hell, instead of writing off Buu to bring in Freeza, they should have kept Buu and written off Tien. If there weren't cool plans for him, what's the point of having him? I like Tien and was looking forward to some insane multi-form multi-arm tri-beam spam bullshit of the highest scale, but if he's not going to get that... why even include him?

Difference between Buu and Gotenks is suspension of disbelief and how stupid the characters are.

When Buu gets serious, he's not dumb, and he has waaaayyyyy too many OP abilities for this kind of tournament.

Gotenks is and will always be the dumbest idiot on the planet and writing would lead to him being ringed out first, probably.

So the writing would either lead to writing Gotenks in character getting tossed out the ring by some rando for being dumb, or having Buu, who wants to "play" with everyone, get knocked out for forgetting he's putty. They decided to instead give the OG characters some ring outs and moments, which were hit and miss.

CharlestheHammer
Jun 26, 2011

YOU SAY MY POSTS ARE THE RAVINGS OF THE DUMBEST PERSON ON GOD'S GREEN EARTH BUT YOU YOURSELF ARE READING THEM. CURIOUS!
Plus if Gotenks unfuses they have 8 fighters and that is breaking the rules.

So you would have to drop someone else for them.

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow
It's me, the only person in the world that prefers Tien and Krillin over nearly all of the Saiyan characters.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Darko posted:

Difference between Buu and Gotenks is suspension of disbelief and how stupid the characters are.

When Buu gets serious, he's not dumb, and he has waaaayyyyy too many OP abilities for this kind of tournament.

Gotenks is and will always be the dumbest idiot on the planet and writing would lead to him being ringed out first, probably.

So the writing would either lead to writing Gotenks in character getting tossed out the ring by some rando for being dumb, or having Buu, who wants to "play" with everyone, get knocked out for forgetting he's putty. They decided to instead give the OG characters some ring outs and moments, which were hit and miss.

Good.

Gotenks or Buu being knocked out in episode 1 or 2 and failing to accomplish anything and reminding the top 4 that no, they are mortal, and if they gently caress up they too can be knocked out and that's it, they don't have to lose a fight, they just have to fall off the ring, would have given this arc the tension it lacked until Jiren showed up.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.

Star Man posted:

It's me, the only person in the world that prefers Tien and Krillin over nearly all of the Saiyan characters.

There are many who feel such. Up to and including "I'm the only one."

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

Star Man posted:

You're not but nothing interesting happens with them is all

drilldo squirt
Aug 18, 2006

a beautiful, soft meat sack
Clapping Larry
I would pay money to see Krillin in a sitcom type deal with 18.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

It'd also be kind of hosed up to have two Actual Children sitting in the stands watching other universes get erased.

Stallion Cabana
Feb 14, 2012
1; Get into Grad School

Nessus posted:

It'd also be kind of hosed up to have two Actual Children sitting in the stands watching other universes get erased.

you mean an actual kid like Genos?

graham cracker
Mar 8, 2004

"There is no God! Right, Mama?"

"True."

I want the tournament of power to end with everyone being brought back and then driving cars in a grand prix style race to determine the victor because zen chans decided fighting is boring.

Black August
Sep 28, 2003

I am convinced Yamcha will literally save them all by introducing baseball to the Zen-chans and dooming everyone else to lose to U6 and U7s incredible four-base swagger

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Nessus posted:

I think they'd be alright considering they fought Buu moments after he ate their family and friends on Kami's lookout. But mostly I wish Goten and Trunks had more to do in Super. Goten has to be the most under-utilized Sayin especially since he's also Goku's kid and should have amazing potential.

Speaking of wasted potential, Super will ultimately be a failure to me if Gohan doesn't has some insane power-up waiting to emerge by the time it runs its course.

Black August posted:

I am convinced Yamcha will literally save them all by introducing baseball to the Zen-chans and dooming everyone else to lose to U6 and U7s incredible four-base swagger

I wonder if the Zen-chans would be more a fan of small-ball and strategy rather than just mashing astronomical dingers.

Reiche fucked around with this message at 10:05 on Dec 9, 2017

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Small ball sounds neither "waku waku" nor "doki doki"

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Saagonsa posted:

Things escalating to UI is a literal unstoppable force vs immovable object issue. I don't really know where it would go from here for Goku & pals with it around

What I'm saying is that DB should continue on while focusing on Universe 6 after the tournament
Maximum over-instinct.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I have no idea what I'm doing... you could call it Ultra Instinct.
This is a level beyond having no idea what I'm doing... [chugs bleach] you could call it Ultra Instinct 2
And this.... this is to go even further beyond... [buys an Xbox One]

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Nessus posted:

Small ball sounds neither "waku waku" nor "doki doki"

Introducing baseball to Zeno would lead to the erasure of all universes due to unfathomable boredom.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021

Stallion Cabana posted:

you mean an actual kid like Genos?

Genos is 19 and kills tons of monsters so I think he's more prepared to witness universal non-existence than most. His dumbass universe 3 is getting cleared out though.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Jiren vs King...

Even Jiren has to fear the roar of the King Engine

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Dias posted:

Introducing baseball to Zeno would lead to the erasure of all universes due to unfathomable boredom.

One word.

Blernsball.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.

Stallion Cabana posted:

They (very accidentally) positioned Tien to have wushu magic in his recruitment episode. Then they jobbed him out as 100% a Punchman, and not even a very good one. If he could do weird tricks like Roshi, maybe he could stick around longer than it takes to do a failed Kikoho.