Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wangsbig
May 27, 2007

i am moving to kitchener ontario and there seems to be exactly two gyms that viciously hate each other

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

vaginal facsimile posted:

This has probably been asked 1000 times before, but, what's a good number of hours to train a week? Right now I'm at 4 and it's fine. I'm not sure if I could do more though. This is just a hobby for me, I would like to get a blue belt in a year. Thanks.

you can do more if you want .. up to a certain point which youre unlikely to hit as a hobbyist you can do as much as you want. if youre planning any major increases in work rate then make it a gradual increase or youll pay for it in any number of ways though. injuries, fatigue, stress (which leads to illness and injuries), etc. its no good training a 20 hour week when you still have a 4 hour a week physique

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

Wangsbig posted:

i am moving to kitchener ontario and there seems to be exactly two gyms that viciously hate each other

kill them all

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Yuns posted:

NYC has quality schools so densely packed. You can get out at Penn Station and walk to Renzo's, Marcelo's and Unity (Miyao's) in just a few blocks.

Clockwork is close too. Good school -- those dudes don't care about ANYTHING

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

omg chael crash posted:

Clockwork is close too. Good school -- those dudes don't care about ANYTHING

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y5J_kao6mwA&t=7s

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
We have 3 main black belt instructors at my gym and a few other black belts that frequent from other gyms. Currently there's a 2nd degree blackbelt from Brazil staying with us until January. I rolled with him and literally could not even touch him for 5 minutes. My brown belt friend said he rolled with him 3 times and experienced the same thing.

It's scary to think there are dudes out there who are even better than that guy too. Basically what I learned this week is I don't train jiu jitsu. None of us do. We all just gently caress around on the mats, and then you go up against a real grappler and realize oh... oh yeah I would die if I actually had to fight this guy.

butros
Aug 2, 2007

I believe the signs of the reptile master

Bubba Smith posted:

We all just gently caress around on the mats, and then you go up against a real grappler and realize oh... oh yeah I would die if I actually had to fight this guy.

And to think I just get that feeling just loving around on the mats...

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Bubba Smith posted:

We have 3 main black belt instructors at my gym and a few other black belts that frequent from other gyms. Currently there's a 2nd degree blackbelt from Brazil staying with us until January. I rolled with him and literally could not even touch him for 5 minutes. My brown belt friend said he rolled with him 3 times and experienced the same thing.

It's scary to think there are dudes out there who are even better than that guy too. Basically what I learned this week is I don't train jiu jitsu. None of us do. We all just gently caress around on the mats, and then you go up against a real grappler and realize oh... oh yeah I would die if I actually had to fight this guy.

I get your point but I disagree with that exact characterization. Everyone was a white belt at one point, including the savants who take down world championships. That there's an extremely high ceiling which only a small fraction of a small percentage will ever get close enough to see doesn't mean that the rest of us aren't training jiu jitsu and having our own journeys.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Speaking of promotions

Looks like I'm a bluebelt now!

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Seltzer posted:

Speaking of promotions

Congrats dude. That's awesome.

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Seltzer posted:

Speaking of promotions

I dunno man, It looks like it could be white and gold.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

I.N.R.I posted:

you can do more if you want .. up to a certain point which youre unlikely to hit as a hobbyist you can do as much as you want. if youre planning any major increases in work rate then make it a gradual increase or youll pay for it in any number of ways though. injuries, fatigue, stress (which leads to illness and injuries), etc. its no good training a 20 hour week when you still have a 4 hour a week physique

Yah I'm going to push myself to 6 hours next month I think and see what happens. Do you practice BJJ inri?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Seltzer posted:

Speaking of promotions

Congrats!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Seltzer posted:

Speaking of promotions

Congrats!

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!
Thanks everybody! I still feel like I barely know anything but apparently that's how most people feel. Time to get a shoyoroll and BJJ tattoo

Novum
May 26, 2012

That's how we roll
We've got three blackbelts at my gym, but we are not really a BJJ gym

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

When does the sore throat feeling go away? Please don't simply say when I get good. Thank you.

Mekchu
Apr 10, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

When does the sore throat feeling go away? Please don't simply say when I get good. Thank you.

Recently I got that again and it went away in a few days. No more than a week. If it is longer it's because you're deepthroating your opponent while in North/South position and should probably stop.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"

When you stop getting guillotined

I.N.R.I
May 26, 2011

Yah I'm going to push myself to 6 hours next month I think and see what happens. Do you practice BJJ inri?

yeah its something i picked up for fun while im in my off season, theres a gracie barra near here and its cheap. i trained about 3 months last winter doing maybe like 6-8 hours a week on top of my winter workload and this year im doing about the same, i'll do it til about feburary and then its back to cycling full time until nov.

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Protect ya neck

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...

consider tapping faster the next time someone is literally choking you so hard they're damaging your trachea

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Twister poo poo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8a3WQ4fMh7A

Digital Jedi
May 28, 2007

Fallen Rib
After 3 months being injured, lazy and some health problems I finally managed to go to class last night.

I hurt everywhere and loved every second of it. It felt great to be back.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

I got my buddy with the calf crank from this setup last night. This is a really really good explanation of how to take the truck from the turtle, too.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Part of our team out getting ready for no gi worlds this weekend
https://www.instagram.com/p/BctHdF1h41N/?hl=en

Odddzy
Oct 10, 2007
Once shot a man in Reno.

Yuns posted:

Is that Ethan?

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

Yuns posted:

Fat

ihop
Jul 23, 2001
King of the Mexicans
God drat Gordon looks weaponized.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

Odddzy posted:

Is that Ethan?
Yes. He's put on some mass.

Our competition team looks like the results of the Marvel Weapon X program these days.

Yuns fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Dec 16, 2017

Marching Powder
Mar 8, 2008

stop the fucking fight, cornerman, your dude is fucking done and is about to be killed.
lol gordon's been hooking up the crew i see. good luck to those insanely dangerous people!

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

Craig Jones with a heel hook
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRFYfSasVjI

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I did a heelhook seminar with him maybe a year back and a lot of his entries look pretty similar: make a weird x under their body and then slide one leg straight until the saddle appears. Iirc we did one from SLX and one from butterfly guard that followed the same idea. Very cool stuff though. His leglock DVD just came out today, I am going to devour it.

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

Gonna have to try this tomorrow! That looks tremendous.

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
I love Faria's accent/enthusiasm mix

old.flv
Jan 28, 2017

A good lad who likes his Anna's.

I do that 'claw' entry in butterfly all the time - I'll have to check out his other entries and moves because I always just use it to suck myself into the underhook or slow my opponent down.

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

JaySB
Nov 16, 2006

I mean.....Same same

Michael Transactions
Nov 11, 2013

JaySB posted:

I mean.....Same same

Ya its tough...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

02-6611-0142-1
Sep 30, 2004

I got recently graded for the first time in a couple of years. I got bumped up from no-stripes-blue to four-stripes-blue but my coach said he wouldn't give me a purple until I stopped doing spinneroonies and demonstrated that I knew some fundamentals. WHAT is this BULLSHIT