Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Today I mourned a rock dove.

I was walking home from the station, through a shopping street decorated with lights, but there were very few people around. As I was walking, I noticed a white, black-spotted object on the ground and prepared to walk around it. At first I thought it was probably some printed paper, but as I passed it, I saw it was distinctly bird-shaped. So I stopped, set my bike aside, which I was pulling along as the batteries in my lamps were out, and examined the lifeless bird closer.
It was definitely a rock dove, and it seemed to almost have crashed, the way it was lying. The one thing I especially took note of was the small pool of red next to its neck, but very few feathers scattered around. The dove did not react at all when I reached down to pick it up. But when I did pick it up, I could feel the muscles all seemed relaxed, and if I did not support its head, it slumped about.
This was probably a bird I had taken note of before, when looking over the wild birds on the plazas in the city. A very pure white plumage with clean, black spotting strewn about, a distinctly marble-like pattern. I think it must have been a healthy bird until just before. Something must have cut its neck, it was the only place I could see any damage, if it had been attacked by another animal, it would probably have been mutilated.
No-one else was about, so mourning the dove like this, I had to think of what to do next. I thought it would be irresponsible to place it back onto the street, or even just leave it along a building, but I couldn't bring it along either, to a park or similar. The only option was sadly to place it in a trash can and offer it a burial by cremation. With those thoughts I carried it in both hands to a large bin, carefully lifted it inside, and said a silent good-bye as I let go. Thud.

I wonder if it was the seasonal illumination in the street that had come in the poor bird's flight path, or something else. And if my bike lamps had been charged, I would just have zoomed past, never seen what was on the side of the street. I didn't take any photos, it felt like it would be poor taste.

So yes, I mourned a rock dove.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

"When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber."

Grimey Drawer
That's a lovely tribute to the bird. Thank you for sharing it with us nielsm :unsmith:

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
Environment question: Moka, Quaker parrot, is apparently averse to flying. Knowing that, would it be safe to let the budgies I have out of their cage to fly around? They spend their days in the same room, so I assume the birds at least know each other. Is it a case of try and look at how Moka reacts to the other birds flying around? It's just a bother to be alternating who is out of the cage constantly, and I feel bad for leaving the other inside their cage more often now. Just asking in case someone has previous experience with a similar case.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Steve had TWO long spray baths in one day

nielsm posted:

Today I mourned a rock dove.

Thank you for giving a poo poo about the little things in life, and a random little bird

StarMinstrel posted:

Environment question: Moka, Quaker parrot, is apparently averse to flying. Knowing that, would it be safe to let the budgies I have out of their cage to fly around? They spend their days in the same room, so I assume the birds at least know each other. Is it a case of try and look at how Moka reacts to the other birds flying around? It's just a bother to be alternating who is out of the cage constantly, and I feel bad for leaving the other inside their cage more often now. Just asking in case someone has previous experience with a similar case.

Things to consider: potential toe biting through the bars, how curious/pushy the budgies could be, if Moka would take off instinctively when startled

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION
There has been a sad lack of birbvideos showing up on my youtubes in the last few months, however I would like to link this video and channel and recommend it for goodbirbvideos (tm)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SuEyR3SdbZ4

If you watch only one clip, make it the last clip.

Nov 3, 2015

Give me all your crackers
Hermes has passed.

1500 fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Dec 11, 2017

GoldStandardConure
Jun 11, 2010

I have to kill fast
and mayflies too slow

Pillbug
poo poo, so sorry to hear that.

Everyday Goast
Nov 27, 2011

spoopy

Sorry to hear 1500 :(

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

Aw Hermes. So sorry 1500 :( But how sweet and lovely that he got to spend his last days out of his cage together with you, of his own choice no less.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Sorry 1500 :(

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004
Hermes :(

We are keeping him and you as well 1500, in our thoughts today....it was so sweet though that he wanted to spend time with you near the end :) He seemed like he was an awesome little bird man buddy!!

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

RIP good bird Hermes. We are here for you, 1500.

murphyslaw
Feb 16, 2007
It never fails
Sorry to hear that 1500. Sounds like you gave Hermes a lot of love near the end, I'm sure it was greatly appreciated.

Mirthless
Mar 27, 2011

by the sex ghost
i'm so sorry 1500. :( it's never easy to lose a friend. you're in our thoughts.

artichoke
Sep 29, 2003

delirium tremens and caffeine
Gravy Boat 2k
So sorry to hear about Hermes, 1500!

Forsythia
Jan 28, 2007

You want bad advice?

Anything is okay if you don't get caught!

... I hope this helps!

Some sweet Christmas birbs.

uranium grass
Jan 15, 2005

So sorry for your loss 1500.

Oldsrocket_27
Apr 28, 2009
I'm so sorry 1500.

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007
I'm so sorry to hear that, 1500. Hermes was very loved.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

I've been offering Inko the side of a fist to step up on to lately, after his surprise attempt last week. The other day he stepped up, after much thought, on to the side of my hand next to thumb, below all the fingers, and instantly shuffled on off up my arm. Today he did it again!

I later offered again, and he put a foot on to my index finger (still in a fist), but leaned his beak down-I told him No Bite, he sort of stared at me for a few seconds, stepped back off and away. Apparently if he doesn't get to bite a fingat, he's not going to try again today.

E: Actually it's bedtime so I offered again and he stepped on to my thumb knuckle, Good Bird!!

Battle Pigeon fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Dec 12, 2017

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I've got a bad biting problem with Agrippa. Once he entered bird puberty, he's started biting my finger hard enough to draw blood every time I make him step up. I suppose the best course of action is to make him do step up training frequently, but I'm reticent to invite a poo poo-ton more bites when I already have like five cuts on my hand healing at any given time.

Nov 3, 2015

Thank you everyone.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer

Halloween Jack posted:

I've got a bad biting problem with Agrippa. Once he entered bird puberty, he's started biting my finger hard enough to draw blood every time I make him step up. I suppose the best course of action is to make him do step up training frequently, but I'm reticent to invite a poo poo-ton more bites when I already have like five cuts on my hand healing at any given time.

Remember the great inspirational quote: "my only regret is that I have but one finger to give for my birb."

Or, the last words of Benjamin Franklin: "post some motherfuking pigeon pics please."

Eifert Posting fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Dec 13, 2017

LITERALLY A BIRD
Sep 27, 2008

I knew you were trouble
when you flew in

1500 posted:

Hermes has passed.

I know words are never enough to deal with the passing of a loved one but, I'm so so sorry. :(

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
1500, I am so sorry to hear about Hermes.

Suntan Boy
May 27, 2005
Stained, dirty, smells like weed, possibly a relic from the sixties.

I'm sorry about Hermes, 1500. He was a good borb.

mikerock
Oct 29, 2005

Condolences about Hermes, giving Scout some extra scritches tonight.

Eejit
Mar 6, 2007

Swiss Army Cockatoo
Cacatua multitoolii

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah stop with that for the moment. Get a dowel rod and start touch training.

Present the rod and say touch and when he boops it with his beak, give reward. If he is clicker trained that's even better as you can click the moment he touches it with his beak.

Then get him stepping up on to the dowel with the step up command. Reward the same way. Once he does that a lot, then do touch and step up with your hands.

You need to disconnect whatever link there is in his brain that adds biting to stepping up. Making it a task that brings reward is going to be a far more productive use of your time than getting hit and reinforcing the behavior.

Battle Pigeon
Nov 7, 2011

I am dancing potato
give me millet

??? how and when did you even

Excuse me

What are you doing

ANGRY 'tiel (*hiss* *bonk*)

"gently caress"

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Battle Pigeon posted:

??? how and when did you even

Whenever the crest scrapes against the ceiling like this, it always makes me think of classic bumper cars with a pole touching the ceiling.
I think 'tiels would enjoy bumper cars.

Tendai
Mar 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Steve-ing intensifies

:kimchi:

Nov 3, 2015

https://i.imgur.com/hlfdP48.gifv

Kenshin
Jan 10, 2007

1500 posted:

*snip*

oh my god, the cutest pigeon bath

Potato Salad
Oct 23, 2014

nobody cares

Aeeee3eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

that is frickin adorable....

Cricket will not get under her wings wet except for maybe 1x a week.... i have her trained now to lift her wings when I tell her I need to smell her birdie pits to make sure she doesnt stink. Then when I say "Yay! No stinky birdie pits!" she yells out "YAY!!!" lol

birds and baths make me smile :)

Nov 3, 2015

Disco Salmon posted:

that is frickin adorable....

Cricket will not get under her wings wet except for maybe 1x a week.... i have her trained now to lift her wings when I tell her I need to smell her birdie pits to make sure she doesnt stink. Then when I say "Yay! No stinky birdie pits!" she yells out "YAY!!!" lol

birds and baths make me smile :)

Post video :colbert:

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Eejit posted:

Yeah stop with that for the moment. Get a dowel rod and start touch training.
I've never done step up training with a stick because he just totally freaks out at any kind of handheld perch. Any way to get around that?

Here's the little bastard now

Halloween Jack fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Dec 13, 2017

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

My handbirb

https://twitter.com/noxvillewy/status/941041870817415173

Disco Salmon
Jun 19, 2004

1500 posted:

Post video :colbert:

Y'know I keep trying to get video for my mom, but as soon as she sees the phone/camera she instantly hushes up. I've only been able to get her a few times filmed and even then its been a long wait to get it. I'm working on it though, hopefully can get her to do it and film it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nov 3, 2015

Halloween Jack posted:

I've never done step up training with a stick because he just totally freaks out at any kind of handheld perch. Any way to get around that?

Move the stick to as close as he will allow before freaking and give him a treat. Then move it just a little bit closer and give another treat. Repeat this until you can put the stick on his cage (it could take weeks/months before you get that close, so go very slowly), then start playing the touch game (target training). I was able to train Bonny to step up doing this.

Target training is a very useful tool.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqtptXFyb2c

Target training game is a great way of getting birds to interact with things they are scared of and to distract them from something they are scared of. I was able to get Bonny used to the rest of the house by doing target training around the house, because she would get a treat for touching the end of the stick she focused on that and got over her fear of other objects. Bonny loves target training, and it was a great way for us to bond.

1500 fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Dec 13, 2017